What was the purpose of Dooku?

What was the purpose of Dooku?

He got introduced as the baddie in AOTC just a few scenes before the end of the film, and then gets killed off early in the next film. It seems absurdly risky for Palpatine to reveal himself and plans to a Jedi master like Dooku, and its never made clear why Palpatine needed him. Greivous was a fine Jedi killer and served as General to the droids already. Dooku even left the Jedi order officially, so he couldnt even act as a spy like Anakin did.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/k7Uc84U04Sk
youtu.be/mSqBKKFGxJA
youtube.com/watch?v=JV39nnA8mGc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Greivous was a fine Jedi killer
fucking dooku trained grievous

I always felt like the prequel trilogy had a better-than-decent story behind it but was conveyed in the most hilariously poorest way possible in the actual movies.

Count Dooku was just a plot device to form the Confederacy around. General Grievous was brought in because he could sell toys easier than Christopher Lee

Hands down the best villain in the prequels. Should have utilized him a lot more than they did.

>its never made clear why palpatine needed him
Go watch clone wars.

Or, if you're a lazy cunt
He orchestrated the creation of the clone army, and implanting the inhibitor chips within the clones to execute order 66. He commanded the seperatists, and was palpatines way of controlling both the republic and seperatists in the clone wars. Grievous was just a general.

Palpatine used him to start Anakin on the path of the darkside. Executing him in anger was the first step.

Its like the prequels were badly written or something like that

Sifo dias ordered the clones.

Wasn't Dooku Palpatine's apprentice or something? Isn't that why he looks at Palpatine with horror when he gives the order for Anakin to kill him?

Watch The Clone Wars as it's canon and deals with Dooku a lot.

Same. I think George Lucas is legitimately autistic and he has a great view of things from the top down but not on the surface level, there's a very interesting discussion of politics and philosophy in the Prequels that could have been big brained but because he has no idea how people actually interact it comes off as fucking retarded in conjunction with humor aimed at children

Should have been just one movie, where the Republic becomes corrupt so there's a civil war between Jedi led by Obi-Wan and Jedi led by Anakin working for Palpatine over what to do, Anakin and company win (the other Jedi become the red guards) and found the Empire and Anakin becomes Darth Vader

>yfw you thought Dooku was revealing Palpatine's plans to Obi Wan because he's a double agent, still an enemy of the Sith but realizes the Senate can't do shit and leads the separatist movement to create an army that can actually defend the galaxy but it turns out it was just your generic End Boss Speech #49684 and Lucas is still a hack

>badly written
I'd only halfway agree with you. There were parts that were poorly written but the general plotline has some mystery, passion, and is generally interesting. Probably better for a novel or series of books better than a trilogy of movies, where the medium can go into much better detail.

He provided jangos dna template as well as the inhibitor chips. "Sifo dias" was meant to be a play on the words sidious before it was changed to being an actual jedi. if you watch clone wars, Tyrannus is the person the Kaminoans contact regarding anything with the clones.

Dooku actually did, and he used Sifo Dias' name to disguise it was him. In fact, I think this was established in AotC and not Clone Wars.

>he used Sifo Dias' name to disguise it was him
That would explain why a jedi master who's supposed to have been dead for years made the order fairly recently.

jar jar was being set up to be a sith but he was despised and they couldn't exact go with it so random dooku took the place of a random dark side user

Stop. Wasn't funny, still isn't.

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

youtu.be/k7Uc84U04Sk

Lucas needed another bad guy for them to fight

No, Sifo Dyas is killed by some spice farming niggers ten years before ATOC, but Dooku took his name and rounded up Fett and embedded order 66 into the clones nearly 10 years ago/9 years ago

Dooku seems like another blunder of the Prequels. He's an Ex Jedi who joins Darth Sidious for unclear reasons, leads the Separatists, then tries to spill the beans to Obi Wan.

Why not just make him an ex-jedi who left because the Order was growing too stagnated and tied up in politics. He never becomes a dark Jedi and certainly never becomes a Sith. Instead, he suspects a Dark Side plot within the Republic, tries to warn the Jedi council, but they ignore him because he left the Order. So he does the only thing he can think of which is join the Separatists.
Events can play out as in the movies, but Dooku doesn't have a red lightsaber and never corresponds with Palpatine/Sidious.

in the ep3 novel he thought it is gonna happen like this

>during the obiwan anakin dooku fight dooku will kill obi, anakin will capture him as a prisoner
>they will land on corsucant
>he will tell to the court that greivous is responsible for the war and he will provide proof
>palpatine will pardon him
>he will have a high ranking place in the empire

Dooku was a double agent
>tell Kenobi the complete truth about Sidious and literally point out who he is
>always offer life if his enemies surrender without trouble
>never kills anyone on screen
>could have stabbed Yoda in the back while Yoda was saving Obi and Anakin, but didn't
Can't believe you brainlets haven't realized this on your own

he didn't need him, but Dooku realized the corruption amoung the jedi order and seeked to eliminate that corruption, thus their paths aligned and he joined Palpatine

the core story of the prequels was good but Lucas really flubbed in telling it.

The only major details I'd change are

I

1. Anakin being older when they find him

2. Shimi should have been killed by Darth Maul in Episode I to wrap up that loose end and give Anakin a reason to want to train, like they win both slaves in the race and then on the way back to the ship Maul attacks and kills her there.

3. Obi-Wan should have been the one to go out on Tatooine to find parts while Qui-Gon stayed with the ship, came out to fight off Maul and made that more of a scene

4. Jar-Jar stays in Otah Gunga, reappears later in the movie to convince Boss Nass to help the Naboo

5. Cut the entire space battle sequence out, have an older Anakin go fight with Padme, I liked the space battle but the ending was a mess because of having 4 things going on and it's the least important one from a story telling perspective.

II

5. Padme family scene stays, talks about her sisters getting married and having kids. Shows her as disappointed that her career has prevented her from developing relationships, ends up with her as the one pushing into Anakin's life as a temptress

6. Portrays Anakin as more of an oddball semi-outcast within the Jedi to foreshadow resentment that would later be plucked on by Sheev

III

7. Anakin should immediately execute Dooku without Sheev telling him, then he questions his decision and Sheev reaffirms his decision the same.

8. Anakin's fall in general should have been more about his sense of being mistrusted by the Jedi and them not understanding them. Sheev should have used his understanding of Anakin's romance, contrasted with how fucking oblivious the Jedi, even Obi-Wan, his BFF are. It was too much of a dubious promise in the film.

9. Grevious should have been expanded on a bit more and made more of a tragic character instead of a goofy robot

just a shitty sith, thats why his face didnt get fucked up from the dark side

Oh it does. There's tons of interesting stuff. Qui Gon Jinn being sort of a maverick Jedi who doesn't play by the rules, Count Dooku is a former Jedi who's basically the equivalent of Colonel Kurtz, Mace Windu tapping into the Dark Side. All of this stuff is just glossed over or not elaborated upon at all.

The Sith always had more than 2.

They had a master and a bunch of apprentices.

So Palpatine had sword guy, grevious, Duku, and in the cartoon that edgy weird chick. (Possibly Jar Jar sideous)

It wasn't like he just converted Duku that was over the course of decades.

True, have you guys seen Alex Jones explain the prequels? It's gold.
youtu.be/mSqBKKFGxJA

I think it needs some more significant changes.

I.
Not sure on exactly where to start, but I agree, Anakin should have been older.
I would also make him not a slave. Have Owen Lars be related or at least close friends. Obi Wan recruits Anakin for the Jedi, Owen and Shmee stay behind.

II.
Clones should be an external threat to the Republic. The Republic's has a small and inexperienced standing military, comprised of a mix of regional levies, and battle droids. When the Clones attack, the Republic is caught off balance and suffers many defeats. To make matters worse, the Cloners use doppelgangers to sew discord within the Republic. Palpatine rises to power in the wake of a series of military and poltical reforms that standardize and centralize the Republic into a war footing and eventually into the Empire.
Anakin's journey is similar to the movies, he is still in contact with his family on tatooine, so when he hears about the sand people raid that kills his mother, he goes back and massacres them.

III.
Dooku is similar to Just before the war is won, the Jedi realize they were played by Palpatine and attempt a coup. It fails. Order 66 happens.

literally a last minute jar jar replacement. we were going to see yoda and jar jar fight.

I think he was just conflicted with how he felt about them. He was a Jedi until that movie. He really just went to the Dark Side because he came from a royal family and wanted wealth and power again. He didn't really hold animosity towards any of the Jedi from what I could tell.

>What was the purpose of Dooku?

George Lucas probably dug the Hammer Horror films and wanted to be cool and have Count Dracula in his movie.

Which is why his name is Count Dooku and not Darth Dooku. George Lucas just likes to add "cool" things into his movies so hes hip and he just bends the plot to fit it.

1) Using the bait of him being Qui Gon's master to show that Obi Wan will never turn to the dark side and also probably just to tie in TPM a little more
2) To give Anakin somebody to kill to start his journey to the dark side
3) To give someone a red lightsaber to smash against a blue one
3) To show that Palpatine had multiple apprentices but ultimately wanted Anakin more than anything

Agreed with this.

Episode 1 should have started on Tatooine, clearly establishing Anakin as the protagonist. One day, his everyday life gets interupted by the arrival of the Jedi etc. etc.

Instead it was all done backwards.

He was the leader of the Separatist you stupid shit. Dooku and Palpatine were just making an artificial war for the sith to gain more power over the masses.

Everyone just read this for the answer

That would literally be a copy-paste start of ANH.
It's also better the way it is, because we get to see the big picture of what's going on first while giving proper non-rushed development to the big group of main characters.

A parallel to Anankin as well as Qui-Gon
Dooku joined the Sith because he realized that the jedi were corrupt and belived being a sith would cleanse the galaxy, the same way Anakin would later join tot he dark side. Dooku was not only Anakin's physical challenge but a philosophical one as well. Him dying while Sheev betrays hims is an some of what would happen to Anakin in the future, when he was also betrayed by Sheev only to get a better apprentice.
In some ways he is also a parallel to Qui Gon. He was Qui gon's master and like him was very rebellious against he council. Had Qui Gon survived in episode I and gone rouge did is unceratin, but the idea of it was mused by Dooku as he talked to Obi Wan about Qui gon in episode 2. The scene is much like Dark Vader reveling to Luke who his father really is and ask him to join him right after.
The poetry in Lucas's work is pure kino.

based Sheev could have done it himself

He was the leader of the Separatist Council and helped Palpatine orchestrate the war and build the Empire. If you actually put your phone down and paid a little attention to the films you would pick this up immediately. There was also three years of war in between the films which Lucas always intended to explore since the PT started.

>inb4 w-why didn't they just used darth maul
Because he was shit and wouldn't have been a believable politician.

Greivous was so underused that it makes me mad thinking about what the fuck they were doing.

10/10 speech that could have been great if lucas built upon it

imo he's the best sith in star wars, loved him in TCW

So what? I'm only working with what I've got. Anakin's origin story isn't that different from ANH to begin with.
At least it would have established a protagonist, unlike what we already have where there's no clear hero.

Dooku held the title of Darth Tyrannus though, but Count of Serenno sounded a lot more favourable when being the CIS poster boy

Having an old man apprentice sucks when there's a younger more powerful guy that can be groomed

Grevious in Clone Wars was fucking great. I rememeber hyping him like I was don king to my friends only for him to be a shitty asthmatic in RotS

Honestly think Lucas was planning some sort of the Mule character from the foundation series of books but changed his mind because of the negative reaction. Could have worked but Lucas just went too “full retard” with the character.

Or Lucas just honestly felt a stupid comic relief character was key to the film, some sort of counterpoint to the bloated politics stuff he tried to pull off.

George Lucas saw Dracula when he was younger, that is all.
youtube.com/watch?v=JV39nnA8mGc

I like how when anyone posts the answer they get no replies

Seriously. I think we can all agree that the story and core ideas in the prequel trilogy are great. So how does Lucas fuck these up so badly? Like seriously? What the fuck happened? How is he so incapable to see them to fruition?

>there is no clear hero

...i think that's the point. Anakin is not a hero.

Last minute replacement for Darth Jar Jar

Literally the only explanation that makes sense

yesmen and CGI all over

>heroes on both sides

>At least it would have established a protagonist, unlike what we already have where there's no clear hero.
Yes, there isn't a clear one.
But there's a group: Qui gon, Obi-wan, Padme, Jar Jar and Anakin. If you look at it from a fantastical angle, we have: a knight, a knight aprentice, a queen in exile, a jester and a boy with a hidden gift. This is a text book fantasy hero party.

Anyone who payed attention got this user. It's obvious.

He always had trouble with execution and dialogue. Story and ideas were never his problem.

The cgi aged like sour milk, but these films were the first to do this shit. Any kind of cgi (from terribad to good) wouldn't exist, if lucasfilm didn't experiment with it.

Amen

Because he can't write dialogue, and nobody had the balls to tell him that some of the shit was bad because "He's George Lucas, he probably knows what he's doing"

Poorly written characters
Laughable dialogue at times
Inclusion of C-3P0 and R2 was totally unnecessary and did more to obfuscate ties to the OT rather than clarify them
Midichlorians take away much of the mystery and awe of The Force
Anakin goes from slightly unlikable angsty cunt to literally satan in 15 minutes because of a couple meetings with Sheev

>Dude looks like some nobleman, sort of... duke or count
>I get it! I will call him Count Dooku!

>Darth Icky

Fucking autist

>yesmen
Nice meme.
>CGI all over
There's literally nothing wrong with this, and because he kept pushing the technology, CGI looked better over recent years.

>2. Shimi should have been killed by Darth Maul in Episode I to wrap up that loose end and give Anakin a reason to want to train, like they win both slaves in the race and then on the way back to the ship Maul attacks and kills her there.
why that then removes Anakin's rage and anger that leads to his first slaughter of the sand people because Maul would have been dead (ignore tv show surival)

>This guy is pretty insane
>Darth... INSANIUS
Can't believe how he made it big in Hollywood

hi george