Thoughts on Ralph Bakshi?

Thoughts on Ralph Bakshi?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BrqMXLW0SUA
youtube.com/watch?v=pGPwAP6xUng
youtube.com/channel/UCu3zsDFwZkVN-d07hRxmEzA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pretty good. American Pop is his best, most of his stuff is overrated and has not aged well. I am glad he was able to get that last movie out before he died.

Fritz the Cat was shit.

I like that his work mostly revolve around anti-bourgeois themes

He's probably going to die very soon

What is his worst?

>I am glad he was able to get that last movie out before he died.
How was it?

Fire and Ice is the only movie of his I have seen so far, and I feel like that was more Frazzetas baby. Any recommendations for must-sees?

Cool World but that wasn't his fault.

Fritz the Cat, Heavy Traffic, American Pop, and Coonskin.

Grazie

He was and is ten times the professional John K. will ever be.

Who was in the wrong, Ralph or Crumb?

I respect his audacity and his willingness to push boundaries more than I actually enjoy watching his work.

He's not dead.

He use to fire people one day because they weren't working hard enough. Then call them back the next day and tell them to come into work. John K says he he called him and they agreed to work together. The next day at 7 AM he hears banging on his door. He opens it, and its Ralph. Ralph grabs him and takes him to work.

Another guy who said that he was watching American Pop during lunch. Ralph comes in and starts giving in person commentary on the film and then leaves. The guy finished his lunch and went back to work. Ralph finds him later and says "what the fuck are you doing! Nobody walks out on one of my films! You go back there and finish the movie!"

He sounds like a guy who is amazing to work with. Maybe not that talented himself, but he knows how to bring out the best in other people

Coonskin is immaculate

And Don Bluth is 100 times more professional then Ralph Bakshi.

What else is new?

Bluth and Bakshi are like fire and ice. Bluth is ice and Bakshi is all fire

Bluth is more like Dirk then ice.

I like Heavy Traffic and Fritz the Cat a lot (although both feel pretty dated), but I think he's more someone who has vision and some good ideas than necessarily a talented director, cartoonist or animator.

I don't like his work, but I respect him.

I know, he completed the movie before he died. He is not dead.

I can usually see why most overrated work is held in that regard. Not his. By god is his shit bad.

My dad was friends with one of the stage managers working for Bakshi when he was making the animated Lord of the Rings movie. According to him, Bakshi was constantly getting into arguments with dwarf actors playing the hobbits and got so pissed off one time that he actually kicked one down a flight of stairs.

That's insane and I believe it.

Cool World was surprisingly decent considering the meddling.

His worst movie is Hey Good Lookin', which was also fucked by executive meddling.

I liked Wizards.
Adventure Time totally ripped it off.

Could you name some examples? I've seen a few episodes, but never really got a Wizards vibe.

I was jocking about the setting

Crumb. He's talented for sure, but he only hated the movie because it wasn't an accurate adaptation, also fucking nuts as seen in the documentary Crumb, but so are a lot of great artists. All the changes made were for the better. For every political or clever Fritz comic, there were three that were just edgy smut. The movie makes things more interesting while still capturing the essence of early 70s counter-culture America. It's totally Bakshi's movie, and is super impressive as a lowfi DIY animated movie even today.

I haven't seen ANY Bakshi movies, but I want to start. Any suggestions?

I DID like his What A Cartoon shorts , though. I mean, they were a total mess, but I loved the animation.

youtube.com/watch?v=BrqMXLW0SUA
youtube.com/watch?v=pGPwAP6xUng

Hey Good Lookin'

Feel the same way.
Even though it's extremely rough around the edges, I like that Sci Fi thing he did a while back. In fact, it was probably for SciFiI MEAN SyFy.

It was like GITS fucked the Matricks while watching 90's anime and Aeon Flux. And that sounds good, but, it's got,bad genes, so it came out pretty chopped. Still dug the stories.

I think he's someone who says he has a lot of classics, then you start looking through his filmography and he starts every film with "Ok, the problem with this one..."

The dude was an amazing artist, but he couldn't judge the quality of a script writing wise if hi life depended on it. All his movies suffer from really weak writing.

Same here because 70's were the worst times of animation
He's a great animator but shitty storyteller(too chaotic and poor world building)
Also I hate him for being edgymaster

Damn. He can give John K a run for his money.

I genuinely consider American Pop to be the best example of adult animation to this date.

That's not to say his other works weren't great, I loved Coonskin, but American Pop really set a golden standard for me.

I don't understand how a person can do that and not go to jail. Did they just not have laws back then?

They did, they just didn't take midgets seriously, so why bother enforcing it.

Ice and Fire could've done with more adult content. There is a guy on YouTube trying to do the exact thing.
youtube.com/channel/UCu3zsDFwZkVN-d07hRxmEzA

That said, I can still watch the film with kids because PG. Kek.

Heavy Traffic and American Pop are masterpieces. His films in general (with the exception of Cool World) are among the most personal works of animation i've ever seen.

this is autistic

Nothing compares to the stuff he made.

There's honestly very few animation projects that made me feel the way his stuff made me. Just incredible.

The world is slightly less shittier place just because his work exists. Bless.

bump

Cool World, definitely. Although watching Heavy Traffic scarred me, something fierce.

That movie is so uncomfortable to watch, but I don't regret watching Heavy Traffic. I regret watching Cool World.

However, an user pointed out that Cool World being shit isn't exactly Bakshi's fault. His idea for the movie was far different than what was filmed.

degenerate

I'll have to ask my dad about that, but my guess is that considering there wasn't a whole lot of work for dwarfs and midgets back then, the actor was afraid of getting black listed if he filed charges against Bakshi.

>His worst movie is Hey Good Lookin'

i'd do him.

Couple of good movies, but mostly a hack.

Most of his work aged poorly. He's just another washed-up hippie.

Does anybody know if he has made comic?

I wish he got to make ROTK

People used to beat the shit out of each other a lot more. Nobody thought much of it.