How's Your Webcomic? #359

God damn page 10. I was within seconds of bumping in time
Anyway, you webcomic a webcomic, right? Web that comic. Tell us about it.
Previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
paletton.com/
freakanimes.com/sugarandmemories/?comic=chapter-2-page-7
jamesyroy.subcultura.es/
youtube.com/watch?v=CFV0vh-ocfc&t=276s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist/writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

Web comics are dead I guess

Guess i came on at a bad time. anyway, i know i really suck at this design thing and i'd like some critique about the design and idea.

The Idea: Have a giant Manta Ray like creature be the Mother ship for the entire ART organization. People enter through the top layer of the skin and enter a pocket world where in this case ART home base.

The Design: is just a cartoon-ish Manta ray the i tried to at least incorporate some realistic factors into it.

How's it look anything in particular that rubs you the wrong way or something you might like to see of the design or concept?

you came on at the perfect time, dude.
I love these fucking rays. There's a reason it's cliche, they're a lot of fun
plus, the lack of the eyestalks and tail makes it less cliche and more spaceshippy
also those are super cute eyes
so they just kinda melt into the skin, huh? that is some advanced-ass tech. I hope you keep the rest consistent, so we're looking at some Washuu-ass Tenchi shit inside that thing.

My only thought is if you wanted to make it look more alien and more airplaney, you could break up the rear line of the fins with flaps kinda like ailerons, as if continuing the rear fins rays already have.

hm

stop learning

love the detail and creativity. I need a inspired soul like you to bounce ideas off of, you got a discord?

Doin' some traditional watercolor practice in between comics. I already messed up a ton on the lineart, and tried to erase it, only managing to fade it. Hopefully when I color it in the watercolors will be able to hide some of my fuck ups. >.<

If anyone knows a way to remove/hide technical pen inks in a watercolor friendly way that would be super helpful.

Also, I'm wondering about you guys. What art/writing do you do outside of your comic?

I sometimes do projects for myself, pretending i'm making up a videogame just by drawing characters and imagining the rest.. but lately i mostly do fanart. gets the attention.
that's a good question, i doubt there's a way to just put down some literal liquid paper that watercolor would go right over without making it obvious
also, not gonna lie, that pose, that narrow liquor glass, I thought she was grabbing something else

very nice , you're really good for 18 and in general lol keep it up!

Doing some lighting practice. It's something I've wanted to get better at for a long time, and if Petunia's castle is gonna be some sort of concert/dance club palace, it's gonna have a lot of it, so!

loving all these kinds of lighting. Though dance-club lighting is different from all of these, so keep doing more kinds! I also suggest spotlight and floorlight practice.

Lookin good. Now try some schemes with multiple colors.

Oi, now THAT I'll really need to practice, hahaha. Like, how do you mean?

Like more than just red lighting. Try complementary like red and turquoise; or analogous like red and orange and yellow; or triadic like red and blue and green; or tetradic like red, blue, green and yellow (usually overkill).

paletton.com/

Ahhh right, yeah. I think one thing that trips me up is hat color should be reflecting off the characters when there's multiple colors. When I made the first comic page awhile back, that really confused me, and now I hate it, haha.

I've got a problem anons

i'm working on a paranormal story with heavy folklore inspiration, stuff like The Baba Yaga, Wendigo's, and a lot of Yokai, the problem is that i'm worried that cramming all of these different tales from all of these different parts of the world could prove hazardous, like how in the world could a Native American cryptid have any connection to a russian one?
It also doesn't help that my story takes place in a fictional setting (so no America, Germany, Europe, etc)

I guess i'm just a bit worried of mistreating these myths

Thank you, but this isn't technology she's actually pretty much a living animal that has properties that can rival futuristic tech.
This is the initial idea and I may add more considering I'm not making her into a machine like the old design was.
Once I start the story I'll explain in more subtle detail how this ray works and the kinda weird surprise on who owns it.
I hope I never do.
I'm on the webcomic server, but I rarely go on because I just don't. Occasionally I'll glance but I'm just here reading and draw just to literally "git gud" plus im not much of a social poster. Everyone here can attest to that.
Would you like my discord directly or do you wanna know where I go to on webcomic land. (And the places I stay away from).

>tfw it takes a full 24 hours after an update to get one view

is the /coc/ threads dead?

This is /hyw/ #358
>> 91223621

That numbering is actually off, due to a few threads a week or so back dying early and being restarted and April Fool's /cock/ shenanigans, but I'm inclined to say those don't count. If a thread reaches 250 posts or so, then I'd say that makes one complete thread.

hey guys, would you read a webcomic about half naked pregnant chicks?

serious question!

made some official weapon sketches for FATES CHAOS

original stuff, please do not steal!

also heres a cartoon version of the main character of FATES CHAOS

lol

looks good, saved

I keep posting to this thread even though its a "Web" comic thread but I'm trying to write and eventually draw a more traditional style of Comic. I've written so much but I'm terribly unorganized and I've yet to find anything other than Evernote that even remotely would help me.

I feel like I get the most satisfaction out of talking about it but not so much from actually working on it.

I have to make a website.
I am clueless.

>I feel like I get the most satisfaction out of talking about it but not so much from actually working on it.
That's how it works. Do NOT talk about your comic unless necessary; it literally gives you the same satisfaction as actually making it. Art is not always going to be fun, but powering through the boring parts is the only way you're going to be truly satisfied that you created something.

>The animation I've been working on for 8 weeks is finally up.

Welp, I'm probably not gonna get any work done today, I'll be to jittery from how giddy I am, and I'll be too busy reading youtube comments.

But there are parts I need help with in writing. I'm so close to finishing up some details but I need things like more or less a dictionary of fantasy terms (Google cant wrap it's head around the fact that i'm not talking about Fantasy Football) and just some general writing tips.

Oh, I would count asking for help as something necessary. I mean don't talk about it just to talk about it.

What drawing programs do you guys use?
I use paint sai, which doesn't have a text function, which kinda sucks but it's ok.
What other programs are there that are free?

Clip Studio Paint primarily (previously aka Manga Studio). There's a free demo, but keep an eye out for sales when you can get it relatively cheap (I'll usually post about it here when there is one).

For Free software, try MediBang Paint Pro and/or FireAlpaca. MediBang has built in templates for generating comic page panel grids. While it has a text tool, it's fairly basic, though you can at least place text and manually draw balloons. Both MBP and FA are fairly stripped down, without all that many whistles and bells, but they're small, fast and free.

A neat trick for Paint Tool SAI and text is writing it in MSPaint first, copying and pasting it into SAI, and turning the luminance to transparency. It's under the "layer" tab. Works like a charm.

I saw that exact tip on some deviantart guide.
The problem is that free Sai doesnt allow for copying and pasting images at all. I can practically not insert anything into the project, nor safe it (afaik).
thanks I will check those programs out

I'd say make up your own if you can especially if the setting is fictional. Your audience would probably be more interested if it's original because if you use folklore from real life (granted, it's cool and spooky) nothing's stopping your audience from ditching your comic and going and reading about it online.

The fantasy dictionary is what I need the most right now

Latest page - an adventure's about to happen!

New page is up! The plot is one page away from being introduced, can't wait.
freakanimes.com/sugarandmemories/?comic=chapter-2-page-7

Oh hey, this is cute.

jamesyroy.subcultura.es/
It's about a boy and hius friend an antropomorphic rabbit (there's no furry shit tho) that combat monsters and demons.

It's in Spanish, I've been thinking about translating it from the start of the plot onwards.

It's a good idea to get the general progression of the plot of a comic down before you begin, but how far should you go?
Should I be writing down dialogue and shit too? How much is too much and how little is too little?

>how in the world could a Native American cryptid have any connection to a russian one?
beeecause there's native americans in russia? arctic is arctic, basically. the map makes those parts look really far apart, but if you look at a globe they're all neighbors. there's woo-woo guys all over scandinavia too.
>fictional setting
you kinda just made it even easier there.

I was deliberately counting the april fool's one since it lasted a while. I only don't count a thread if it doesn't make it to 100 posts or 5-8 hours. by all means whoever makes the next thread can contradict me

I'm not sure about this but I definitely know you can't do it for a future comic that hasn't started yet. You talk about it too much, not only will you need to do it faster than you should, skipping the planning, but you'll also get burned out and feel like you already did it all

it's not too bad, just use a template or something
what are those blobs floating in space? because they have shading even all around their rims, if that is shading.. or are they holes in some kind of crazy space? I would be inclined to think that except for the places where they touch or overlap.

Uhhh I'm a dictionary of fantasy terms. you can just nudge me whenever you want. i have no life. I sit around discussing shit like this with myself so that I remember it. you want skype maybe?
I literally have a massive word document of every kind of mythological creature that I don't think is lame, and what my specific description of it is. but I'm also aware of what the broader definition usually is

I suggest you get the outline down for everything,
get ideas down for some of it, where you have them. ideas for twists or specific things you'd like to see, funny sequences..
then get the specific dialogue down whenever it comes to you, but feel free to revise it when the time actually comes to do the pages

what's your discord ID so we can occasionally chat? some friendly rivalry will be good

>everyone wants to be mousymouse's friend.
that's what you get for having interesting art, clever contributions to the thread, neat questions, and a cute little avatar on your drawings that comments on them
will sempai notice me?

They're fragments of a recently destroyed planet.

ah, well then they should probably have shading only on the lit side, with varying thicknesses and shapes to illustrate the threedimensional shape of the pieces.

that's all secondary to his most compelling trait, his capacity for self improvement. he's got drive and mastery of his own ego, at such a young age too.

er, not shading, highlighting.

You could always use Tumblr, the webcomics theme they got works pretty well, though it's very basic and not too customizable.
tumblr.com/theme/39018

If you want something a bit fancier Wordpress with Comicpress/Comic Easel works great, though it's a bit more complicated.

Sure, if anyone want to chat just add or message me with this:

> PipSQK#9249

at least i think that's how my names set up on discord...
You probably won't get me actually using a mic also.

Yeah, I have a timblr set up, but I need something more substantial. I think I am going to do the comic press thing. I actually have fans now, so I want to get it right.
You are correct. I know I thought about that while inking too, I am not certain how I missed it in the end. Probably thinking too hard about her ass and all those goddam stars. It is a quick fix, at least. Thanks.

>tfw feelsposter is gone and I have to pick up his mantle but i don't have any wojacks only pepes

>once again my lack of the latest fad technology means can't talk to someone

Well i mean i type like 55 - 60 wpm so typing fast is no problem.

wha? no i meant discord instead of skype
i love typing. though i love voice chatting too

Sorry i really need to work on putting more context into my comments. What i meant is even if someone spoke to me in voice chat i could respond quite quickly.

The hierarchy of mages would be a good start

Post a link, I need a good laugh

In my experience, wizards love making puffed-up names for themselves, but they aren't regulated very hard, except that adding the prefix arch- puts you pretty high up. if you use that and you haven't earned it, you're getting laughed at.
What really matters is what kind of order you belong to. magical dudes, just like superheroes, always seem to stratify naturally.. with the potion ladies running apothecaries for dirt farmers at the bottom, and the all-powerful semi-cosmic fuckers battling wayward gods at the top.
but if you're looking for some names to toss around:
you've got your enchanters, your spellbinders, your various things ending in -mancer. basically magic engineers taking the raw mana and making it into something specific and useful.
you've got augurers, diviners, seers.. anybody who's checking out the world with more than their eyes..
Then on the more practical level there's your shamans, witchdoctors, alchemists, dudes messing with nature..
then if they're dealing with EXTRAnature you're looking at conjurers, occultists, media (that is, mediums).. sometimes you get 'thaumaturge' in there, that always sounds good.
if you get anything with gnost in it, or the basic meaning of magus, you're probably looking at a big nerd who spends all of his time in thick books with crazy covers, yknow? hopefully that gives you something to start with
alas, he didn't write it, so it's not very funny.

I'd thought you'd never ask.

youtube.com/watch?v=CFV0vh-ocfc&t=276s

I thought it's pretty funny, I certainly had fun doing it.

H-He's gone?
Well, I guess his troubles are over now.

Who /2shy2stream/ here?

As much as I don't want to talk about it too much, My magic system has an Arch Mage at the top, an appointed position by what can only be described as a Magic Council. The Arch Mage is more or less an authority on magic. The two other appointed mages are the Master of the Archive and the Dean of the Invisible College. But only 75 - 80% of magic users view the Council as an authority, the largest block of mages next to that is the Onmyodo, who are in charge of advancing and passing down the Eastern (Asian) Royal magic. Outside of that are smaller covens and such

>appointed by a council, but not an uncontested authority
that sounds exactly how it should be. You've got this shit, man. you know what you're doing
and people who belong to those should also probably have their own guilds for smaller groups of guys doing similar shit, pooling some resources, establishing curse insurance, etc.

you've found your niche - shitty looking webtoons. this is probably the best thing you've made in your life. never draw comics again

My issue is that a lot of what I've come up withso far doesnt matter in the first arc which unless I do an Ok job I wont continue past

yep that'll happen. put that aside, it's sorted. now focus on the stuff that is involved in the first arc.

>tfw collecting tons of reference images to start on background design

Have a picture I found. It's pretty.

that is one unnaturally still pool. i freaking love this location though
I'm about to do something in my comic totally inspired by this picture I saw of these nepalese honey gatherers

>tfw hard drive full of references and tutorials that I never use

Ok, heres a question that pretains more to the first arc. I have a fictional Intelegence / Interpol esque organization called AEON, and it needs 4 divisions, Technology and Human Intelegence being two of them, i'm not sure how I want the other two to go with minimal overlap

OH JESUS

I though it was like, actually more under that platform, not water.

You're going to have characters from all four divisions? because if not, you don't need all four named.
I'm a lot worse at spy shit but let me think.. you'd have.. yeah, tech, intel (including like, paperwork), then probably 'operations' (gruntwork) and then perhaps the actual field agents are the fourth division. 'activities' or whatever.

Been workshopping writing this one for 2+ years and haven't really made much movement on it because of medical school and the current political climate. Not sure where to go from here.

Part 1 (Biodome/College Years; working title: “Domed”)
This will establish a story about basic creatures living in a biodome and the higher class race of those creatures in that society are trying to kill them.
The biodome will the "b" story of that part. The "a" story will basically be retellings of my time in college with my roommates (pic related).
(Twist ending/story connector)
At the end of that chapter, it all comes to a hard-end when a bullet pierces the biodome.

Part 2 (Osama Bin Laden: Ruler of Atlantis)
Premise: After Osama Bin Laden’s burial at sea he is revived and becomes ruler of Atlantis. This story has NO connection to the previous story. The readers are NOT supposed to know there is a connection until the VERY end as described below.
The "a" story beings with Bin Laden getting acclimated to Atlantis (whose people have dedicated their entire lives towards welcoming home Osama so they can achieve global domination). The "b" story will be about an Atlantean named "Marada" (the Arabic word for rebel, also where the word Marauder is derived from) who doesn't want to follow his culture's customs and wants to do his own thing. (Plot point) All of the Atlanteans wear turbans. Part 2 of the story ends with Osama firing a gun at Marada's turban, with the bullet piercing it and revealing the biodome from Part 1.

Part 3 (It all comes together; working title: “Anarchy”)
Marada and the creatures inside his biodome-turban from part 1 (the main characters from the “a” story) working together to stop Osama's evil plans (ie: Horton Hears a Who). His plan is a little more high-brow, as it incorporates the upper class creatures from part 1 in everyone’s turban: it involves the destruction of creativity.

What think?

Operations is a good one, I'd like for them to not all be named but have a general sense of what's going on. Only 3 are going to be shown in the first arc, they don't need to be named but i need ot know what they do so that I'll have a better sense of what the characters will need to do as it relates to their job

I know what you mean. I'm doing pretty good time-wise on this project, however.

I know that the shadows are just playing tricks on this image, but wouldn't it be fantastic if that stump is actually an entrance to somewhere? You don't know where it leads, but are you a bad enough dude to jump in and find out?

Sometimes I'm amazed at what people come up with on here, even though that doesn't sound like anything I'd care to read or look at to be quite honest senpai. And the current political climate isn't why, it's just...tasteless. How have you worked on that for 2 years? how have you thought about that and actually got giddy over it? You know when we're all making up our comics in our heads it excites us, we love our characters and worlds we create and stories ,how the fuck so you actually think of the shit your thinking about and get excited about it? How?

oh that's even cooler.
it's 'toons' dude. toons have always been like that. the same people who like drawing pillars for heads like making the story grotesque and weird too. bakshi, kricfalusi, all those guys. you've gotta respect it because the art takes a lot of work, but it's definitely not to most of our tastes

So, a friend and myself were sitting in a medical lecture being given by our fellow students. All of the sudden, an attending physician interjects and derails the entire presentation for like, 45 minutes. He also had a turban and was pretty incoherent. While he was rambling a drew a picture of what was going inside of the turban: a little man hitting buttons and levers, making him overclocked basically.

My friends all loved the idea and I just sorta developed it, and I talked to some friends who work for DC, Dynamite and Archie and have taught at the Kubert School in NJ--they loved it and told me to do a kickstarter for it. So I sorta ran with it.

That's how, dick.

You make a good point, I was quick to judge, it's just that the shits just so.. unnecessary and ugly lol osama bring the king of Atlantis , fuck, that sounds like a bad justice league event.

Calm down bones we're sorry for offending your Muslim heritage

No wonder like I said a bad D.C. Event , knock your self out, man. Just calling out how tasteless that shit is. Tying to make a political statement as old as the fucking crusades.

oh fugg I love sci fi westerns, this looks great!

That is some Broken Age level of cleverness in tying stories together.

Is it okay to upload a webcomic on two or more different websites?

Should i color my webcomic in black and white or in color?

show pic

I like how your character designs stand out

Sure, plenty of people do it. Most people have one main official site, then mirror their comic to Smackjeeves, Tapastic, Webtoons, etc.

I find the designs kinda annoying, they've got that weird generic graffiti/political caricature feel and the story retarded, but maybe there's an audience for this.

i realize this may not be the best place to ask this, but there's nothing wrong with making a "SJW" comic right? Just with some basic gender fluidity/women empowerment messages in the background of the actual story

I personally think thats fine, as long as you aren't pushing it a little hard

lots of people do. the thing that sucks is that then I feel the need to bookmark both in case only one goes down (it has happened)
this. it depends on your art.