Rick and Morty

After what Sup Forums kept saying about this show I expected it to be wall-to-wall obnoxious Reddit humor. Basically, a sci-fi Big Bang Theory or worse. I watched season one just to see how it would get. What I saw was really more of a science-fiction version of latest seasons of The Simpsons. Which is to say, nothing great, but nothing particularly terrible and better than I expected.

It's an OK show.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/funny
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

upvoted

>to see how bad it would get

It's enjoyable enough for what it is. The meme-hate it gets on here is just as bad as the circlejerk it gets over at Reddit.

S2 is way worse

that was the first season

like Community it gets worse later on

Sup Forums tends to exaggerate everything. its definitely not anything or even close to being as bad as big bang theory.

I think the only reason Sup Forums has problems with it is because it can get a bit repetitive. Rick's old cooky drunk thing gets stale after awhile and it tends to rely on random and crazy events for laughs rather than written clever jokes or what have you.

its not bad at all, in fact upon first viewing season 1 its probably one the best animated comedies in awhile. but as soon as it got the least bit repetitive Sup Forums decided to connect it to reddit because its easier to scape goat a website or entire community rather than actually explain your criticisms. i'm guilty of that, too, though, to be completely honest. i tend to assume most SU fans have browsed tumblr at least once.

Season 1 probably had an 8/10 episode average. While S2 still has a very high average of 7/10 or so, it started getting less consistent and has a few objectively bad episodes, like Space Cable 2. People are expecting 3 to be even worse, and episode 3.1 didn't exactly prove everyone wrong.

This may have already been stated but I'm watching through the first episode of the third season and every time Rick transfers to a new body his body instinctively starts drooling to create the spittle that's always around his mouth. It happened with the Money Bug and happened with the Rick's he jumped into.

The problem with rick n morty Sup Forums has didnt have anything to do with the actual show. Its more the reddit fans and recently the april 1 fiasco lol

Sup Forums liked season 1 when it was just some random show on adult swim.
Then it started getting really popular so Sup Forums naturally had to turn on it.

Its a good show, and also not the best show.

Its the new meme to hate it on Sup Forums, just like anyone that tried to say BOTW was 0/10.

>Then it started getting really popular so Sup Forums naturally had to turn on it.
Pussies.

You really do need to get into the mindset of the faggot atheist Redditor to understand why this show is so popular. These people have never heard of adult animation in their lifes that wasn't stuff like Family Guy, it was completely alien to them. And they can't laugh at these shows because they consider these shows stupid. They want a show that isn't necessarily smart or funny or well-written, but that appears to be to appeal to their surface-level taste. Because these people live for that mindless self-validation. They don't actually understand what makes for good writing or good comedy, nor have they ever picked a book about physics. They want to pretend they do so and circlejerk themselves, that's what matters. Rick and Morty is just perfect for its demographic: these same college-age self-important Bernouts who "fucking love science". The entire foundation of the show is built upon the dichotomy between "silly sci-fi humor and references" and " things are super deep and tragic bro". This pseudo-intellectual "nothing even matters, I'm insecure about existence, we are all going to die" bullshit that R&M shits out in almost every episode is what appeals to it's audience. The show doesn't actually have the tact to even begin to offer an interesting presentation and discussion of any philosophy, so it spouts these edgy teenage catchphrases. Nevermind the bean-headed, noodle-limbed unexpressive character design, or how the story is non-existent and only comes up when the writers beg you to feel something for these characters so devoid of substance, or how the entire show is a trendy forgettable scenario of the week memefest with just enough sci-fi references to trick kids into thinking they are smart for understanding them, or how the characters have somehow been reduced to even more obnoxious caricatures than before, none of these things matter. What matters is that it appeals to the millenial redditor audience, and that's what's selling Rick and Morty

Reddit isn't Big Bang Theory. Reddit is "Futurama but edgier." Not to use it as an insult (what's wrong with Reddit isn't necessarily their taste in media), but Rick and Morty is definitely "very Reddit."

It's more hated for its insufferable fanbase which mostly consist of redditors that insist its the best thing ever because they've never seen any other adult cartoon besides FG and South Park. It also doesn't help the show genuinely becomes shittier in tandem with the creators growing egos.

>Reddit is "Futurama but edgier."
Are you serious? My impression is that most of Reddit consists of smug uber-normies who are too normie for even Futurama plus a few small forums for obscure shit that don't partake in the culture.

I don't know where you got that impression from, but I'm impressed that you've never been to Reddit even for like a link or something.

The reddit stereotype is a fedora-tipping atheist who is too thin-skinned and self-aggrandizing for Sup Forums, but too much of a contrarian to make it in normal social media. Basically a Sup Forums-goer who is afraid to type "nigger" because people he doesn't want to hear the blow-back.

Episode 3.1 was amazing, fuck off you reddit contrarian

Rick & Morty was loved on here when it came out. Now that it has exploded in popularity, the contrarians on Sup Forums just call it "Reddit," as if that means anything.

Rick & Morty is a great show. The criticism that it is "Reddit" is so embarrassingly superficial that I feel sorry for all of the people who make threads bitching about the show.

Sup Forums doesn't like anyrhing that can't be a good meme material. RaM is serious and doesn't wink to the spectator: Hey, chill out mate, it's just for lulz man. That kind of production is "that will never do" for 4channers.

Season 2 had two bad episodes, while season 1 just had one. Season 2's episodes were just better overall; the highs were higher than season 1's.

Season 3's premiere was awesome, too. I can't take anybody seriously who believes that the show hasn't gotten worse.

>while season 1 just had one.
which?

Raising Gazorpazorp.

I misused "bad." I wouldn't really consider that or Get Schwifty bad, but they are mediocre.

Interdimensional Cable 2: Tempting Fate is fucking bad, though.

>being this deluded
3.1 was literally a continuity reset. All that shit about Rick being in prison, sacrificing himself for the family and Earth being under aliens? — fucking gone. It's not like the show wasn't already pretty much episodic with minimal lore and character developement, but they threw even that out the window. And not even in any spectacular way.

>RaM is serious and doesn't wink to the spectator: Hey, chill out mate, it's just for lulz man

Literally every episode of this show I've ever seen has had fourth wall breaking "haha, this show is sure a tv show" joke in it.

>character developement, but they threw even that out the window.
I don't know man, I kind of disagree. Aside from the ending rant (which as far as I can tell is mostly an ad-libbed joke), what did he do to show that? He saved the kids, and Jerry leaving wasn't even set up by Rick himself - he just wandered into the situation and Jerry put his foot down.

>the story proceeded differently than my expectations, so it's a continuity reset
Oooh-lah-lah, somebody's gonna get laid in college.

What is "reddit humor". Give me an example of a specific joke from a television series that is "reddit humor" and explain to me what makes it so, please.

I don't post on/browse reddit, and I don't really understand why we're so mad at them all the time.

There's a fan theory that it's a side-effect of abusing those brain-enhancing fruits he made Morty stuff up his ass in season 1. It's pretty much frying his brain, but he takes more to cancel it out, with the side effect of constant drooling.

It explains why he's that much more competent than all the other Ricks. And any episode where you see a Rick NOT drooling and burping, that's probably an AU Rick story. I haven't tried checking if any episodes feature a non-drooling Rick, but it's possible.

There must certainly be other Ricks abusing this fruit, however our Rick is the Rickist.

I didn't mean the rant. I meant the reason he went to jail. He wasn't sacrificing himself, it was part of his long game plan to wreck both the Ricks and the Government.

>story proceeded
>proceeded
It didn't proceed, faggot. That was my point. Rick going to jail and Earth getting federalized was set up as some huge "things will never be the same" shit, and then everything went to the way it was in an episode. The Fed still exists and still hates Rick, and the council also still exists and still hates Rick. Literally nothing fucking changed.

>What is "reddit humor".
reddit.com/r/funny

>Interdimensional Cable 2
>worse than Get Schwifty

how

also I thought the Unity episode was pretty lame

oh yeah and the Tiny Rick/marriage counselor episode was shit too

You do realize that's like almost half of S2

Yeah I'm disagreeing with the guywho said it only had 2 bad episodes. Also disagreeing that Interdimensional Cable 2 is one of the bad ones

nice blog, Ayn Rand.

It's a legitimately great show. The only 'circlejerk' is the hate circlejerk which sprung up here very recently (basically on 4/1).

It's very much a more focused spiritual sequel to Series 1 Futurama, making full use of the content-leniency of its modern network.

That does make sense, actually.

I went through the memory parasites episode since there was some theory that it was an alternate universe with an alternate Rick but he drools in that one. Most of the episode he's drool free but it shows up a couple of times.