How come DC hasn't done anything with CIA?

How come DC hasn't done anything with CIA?

I'm asking this seriously. Surely comic book companies would appreciate this sort of stuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7whgBWylB-M&t=1s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Best character desu, not even memeing , sure he got BTFO by Bane but the guy was performing a high alttitude interrogation and giving CIA procedure the middle finger

Agreed. Surely he'd work in at least some greater context within the wider DCU.

Probably as a reluctant ally to gordon

I could see him as an ally or more likely underling to Amanda Waller.

That would make a great scene to see.

>the guy was performing a high alttitude interrogation
That's how you know this guy gets shit done

Maybe baneposting is a little too obscure for them.

Sure it get's tiresome, but hey if the character is STILL producing memes today surely he's worth giving a chance right?

Remember that rumor that ran for a while about Deathstroke being pkayed by the same guy as CIA? Imagine how glorious that would had been
>pins Batman dow
>WAS GETTING CAUGHT PART OF YOUR PLAN?

I doubt baneposting is that obscure as memes go.

Someone once made this great headcanon about how Bill and Slade Wilson were related -- Bill was the brother who wanted to do good.

CIA is greater than slade ,pal

Guys....you dont know right?

Suplementary meterial seemed to indicate that the CIA guy was actually....

Deathstroke.

Seriously.

This meme has gone too far and only highlights how creatively bankrupt Sup Forums is.

he survived the plane crash right?

Yeah, and he became Deathstroke

I'm pretty sure King and Chris McKay are known Baneposters.

I couldn't take Deathstroke on Beware the Batman seriously once they revealed he used to be CIA.

No.

They don't own the character outright. Nolan - one or both - owns him, because they created him. Using the character in other media would mean negotiating payments to the Nolans. Using Littlefinger's likeness to base the character on would probably involve paying him every time the character appeared.

Comics don't really make a lot of money. The market as a whole is still under a billion annually, and DC's share of that is relatively low and has been for years, and of that share they're required to pay not just for the usual costs of production but, apparently, for creators who get a payment every time their characters appear, because DC just folded after the Siegel/Shuster lawsuits and decided to have everything involve a token payment instead of saying "lol no it's ours now" like they tried to do with Superman.

So to answer your question: because they're cheap and they ain't doing so good. Besides, they've got thousands of characters they could use instead already.

>I couldn't take Deathstroke on Beware the Batman seriously once they revealed he used to be CIA.

What, you're shitting me....

>In "Twist", it is also revealed that he is both Slade Wilson (a former CIA agent and protege of Alfred Pennyworth)...

Oh, fuck.

Is the payment to movie people different? I remember that Paul Dini said that he and Timm don't receive the royalty payments for Harley that say, Dixon does for Bane, because they created Harley for the cartoon instead of the comics so WB wouldn't allow it.

Of courshe!

Mrs.Waller, I'm Checkmate

Masketta Man and CIA are the two biggest loose ends of TDKR. Seen here Masketta clearly fakes his death. And CIA obviously not dead in the plane crash as we saw no body.

I thought DC/Warner would own the character since it's part of the greater Batman franchise. If Nolan owned even a bit of those movies I suspect it would be a huge legal deal.

Beyond that I can't see him caring about CIA in specific.

Hahaha WHAT

>I could see him as an ally or more likely underling to Amanda Waller.
CIA ain't hard enough to roll with the Wall.

It's possible they could write in a separate deal for Nolan to get separate rights but it probably would just belong to DC. Should be no different from Harley Quinn, Music Meister, etc. New characters in adaptions pretty much always go to DC. I don't know why he'd think it would be different here.

So this guy DOES get shot

huh

That's precisely why I want to see her with Waller.

yeah you see his dead body around the same time you see Foley dead

>So to answer your question: because they're cheap and they ain't doing so good. Besides, they've got thousands of characters they could use instead already.
Yeah anything you can do with CIA you could do with an agent from the DEO, Checkmate or Task Force X.

>Guys....you dont know right?
>Suplementary meterial seemed to indicate that the CIA guy was actually....
>Deathstroke.
>Seriously.
>>In "Twist", it is also revealed that he is both Slade Wilson (a former CIA agent and protege of Alfred Pennyworth)

You guys are memeing me right?

What is this "Twist" story? Why doesn't Sup Forums know about it?]/spoiler]

They don't have the meme potential

Besides, they haven't made bane look like his superior movie version

CIA could be a poor man's Phil Couson for the DCU.

>CIA could be a poor man's Phil Couson for the DCU.
>CIA
>Poor man phil coulson
>Implying CIA is not already better than Phil Cuckson

It's the penultimate episode of Beware the Batman.

Here's the reveal:

youtube.com/watch?v=7whgBWylB-M&t=1s

When you write a script under WGA rules, you own all the rights in that script. If you sell them - whether you sell the script outright, or option it for a period of time to another party who *might* make it - which rights you're giving up depends on your specific contract.

So even if you're writing a Batman movie and DC/WB own Batman as whole cloth, the script that they're buying from you - the words, the order things happen, the things that you chose to include in the way that you chose to present them - are yours to sell. DC/WB can then change those around (unless they've signed a really dumb contract with you) and, if they change enough, they no longer have to credit you on any movie they make out of it. But as a starting principle, if you create a character for them, then unless you've given up the right to it, you must then be identified as the creator of that character in all subsequent appearances, regardless of who now owns it. In the original appearance, it's usually enough that you get a writing credit (original characters tend to get cut when new drafts are written by other writers).

Arising out of that are other rights - merchandise rights, for example. And if you're starting from a position of strength in your negotiations, you wouldn't automatically give up those rights in full in return for a big fat one-off paycheck, but hang onto them, even if you were only asking say x% of the gross merch sales. If the Nolans are smart, that's what they did. If not, they're idiots.

As for Littlefinger - his contract is also separate, but generally using an actor's likeness to market a toy or whatever means paying the actor for their likeness. As he's the only guy to play the character and is the 'iconic' version, there wouldn't be much point deviating from his likeness. Even without explicit contract rights, he could still sue successfully for a percentage (and do very well out of it, no doubt, if there were a market for merch).

(Was killing this thread part of your plan?)

Nolan blocked the studio from making any second rate cheap spinoff of CIA to preserve his artistic integrity. It's best for all of us really

I kek every time

Unless you have some evidence there's no precedent to suggest that DC/WB wouldn't write that the characters are theirs into the contract when they do it with literally every other adaption.

the fucking plane scene ruined any mention of bane or the cia.

>tfw Nolan got the CIA being dorky strivers right

Your best bet would be Young Animal since they have those silly bane coloring pages in their books

They've never attempted to use the character other than in tie-ins to the original release despite his evident popularity.

Unless you have some evidence they completely own him, they don't.

Then again, it's possible they don't precisely know whether they do or not due to the wording of the contract, and they're just playing it safe because nobody wants to pay lawyers to figure it out.

Just because they don't want to use a character who only exists as a meme doesn't mean they don't own the rights to him. They own a lot of characters they don't use.

You are making a lot of assumptions here when that's just not how they operate.