So the moral of the story was that he was wrong, right?

So the moral of the story was that he was wrong, right?

>Is it worth it in the end?

He was wrong but even Alan Moore missed the point.

Not even the threat of alien invasion could stop America and Russia from being at each other's throats. We're seeing the proof of that right now.

>Nothing ever ends, Adrian

There is no moral to the story.
That's the moral of the story.
It means nothing in the end.

We are not currently at each other's throats. Things have yet to escalate but we'll wait and see.

Fucking Quentin

I hope Quentin comes back

Didn't Manhattan say as much? That even if they do team up out of fear, it's just a small break and unless there's a constant threat they'll just go straight back to each other?
I don't remember the comic, but I could have sworn this was covered in the movie

>BING BING
>WAHOOOOOOO!

So thats the pic used for all those quintin comics

Pretty sure he still pops in on Sup Forums every now and then though last I seen him was a few years ago when a mod told him to go to bed.

Our hero

The moral was that it's extremely hard to tell when you're wrong or right. Even the smartest guy in the world can't be certain he did the right thing.

He was just as stuck in the superhero mindset as the other Watchmen. He had a wider vision but he was still guy with a flashy suit trying to save the world with violence.

>You cannot shoulder the world's problems as some kind of self-appointed superhero savior, if you try you will either fail or be driven insane and to the brink of dehumanizing sacrifice, atrocity or apathy
There's other stuff, it's a multi-layered series of references, commentary and deconstruction through each of the characters, but the crux is that humans are humans and while it is admirable to strive for greatness and good, do not at any point assume you are God's single gift to all life and must do all in your power or will to do what you feel is right.
Because then shit will go very wrong.

No, it isn't significant.

Wrong? Not exactly. It worked in the short term. The problem is that is never enough. As Dr. Manhattan says at the end, nothing ever ends. And really, his name is Ozymandias. The sonnet of the same name is a lesson in how all of our accomplishments are fleeting because time inevitably wears everything down.

The story goes on, and there will invariably be another challenge, another crisis, another disaster because the world never stays saved. Think about every point in human history. Was the end of World War One, the "war to end war," the end of the story? Nope, after that came another war even more destructive than the first. And after that was done, was that a happily ever after ending? Nope, it was the Cold War after that. There are no happy endings because there aren't really endings at all.

So even if he succeeded in saving the world this time around, someone will have to save it again the next time. And the time after that, and the one after that.

Didn't he get doxxed?

that's not what I mean, though.

I cannot see the stupid psychic alien squid thing actually working even for a second, even if people thought it was legit. But it does.

And I say, humanity is far too petty for that.

Shit, the Americans would probably think the psychic squid was a covert Russian attack. And the Russians might just nuke the shit out of America while it was reeling from the psychic squid anyways while there's that psychic squid gap.

We've never been threatened by an alien presence. You don't know how shit woudl work out.

there was also a global psychic effect that gave everyone on the planet an unconscious psychic dread of future attacks

it would go down exactly like American history: our petty stupid tribal differences would be too much for us to overcome to unite against the invading enemies.

>the Americans would probably think
The psychic part stops that from happening.
You think of the squid and you see flashes of some horrific alien planet or something.

I'll agree though that the rest of the world nuking the states to prevent any further invasion is as possibility like in the Avengers, but then again they also might feel losing America's guard at what's seemingly the gates of hell about to spill over might be a poor decision with Doc Manhattan gone.

Desperate times dictate drastic actions

Funny how Rorschach was all butthurt about Veidt's plan, yet he was sucking Truman's dick for dropping the bombs in Hiroshima for practically the same reason

The morel is that Alan Moore is not as talented a writer as he or a sizable percentage of Sup Forums thinks he is

Rorschach is a highly damaged person

Yeah. The dude is so far up his own ass he could crawl out of his own nose

I actually take delight in the fact that movies based on his work vex him so

>American history
>tribal differences
>failing to repel invading enemies

wut?

What's wrong with Moore's writing?

No, Mahatten's point was broader.
Basically, Veidt's solution made the assumption of a "happy ending" where once said happy ending was achieved everything would be basically fine.
Except Manhatten points out that there's no such thing; life doesn't "end" on a climax, and that things keep happening even after you think they should stop because that's the logical "stopping" point of the story.
Veidt, despite dispariaging his colleagues for their super heroics and thinking that their methods just aren't useful or efficient, ultimately falls into the same kind of trap thinking, namely that if he pulls of a ridiculous comic book plot (genetically engineered psychic alien attack) that everything will be okay.
Ultimately this has the same flaw as his colleagues methods; it's ridiculous, unrealistic, and given enough of a time frame the problems involved in the Cold War WILL rise up again because no one person can fix literally everything.

Manhatten just pointed out that even if his plan works, one day something else will happen, or one other thing, or another thing. He can't "win" the storyline of the human race like it's the final page of a comic book series and pretend like everything works out after he beats the bad guys; life doesn't work like that.

There is ALWAYS an afterword, and an afterword after that, and so on and so forth.

Working on your phil degree? You just used 236 words to explain what the character you're pontificating about said in three.

different user but people didn't seem to get it with three words

Nope, but apparently OP didn't get it when the point was literally spelled out to him by Doctor M so I figured I'd be blunter about it, you know?

the moral was that superheroes are a dumb concept whose only value is for children and manchildren and that nobody should ever read superhero comics ever again, except those written by Alan Moore

quintin is consistently right tho

Like that time he got laughed out of /lit/ for saying Great Gatsby was the greatest book ever written

>implying

History proves he was wrong

US & Soviets should have blown themselves up during the cuban missile crisis but they didnt

US & Soviets should have started world war 3 as the comic suggested when the first Afghanistan war broke out between the Soviets and Afghanistan and then US had intervened

But eventually Superpower nations BTFO from starting World war 3. Adrian never gave them a chance to let them broker peace on their own accord , instead he orchestrated multiple massacres for peace to be made under false pretenses with the death of millions of lives for which he is responsible for

Of course, after all the idea that a common enemy can create peace is naive

Veidt's actually far more naïve than your typical superhero. What we often bemoan as a detriment to the quality of comic books is really what makes the characters within them worth of admiration: They selflessly meet the bad guy on the bad guy's terms, not on their own, and won't overstep their bounds to do it. It's the same reason why Carol's Utopiaquest was rightly reviled. The most important part of having such power is knowing when not to use it.

Miss the point of your own story? What?

Rorschach is a hypocrite, it's a pretty fucking big part of his characterization. He kills people for committing crimes like rape and child murder, but idolized The Comedian who was both a rapist and child murderer.

>>American history
>>tribal differences
>>failing to repel invading enemies
>wut?

I know it was 2 am man, but come on.

>236
>2x3=6
Makes you think?

I liked your text.
Was you too?

Natives don't really count as american tho

Yes, he was wrong. Ultimately everything went back to status quo.

I wish you sweeping generalization faggots would decide if Sup Forums is fanboys for Moore or Morrison because it can't very well be fucking both, now can it

Man they shouldn't have cast someone so obviously evil looking as Ozy.

>purple suit
>BOYS
So, he's a confirmed homo, right?

American history is the story of alien invaders, only we were the aliens. I'm not sure how you're not getting this.

>be fuckin around innawoods
>weird ships land
>freaky pale dudes speaking gobbledygook step out
>greet them
>they point weird weapons at you and shoot you dead
>They abduct your kids and take them off to be the feature attraction in an alien zoo
>they impregnate your women with half-breed children
>yfw 1492

Vikings got here first, redcorn

The entire point was that there was no moral.

Sup Forums posters prove again and again and again that they can't understand any sort of subtext or meaning outside of "bad guy fall down go boom".

>Sup Forums posters prove again and again and again that they can't understand any sort of subtext or meaning outside of "bad guy fall down go boom".
This tbqh

It also serves as a handy definition of the difference between a Batman fan and a Batfag.

Though Punisherfags are 100x worse in my opinion

>>Nothing ever ends, Adrian
Should ended the thread here.

Frequent imagery of Time Pieces
Cyclic nature of the art
The pointlessness of war restated over and over
Opening on the joker dying, Birth of Manhattan, closing on Rorschach death.

All symbolism that humanity, and perhaps life itself, is perpetually trapped in an endless cycle of birth and death. "Nothing ever ends" is the theme of the Watchmen.

>threatened
Read the post again. Your response is silly.

People dickride Adrian for the same reason some people dickride Rorshach: they're shortsighted contrarian libertarian idiots that think they're cool and smart for "outsmarting" the writers. Same people who think Batman should kill the Joker and constantly post "[villain] was right!" threads.

And people are going to respond to this with "DURR gb2 Tumblr xD" because they'd rather act like their circlejerk backpat community is better than the other circlejerk backpat community than face the fact that maybe they're not as clever as they think they are.

that's not hypocrisy, it's irony.

If he knew about the Comedian's misdeeds and still idolized him, THAT would be hypocrisy.

Who wears a turtleneck with a double breasted suit?

He's that world's professed smartest man and insanely rich, he can pretty much do whatever he wants.

He did sort of know about his rapist past though, due to Hollis' book. He just rationalized it as "allegations" because he couldn't handle one of his idols going against his stark moral code.

>I liked your text.
>Was # you too?
Yup.

But good thing you found a way to feel smarter than everyone!

That's the point

Definitely in literature as a whole, but there's none better in comics.

I still haven't seen anything that reaches Watchmen or From Hell, even V for Vendetta.

>it's a retard forgets our world didn't have a super powered god-like being episode

Yeah, our world survived the cold war and the USSR had glasnost, but there is no fucking indication that the same was true of Watchmen verse

>but there's none better in comics.
Kill yourself, Amerilard.
Dave Sim's Cerebus alone shits on all those mediocre pieces of shit and Sim is not even that good.
>inb4 "hurr Sim is mean to women, so his work is shit"
If you're one of those, resurrect yourself just to kill yourself again.

>Dave Sim's Cerebus alone shits on all those mediocre pieces of shit and Sim is not even that good.
Hahahahahaahahahaahaaha

Yes, faggot. It is better than the abysmal works you pretend are good.
You can stop having that emotional breakdown now.

If there is a more overrated piece of shit in comics than Moore or Gaiman it's Cerebus.

Nah, doubt it.
You don't get any more overrated than trash like Watchmen.
And seriously, read anything other than American/British crap.

>And seriously, read anything other than American/British crap.
By all means drop the name of whatever you have in mind.

Oh, and for the record before you say. Japshit is also garbage and is never ever good.

Rorschach at least has some sympathetic elements (his horrible childhood, being driven insane by a little girl's murder, being the only one not willing to cover up the murder of millions of people by a rich asshole). Ozy meanwhile is the outright personification of hubris.

Fucking Nikopol for instance.
>inb4 it's shit
So is babby's first serious capeshit, babby's first fascist anti-utopia and horrible Jack the Ripper conspiracist fanfiction.

The moral of the story is that people are shit