Can someone give me the basic gestalt on the quality ranking of the prequels vs new Star Wars...

Can someone give me the basic gestalt on the quality ranking of the prequels vs new Star Wars? Which is better without using memes please

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oKm4ueVuxpY
youtube.com/watch?v=-PQpL0cHyc4
youtube.com/watch?v=J1gH_cjdb60
youtube.com/watch?v=3sLClMPccJM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

People don't like the prequels, but they are solid action movies for children.
New star wars are just hype and role reversal. They are not very good movies by themselves.

Personally:

Prequels have more heart but holy shit they are bad films. poor use of CG and pacing is everywhere.

Nuquels are watchable, but the behind-the-scenes forced agenda is blatant, and it comes off like whoever is in charge doesn't know what they're doing (pro-tip, they don't).

Both are awful.

Why the fuck is Star Wars still alive? 3 good movies in the 80s and an endless parade of garbage for the next 30 years.

Prequels are masterpieces
The new ones are absolute and total trash that I wish would bankrupt Disney.

The Prequels were bad enough that you shouldn't be watching the new stuff because you SHOULD have learnt the painful lesson that Star Wars ended after the first 3 films.

youtube.com/watch?v=oKm4ueVuxpY

Prequels were Lucas attempting to warn us. But the Media panned them and shut them down to prevent him from teaching us the lessons he gleaned from his deep study of history, art, architecture and religion

Prequels are worse movies (expect for 3) but the world they created lent itself very well to spinoff stuff like videogames and TV shows. Whereas the new movies, while technically much more competent, are banal, boring, and don't lend themselves to any spinoff material because it's just a redressing of the OT.

Prequels try to be this big story of political intrigue, corruption and romance. It's kind of hackneyed and the CGI is trash, but it has heart and charm.
Nu-Star Wars is a cash grab made by Disney with a hack director, a shit cast and no spirit.

the original trilogy are the only good movies and the KOTOR games are the only star wars media with interesting lore

the rest of it is shit and overrated

5>4>6>>3>2>>>RO>7

Dark Forces/ Jedi Knight series was pretty good

TPM > RotS > AotC

RotS is the most-overrated of the sequels and it's basically that people rank it highly.

It's a bloated, rushed mess. People drool over the messiest, most-drawn-out saber fight in any SW movie because they're a sucker for visuals.

It's not on AotC-level bad, but it's nowhere near as good as people continue to claim.

5 > 4 > 6 >> 7 > R1 >> 3 > 1 > 2
This is undeniable.

Clones is not worse than Revenge of the Sith. Phantom Menace is obviously the best prequel.

but otherwise this is good.

A lot of people here, as well as myself, like episodes I-III. There are some goofy ass parts that make for good memeing especially episodes 1&2 but 3 is actually really good imo

In conclusion, watch 1 and 2 with a grain of salt, knowing there will be goofy shit

Episode III is better than VII and Rogue One

You know it to be true

To be fair, the prequels are much of a muchness.

much ado about nothing.

It's certainly more entertaining. I just can't say it's a better film.

Forgot to mention even in the 3rd movie Hayden Christensen's acting is pretty fucking bad

KORAAAA JATATAAAAAAA
KOOOORAAAAAAAA JATATAAAAAA

DUDIDUDUDUDIDUDUDUDIDUDIDUDIDUDU

DUDUDU DI DU DI DUDUDUUUUUU DUDUDU DI DU DI DU DUDUUUUUUUUU

I would say that VII is the most "entertaining" but one of the worst ones l, but I respect your opinion

>implying any piece of music could even come close to this

youtube.com/watch?v=-PQpL0cHyc4

The prequels are space opera. They’re grandiose and cheesy and melodramatic. Tragic heroes and star crossed lovers and backstab and grand speeches and great good versus great evil. The sequels feel likes contract obligations and toy sales.

5>4>7>6>3>2>1

Counter point: there are no terrible children in non-Phantom prequels. There is also limited Jar Jar.

Prequels + Return of the Jedi > First two of the original trilogy >>>> Paul Blart Mall Cop >>>>> Disney’s nu-starwars

5>2>6>4>3>7>1>R1

I like what I like fuck off

5 > 4 > 6 > 7 > R1 > 3 > 2 >>>>>> 1

aotc is legitimately one of the worst movies all time due to how much screen time the romance gets

like they should show that shit in film school as an example of how not to do a romance, its like the worst one i've ever seen

5>4>6>2>3>7>1>R1

>you will never conduct like this guy

Why even live?

youtube.com/watch?v=J1gH_cjdb60

4>5>6>RO>7>2>1>3

FFS THIS IS THE LAST TIME:
The only true ranking of all star wars films ever is that they decrease in quality chronologically
StarWars>ESB>ROTJ>TPM>AOTC>ROTS>TFW etc etc.

5>4>6>R1>1>3>7>2

I think I can agree with this desu

Its a matter of personal opinion really with only a few concrete "facts" really standing out.

My opinion is that the prequels are arguably bad movies due to Lucas' direction. That being said they have good things and moments nestled inside them that have actually aged well despite their shortcomings.

Ironically I think the reverse can be said of new films. By filmmaking standards Force Awakens and Rogue one have been good movies, but have bad things in them. Namely being the forced nostalgia clearly and obviously mandated by Disney. This naturally means the more exploratory designs and concepts that made the original good need to be removed. Everything needs to be drawn back to the originals because "that's what people want".

all those scenes are laughable, but those are like the only scenes that give the prequels a recognizably human element.

The film is also really beautiful in an early 2000s digital HD kind of way

>re-watching the anakin scenes now
christ this dude really cannot act

youtube.com/watch?v=3sLClMPccJM

Prequels have the heart and creative force of Lucas behind them, but they suffer from the constant awful decisions he made ALL THE TIME and are an absolute mess.
The new trilogy is basically the opposite. No heart, and it's all very calculated and measured. What came out on the theaters is exactly what Disney wanted.

>mfw Alex Jones knows more about Star Wars than the average film critic

Huh....

Objective quality rankings:
5>4>3>6=R1=1>2

I'm not into star Wars for the pacing or dialogue, I'm in it for the music, world building, themes and story elements. I also judge a movie by how high it can rise as opposed to how bad it can be.

My favorites in order
3>6>5>1>4>7>2

>The new trilogy
nigga calm down you've only seen one of them and it was basically a setting the table/introducing new characters film.

Revenge of the Sith is the only good Star Wars film. The rest are pleb flicks that are sometimes fun. That includes the original trilogy

Ok sure. Im talking about the 2 movies that already came out (and Rogue 1 technically isnt part odf the "trilogy" properly said") but does anyone expect disney to treat star wars with respect all of the sudden?

>that lightsaber fight on mustafar
>corrupting anakin scenes
>obi wans everything
>"how did this happen we're smarter than this?"
>"apparently not"

K I N O

the clone wars god tier is star wars

A little too contrarian.

You don't think esb is better than new hope? IV just feels like it's framing the story and V has more action and more is resolved

>can someone tell me what to think about these movies
Are you serious OP?

You're an idiot
5>4>3>2=1>>>>>>>

At least I could format my post properly.

I'll post my opinion, because why not

5>4>6>3>1>7>2

the problem with people like you is you refer to Disney as if it's one meddlesome person. SW is a product of a committee of creatives, and always has been.

George didn't direct 2 of the originals or write them himself, and he had tons of help from people who were experts in their field.

If you think George is the sole reason why Star Wars was good you didn't really see the prequels.

>OT
It's good
>non OT
It's shit

parts of ROTJ were shit though.

Touché

Star Wars 1 was like a Flash Gordon spinoff. It felt very retro. There was a evil robot-man in black, a good princess with stupid hair in white. There was a plucky teen farm boy who wanted to save the princess and learn the mysterious ways of an ancient religion. (ignoring all the plagiarism from Japan-Man).
What really "ruined" SW wasn't Disney or the prequels, but Lucas and his team by making Star Wars #2. By removing the retro-cheesy charm of Star Wars with more depth, it morphed it into what it was. It was always going to evolve into this.

Here is my honest to God view of Star Wars as a lifelong fan.
>OT: Started it all, great movies and a lot of fun
>PT: Kind of silly with clunky dialogue but still has that trademark Star Wars feel
>DT: Soulless cashgrabs, "reboots" the universe by copying the OT. No Lucas = Not Star Wars

I'd agree with this for the most part. But I'd change "great" to "good." But that's me.

sheev
and
feed

Lucas had almost nothing to do with what made Star Wars great, the original film was a total accident and would have been complete shit if it weren't for the talented people surrounding Lucas.

you forgot about one thing though

THE GRAND VISION

yeah, the """"Grand vision"""" that was built upon retcons, half-assed scripts that weren't finished until halfway through production and last minute rewrites to bolster toy sales

people always harp about the evils of the Disney Jew but Lucas did stuff six trillion times more jewish than the actual kikes at Disney

I appreciate that a big part of what makes IV good is its adventure serial purity, but any star wars fan would strongly disagree that Empire *spoils* that. If anything it matured the formula so much it changed franchise cinema forever.

Now everyone expects a certain weight of Greek tragedy from their franchise films (Vader being Luke's father and Luke kissing his sister is essentially Oedipus).

V > VII > VI > III > I > VIII > R1 > I

V
I
S
I
G R A N D O
R N
A A
N I
D R
V I S I O N A I R E

5>4>6>RO=3>1>2>7

And II? Also, spoil VIII for me.

alright fuck me

He gave a decent performance in the movie Shattered Glass, though the character he played was a nerdy con man which is probably more his speed, plus it had a real director in charge.

Correct

[Actual movies]>V>IV>R1>VI=III>II>>>>[capeshit]>>>>VII>I

What about Rogue One?

Time for a non-contrarian ranking

V>IV>VI>VII>III>R1>II>I

Actually it should be

I>II at the end there, sorry about that lads.

>I and II suck

When's the last time you watched them?

Two years ago. Phantom Menace is just as bad as when I saw it as a kid. Two is a goddamn abortion, makes The Room look masterful in comparison.

I unironically rewatch them every year or so because the music is nice.

I'd just like to say Seven doesn't count.

>Phantom Menace is just as bad as when I saw it as a kid
>Two is a goddamn abortion, makes The Room look masterful in comparison

Scathing assessment

Hardly a minority opinion but thanks anyway m8.

I know. But Disney Star Wars movies are clearly aimed specifically to generate money by a committee. They're not the product of artistic vision, instead they're just a product,

Yah but like who is snoke though

5>4>6>3>1>2>7>RO

It's been a good thread, we've had some laughs, we've had some cries, but it's time for an objectively correct ranking

ANH > ESB > RotS > RotJ > TFA > TPM > AotC

too early to tell. VII didn't really do anything but introduce people and Rogue One just showed us shit we didn't need to see.

VII and IX will be where the plot actually develops.

This is a good opinio, I would say TFA and TPM are equal, though

phantom is better than TFA. yes jar jar and jake lloyd suck but it's the closest to the OT of the PT

I think you meant to move the nu-wars movies to the end and add a bunch of >>>>>>>>>>>>>> between them and the prequels. It's ok, an honest mistake.

I watched III, II and I a few weeks ago and they were fine. Just because you and your nerd friends hate these movies doesn't mean they're actually bad. Tonally they're good, aesthetically they're masterpieces and that's why they grossed billions.

The Force Awakens = Attack of the Clones

It's cool that you roleplay as a hipster on a mongolian fly fishing board. I hope I can be as cool as you one day.

neither Clones nor Sith grossed a billion and if that's the metric you're going by Marvel films are aesthetic masterpieces.

You're a fag dude. Why don't you want to talk about the movies? Probably because you don't have any original thoughts on them.

I already did talk about them. Are you ok?

Original trilogy is more of a tribute to science fiction serials of the time and very much a product of its time. Note that George Lucas was always into the "merchandrising" mindset since developing these films, and he didn't really go all out until he gained full control of the films in the third film.

Prequels have a lot more world-building but are hammered down by autistic dialog and little kid humor. They are very much auteur work and despite the new additions to the mythos, George's obsession with merchandising suffocated many of the good qualities of these trilogies.

The Disney films are like a synthesis of George's business mind with that of a fanboy. The films are safe and contain multiple references (both to the original films and to the EU, the extended universe before it was made non-canon with Disney's acquisition) that will make any fan both giddy and oblivious to its marketing ploys. They are products disguised in such a way that "true fans" can't say no to.

The first time I heard this when I was 9 seeing it in theatres was the first time cummies came out my wee wee.

My personal opinion

4 > 5=6 > 3 > 7 > 2 > > R1

None of them were ever bad per se. Rogue one is lowest because it was the most forgettable. Still a fun movie though.

Sure the CGI in the prequels aged liked coffee but I will admire what Lucas tried to do. The republic we saw was a much more refined and elegant time than the totalitarian world of the Empire. Jedi were much better trained with their lightsabers and theatric and they had cool shiny ships and shit. You can tell that the galaxy went to shit when the Empire took over.

Also that N64 podracing game is the shit.

The only thing I'm salty about is Disney trashing the EU. As fun as the sequels, they'll never beat original EU

>what are toys

>The people who think the prequels are garbage and the people who like Marvel movies are generally the same people.