Tell me why this dude dying was 100x more impactful and emotional than fucking SUPERMAN

Tell me why this dude dying was 100x more impactful and emotional than fucking SUPERMAN

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d5Gz7MeSbF4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because people like him

The prison scene spent more time properly characterizing him than all three of the DC movies combined.

He's a likable character, and superman never was. Oh hey some all powerful alien with no personality. I totally care about him.

because Hollywood rarely focuses on the adopted dad. usually its just
>my adopted dad is evil!
>I gotta find my real dad!
this happened but the twist was kino

Likeable character. He was also a well established character that got really fleshed out in the second movie.

>he may be your father but he ain’t your daddy

Did Marvel feel clever stealing The Replacements lyrics?

OH LOOK ANOTHER SOY BOY THREAD

It wasn't. They shoehorned in the "I might not be your father StarLord, but I'm your daddy" shit in the 2nd half of GotG2. This was non-existent in GotG1. I literally didn't even care. Groot dying in the first one was better.

because it was obvious that superman was never going to die

Cause was likeable and had redemption. Superman is just an emo faggot

He's Star-Lord's Uncle Ben/Pa Kent.

He was Star-Lord's hillbilly abusive adopted father/uncle who raised him macho man style. At the end he realizes that the old smurf raised him like a real White Man.

He's a likable well written character most importantly. Also the fact that he's never coming back while we all knew Superman wasn't really dead before the end of the movie.

Because Michael Rooker is always great and losing a character he plays is shit.

zero times 100 is still zero

He's more like an asshole uncle or godfather from anime or Braveheart. He's like Jiraiya is in Naruto or like William Wallace's warrior uncle in Braveheart.

All of the above plus "Father and Son".

>From the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen

It wasn't. Not even close. And most people don't actually like Superman no matter how much they pretend to

Cause he was a daddy. Superman wasn't.

That doesn't sound right. I feel like there's more (or at least an equal amount) of the opposite

Right after you tell me why you watch superhero shit seriously faggot

>"Father and Son"

Literally this. I didn't care that he died, but his funeral was kino

Snyder wrote Superman as a god. Yondo was written as a real person.

It wasn't, but it fulfilled the traditional "COME CLOSER" meme so normies are more comfortable with it.

the funeral scene when the music kicks in, almost immediately you get sad in that moment.

the bvs death was too rushed. one minute they're fighting each other. then sup[er bad ass batman time saving martha. then doomsday kind of happens and you're kind of paying attention to that, but also trying to think of everything that just happened. non stop. WW superman dies in space at the hands of u.s.a. but before you can feel bad or in awe or anything, bam back into fighting nonstop and then superman dies again. we get a moment to breathe and try to catch up but we're going from scene to scene resolving everything and the movie ends. it was waaay too much.

movies can make 5 minutes feel like 30 and 30 mins feel like 5. but the control of that is a super useful tool. snyder's movies all move super quick but in sad moments if you don't slow down it tends to cut the importance of it. Rorschach's death was impactful in watchmen idk how he fucked up superman's.

Hes fucking great I was sad to see his death.

>do you feel clever for knowing a band's lyrics?

>Rorschach's death was impactful in watchmen idk how he fucked up superman's.

I don't think Snyder cares about Superman. He really shouldn't have done the DCEU - SNyder was better when he's adapting one-off graphic novels and Elseworlds. Like, I can see Snyder doing The Dark Knight Rises specifically, or even Kingdom Come.

>He's more like an asshole uncle or godfather from anime
C'mon user, don't do that

Snyder seems not to see supes as a human. I'm just annoyed he was look at him so godly and shit instead just your average farmboy raised in kansas that happens to have super powers.

it actually was in the first one
>the whole point of him going easy on starlord constantly
>him protecting from the other ravagers
>treasure troll doll switch and not getting mad, but keeping it as a keep sake

they just expanded on that. but it was pretty obvious he raised him as his own from the little conversations they had. they also made it obvious their relationship was shitty because they're space white trash/ rednecks/ criminals

youtube.com/watch?v=d5Gz7MeSbF4

He may have flown but he ain't Mary Poppins

do you feel in charge?

for you

It wasn't

I'll be honest with you. I watched BvS in the theater and I enjoyed it up until that whatever monster got involved (didn't even bother to remember its name or care). I must have completely zoned out because I never even caught the fact that Superman died. My brother must have zoned out, too, because we both talked about the movie afterwards and at no point did either of us bring up Supe's death.

This isn't like noticing how Twin Pines Mall becomes Lone Pine Mall on your 100th watching of Back to the Future. We missed an "important" plot development just because we weren't invested in the movie anymore. We didn't even get to where we hated it. We just switched off and didn't even notice it.

I guess we just figured that Superman was going into hiding or something.

What the fuck is this?

How kino is made

When you see a character die you're supposed to feel like something was lost. Yondu was a crazy asshole, yet he cared so much about Peter its saddening to see him go so soon.
Superman is just boring. He's barely even human. The only emotional thing about his death was the sappy shit with Lois that felt incredibly out of place, but no one likes lois, so it was shit.

teh nu murry popins

Redemption of a evil/asshole father figure just before they sacrifice themselves for their son always plays on the heart strings.

He's also likable, he's a massive asshole who drinks, steals and fucks hookers and he loves it.

/he had character development.

He's Quill's Piccolo.

Are you talking about Superman dying is BvS? Because that had way more of an effect on me that Blue Man. I literally cried. Granted my brother had died recently so anything dealing with death made me really emotional (still does, to be honest) but I really didn't find Yondu dying all that sad.

they never name the monster, either. People just know hes doomsday because of comic history. Like how people know henry cavill is playing superman because of comic history, as otherwise there'd be nothing to indicate it.

As the main problem with the DCEU is how it utterly relies upon comic history to really have a handle on whats supposed to be happening, but then it wipes it's ass with comic history.

You must understand that he sees Superman as how one sees Dr. Manhattan. The allusion becomes more clear when one interpretation of Dr. Manhattan was as the "Superman" of the Watchmen universe, the way Rorschach was Batman.

Snyder gets Dr. Manhattan. There is a reason why Ebert loved the Watchmen movie for Dr. Manhattan, and even Snyder said that Dr. Manhattan was what he enjoyed the most of the comic. He does not get Superman because he really is better off doing Dr. Manhattan

I think it's pretty much impossible to kill off Superman and make it have any real emotional impact at this point. How many times has he been "dead" in canon storylines by now?

A real human bean...

...and a real hero

>Snyder gets Dr. Manhattan
I can prove to you he doesn't. At all.

>nothing ends, adrian, nothing ever ends

This only version of watchmen that has this line is the stupidly long cut, and fucking laurie says it.

Because he ain't coming back.

Superman dying before Justice League is more like one of your favourite sportsman in the team being sent to the bench so they can have a drink and come back in the second half fresh.

There's also the part where Superman was very intently portrayed as someone apart from humanity. Not neccessarily unrelatable, but not a normal guy, so him dying is more like I don't know, some king dying in a story staring peasants or knights. It's sad but isn't personal, because he's not the emotional focus.

Thats because Manhattan doesn't have to say it Veidt. And Laurie saying it to Dan still ahs meaning. Even if vigilantism is outlawed, the two will still do it. Even if Veidt brought about world peace, there will still be a need for vigilantes. The movie did the comic one better by having Dan beat up Veidt and then leave him alone. The final shot of Veidt alone, beaten, Karnak can be juxtaposed with hsi first appearance in the movie - not as his actual self, but as an action figure. Veidt, in trying so hard not to be a comic book character, becomes the very thing he set out not to be. I got more out of that then from the comic where Manhattan spoke to Veidt before leaving.

Snyder does have good ideas - but he's really not cut out for cinematic universes meant for entertaining masses. Its sort of why we have only one Ga' Hoole movie, when he could have easily gotten to do more.

MoS would have been perfectly fine as a one-off elseworld story. Making it the cornerstone of an expanded universe was nuts.

The entire point of watchmen is it would take a comic book level plot to solve the total unreality of the cold war.

But you're clearly under 18, so its expected you wouldn't understand much about mutually assured destruction and looming apocalypse.

nobody believes superman is actually dead

even the movie couldn't help teasing superman isn't dead in the same movie he dies

he does have to say it to veidt

the dude thinks he's the smartest most perfect person to exist.
but he's still human and completely flawed, of course he doesn't see this, which is his most glaring flaw. he does atrocious things in his name and in the name of humanity. he cowers in safety the whole time and manages to never be in real danger or take any blame. his other glaring flaw is ego.

so the only person he could possibly listen to is Dr. Manhattan, because he's the only person with real power so he thinks they're almost equal.
him pleading for his approval after doing the squid thing, was him trying to keep his i'm right all the time thing intact. but it was coming apart he knew he was wrong.
dr. m couldn't say you're wrong because he was so detached from reality and just wanted to leave, he came to realization he wasn't god but no longer human either. he couldn't say veidt was wrong, but he knew what he did was really bad. nothing ends is a way of saying yeah you fucked up without saying yeah you fucked up.

if this came from anyone else veidt would ignore is because they're lesser, dr. M saying it made him finally question himself for the first time.

superman's death was honestly autistic

that's why

>like Jiraiya is in Naruto
More like Picolo in DragonballZ

Build up.

i think lex says
>your doomsday
at one point in his riddler like ramblings

Because you're a BRAINLET.

Because he was a chill dude and a dope father.

You don't have to be rude. And it didn't take a comic book level plot to foil the Cold War, because we all know how it ended. Watchmen sues the Cold War as a backdrop, the point of the story is still a deconstruction of the superhero mythos and, more importantly, how just having ONE superhero could drastically change the world. Think of this way: in Ant-Man, one of the slides depicted entire armies, miniaturised to fight wars. Of course, the MCU glosses over shit like this, but imagine the kind of impact miniaturisation technology would have if it was actually real. The Cold War still happened in Watchmen because Doc unintentionally aggravated the situation, as opposed to making it better.

Snyder completely failed to add any depth to Supermans character. It doesn't matter how many Jesus allegories you make if you don't write an interesting character.

this bruh

>he may have been your father, boy, but he wasn't your daddy

Not gonna lie, I choked up a bit

Yondu's death wasn't sad. His funeral was, probably the peak of the MCU so far. DC had some good emotional moments, but it was only because of the actors, the writing was always terrible

>Is he cool?

The father/son part got me, cried like a bitch. But I thought that was just me because of my father issues. He also had his redemption act to go with it. And he's a good actor. The Marry Poppins line was cheesy, and he made it good.

Snyder could have used several different fucking emotional deaths for Pa Kent. The most common one is the heart attack, showing that even superman can be powerless to simple things. Another would be him getting killed by Zod, justifying Clark's rage and the rampage in Smallville. But noooo, what do we get? A fucking tornado, to save a fucking dog. Like holy shit this idea had to be approved by multiple people up the chain, and not one single one thought a 2001 tier cgi tornado would be a bad idea to convey the death of the father of the MAN OF STEEL. A literal demigod that could go in and out and save his father and the stupid dog in a split second. The scene itself had to be justified with "oh no, the people will know!" The fucking debris and wind everywhere prevented anyone from seeing anything clearly in the first place. And even if someone saw what happens they could play it off as a rush of adrenaline or just a miracle. There are a lot of stupid moments in capeshit flicks, but this one had to be the most irritating one of all.

Wait, his father actually keeps superman from saving him because "the people will know"? Don't they live in some stupid farm? So like 5 old rednecks who'll die in a few years will see something that they'll forget about the next day and that's it. Snyder is literally retarded

Glad to see more Cat Stevens fans here. Great song, first song my dad taught me how to play guitar on too, so it had extra meaning for me.

He's pretty cool.

manly tears. I cried when Itachi and William Antonio Zeppeli died, too.

Makes it even dumber when you realize people keep finding out his secret identity anyway.

Making pa Kent's death completely meaningless.

kino explanation. 10/10

First we will start with superman. Most people don't give a fuck about him.

Yondu on the other hand was established as peters step father who showed him tough love to help him survive. The ravagers he rolled with hated him for transporting children to Ego and banished him from the group. He eventually finds redemption by sacrificing himself so that he could right his wrongs and let Peter live on. After seeing his sacrifice, the ravagers hold a funeral for him, which is considered a great honor (despite his banishment).

It's not that hard to compare, especially since WB keeps trying to shove characters at us and expect us to give a shit about them without building them up.

because everyone knows superman never dies. It's spoiled. Like the inevitable Star Wars original trilogy remake in the future, nobody will be surprised Darth Vader is Luke's father.

>"No athletic son in his prime, if you outrun me, a geriatric Kevin Costner, people will suspect you're an alien"

fuck i forgot how dumb that was

That wasn't the reason why it sucked so bad. For example, Death is meaningless in Dragonball Z but there are still death scenes everyone remembers and loves.

>but there are still death scenes everyone remembers and loves.

Because they happened before death became meaningless in DBZ.

Nah, everyone loves when Vegeta blows himself up against Buu. It was a well done death scene, no one thought he would stay dead forever.
I always remember when Goku and Vegeta fought Kid Buu, Goku had to specify Vegeta was ALREADY dead and he would be super dead if he died again. Also, everyone who dies on Namik died because they were there to get dragonballs to revive people who died already.

>he's never coming back
b-but infinity stones

I'll admit, I almost broke down at that scene. I was adopted by my step-uncle and aunt. My stepdad was a drug abusing piece of shit who beat me and my mom. My step-uncle took me in when he didn't need to, and made sure I had a good upbringing even though we were borderline poor. Taught me what it meant to work hard and to be responsible man. He died of cancer a few years ago, while my piece of shit stepdad got to live a few more years before being killed.

Everyone's knew superman would be back

It wasn't. Unless you feel remorse for a degenerate psycho because you are one.

Better Jor-El and Han Solo than Jor-El and Han Solo.

>bad people dont deserve sympathy

Is it sad that you’re projecting here?

>And it didn't take

Look at the date watchmen was published and look at the date the berlin wall fell, son.

This is a fundamental cornerstone that, when missed, causes people like you to completely fail to understand the comic, and come up with inane bullshit.

Because his character was one of the few non-shit ones from both GOTG movies

Basically this, what should have been the most epic battle bringed to the cinema ended in a convoluted and forgettable mess

we knew right away superman didnt actualy die, and they even showed the ground move around his grave so imediatly that eliminated any perminance of him being dead