Stalker

My God, this film is a masterpiece. How the FUCK does Tarkovsky make scrolling over water so engrossing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S23xQalAHD8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

same way he trances you into believing dogs are supernatural beings and there is a deeper meaning to rocks and shiyt

I guess I shouldn't have assumed more had seen the film

I liek that there isn't really much reason to think the Zone is dangerous, but it has a very surreal atmosphere that makes you think anything could happen.
It was a really different film to what I expected, but I enjoyed it. I might prefer Mirror though.

just recently saw it a few weeks finally.
agree with it's just a very visually unsettling film, maybe i'm a brainlet though.

Yeah, the reverence that the Stalker gives to the Zone exemplifies things also. Tfw the tunnel scene

He knows how to evoke feeling from his audience through imagery alone better than any director living or dead desu.

You are now aware he filmed this movie twice, and that water was so industrially polluted practically everyone involved with those scenes died within five years. Tarkovsky included.

To answer your question, start at 3:09
youtube.com/watch?v=S23xQalAHD8

>read Deleuze
>watch The Mirror
>suddenly everything makes sense

Later in the film it becomes clear the stalker is playing it up to make himself seem more valuable and important. The only danger we know to be real is the room itself, and the way it functions as a monkey's paw

Is this a /comfy/ Tarkovsky thread safe from Griffithfag?

No one on Sup Forums is more menacing and more successful at derailing threads than Griffithfag

heh, wrong board kiddo. Sup Forums is for capeshit, starshit, and brand loyalty wars only

>He didn't "get" Mirror after his second viewing wherein he had a spiritual revelation finally realizing the inherent connection he shares with Andrei --and by extension, all of mankind.

Is there anything actually supernatural in this movie

Stalker's daughter at the end

No special effects sadly

A modern sequel would be nice

>USSR created masterpieces
>USA creates endless trash

Really makes you ponder

Tarkovsky made masterpieces despite the USSR, user. They weren't exactly accommodating.

Russians created masterpieces. Communism had little to do with it.

It doesn't function as a monkey's paw. It just gives you what you desire most, even if it's something you don't think you actually want. Porcupine desired wealth the most, even though on a conscious level he wanted to bring his brother back.

I imagine I'd probably die if I went to the wish granter.

This film is shit

>guy tries to trick other guys into going into room to clear it of whatever trap it has
>this is the whole film
>lots of pans of dirty landscapes
>and muh room

Garbage, you guys are obviously 12 year olds from Sup Forums

I must admit that I viscerally hated Tarkovsky's "Nostalgia" and completely hated the use of Beethoven in it. I've seen it only once, but none of the Tarkovsky films that I have seen did I think are really good.

What's your favourite movie?

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT breed of DOG THAT WAS

Pitch Perfect

>to clear it of whatever trap it has
This isn't even true.
The USSR banned some Tarkovsky films because they were true Christian, or some shit

Why do people reply to themselves like this? It’s Napoléon (1927)

He is trying to do that though because he knows people go in and then they die

what do you know about art to judge what is or isn’t a masterpiece though

I mean come on he knows every trap and he knows the room is rumoured to grant wishes

If he knew what the trick of the room was he would have already had his wish granted. It’s clear his tour is for human guinea pigs

>Napoléon (1927)
>5h 30m
Fuck me
>He is trying to do that though because he knows people go in and then they die
But he's not 'clearing a trap' - he's wanting them to think their wish is granted so that he can feel useful, and to see that there is still faith in the world.

Not only has he already had a wish granted, it doesn't kill people. Porcupine killed himself after he use the wishgranter because it revealed what he truly wanted most which was money. There is no indication that the wish granter kills people at all and I'm not sure why you think that. In roadside picnic there is a trap just before the wish granter which requires a sacrifice, but that isn't stalker.

Pretty sure it was a black lab

Looks like a black alsatian but could certainly be a cross between a few breeds
lol no

Not him. The wish granter doesn't kill people, but was it not implied (if not outright stated) that Porcupine's brother (who Porcupine believed he wanted to save) was killed going through that tunnel, just before the room?

What the fuck happened in this scene? Why did she go from crying to having an orgasm on the floor?

How was the Stalkers wish granted? Nothing suggests that at all. It isn’t clear if he even went in the room, and if we take him at his word then he really has no need to step inside since he already made it all the way and can now help others

It doesn’t address why he would kill himself so readily just because his subconscious priorities weren’t to save his brother

This film’s writing is awful, it’s all atmosphere which is fine but he should have hired a more competent writer.

Thanks, looks like you could be onto something with the black alsatian but the Stalker dog was kind of slinkier, if that makes sense, just a straight german shepherd looks too fluffy, so you're right it's probably some sort of unique mix. Wish I could nail what it is, I'd love to get it.

Stalker had no intention of going into the room. It's heavily implied his daughter (or her condition) is the wish he already made.

And porcupine killed himself because he found out just how horrible of a person he is. He murdered his brother for money, then made the dangerous journey to bring him back only to find our he can't because of his greed. It's entirely believable someone would kill themselves over that. Fuck, people off themselves over far more trivial shit daily.

>It doesn’t address why he would kill himself so readily just because his subconscious priorities weren’t to save his brother
But he was likely overwhelmed with guilt and remorse. Despite travelling all the way to the Zone, despite having a wish granter, and despite believing what he wanted was to bring his brother back, the only thing his subconscious was after was money. He probably couldn't live with himself - he likely questioned if he really knew who he was, or liked what he discovered about himself.

>You are now aware he filmed this movie twice, and that water was so industrially polluted practically everyone involved with those scenes died within five years. Tarkovsky included.
So the director, assistant director, cinematographer, and the actors who played the writer, professor, and stalker. anyone else?

The stalker died in 1995, almost 20 years after

This particular scene also always bugged me desu, was there any reason for her to spasm on the floor that I'm missing or was it just some absurd overracting?

Limitations breed creativity. Hollywood has billions and the ability to film anything they can imagine, but can't produce anything worthwhile.

He was the master of us all. The greatest director to ever live. I would uncover my head and kneel before his tomb.

this

Is this true? Do you have a source?

I don't think anyone else besides Tarkovsky himself died because of the industrial pollution, but yeah, it is fairly accurate that he sacrificed his own life just to finish Stalker.

agreed

I googled around and it seems some people believe he was poisoned by the KGB, too. Will we ever truly know?

It's because in the movie they never get to actually encounter an anomaly, but in the book the whole point of throwing the bolt is because at any point there might a space/time anomaly that might just deeply increase gravity in a small pocket and just compress you into a meat ball or something like that.
I prefer the Zone being shown as dangerous, because then it gives weight to stalkers still choosing to live inside it, because they have no place in the outside world, being accountants or bank tellers.

>you will never make movies so good that people literally want you to kill you

When they first arrive at the Zone, the author starts to go off on the 'direct' path to the room, even after Stalker warns him not to. Does something not happen there, or at least the author has been spooked enough to believe something wasn't right?
Maybe I'm mis-remembering