Was it really about the moon landing, native American genocide and the holocaust all at once?

Was it really about the moon landing, native American genocide and the holocaust all at once?

it was about many things because kubrick used all his turbo-autism and invested every atom he possesses to make a picture that works on multiple paradigms.

You can just boil it down to American history. All the stuff is there it's just not explained. I guess we'll never know.

It is also walks a fine line between comfy and horrifying. I've always liked that aspect.

Is Room 237 full of shit or is there some merit to what they say in it?

the only valid theory is the native american thing, everything else is pure autism.

I think the recurring theme of the native american genocide is pretty clear.

A lot of it is full of shit, they made the mistake of allowing actually crazy people in on it, then again if you know that going in it's entertaining. Like the woman who thinks the skiing poster is obviously a minotaur and how clear it is and the filmmakers show a clear blu-ray shot of it while she's saying it. Or the boner guy.

it's really just about boredom and lunacy at the end of the day. Great flick, 8/10.

Underfunded and hurried out. It actually makes theorists look like drooling idiots. I really wish that doc was never made.

>holocaust
He was talking about foundation myths.

How do you recognize a foundation myth? It fulfils three functions.

1) It explains the origin and structure of the world (and society).
2) It defines ultimate good and evil (and from those definitions are derived the values that are used to justify the holding of power).
3) It determines what is held sacred in that society.

For modern Westerners the story of WWII has become their foundation myth. It fulfils all three functions.

1) We live in the ‘Post-War World’. The lines on the map, the institutions, the sense of what era we live in, all arise from the starting point of WWII.

2) Ultimate evil is Nazis. Ultimate good is opposing Nazis. The values derived from these definitions are anti-racism, equality, diversity, anti-nationalism and so on.

3) The only thing that is held sacred, that cannot be denied or mocked in the contemporary West, is the Holocaust.

The problem is that all three functions are backwards or negative.

Instead of the origin event being one of fertility and new life, it was a conflagration of death and destruction.

Instead of ultimate good taking the central position in the story that slot is occupied by ultimate evil. Everyone knows that Adolf Hitler, the personification of evil, holds the centre point of the WWII story.

Instead of that which is held sacred being something mysterious and sublime it (the Holocaust) is an obscenity.

Having a negative foundation myth means the tree of life for Westerners is poisoned.

This is by jew design.

What the fuck did he mean by this?

It's just masturbation by people with too much time on their hands.

He became a ghost.

he's always been the caretaker

>kill Scatman Crothers
>try to kill your wife
>molest your son
>get to become an eternal party ghost instead of going to hell

literally just lying the post, kys you fucking mong

>it's really just about boredom and lunacy
I wonder why more people don't think about Kurbick movies like this. There's always a big conspiracy around everything he made (except the movies he made that nobody talks about).

You sure showed him, Levi.

the shining was about:
>kubrick's nostalgia for the gold standard
>moon landing
>indians
>pedophilia
i think that's about it. capeshi/tv/ just can't comprehend there used to be movies that were about more than just one thing.

It's a decent starting point if you are not familiar with the Shining and the multiple theories about it.

>about the moon landing, native American genocide and the holocaust all at once
Well I sure fucking hope so, as it was shit at presenting the story of the Torrances taking care of the hotel

People like to smell their own farts but I honestly believe Kubrick was just having fun.

The Native American thing is pretty clear, and seems to have been intended, given the changes from the book and how often it appears. Other than that, no, those theories are all crazy.

And do so many people here really think Room 237 was supposed to be a serious examination of fan theories about the The Shining? It's a documentary about obsession and reading too much into things. Making everyone seem progressively more crazy was exactly the point.

>molest your son
I don't remember this?

When Jack is alone with Danny and made him come over to the bed and was wearing different clothes in the next scene.