Hamilton Cartoon

Animated adaptation of Hamilton musical anounced:

youtube.com/watch?v=JcWihWPVu5o

youtube.com/watch?v=X04-9LE6EOA

youtube.com/watch?v=7Z6U9WaZXkY

youtube.com/watch?v=2oE7Ysc9DJg

youtube.com/watch?v=Zi1mHw4X1Pk

Okay, not really. But would you like it? Who would you like working on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eKdc9429GwM
lawcomic.net/guide/?p=4929
thedreamercomic.com/comic/?id=590
shoomlah.deviantart.com/gallery/
youtube.com/watch?v=-IXFKdwdR_A
youtube.com/watch?v=RGubhKCjrJU
youtube.com/watch?v=qqfEkkNVRDQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I remember the first time I heard about Hamilton I didn't realize the whole cast was race swapped and it cracked me up that they made Burr, the most violent and impulsive VP in history a black guy

I enjoy Hamilton but it waters down the whole slavery thing. It's mentioned a couple times but like, Ham himself had slaves.
And the fans can be a bit much.
I would prefer it as a live-action movie though. I always like Revolutionary War movies, and that plus rap would be fun.

It'd be tricky. The temptation would be to be all reverential and shit, either to the founders or to the stage production, and that's deadly. Animation would really help tell the story if it was freed from having to resemble the staging or being all omigod about it. Instead of the king just kinda standing there singing, under a hundred pounds of costume, he could prance around in his high heels lifting the skirts of his coat and acting over the top, for example.

What's the one with the dogs during the revolution? That was good animation skills. Get them on it, just lose the animals and the blah direction. [Found it. Pups of Liberty. youtube.com/watch?v=eKdc9429GwM ]

Maybe have these two do the storyboards: lawcomic.net/guide/?p=4929 thedreamercomic.com/comic/?id=590

And this one do character design: shoomlah.deviantart.com/gallery/ (oh wait, she already got started on that)

The musical works better as seeing as its own thing, with changes made for the sake of a better story.

This said, I learned a lot of cool shit about people of the time after researching a little about it,

>And the fans can be a bit much.
an understatement. To be fair, they take after the cast

Meh, the musical is chock full of historical inaccuracies, but they're forgiveable because they serve the narrative. "But it's how it really happened" isn't an excuse for bad storytelling. When it comes to slavery, leaving it out was a good call.

Chernow's book was the primary source material, and it says Hamilton was a strong abolitionist. But on the other hand, there's plenty of evidence that he might have owned one or two house servants, and certainly bought some slaves for his brother back in the islands. In reality Hamilton probably had a slight dislike of slavery but didn't care enough to make a stink about it, especially if it would have hurt his social climbing.

That's not good narrative. There's no conflict, no growth, no arc. Spending a song on that would be as relevant to the story as spending a song on what color socks he preferred.

I think the thought of presenting the founding fathers as a bunch of black men is silly and unrepresentative especially when you could, instead, do plays and musicals about whatever great people are from Africa. or, you know, the actual black guys of America like Martin Luther King or Peter Spencer, or Nat Turner, or Martin Delaney. All of whom are 10x more interesting than Hamilton.

Music is bomb as hell though I forgot who wrote this but he's a great songwriter.

>Hamilton berates Jefferson for having slaves

Always makes Hamilton seem like a hypocrite

>trips

I have the impression that if you kept the aesthetics that they were going for, it could be a great show.

It could have some basic vibes and anachronistic stylization, like some sort of "American Samurai Champloo".

they actually cut a Cabinet Battle about slavery because they felt it didn't really serve the story or the characters since the whole point of the song was that they didn't do anything

>Spending a song on that would be as relevant to the story as spending a song on what color socks he preferred.
I dunno man, the musical takes every chance it gets to shit on Jefferson for owning slaves anyways, so it's not like it would be out of place to discuss Hamilton's own slave-ownership.
It was a little more relevant to the Revolutionary War than the color of his socks.
And like I said, I LIKE the musical, and everyone gives good performances, but having people like Jefferson and Washington be black really undermines the fact that slavery was a racial thing. John Laurens' goal for an all-black battalion in the show seemed kind of pointless

Yeah I listened to that on the mixtape. I can get why they cut it out.

>It could have some basic vibes and anachronistic stylization, like some sort of "American Samurai Champloo".
Dude that idea just made me pop a boner.

Maybe something like this but in a webisode format.

I can't imagine decompressing or the musical into a series or cutting it to make a movie working well.
So maybe if every webisode was one scene and if watched back to back, you'd just get the full musical animated.

Might help with managing the budget enough to get some good animation as well as providing a platform where they could be a bit more experimental with the visuals.

I like clipping. Daveed Diggs is a pretty good rapper.

Whatever the quality of Hamilton I'm happy that it got clipping onto late night shows

Wow, alright, I figured no one would know what the fuck I was talking about. Not even Sup Forums cares that much about clipping.

Why people focus so much on this part? The musics are good and the musical is overall very enjoyable in part because of the chemistry of the cast.

Honestly I would complain if they had made it on a cartoon or movie,but on a musical I don't care very much.

Nah, just get the cast to make a film of it.
It's inevitable anyway.

It's possible to be an abolitionist and still own slaves. John Jay owned slaves but was also a fierce abolitionist who eventually (after multiple attempts) was successful in abolishing slavery in New York where he was governor and giving emancipation to slaves. Most of the founding fathers were both slaveowners and anti-slavery and there's no real dissonance there: the reality was you couldn't just go "welp all slaves are freed" because their livelihoods depended on work that was done by slaves and that's not something that's going to be easy to just stop.

They had a music on the musical exactly about that, but they dropped it.

Now seriously....what is the most underrated music? And why it is Hurricane?

youtube.com/watch?v=-IXFKdwdR_A

The second:

>"In the eye of a hurricane
>There is quiet
>For just a moment
>A yellow sky"

Always gets me.

Farmer Refuted, but Hurricane is also really fuckin' good

Mite b good.

All I know about it is that its popular, Puerto Rico is Detroit level bankrupt and is apparently part of America, Moana had great songs that he wrote, and the real history since history is awesome. Also he pulls off the name Miranda in a masculine way.

I'd go see it.

>Also he pulls off the name Miranda in a masculine way.

Well, as a surname, it's not really much of an issue. Those don't get changed based on gender unless your some kind of degenerate Slav.

Besides, Miranda is a big name in Spanish American independence, anyway,

I find they're in between a rock and a hard place. If they do another "muh slavery/civil rights"work, then it just reinforces the idea that this is literally all they have and aren't being creative. If they try to implement black actors into traditionally white roles and stories, expect the WE WUZ to come flying out. I fucking hate the latter more than the former, but I empathize with their position. Nobody wants to see African myths or kangdoms, beyond maybe Africans themselves.

This is funny considering what Netflix announced as their first animated movie.

Well the situation that it boiled down too was have slaves, or have no union. Surprised they didn't include Baron Von Steuben in the play. You'd think the play willing to bend history a bit would include a gay Prussian General for diversity reasons.

What is Netflix doing?

Their first animated movie, it will be an R rated movie about George Washinton, speciphicaly the revolution, done by the guys that did Archer.

This animatic of it is good.

youtube.com/watch?v=RGubhKCjrJU

I like the visuals that the artist was looking for, shame that he got lazy in some parts.

>a gay Prussian General
What the hell is with Prussia and all its gay generals?

A Frederick the Great musical would be fabulous

Does the play show the time Hamilton called Jefferson out on his bullshit when he tried to flood the US with refugees from the French Revolution?

kind of? There's a song about how the US shouldn't get involved with the French Revolution, it doesn't touch on refugees though

The Adams administration, in which a great deal of the crisis unfolded in, is completely glossed over. They make it out that John Adams dismissed Hamilton from his position first day in office, manipulated into that position by Jefferson.

If there's one thing that steams me about Hamilton, its glossing over Hamilton's post-war warhawk bullshit and the hatchet job it did to Adams and his efforts to resist both Hamilton and Jefferson trying to throw the USA into a war with either France or England.

Immigrants get the job done.

I hope it is not a comedy.

>It could have some basic vibes and anachronistic stylization, like some sort of "American Samurai Champloo".

Fund it.

I wish they made a version of this with white people so I would actually watch it

they did, it's called 1776

Bit I like Hamilton's music, not this other one.

well then you may have to put up with those uppity niggers

The edgy kids are here already.

1776 doesn't cover hamilton's life or the revolutionary war. I want to hear about Lafayette

>it is ok to change white characters to black but not to change asian ones to white

Fuck you im gunna make Gandhi staring Daniel Day Lewis as Gandhi

But I don't want this.

I mean, I guess I'm fine with it existing, but it makes me angry that I know it exists, if you dig.

I kind of hate it on principle

White broadway homosexuals aren't as good at singing as black ones

I guess I should Clarify, it's not because of KANGZ, although, I can't see how refusing to cast whites isn't a rights violation, but rather because I hate the notion of some millennial hip-hop musical.

I was fine with Black Caesar at the Globe that one time.

is this like a "you damn kids" thing

how do you feel about Rent

it depends on the homosexual

youtube.com/watch?v=qqfEkkNVRDQ

I was fine until I learnt that it was based on an Older Play.

Now I hate it on Principle. Honestly, I just hate the notion that a Musical gets the same kind of Prestige a Play or an Opera gets.

Going to the Book of Mormon isn't being Culture, you stupid Millennials.

You're all just vapid cunts, and I hate you and your obsessive Pop-Culture dependent existence.

I'd kill them all in one breath

ah, the theatre purity autist

I can respect that

If it was made by a Living person, it probably sucks, desu

this is taking "you damn kids" to a whole new level

although the creator of Rent is dead so?

Of AIDS?

Also, he was alive when I was, so fuck him

his heart exploded the night before the first preview

>I just hate the notion that a Musical gets the same kind of Prestige a Play

Literally the only difference between a musical and a play is the advancement of plot and characterization through song.

Welp, part of me feels bad, but then I remember the gay dude who used to blast that shit all the time

If that song is in English, go fuck yourself.

there are English operas, yanno

Show me one English Opera that compares to Nabucco, one.

And don't be posting Gilbert and Sullivan.

I smug at thee

>Try to make a Sup Forums bait thread
>Get derailed by one Theater elitist who likes anime somehow

theatre autism doesn't have a regular outlet on this site unlike every other possible interest so it just sort of builds and festers until it is unleashed in a torrent

I fucking love Daveed and I appreciate Hamilton for introducing me to his music.
But he did this documentary about baby animals from around the world and his voiceover was just not a good fit lol.
Body & Blood bangs

The animatics people do for Hamilton are pretty cool and I admire the artists, they always make the characters look so pretty and anime-ish though. That one is pretty good.

Congratulations, you are a faggot.

>Try to make a Sup Forums bait thread

I...just want to talk about an animated adaptation of Hamilton. I couldn't give less of a fuck for the colour of the characters.

I remember them stopping the show more than once, because there was a person in the audience that they were politically against.

I think you remembered wrong.

This never happened dude.

A Lafayette musical would be pretty damn depressing all things considered.

Though if the ending is the ceremony where Stanton declared "Lafayette we have arrived" during WWI that would be pretty cool.

Huh. Really enjoying these Hamilton songs.

It IS pretty good, the characters are likable and all in shades of grey, the progression of Hamilton's and Aaron Buur's relationship is well written, being probably one of the fairest portraits of the guy in pop culture.

I don't get why people become so easily to trigger here with things like this, I just see it as Samurai Champloo in early america. Meanwhile Japan makes their historical figures into busty girls fighting in bikinis on harem shows.

>Animated adaptation of Hamilton musical anounced:

Better than a live action movie.

>tumblr style animatics

Goddamit user.

Huh. Really enjoying these Hamilton songs.Eh. I have no idea about any of this stuff since I'm not American. Just enjoying the plot and the songs. Give me my show tunes!

The one about Wait for It is pretty cool, I liked her idea of using the ghosts of Bur's family to sing along, like haunting memories that hold him, and the end gives me chils with the foreshadow of their duel. It's this kind of why I think that an animated adaptation would be better than a movie.

Also, I dig the semen demons of the genderbend one.

That'd be amazing if it was real. Are there any examples of similar rap musicals that I could check out?

Not american too, but this shit showed me that these historical figures are really interesting people, I got really surprised when I reasearched further.

Nah Hamilton sucks

>first major "black" musical
>lolitsgotrap

im with the theatre autist, musicals are cancer. Plenty of works done by black playwrights get no attention because they're not musicals but some "Hispanic" (we all know lmm is white) guy writes a racebent history piece with rap in it and the upper class whites love it. Hamilton is a modern minstrel show

You remembered wrong mate, taken from Hamilton's YMMV page on Tv Tropes

>During a performance in which the recently elected 2016 Vice President Mike Pence attended a showing, the cast took the time after the showing to call him out for his views on immigrants, as well as their own comments on their hopes and worries about his new role as VP. While many saw it as a Crowning Moment of Awesome, others felt it was rather unprofessional of the cast to call out someone who had simply arrived to enjoy a show. For what it's worth, Pence has said that he was unoffended by their comments, and even recommended the show to many. Some Take a Third Option, not being disapproving of the message delivered by the cast but criticising the audience, who kept booing him throughout the show, and Twitter users complaining about Pence simply going to see the show and being hypocrites about mocking #BoycottHamilton supporters given many of these people also defended safe spaces and banning public talks for views they disagreed with.

>Meanwhile Japan makes their historical figures into busty girls fighting in bikinis on harem shows.

I believe but...I need a source...

so like do Shuffle Along, Porgy & Bess, Dreamgirls, half of Ragtime, The Wiz, Ain't Misbehavin', Hot Mikado, and The Color Purple not count or something

there's Miranda's other show, In the Heights, but hip-hop/rap isn't really a popular musical style for musicals otherwise

The guy wrote the music is the same guy who played Hamilton, he also did all the music in Moana

Lin Manuel Mirands

Anybody watched it with the new cast? How it is compared to the older ones?

Also, why people are so obsessed with the race of the cast?

You could also just post the transcript of the speech instead of going off of TVtropes.

>Thank you so much for joining us tonight. You know, we had a guest in the audience this evening. And Vice President-elect Pence, I see you're walking out but I hope you will hear us just a few more moments. There's nothing to boo here ladies and gentlemen. There's nothing to boo here, we're all here sharing a story of love.

>We have a message for you, sir. We hope that you will hear us out. And I encourage everybody to pull out your phones and tweet and post because this message needs to be spread far and wide, OK?

>Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us here at Hamilton: An American Musical, we really do. We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us — our planet, our children, our parents — or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us.

>Again, we truly thank you for sharing this show. This wonderful American story told by a diverse group of men [and] women of different colors, creeds, and orientations.

Important to note is that the sources available said that Pence had no problem with the speech.

If we're going by the mass cultural discussion of the show then no, they dont.

The real issue is the placating of economic privilege through the more common ones of race and gender. look at the Mile Pence thing. Bunch of rich white people criticizing another rich white person for ignorant beliefs. Yeah, Mike Pence deserved the shit he got, but it shouldn't be coming from other rich white people who wanna morally jerk themselves off to how progressive they are while going back to their multimillion dollar 1k sq ft New York apartments.

Let me alter my point a little bit. Hamilton isn't bad. How people talk about Hamilton and hold it in regard to mainstream society is bad.

This is horrifying but I can't wait for the chapo trap house episode where they riff on it

>I don't get why people become so easily to trigger here with things like this, I just see it as Samurai Champloo in early america.
That's not how it was pitched in the press, though. All anyone would talk about back when it started making the rounds was "Hamilton is the most important show out, it's powerful, it'll make you proud of America again." Comparing that to what it actually is - a fancy nerdcore musical - is guaranteed to generate salt. There's lots of other baggage, but that's the main thing.

It also implies Hamilton would've supported mass immigration, which is insane.

I you could write a musical about your favorite historical figure in your favorite musical style what would it be?

Mine would be
>Reggae
>General Paton
And it would definately work