Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this cartoon was complete garbage right from the beginning...

Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this cartoon was complete garbage right from the beginning? Since the first episode in 2001, the premise has been "saving the world by going back to the past", but it never fucking works. Just as soon as Jack tries to end Aku for good, he gets instantly japed as he transforms into a bat and flies away and before you know it the status quo remains unchanged.

The only way to appreciate Smurai Jack is by turning your brain off. When you break the episodes down into chunks, and get used to Jack always slaying robots, I will admit that there is an element of fun to be had. But the payoff for every adventure is just fucking garbage, because the show keeps forcing Jack to use a time portal to go back to the past and then take it away from him just as soon as he gets close. What's the fucking point, seriously?

Also, the new season is stupid as fuck. It's like they were trying to combine the concept of struggle for survival and moral conflict into one arc, but it's utterly pointless when Jack forgets his purpose before he can even kill all the daughters of Aku and even have a potential sidekick shoehorned in.

Samurai Jack is perfectly constructed to create and maintain one rigid status quo from start to finish. Fighting robots, getting his ass hunted down by Aku's minions and getting into other hijinks with one or two recurring characters. Jack is then immediately punished for trying to end evil once and for all and being constantly denied from using any time portal until the next episode comes.

Steven Universe is and always was better.

Congratulations, you use Sup Forums

You had the makings of a decent post right up to that last sentence.

blew it at the finish line, OP

>Just as soon as Jack tries to end Aku for good, he gets instantly japed as he transforms into a bat and flies away and before you know it the status quo remains unchanged.
Anyone who says this has not rewatched the gangsters episode in quite a while.

Reminder that Jack brought his own biological daughters to the slaughter

>The whole post
Oh...Oh you've got it! You've got it!

>Steven Universe is and always was better.
And you fucked it up at the end. Good job OP

You made your bait way too obvious op

not op, but even if it was bait, why are people so afraid to actually argue bait ops instead of just calling them bait. He does bring valid points.

I argued against it here:

>Steven Universe is and always was better.
Why ruin decent bait?

Transparent bait aside, I always wonder what's wrong with these people who treat media like they're reading a timeline instead of watching something someone made

It's like people who bitch about the episodic Cowboy Bebop episodes. They couldn't care what feats of animation, characterization, or other feats of grandeur are on display if it doesn't push the narrative closer towards it's conclusion.

I can understand being frustrated with filler in a story that spells out a specific endgame, like how people got sick of Lost, or filler in adaptations that wrecks the pacing, like Dragonball or One Piece, but not every show with an episodic nature is dragging ass

Some people got no chill.

tbf 50ish episodes of filler might be a BIT too much

the majority of the post is complaining that much of the series has little to no plot progression. it's fine if he dislikes that format and but everyone agrees that SJ is liked for the individual episode's action and not the overhanging plot which is usually just hanging somewhere over the horizon

if he wants to watch a show reach a conclusion in X amount of episodes that's fine and SJ probably isn't for him, there isn't really anything to argue

But why does it matter when the filler is good? Like when people in the Wakfu threads tell someone to skip the filler episodes and I say fuck no because stuff like the Boufball episodes are fucking great even if it's a total departure from the season's story.

Pretty much like everyone else said, you seemed to have a decent argument, then the final sentence made the bait transparent

Is it really "filler" if the entire point of the exercise are the individual episodes, and the "ongoing plot" is little more than a premise to launch those stories from?

Again, it would've been much better if we got a bit more story progression here and there. Like maybe season finales with some actual progress being made, either in defeating Aku or getting back.

Both of those scenarios would've ended the series unless it just sparked off another plot thread. I wouldn't mind there being more continuity to the old series but I don't think I would've liked each season to end with the big bad getting killed and then starting the new season with another big bad.
Maybe they could've done something like giving Aku lieutenants or personal commanders who Jack would defeat over the course of the series but I'm also fine with the series being handled the way it was back then even though I am glad that it will finally be concluded after this season.

>filler
The show was episodic, at no point there was supposed to be a real ending. In the recent Q&A Gendy said he came with the first draft of the ending more than one year after the show was cancelled

I'm going to let the page banner take this one.

>The show was episodic, at no point there was supposed to be a real ending.
I'm, uh, pretty sure we know AND ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THAT.

You only need one line too turn a actual critique into a bait. This is baiting on higher levels, I don't even think this is pasta.

When a show gets a lot of bait threads you know it's good