Is an adaption of The Sandman really impossible?

I think it could work as an HBO series

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/5934937/concept-art-from-the-sandman-movie-that-never-was
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well they already adapted Lucifer so i don't see why not

It's very possible, its not like it's just abstract ramblings or something. Adaptations are rarely 1:1 which is something people tend to get hung up regarding discussion of them.

I wouldn't call what they did to Lucifer an adaption.

What is sandman about? Should i start reading? I saw those books a couple times at the comic store but ive never picked one up

Sandman is about this magical being thats vaguely amoral who teams up with a tough-talking female cop. They use his ability to see into people's dreams to solve crimes but he's ancient being with a skewed morality, so it leads to misunderstandings.

The Endless are timeless beings that represent various forces in the universe - The "Sandman" is Dream/Morpheus and he is the main character of the series. Its a vertigo series so its the darker side of the DC universe - more magic/horror/other realms etc...

I'd recommend the first volume, see if you like it and continue from there.

>In PRELUDES & NOCTURNES, an occultist attempting to capture Death to bargain for eternal life traps her younger brother Dream instead. After his 70 year imprisonment and eventual escape, Dream, also known as Morpheus, goes on a quest for his lost objects of power. On his arduous journey Morpheus encounters Lucifer, John Constantine, and an all-powerful madman.

>Tilda as Desire
Good casting, but I feel they'd be more likely to hire up-and-comers rather than known faces.

But no it's not impossible, a movie just isn't the proper format. The story of Sandman is too dense and there's too many amazing storylines and characters that won't get their chance to shine. Hell, the last guy hired to pen the Sandman script said as much.

We could've gotten a good Sandman movie with David Bowie cameoing had Jon Peters not fucked up the script. The original idea was that the movie would fuse Prelude and Nocturnes with Season of Mists into one plot, something Gaiman liked until he saw further drafts.

I watched that Death of Superman Lives doc recently and it just reminded me how much of a moron Jon Peters is

concept/pitch art from a cancelled version of the Sandman film

io9.gizmodo.com/5934937/concept-art-from-the-sandman-movie-that-never-was

>For several years, a film based on Death: The High Cost of Living, to be called Death and Me, was under production at New Line Cinema. Gaiman wrote the screenplay, and would also direct, with Guillermo del Toro as executive producer.
>On October 14, 2010 it was reported in an interview with Gaiman that as of June or July, DC and Warner Bros. had closed down work on the film and it was unclear if they would start it up again.

;_;

Only one I like is destruction.

someone please put the edit of this with danny devito

Whoa, is that CHARACTER ACTRESS Margo Martindale?!

Always picture a black actor painted white playing Dream. Can't tell you why.

we need someone with more cheekbones for Dream. Tilda Swinton totally has the look for Desire, but I don't think she can pull off the sexual energy properly

I Think an adaptation wouldn't be the way to go, Sandman is very unique and it works very well as a comic book, if there were to be a movie, I hope it's one with an original story, one that uses everything the media has to offer, just as Gaiman's series did.

the problem is some volumes are too long or simply won't work as movies, while other are too short for a long series.

I can't see more than 4 HBO 10 episode series from all Sandman

It's hard to explain concisely what's it about, but I'll try my best.

Sandman is, at it's very core, a story about stories, of perception or lack thereof, a story of fantasy and reality, of wants and needs, a story of growth and of pain in pleasure, all you do is follow the sandman, which is a very unique and beyond morality, but you see him meet some very human, very flawed beings, and you notice that even beings beyond gods can be flawed.

I mean I can see it, I don't know if I want it but I can see it.

If they went bone white with all of the endless I could get behind it.

Sandman isn't even that hard to adapt. It has pretty straightforward story lines.

If they could pull off Legion alright, they can do Sandman

I guess nightmares are still dreams.

>If they could pull off Legion alright, they can do Sandman

This. We've see plenty of comic adaptions on film and tv that dealt with complex narratives and unique visuals. It baffles me why an adaption of Sandman has failed so many times.

Adapt book 1 as a movie then do the rest as a series.

Sandman will work better as an animation.

Not every fucking comic needs a big hollywood blockbuster dammit. Some shit should just be left alone.

Sandman would only work as a straight-up animated affair or with so much CGI it pretty much already is a cartoon.

I'd call it lots of things, but none of them are 'an adaptation'.

>Why does Mazikeen have A FACE

I don't deserve this. I've lived a good life.

Lucifer was lots of fun to watch, you nerds need to get over it.

I should start the second season...

I will respect your terrible life decisions.

I just refuse to acknowledge the show as an adaptation of the comic.

No one asked you to. It's not even billed as an adaptation, because no one in the mainstream ever read the comics.

And now I am sad.

Mash the Dr. Destiny story with the Corinthian story (have the Corinthian steal the gemstone, running across America spread fear and panic via nightmares and his own killings). Dream is released from his bonds in the first act, has to chase the Corinthian down with his new assistant (which could be either Matthew, Nuada or someone human, like Rose). The whole story would naturally have the theme of "dreams", but more specifically be about the culture of fear in America.

I think that would be straightforward story provided you kept all the mythology about the Endless out of it for the most part.

I also think Benedict Cumberbatch would be great for the part, even though that seems like typical "nerdy" marketing choice

Why must Del Toro always tease us

You don';t have to look at it as an adaptation, just a tv series starring Lucifer(he's not an OC, you know)

It's still a plebby as fuck police procedural show and it's still awful as fuck, but it's not because they aren't adapting the comic.

This.

ikr

Oh fuck off.

>Death

The creators of the show haven't ruled out including The Endless in the show, so a Sandman adaptation may be unnecessary anyway!
Who knows, maybe they'll use it as a backdoor pilot for their CSI:Miami style spinoff and you'll get your own show from it later.
Lucifer Miami: Sandman
Death could be the lovable medical examiner that always knows precisely the cause of death the second they walk in the room. Just like the other CSI shows!

fuckno

Can we get MEW as Death?

Wouldn't have been my first choice. the cgi costs might add up.

it's trash

Solid casting.

I know this is bait but I was still triggered

Well we also got movies like Watchmen that where good but it could have been way better if it was a 6 hour miniseries

But that's absolute proof of why they can't.

Given how shitty Walking Dead, Preacher, and Shield are, I am 100% certain that TV Sandman would reek like anus that wasn't washed for a year

Was that the one where he was going to fight a giant spider?

That was Nic Cage as Superman, but everyone should fight a giant spider.

Superman Lives

The walking dead being shite has alot to do with the studio. The first season was really good then amc fired frank and reduced the budget

There was actually a Sandman movie in production before that, and when that project fell through the producer moved on to Superman Lives. Fun fact, after Superman was nixed that very same producer went on to make Wild Wild West.
Anybody remember what happened at the climax of that movie?

Giant. Metal. Spider.
Jesus Christ this guy just doesn't give up.

Jon Peters is insane. The Death of Superman Lives documentary really proves it.

Go away, Satan.

I picture Desire less as "androgynous" and more like "super conventionally beautiful, but with a somewhat masculine face", like Allison Williams.

Williams works. Someone like Chastain works too.

wew

If Tilda Swinton were a bit younger, she's the obvious choice. Especially going off her performance of Gabriel in the Constantine movie.

Shit, I forget his name, but an artist died earlier this year that tried to pitch the film with Gaiman again. There were some amazing illustrations of the whole Key to Hell arch, with all of the gods in Dream's throne room.

>Mazikeen has a face
>disgust, but also disgust.png

is there a recommended way to read this series?

always thought it looked cool but never sat down to read any

Start at issue #1 and go from there.

thx love

>hbo
lol literally the second worst cable channel have you seen their shitty adaption of A song of Ice and fire

You'd have to show some pretty amazing visual effects in some of the storys and I don't think a TV show is up to that. A movie on the other hand would be too short and no producer would have faith in it probably. Why not make an animated series instead of this live action shit?

Start at issue #1, not Sandman: Overture. Overture is a "prequel" but acts better as an epilogue

I think it could work as a high budget radio play

A really long one