Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Dike
youtube.com/watch?v=R6da9U6Xjd8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

HUNTINGTON

*disappears*

more like
*gets promoted to some comfy staff function elsewhere*

I haven't watched Band of Brothers in close to a decade, why was Dike so rapidly promoted despite his pure incompetence? Did he have family in high places?

based spears

He was part of a rich or military family. Happens all the time. They get rushed through training. Slapped with a officers rank. Problem was to get any higher you needed combat experience. So these full of themselves assholes went out to command men with little idea of what command or respect was.

What's the best BoB episode and why is it We Stand Alone Together ?

SPEIRS GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE

He had a close family member who was a ranking officer somwhere within the 101st I think.

they showed this again in the later episode with colin hanks, but in the end his character was smart enough to defer to the experienced soldiers and moved on without doing anything too retarded.

> go to cav school
> get out as a lieutenant
> volunteer for airborne
> go to parachute school
> get sent as a replacement officer
> fuck up
> get fired
not much to it really

one of the best box sets too because it's like a ammo container

>Dike
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Dike
Made it all the way to ltcol

youtube.com/watch?v=R6da9U6Xjd8
best scene

Does anyone know where I could find this online for free?

WO IST FEGELEIN!

are you posting these as you watch the episode? you're posting these memes in order.

If you have an Ipad or smartphone you can get a month of HBO Go for free. Binge everything and cancel your subscription.

man i havent seen this show in so many years. why the fuck does he literally stop in the middle of nowhere for NO reason

You apparently werent in a combat situation before, just like Dike.

When grenades explode left and right near you, and people die and you hear nothing but fucking MG fire, you probably will shit your pants, too. Now imagine you havent eaten in days, its cold as fuck, you are in constant danger, have slept 3 hours a day for the last 3 weeks and you are about to lead 40 men into combat and you have no idea how to deal even with the simplest attack pattern.

Been a while since I watched BoB, can someone reexplain Spiers to me? All I remember was that he was like folktale to the new recruits, killed some PoW, and then charged during Bastillone. Still based tho

I don't question the severe fucking stress you would experience in a situation like this but the other dudes are obviously following and don't think for a second to stop. Unless he rather randomly decides in the middle of the run that maybe this field with no cover might be a good place to go over the plan again.
Like fucking why there.

Because he has no idea what to do, simple as that. Hes losing it, thats why hes constantly asking for Foley when he should relentlessly press forward.

A FENCE

OH THAT DOG JUST AIN'T GONNA HUNT

After reading this it seems he sorta got a raw deal in the miniseries. He earned a bronze star for rescuing soldiers under fire at bastogne and he was injured in the shoulder which is what stalled him at Foy.

One guy says that he was injured and that caused him to stop, but lipton, speirs and winters all agree about the fact he completely lost it.
So no, I wouldn't call it a "raw deal", when so many accounts of soldiers call him an incompetent dabbler at the time, it seems to be pretty unanimous among ex E company soldiers.

Severe stress can make you freeze up, like literally shut you down.

got a penny
got a penny
GOT A PENNY

No way that medal wasn't a consolation prize for being a rich connected fucker. Some medal's aren't earned.

no

dude bronze stars are handed out like candy

>have college degree
>know someone high up in the military (half-bird and above) or some well-known congressman/senator
>not be Private Pyle retarded
>get commissioned as a butterbar
>1st Lt. is basically guaranteed
>to become Captain you need to complete Ranger School (not the RASP/spoopyops group) and after that O-3 is basically guaranteed
>to become a Major all you need are masters and PHD degrees plus tenure
>to become a half-bird colonel and full colonel you need to start sucking up to whos who while taking foreign policy and national defense courses in DC

The other dudes are seasoned veterans who have (mostly) been fighting since D-Day, and the only thing they have to worry about is the guy in front of them shooting at them.

Dike has to worry about himself, every man there, the men shooting at him, and the success of the operation.

I fucking unironically use this line all the time, fucking love it.

Why were only some of them wearing white camo?

Who the allies? Have you ever watched the show? They barely had bullets.

Dike wasn’t command material like Spiers or Winters were. Him being a weirdo autist who didn’t fit in and who didn’t have the respect of his subordinates was a big issue.

WHERE THE FUCK IS EVERYBODY?

God dammit you assholes I guess I need to rewatch this series.

Literally impossible for them to have casted Winters better.

>yfw he runs back

What is this?

>tumblr
no way fag

Yes, each of us needs to pick ourselves up!!!

Time to get back to living instead of sitting on Sup Forums all day

uhh peaches sir

Lt user thinks this is a can of peaches, that is incorrect, your shitposting pass is revoked

This is United States Army property which was TAKEN from my mess facility without my authorization and I will not tolerate thievery in this unit

peaches

I fucked up it's actually "Your weekend pass is cancelled

it really doesn’t matter user. no one is gonna downvote you dumb dumb.

IT HAS TO BE RIGHT

that's okay it's not too bad

Always trips me out Lee was from BSG is in the show a little bit

uu a can of peaches sir

Michael Faggbender is also in the show a little bit user, freaked me out the first time I recognized him

Shit what scene is he in? I vaguely remember it but thought it was just a really convincing look alike.

Also James McAvoy and Tom Hardy

He's the one who had drank from his canteen and got shat on by Sobel in the first episode. He is also seen in many other episodes here and there. I think he even survived to the end

Oh fuck I don't remember about McAvoy at all

>we HAVE to defend our granddaughters right to racemix!

He plays Private Christenson, the guy who DRANK FROM HIS CANTEEN, that gets offered a smoke by Speirs just after he overheard him talking with two ther privates about his POW handling methods. Not a big role, but he's always around.

kek

What the fuck? Are you sure? His lips made me think it was him but he looks really different for some reason in that scene.

The replacement private that has to lay down his D-Day badge (and who gets killed in the retreat at the end of the episode)

Welp fuck me. This show was a gold mine

Yeah quite sure

Yeah just looked it up. I really thought that was what you were talking about but was convinced it couldn't be. Turns out it's his second credited role. Damn

Apparently Falon is in the show as well, but only for a very brief moment.

Yeah he plays the guy in a jeep from the 3rd armored that gives easy company ammo when they arrive in bastogne at the end of ep 5

>fucking Fallon of all people

is it true that easy company never actually discovered that (((concentration camp))) but they were shoehorned into that story?

lol that wouldn't surprise me one bit

yep

it's all on the wiki page
iirc they went through i but didn't discover it

One of those "noble family member that need some real experience points for their career" cases.

>Hey, turns out this Hitler guy was doing some real bad stuff
>*sarcastically* No, really?
>No I mean some REALLY bad stuff

I always knew that rat bastard (((Hanks))) was no good.

Is that Simon Pegg?

yes
how underage do have to be not have watched Band of Brothers and already know this?

ayup

They weren't the ones to discover it but they still went through it. Can hardly call that shoehorning.
In the bonus documentary We Stand Alone Together (if you watched Band of Brothers, fucking watch We Stand Alone Together please, it is fucking beautiful), Winters actually talks about this, and how he felt towards Germans for a bit afterwards.

shut up retard

Oh fuck, you got me good kiddo.

Yup, dies at the beginning of episode 2 off camera. Rip

>MEDIC

My battalion commander was no more than a function retard.
>lose weapon twice
>three negligent discharges of his weapon
>"that's the enemies turf, we don't go there"
>our brigade commander who had cancer, called him cancer
>when I was wounded, he visited me in the ICU
>kept going on about my kids
>"I don't have kids Sir"
>"sure you do"

Got his full bird Colonel after that deployment.

Like the Army Commendation Medal is the "thanks for showing up" deployment award for enlisted, the Bronze Star is the equivalent for officers.

Do troops not wear dog tags anymore?

Not sure what you are immediately referring to, but we still do.

Dog-tags only list name, social security number. blood type, and religious preference.

> 16 years since it came out
> only 10 episodes
> almost daily threads on Sup Forums
I'm glad I didn't miss on the shitposting even though I only watched it a few months ago

>not watching it on Christmas
c'mon man

This battle was one of my favorites from the show. Fuck why was Pacific so bad.

Here's to hoping he will do less damage as a colonel. How do these promotions work over the battalion level ? Was he promoted directly by a general or is it just "normal" career path by this point ?
Where were you deployed ?

Some guy in some other Sup Forums thread about cliches said

>soldier out of boot
>still wears dog tags

Like it wasn't a thing anymore

I watched the first 3 episodes and each one felt like it should have been the first one.

My gf is the usual does not like war movies. But she fucking sat and watched this show enthralled. I watch it every couple of years since it came out.

The show and the book it's based on should not be taken as fact. A lot of shit is straight up wrong because "historian" Stephen Ambrose is a hack.

it was split up with too many characters and different unit, instead of the one we followed from beginning to the end in BOB.

Pacific wasn't bad, it had some really good scenes and some really great characters.
It's just that the pacing was a mess, from full on depressive desperate atmosphere to relatively boring scenes away from combat. But each character had a great arc, it probably should have been edited differently to be more immersive I think.
But I enjoy it more at each rewatch, skipping the boring parts and focusing on the best ones.
I think rewatching it lets you focus more on what you didn't have the time to properly register the first, get more attached to characters which names you forgot on the first watch. At least it did for me.

>Winters is not the central protagonist in the last 5 episodes
that's what always bummed me out about BoB

>the convent scene
>choir
>soldiers start fading away

every episode has a different main protagonist

He is in the last though.