I don't get this joke, what are poages?

I don't get this joke, what are poages?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hruzEqfqHrk
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I smell a troll.

Pogs. It was a game from the 90's involving caps that you collected to play. Your age is showing OP

He's back.

More likely just someone who is underage.

alf circles?

Pogs, beanie babies. Pet rocks etc. Talking Elmo. Tomigachis just fad stuff. People used to think beanie babies would have lasting value as collectables.

nobody would hear 'pogs' and type 'poages'
it's like pacifica's ridiculous inability to pronounce 'sharing' or whatever

one of these things is not like the others..

phat ass white girl

never understood what separated a beanie baby from stuffed animals

what makes the difference?

small PVC beads. it means that while they are less cuddly than a cotton/poly-fluff-filled stuffed animal, they are a lot more posable. you can sit them up on their fat little asses, bend them over, and they stay that way. you can move their little limbs around. Some of them had some clever use of elastic, too, like you could wrap the snake around your arm.
they also had a pretty good unified aesthetic style. i used to draw beanie baby styled animals for things they hadn't made yet, and then they made some of them (like the scorpion)

Sorry I was just thinking of random fad shit that I remembered. Obviously talking Elmo was kiddy stuff

Nobody talks about slammers. The Slammers were the coolest thing about pogs.

Beanie Babies are cute. I still have a few around here somewhere. A dragon, a lion, and a tiger. Honestly, the later ones were so detailed/poseable they almost doubled as action figures.

I still have this awesome Dragon one had gems and stuff in it.

got any pics? that sounds super cute, i used to love beanie babies.

I had this sick plain-looking one with a metallic finish. It must have been filled with lead or something. It could flip a stack of pawgs like a flapjack.

yeah. must-get christmas presents for dumbass kids is a totally separate thing from collector fads. but they are both interesting and ephemeral
i hated how pogs just disappeared from my life when I had just finally gotten some real ones that I didn't make myself by cutting them out of the cardboard backing of a pad of paper. i mean, my first coupla pogs got stolen, but I still have the remaining approximately 16 inches of pogs I acquired since then, including the official pogmaker pogs that I absolutely wasted because as a kid I had no patience and had an obsessive need to use up the entirety of things.. like pads of paper.
plus they started making them in that uber soft fleece shit. i love it so much. sadly, my beanie babies are still in my dad's third wife's garage.

pogs were for faggot normies, the true patrician's choice was clearly Crazy Bones

I used to love playing for keeps. Some kids were smart In how they used their slammers

nah I'm not sure whether I still have those drawings (probably not, those would have been from 96, my oldest saved drawings that I can easily find are from 97) but I definitely haven't scanned them.
it's sad to me how many lame slammers some people had. they kept giving out shitty plastic promotional ones. my pride and joy was a gold-plated buzzsaw slammer with the imprint of two fingertips on the other side

I had that purple pogmaker too

One's filled with stuffing, the other is filled with thousands upon thousands of spider eggs...

I remember being like.. what the fuck are these, why would anyone want them? then I bought a pack just for fun, and.. gotta admit, they appealed. not sure how, but a strange appeal. I never bought any more, but I kinda get it

the games you were meant to play with them, though? Fucking impossible. just like that 'pig dice' game.
I was too chicken to play for keeps. kids would tell stories on the playgrounds about how they flipped entire stacks at once and acquired them. they had fuckin 3-foot-long holders made of transparent neon plastic in several colors

I thought he meant pawgs. like he had a magazine collection of pawgs.

I had a pretty good career, but I still remember the foil skull pog I lost. It still haunts my dreams.

That was half the fun and I remember those huge tube stacks. I loved getting new pogs. We had a huge group of us from school so we were all trading back and forth. I had a three inch thick metal slammer so I won a lot. I was nice though if they had specific ones that they liked a lot I'd give them back

Did anyone have a yoyo fad at their school?

PIN TIN SLAMMMERS

Right. Metal slammers were so unfair but they were great

Briefly. But everyone sucked at it except that one weirdo, so it didn't last very long.

Yep that lasted for a good half a year

i remember those fucking door-unlocking-combat-shotgun-slug slammers.. i never saw the point of them. you're meant to hit the stack with a disk. you can't very well grab a 3-inch cylinder between your finger and thumb and slam it down. its only real purpose at that point is being a prop as an oil barrel for action figures

no, i assumed the one on the simpsons was something from a writer's childhood back in the day
i remember yo-yo balls though and I wanted one so badly. a spring-loaded yo-yo that automatically winds itself back up, what's not to like?
unlike other weird toys like fucking balzak. what even was that
i always wanted those giant stylized snake plush things though

Actually you'd be surprised I saw people using the thinner metal spammers better than the thick ones. For some reason it would flip more of stacks depending how you hit. I found some used different kinds of metal is so they were heavier

I had a wooden souvenir one I bought at a Chargers game. It was about a cm thick and flipped everything I ever used it on. The thing was incredible.

Fuck you. But also, I want to fuck you.

that's what i'm saying, the thin would be better than the thick.

The joke with pogs is always that they're irrelevant but I wonder when they'll be so outdated that people won't even make that joke anymore.

Yep, when I was back in elementary school.

That was a quick fad.

i imagine they'll outlast direct memory as a remembered joke, like pet rocks.

yup, they were expensive yoyos though

relatively

More important question:
Why does that Morty know about pogs, let alone collects them?

If I remember correctly it led right into Pokemon.

>underage

I dunno, man. I'm 23 and have only a very, very brief recollection of the tail end of the pog fad from when I was four or five because my older brother had them. It's more than likely somebody who's 18 or 19 doesn't know what the fuck they are.

that's another dimension morty. pogs lasted there

Rick showed it to him, as a joke.

holy shit i got a fuckton of these in a knit bag some lady made me at church back in the day in my closet.

tfw I have rare chase ones that sell for decent today

that is the great thing about pogs, they transcended all life paths. i had several fun and genuinely hip christian pogs, i had a slammer with 'know fear' on it.. on the other hand i also had hilarious pig-themed pogs handed out by the pork council

Same shit as comics.

Collector value comes from demand and scarcity. Most of these things simply aren't scarce, and a lot of dumb speculators don't seem to realize that when they buy up a bunch of a product that's STILL being produced, all that's going to happen is the company will pump out more to meet the perceived demand.

Once people realize this stuff isn't really hard to obtain and there aren't really that many people who want it that desperately (mainly just other stupid speculators buying and selling from each other), the bottom drops out.

And ironically enough they end up being worth less than the average shitty toy from the same period because no one bothered to save them in any good condition, but people still want to buy them to replace the childhood toys their parents threw away when they went to college.

Slammers were a cheat pog in my days of middle school. You had to do it with regular pogs or it doesn't count. Even in the realm of regular pogs, there were special ones. Still paper like, but very crisp. There were 2 sets of prized pogs, the uckoos (or however it was spelled) and these golf based ones that said eagle, birdy, etc. I can still remember the smell.

it's weird how i know the types of things you mean, but all of those were completely different in my circles. it was all about yinyang, poison, and buzzsaw.
i cant imagine playing pogs without a slammer though

You had to use all your strength to even get them to budge. It was an art in middleschool and pogs were just about the biggest thing for the school.

I miss the 90's

Same. Thought it was hilarious.

whats?
me too man.

>throw away childhood toys on purpose
why would anyone do this

I wanted to seem more grown up going into middle school so I put all of mine into storage between sixth and! Seventh grade

i will never understand the need to seem something knowing you arent that thing inside

Well I was hanging out with older girls because they were babysitting younger step siblings so I was caught unaware that I even wanted it. They also shouldn't let highschool girls around younger males.

shit okay you didnt mention there were older girls around. even kevin smith abandoned comics for a while for that reason.

I was a big kid too so I got mistaken for older than I was. I hit six foot by twelve so. Which also made it funny during rough housing. I used to dunk their babysitter and her friends would die laughing. She hated losing though so I'd let her win sometimes. Especially when her huge breasts popped out when said horsing around happened. Trust me. Any guy you know would give up childish things.

ditto, alas when i was 12 women were not remotely into tall and mature. they wanted little homos.

still, the secret is confidence. you make it clear that toys are awesome, they will buy it. as long as you're not sperging out. let that be a lesson to all of you. when i was in college my impressive zoids collection impressed lots of girls
dumb slutty ones i wasn't interested in, but still

Pawgs. Phat Ass White Girls.

Despite my impressive size I wasn't confident at all about anything besides sports. I felt by keeping by. them around it would undermine me somehow. And since I knew that I didn't know much about anything it would make it easier to spot. In end I ended up staying more true to myself though. Once I realized girls with absent parents have shit taste in guys. I dumped her hs boyfriend into garbage cans and embarrassed the shit out of him. Glad he got embarrassed because he probably beat piss out of me being 4 years older

I'm close to Mexico so we had something different, they were called Tazos
Shit like Pokémon, Yugioh, and I think El Tigre were the ones I'm familiar with

Fuck I had so many of those...

We had those here in Australia too. I remember that the Dragon Ball Z ones had power levels written on them next to the character. They came in chip bags and promotional extras.

god damn young people and their stupid vernacular

i mean, were they just pogs under another name? or were they a different size?
also, pokemon TAS? was it called that? the animated series?

See that's what's great about pogs
it's hard to collect LOTS of something unless it's simple and printed on paper so it's cheap
like i always kind of wanted to buy the pokemon figurines but i knew that no matter what they cost, it would be too much to get over 100 of em

Oh shit we had those EXACT SAME Pokemon tazos in Egypt! You get them from Lays chips! They had to make a special rule in our school to stop us from gambling with them all the time! Those are literally the exact same ones as in that picture!

Fuuuuuuck man.

I ate chips everyday for months to get these. The 3D ones were playground gold.

This thread is the first time I've heard pigs. They were called tazos where I lived. And pawg is a pretty useful search term desu.

I wish I had this many, at least now. This is all I have now, which is just laughably disappointing.
I remember having to start small and compete with other kids to increase your collection, back when play for keeps was the rule.

i will volador when i'm good and ready
does tazo mean something or sound like it does?
i'm looking this shit up now, i find it highly amusing that they had 100 looney tunes ones, 124 tiny toons (each character must have gotten a fucking dozen different ones), and only 51 pokemon. christ guys if you had done more, sales of chips would have gone through the fucking roof. every kid would want to get the full collection.
really i feel shitty that every bag of chips i ever ate didnt come with diddly squat. then again in our nanny state they wouldnt let them come in anything but vegetables, so..

Didn't Tickle me Emo came first?

Elmo was after pogs, but was in between the time when the Beanie Baby craze gradually grew.

>Be in school and challenge some kid to pog bet
>"Before we start, let's put some rules straight...am I allowed to used the Catapult?"
>kid nods unkowingly
>take out an old pog bent in the shape of an L, put it under the stack
>flick it and all the pogs flip
>"There's it. The Catapult.
>take my new stash of pogs and leave the kid confused and annoyed

I deserve a special place in Hell for that.

At least Pogs were cooler then fucking Silly Bandz.

All I remember is jingle all the way captured that toy craze perfectly

They were an Irish Folk/Punk rock band in the 80s.

oh my god this post just fucking triggered me

I had a high school crush who reciprocated my feelings, but she moved away before it went anywhere. she gave me her favorite silly band on my birthday, an orange turtle. I saved it for years but it's gone now

FUCK, I didn't need these feelings tonight

Same here in Spainistan. They came in chips bags, and back in my time we had Looney Toons, Dragon Ball, Pokemon and Digimon. We would put them face down forming a tower, and in turns we would try to brind them down by hitting the one on the top with another tazo. You won the ones that came face up from the tower.

Damn,so many memories. I remember the day we all went crazy at school because a guy got Mewtwo from a bag

Jej

What were the rules here? Flip the ones you keep or flip them all before your opponent does? It just seems a bit unlikely to have the whole stack flip without a few scattering everywhere remaining unflipped.

Remember "Legend of the Hawaiian Slammers"? That animated one shot that tried to make pogs popular.
youtube.com/watch?v=hruzEqfqHrk

yeah im 19 and have never seen a pog in my life, only know what they are from that joke about alf pogs in the simpsons

You had to be a kid of the 90s to understand the pog craze.

I think it only lasted one summer. The "game" was pretty dull.
You make a small tower with small collectible disks.
You throw a plastic disc at them.
You take the ones that are upside down.
You stack the rest.
Your opponent does the same.
Who gets the most pogs wins.

in pog form?!!!!

Pretty much. Pogs were like heelies, you'd see maybe one person out of a hundred that actually gave a shit about them and yet somehow they've come to define the 90s.

I remember kids collecting theses disks like stickers.(Collecting stickers was also a thing) But almost nobody played it.

Everyone I knew played Magic the Gathering instead.

Then TCGs died down for a bit and now it's all Yu Gi Oh and Pokemon

perfect example of why the minimum age to be on Sup Forums should increase by a year every year

That's a neat gif

Yes, but the Pokemon fad was the biggest fad of all.