/trek/

Why does the Federation allow slavery in the 24th century edition?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/N7G8cEgiupg?t=39s
youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You mean, slavery of the Emergency Medical Ham? But then, is it slavery that they make replicators produce exactly what they ask for, on demand, or that the warp core engages when the right buttons are pressed?

>You mean, slavery of the Emergency Medical Ham?
Emergency Medical Histrionics
>But then, is it slavery that they make replicators produce exactly what they ask for
No, because replicators aren't sentient
>or that the warp core engages when the right buttons are pressed?
See above.

Was it perfidy?

There will always be some type of slavery. You can say without any monetary system used by the federation that they are slaves "just with more steps." in addition it seems a more advanced civilization enslaves lesser advanced like the cardassians and their occupation of bajor. Or during the dominion war Breen had slave labor camps.

So the main computer of Voyager isn't sentient, but this one bit of software running on it is? But then, Star Trek showed its hands on this one when Bob Kelso pointed out that people kill millions of organisms when they wash their hands, but oh no, they can't destroy some nanites that were fucking up the computer.

Is there a universal basic income in star trek within the federation?

It's all because Picard never told Starfleet about the ship's computer being capable of creating sentient lifeforms in the holodeck (Moriarty.) All because he didn't want to get his pet project Data into even more hot water considering how many times he compromised the ship and how close they were to taking him apart anyway.

>ywn divert the entirety of the Enterprise's power, including life support, to repeatedly scanning, measuring, documenting, and programmatically modelling Dianna Troi's sexual organs

>So the main computer of Voyager isn't sentient, but this one bit of software running on it is?
That's correct. The main computer is capable of running a variety of sub-routines running collectively that creates an emergent technology known as the Emergency Medical Hologram, which fits all the criteria for sentience.

And, yet still, they allow pic related to happen.

Eddington was right.

Imagine if current work standards applied to Starship crews in the 23rd Century: "No flirting between crew members even though you'll see almost no one else for the next five years."

Hank Hill butt

Pretty sure /ourguy/ did that and Crusher in one episode on the holodeck

Everyone has a replicator so currency has become obsolete, save for transferring large debts between governments

>emergent
Ah yes, the watchword of """complexity theorists""" who don't want to admit that they don't know a single goddamn thing about epistemology.

>Is there a universal basic income in star trek within the federation?
When necessary, the (((economists))) at UFoPs stipend officers with latinum but it's completely legal to own and engage in commerce with non-Federation based cultures.

>Ah yes, the watchword of """complexity theorists""" who don't want to admit that they don't know a single goddamn thing about epistemology.
The ship's computer by itself doesn't have sentience and yet it is capable of creating sentience. It's very cut and dry, I've just worded it in a manner to fit your unobtainable skepticism in this debate.

Capitalism is “slavery with more steps.” As in demanding people work in a fashion that is service to needs external to the work.

The federation doesn’t expect anyone to work, it just provides excess and then people either wallow in it or realize their lives are empty and pointless and make a point for themselves. Then offers starfleet as the most direct route to getting the fuck out in space.

>it just provides excess and then people either wallow in it or realize their lives are empty and pointless and make a point for themselves. Then offers starfleet as the most direct route to getting the fuck out in space.
Do you think that when we reach that point, the "wallow in it" phase will be the weeding out of the weak from the strong?
Like, I could see a post-scarcity future beyond the Bitcoin era where people find a way to mine efficient coins and create their own utility while being in a die-off period. At the end of it, there would likely emerge a one world government that regulates resources through AI or competing large economic spheres/nations who use the same method. Probably the latter. 3D Printing the early prototypes of replicators as well. We're seeing the beginning of the Federation minus the Eugenics wars.. oh wait, there is pic related. And it's in India, no less, so.. OH SHIT

BENIS IN FIBROUZ HUZK :PP

No one ever brings up "The Darkness and the Light" when discussing transporter accidents.

I would never step into this machine of death.

>lol don't be such a hippy, it's perfectly harmless!

Oh yeah? Well I'm going to get transported repeatedly, just to spite you. And there is NOTHING that you can do to stop me.

Why didn't they just vaporize Tom Riker like the transporter was meant to do in the first place

>Why didn't they just vaporize Tom Riker like the transporter was meant to do in the first place

Tom Riker's entire existence was to show how much of a cuck Will Riker was for letting Deanna get fucked by the rest of the galaxy and for letting go of three separate captaincies.

T.Riker > W.Riker

Who would win: an Enterprise D staffed by its ordinary crew compliment, or an Enterprise D staffed by 1000 hungry Rikers?

You're phrasing it a little poorly but you're on the right track. Yes, letting people just do whatever and then letting them decide if they want to do something that matters is exactly how the proposed egalitarian star trek future is supposed to work.

How much USD is 1 bar of gold-pressed latinum?

How much toilet paper can you buy with a brick of gold?

Gold is worthless in star trek.

Oh my god they're forming!

Probably at least 1 million USD in today's currency since it is scarce and represents a sizable portion of person's wealth.

But, then again, Quark owned 5k bars of GPL and that wasn't even counting Rom's half which would mean he'd be a billionaire in this analogy so maybe I'm wrong.

Then why do they press their latinum with it?

Because latinum is liquid and gold is common.

paper money is worthless. who says it has to have any actual value at all?

Because latinum alone is in a liquid form. They literally use gold to give solidity to something that's worth way more.

The latinum is inside the gold dumb dumb. What kinda goof hasn't even seen Who Mourns For Morn yet?

That's an odd question, autism-friend, as that's specifically the episode that establishes gold is worthless in trek.

Because it needs to in order to facilitate trade between galactic empires.

Its kind of sad how you call others autistic while simultaneously outing yourself as autistic.

1 kg of gold = $40,204.91
A standard gold bar is 12.4kg, worth $498,540.88
Toilet paper, bought in bulk, costs approximately $0.48/roll, each weighing around 8oz (227g).
A single bar of gold would thus be worth 1,038,626 rolls of toilet paper, weighing approximately 236,000 kg.

Now read the second line of that post.

Why don't they just use bitcoin in star trek?

Because they have computers that could calculate all the hashes in a day?

>Why don't they just use bitcoin in star trek?
By the 24th century, transaction fees are higher than the worth of the transaction itself.

>he still doesn't get it

How does any kind of currency hold value when people have free access to replicators? Are replicators unable to make latinum for some reason?

Or do Federation citizens just obtain their latinum from replicators and are having a laugh with the Ferengi, and that's why they're ok with paying Quark to replicate drinks for them?

The idea is that replicators work on the molecular level rather than the nuclear/atomic level. We can already kinda-sorta push hydrocarbons around and compel them into bonding.

They are unable to make complex material (Like latinum) and are restricted by access to power along with the fact that the replicators themselves require both complex crystals to make and material to replicate into other things.

Replicators can't make everything. Bajor was in a shortage of "industrial replicators" needed to terraform land. The ones they have on a starship probably can only make food and not large or complex machinery. And there are some things that they can't replicate at all like Latinum or are really hard to replicate like Biomimetic Gel.

They also can't replicate anything living or active. Hence why klingons are always bitching about replicated gakh.

youtu.be/N7G8cEgiupg?t=39s

Rivets. This is a state of the art starship in the late 24th century and it's held together with fucking rivets.

>Hence why klingons are always bitching about replicated gakh.
How long has this bird been dead?

klingons eat gakh living, bro.

Why does no one talk about how Harry Kim was killed and replaced by a doppelganger?

who?

Happy Kira is literally the cutest thing I've ever seen, and I'm the Crusherposter.

>Why does no one talk about how Harry Kim was killed and replaced by a doppelganger?
My first few /trek/ threads in late 2015 were constantly populated by this meme and they were also infinitely more creative.

>Not mirrorverse Kira
What are you even doing here?

Too loose.

>What are you looking at Terran?

Remember when the real O'Brien died and sent 3 hours into the future O'Brien to take his place? DS9 has been full of surprises. I'm well into season 4 now and it's great. I really liked how they got an actor who played a klingon in TOS to play the same klingon in Sword of Kahless. I honestly never expected something like that.

He was so good at the start of the show. Why did they turn him into a poetry sprouting faggot like every other ST character?

>What are you looking at Terran?
N-nothing IntendAGGHHHH!!

He looks like he was crying in this scene...and that Klingons only got wrinkles on their forehead.

Riker breastfed by Klingon women fanfic when?

Why have a holodeck when every bedroom could be one? Bars too.

Reminder that in mid S7 of TNG, Star Fleet added a speed regulation not to surpass Warp speed 5 because it creates fractures in space.
Is this still cannon?

According to the writers they ended up ignoring this a lot because it impaired storytelling too much. In-universe, the variable geometry nacelles on Voyager were supposed to mitigate the damage and I'd hazard a guess that they figured out how to retrofit the technology to earlier ships too.

DS9 takes place after and they don't seem to care at all. Then again they're only in a ship when they need to get somewhere fast in an emergency. They mention the defiant can't go faster than 6 when cloaked because it leaves a warp variance or something but they never mention a limit.
I think there's a nod later in tng when the admiral gives them permission to go faster than the speed limit but that's all I can think of.

Do you think Moriarty ever realized he was still in a simulated program? He was smarter than Data

>Do you think Moriarty ever realized he was still in a simulated program?
Barclay was smarter than Moriarty and Barclay programmed his airgapped holodeck so I'm sure he lived out the rest of his "life" quietly, enjoyably, and with the love of his life.

Like 2 or 3 episodes after that there's mention that maximum warp is being allowed for the duration of a mission because it's an emergency, but then it's never brought up again so either they managed to fix the problem offscreen, or they just decided to disregard it after satisfying the crazy dead lady's brother for a short time.

Computer, end program.
>404, Archived

Why have a bar tender if the ship has replicators

>Why have a bar tender if the ship has replicators
Nothing like a charming negress serving you drinks.

I can't unsee the anime references.

There was 5 lights prove me wrong.

I can't.
4 spotlights, and 1 light of my life

5 lights, 4 genders.

>second TOS movie
>moby dick references
>direct tie-in to an episode of the show
>the crew wears this comfy coat in cold environments

>second TNG movie
>moby dick references
>direct tie-in to an episode of the show
>Crusher wears the comfy coat

Even Star Trek has pottery.

Crusher beaute me like

Picard's "NOOOOOOO!" Is also arguably as iconic as Kirk's "KHAAAAAANNNNN!"

Both were badly over-acted. In Kirk's case this is revealed to be deliberate, as he was bluffing Khan at the time. Picard's behavior is really unjustified; I guess the writers just forgot about Stewart's performance in "Family".

No space cops to give out space tickets so who cares.

Literally nothing wrong with Picard's characterization in that scene.

he's implying something to you idiot, also a really stupid neo-futurist. you're not getting what will get us to that level of social organization i'll clue you in LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE and they'll mostly be poor and middle class

youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo

He arguably gets way too assblasted given that he's had years to recover from his personal loss, and had subsequently taken a more upright position on the Borg on the show as well (remember Hugh?)

All that said, I enjoyed Patrick Stewart in that scene anyway. Stage actors ACTING on screen is always fun.

Best episode coming through

This is wrong
This is also wrong

This is wrong.

He's got PTSD from a battle with the aliens that are now eating the ship that he's the Captain of. He's got every right to be assblasted. Also something you guys always leave out is that he gets himself under control in the very same scene, and what does he do? Quotes literature. Like I said before, nothing wrong with the characterization.

Why was Vic real in the mirror universe?

because that was a shit episode, that's why and they threw away all coherence for a shitty joke

Far Beyond The Stars is great as well

Yeah that makes sense God fuck that POS episode

in the mirror universe he is an immoral that survived all the way from earths ancient times.