Whatever happened to all the Newgrounds animators? All I see are people doing Letsplays and podcasts now

Whatever happened to all the Newgrounds animators? All I see are people doing Letsplays and podcasts now.

Other urls found in this thread:

talkingstickresort.arenaphoenix.com/Tickets-Active.php?eventID=2204240&venueID=55
youtube.com/watch?v=w_MSFkZHNi4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>"it's not about the money it's about the passion. we do it because we love it not like those vlogger fucks who just make up shit about their like in a video that took ten seconds to make"
>animation is unprofitable
>they all quit and resort to making videos that take "ten seconds to make" like podcasts and LPs

The general consensus is that they're still animating, but they're older now and need to work and attend to other responsibilities.

>All I see are people doing Letsplays and podcasts now.
That pays more money than making animation.

Passion doesn't put food on the table, user.

The way the internet is now, especially youtube, it is basically just fucking impossible to make a profit on amateur animation on the internet.

Were they making serious dough on Newgrounds?

I doubt it, but they were kids back then, and not rent-paying adults like they are now.

Making a 20 min Lets Play takes what, an hour at best?
Making a 5 minute animated short can take months.
Guess which one makes more money?

they made quite a bit of money off of youtube back in the day, which is why they're so upset that the algorithm changed, because now they make jack shit.

Animation is hard and takes time. You can record an LP in a half hour then spend another 2 hours editing the footage.
As wild as the thought may be, it's possible to do an LP while also working on an animation.

The "vlog-imation" style of animation seems to be the only currently profitable style at the moment, if only because it's not as much animation as just "Here's a story with not-moving pictures".

Or you can do things like Dick-Figures, EddsWorld and Charlie the Unicorn did and just Kickstart it.

Turns out Youtube is shit for monetisation unless you spew out low effort crap on a highly regular basis.

TL:DR quantity over quality if you want to get paid.

From what I've understood, Youtube monetization system used to reward people who got high viewcounts for their videos, but nowadays it rewards those whose videos get watched for the longest times. Apparently the videos should be about 10 minutes long, if you want to take full advantage of the monetization system. But animating even a short video takes a lot of time and effort, whereas a letsplayer can keep pumping up new content daily.

It's okay to want to earn money. If people manage to make money by utilizing the potential of the internet and doing something that they enjoy, good on them.

YouTube screwed over animation and other generally hard to make stuff. LPS are very easy to make and get profit

With patreon now being a thing I see no excuse for them not being full time animators if its actually something they cared about, they're all big names and have a big enough following to immediately make that transition.
Psychicpebbles makes 2988 a month just off of patreon and the last time he made an actual animation was over fucking 2 years ago and it came out after ANOTHER 2 year break.

youtube killed them
lets players and blog channels are next

most of them were popular before adsense got big, most people who made it big on early youtube made no money
becoming youtube rich became a thing after algorithm changes

TL;DR for one line of text?
I LIKE IT!

Its sheer economics

Its easier to make lets plays and youtube blogs than making a full animation video. Even faster content too. If the amount of money per video is the same, you'll end up with more money from the former rather than the latter.

Its a shame but its understandable. Most people arent in it to be rich but they also want to have social mobility and decent food on the table. Theres also work in more traditional graphic design / animation jobs where they are just another piece in the machine.

because patreon sucks too
generaly the only people who make any money there are controversy and drama starters not anyone with any sorth of quality content
because its a hell of a lot easier to get people to donate based on help me fight this group of people you hate than help me make quality animation
Also only a tiny fraction of people donate at all so you are competing for that 1% of people against every single other youtube channel
Any donation based system has this problem, drama queens get all the money and the people the thing is intended for get nothing

I'm pretty sure podcasts shouldn't take 2 months to edit/draw art for/etc.

all I know is that the work for hellbenders is done
pic related

Can't feed off passion. It's not really profitable to make animations. One video every month that makes a few hundred thousand views which makes you a couple of hundred dollars? Fuck that.

It's why Erin totally ditched his shit for Game Grumps. They can make 1-3 videos in an hour and have them edited and uploaded just as fast.

By comparison a decent 5 minute flash animation takes roughly 500 hours of hard work and makes probably $1000 dollars tops if it works out.

It's why so many people flocked to patreon because they could lose the ad revenue in return for extra money from direct income.

I trekked through newgrounds and saw plenty of new animations and vids, flash and iirc video now.

I guess some people are still interested in internet animation

I think you're confusing patreon as some sort of tumblr e-beg platform.
It's just a regular e-beg platform, I make about 1.2k on it and I have a youtuber friend who make around 800 with youtube only being a thing they mess around with only once in awhile and all they do is video game reviews.
It is a donation system so a lot of people can live off it by just turning out a bunch of low quality content but there are still plenty of good content creators who make quality content that still can live off of it.

All the old guys got, well, old. Responsibilities took priority over animation. There's still plenty of new talent who don't have the financial obligations of an adult who are making cool stuff, but they don't get as much visibility because the internet has become a huge quagmire of non-stop low-effort content that keeps new talent from rising to the top.

>I think you're confusing patreon as some sort of tumblr e-beg platform
patreon is a tumblr e-beg platafarom you moron, everyone with a shitty tumblr is there
and im not even targeting tumblr, look at jim sterling the fat fuck plays 20 minutes of the lowest gabage steam games and makes a video a week where he choses whatever is popular and bashes it and is makes 12k a month
12k out of his fucking patreon alone, add at least another 10k out of adsence and miselaneous like brives and shit and he is making a quarter million a year
also every single shitty lets player is also on patreon
i dont know what you make or your friend makes, 1.2k is still far from a livable wage, an animator cant survive on that since an animator cant get another job and still have time for animation

and now you understand why everyone else here hates normies

I blame Apple for ruining the internet with soccer moms and normies.

>Theres also work in more traditional graphic design / animation jobs where they are just another piece in the machine.
So in then the end sacrificing their "passion" didn't matter as much as continuing to be a special snowflake? Good to know.

also facebook
but it isnt an internet only thing is it?
remember those cringy trollface tshirts? thats modern culture

Jim Sterling is like the shadbase of youtube reviewers. People support him because he's an edgy try hard.
I'm not disagreeing with the fact people who surround themselves with controversy or drama make good money, just that people can survive off of patreon just fine without it.
I live comfortably off of 1.2k with some commissions every once in awhile, but my point was, even me and my friend who are nobodys can make decent money off of it. He'd be making more if he didn't work a full time job and released more then 1 video per month.

>trollface t-shirts
And yet the guy that made trollface never gets any money from them. It's not even like he's some anonymous guy, either, it's right there on his DeviantArt. His name's Carlos Ramirez.

patreon isnt an infinite source of money, ita a place where people get free money based on how much more popular they are than the rest
the reason why jim sterling makes so much money and you dont see animators doing the same is that animators cant survive in a content creator support site when competing with drama starters
again jim is an example, how about leafy, idubz, anyone else, i dont follow these shitty trends you get my point

>Youtube monetization system used to reward people who got high viewcounts for their videos, but nowadays it rewards those whose videos get watched for the longest times.
This.
Because some people were cheating the system and having boobs used as the thumbnail, which in turn would garner views, Youtube had to change it and many animators got screwed over because of it.

exactly
2017 internet is still not profitable unless you scam people, create shady money laundry buisnesses, take off your clothes or know how to piss off someone
its a blubble, internet has always been bubble after bubble, its going to pop

Chris, Arin, and Ross all make triple what they ever made before with lp's.

they aren't 14 year olds living with their parent any more, they have to eat

>Arin isn't a 14 year-old
He acts more like one than before he started doing LPs. He cut ties with the guy who worked with him on "Girlchan in Paradise" and outsourced all of his stuff to someone copying his style.

they got patreon and are no selling access to their half finished projects instead of doing it for free

so were are the new kids?

hyuns dojo managed to get sponsorship deals with crunchyroll and audible.com

The problem isn't just the lack of passion but also the fact that none of them have any drive either. They don't care enough to draw for anything but money and the few who do don't have enough drive to really push themselves instead of shit post on twitter.

They are a mix of both lazy and greedy at the same time.

>He acts more like one than before he started doing LPs.
sure, but he isn't one. he needs to put food on the table, and doing LPs is working very well for him.

Same thing about flash game: people realize they could make money with it so why bother continuing doing it for free?

a lot of people do, i wonder how much money does it exacty net you
especially since they get like 5% of the money of everyone who follows their personal link and buys the service (nobody)

Animation takes far too much time and work to be profitable with Youtube's fucked revenue system.

To even break even on Youtube, a content creator would need to put out two to three videos at twenty minutes tops daily. Good animators who put time and detail into their work like, for example, Harry Patridge, are lucky to get two or three videos out a YEAR.

There's plenty of people on Patreon that do good work like Plague or the guy who makes videos about food from tv and movies

Same is true for Chris. Even for millennial standards these two are immature as fuck. Ross seems okay though.

I thought Oney and Psychicpebbles hated each other now because they disagreed politically?

im sorry, how is this an argument?

Newgrounds animators need to shut up about politics because they all come across as absolute bellends.

>people realize they could make money with it
nobody makes money out of flash games tho
its something like 0.000000100% of people making any sorth of profit

I don't know where people get that.
is kinda right Zach's politics is dipping into his other stuff way too much

everyone says this, but I've yet to see any real evidence

All people that can be loosely definable as 'famous' should shut up about politics, imo. It's neither left nor right with me either. If you're a celebrity, you probably don't have a good understanding of the problems of the common man. And also they won't stop spamming my fucking twitter with it.

>Zach's politics is dipping into his other stuff way too much
this is painfully true
>"we don't want to talk about current issues to not date the podcast"
>Zack talked about Trump at least 3 fucking times

at least he's not a complete retard about it like Jon

Not really. They're just letting their politics show in their work too much nowadays.

Absolutely agree. Trump's an obvious moron but my whole twitter timeline is full of celebs retweeting some shit that he's done or some "Zinger!" tweet against him. I don't follow voice actors for their fucking political opinions, make a second twitter for that shit. Tara Strong is one of the worst offenders.

>so were are the new kids?
talkingstickresort.arenaphoenix.com/Tickets-Active.php?eventID=2204240&venueID=55

>Zach does a stream
>ventures into tangent on the election
>Zach does the podcast with Jon
>politics takes up part of the runtime
this is the exact reason I prefer Chris over Zach

they truly come off as narcisistic dont they
they assume they are absolutely right even tho they also assume the people supporting him are doing so because there is something wrong with them and worst of all they think of themselves as some sorth of saviour thats going to influence shit sending their legions of fans to do good

honestly it has all been a big reminder that no matter how much you like an actor all celebritys are shitty people

>rent
>not simply working multiple jobs to buy the house/property

>not being able to manipulate time so you can perform two full time jobs (one of wich you dont get paid for) to entretain people for two minutes every other month

>why don't poor people just make more money?!
Republicans in a nutshell

>not going back in time to stockpile on Detective Comics 27 so you can sell them at auctions in the future

plot twist you bought so many of them they became worthless

> THING THEY DO
> NOT DOING THING I DO INSTEAD

do you think you're even remotely interesting and not some autistic Sup Forumstard trying to convince internet strangers of your rectitude

The auctioneers won't know that. Just sell them one by one across the world. Your first sale should cover all flight tickets.

Unless you're an expert hooker.

More interesting than Newgrounds animators? Yes

They could afford to do animations for free back when they were all still in highschool and didn't have responsibilities.

They grow up a little, and animation on youtube is a VERY profitable enterprise.

Then youtube changes the way they monetize content, and suddenly animation goes from making you an upper-middle-class salary to basically making nothing.

They could go to patreon, but like it or not, let's plays just make way more money.

>I've manage to accomplish slightly more compared to other people on Sup Forums

I MAKE MORE IN AN HOUR THAN YOU MAKE IN 1 AND A HALF HOURS!

You're wrong, Tom Kenny is a good guy. I'm friends with his son.

it seems like full animation is worthless but that minute of animation that could have gone unnotticed otherwise can make some differenceif spread across a larger video
look at the animation recommendations on youtube and its all family guy clips

I'm a girl, I wanna do let's plays but I probably gotta lost weight first. No one takes fat chicks seriously, hell I don't take them seriously either.

this is a comics and cartoons board, not your tumblr

Depends how fat and what kind of fat you are. All you really gotta do is tease rhetoric right group of guys and they'll throw money at you.

you could be a super model doing it in your panties and you still wont be very successful, there are just too many lp's out there at this point, you can not make a name for yourself.

If you want to do it for fun, go ahead, but don't expect more then 100 views per episode

There are still some diamonds in the rough, like this guy here.

youtube.com/watch?v=w_MSFkZHNi4

I FUCKING TOLD YOU HAHAHA

>encouraging people who want to talk about anything but comics and cartoons
truly you people are worsethan hitler

A few years ago YouTube changed its monetization algorithm to favor videos that were at, above, or around 10:00, and uploaded more regularly.
Now think about the animation channels, obviously they couldn't keep up with that by animating without it being awful or working worse hours than an anime artist in Japan.
So they had to either use gaming to subsidize the animating, accept making fuck all and get a real job to pay the bills, or switch to vidya entirely.
Such is life.

The best one is still out there animating. Cream rises to the top.

Makes more money than animation and requires little effort. To quote what Oney said in a recentish video, "Let's plays are fucking easy to do".

Yeah, he's been monetizing t-shirt sales and limited edition prints. Which is probably a (reasonably) good way to go about it.

holy shit, that was really good

1.) animating on the web makes no money and all your favorite newgrounders are 22+ years old with apartments and rent to pay

2.) the best ones now do graphic design, after effects, post production, and animation for big fancy studios and shit now. you'd be shocked how many vanished artists work for big game/movie studios now. thats where the work is. and thus, the money.

3.) making money off the web requires going viral. theres still no scientific formula for that happening. for every Felix Cosgrave / David Firth theres tons of other animators and artists making similar content you've never heard of and never will.

Thats just how it is.
It doesnt even take much research to see it.
It's common sense shit.
But again this is Sup Forums.

I don't have a tumblr :^)

5'5 and 158 lbs.

And the new gen of internet artists are too lazy and ADHD ridden to finish anything.

Do you have any evidence to back up that claim? The only lazy and ADHD ridden artists that never finish anything are the original Newgrounds crew. And don't give me that "they're in the industry now" bullshit, it takes 5 seconds to pull up ANYONE's name to find out if that's true((this only applies to Egoraptor(voice actor)).

It's not true.

>150 lbs
>"lol I'm so fat XD"

Fuck off Stacy. If you want to make a lets play channel, at least do something original or entertaining like Dodger.

What happened exactly?

>but like it or not, let's plays just make way more money
"Daddy why are you a fat sack of shit who never leaves the couch? When is mommy coming home?"
"Shut up kid I have to make funny noises now"

>Tom Kenny is a good guy.
he'll always be loved for playing the villain in Shakes the Clown, even if he was just doing it for his childhood friend Bobcat

Some were doing it as a hobby, others have branched outside the Internet, a few died.

>No one takes fat chicks seriously
Please don't take this as a Tits or GTFO but if you're stacked every nerd will be all over you Amanda?

this guy's obvious love for Terry Gilliam isn't hurting any