Beware the Batman

>The series ran on Cartoon Network until it was pulled from the schedule four months after its premiere, without official explanation. After the series was put on hiatus, the remaining episodes of the season began to air on Adult Swim's Toonami block, from July 27 to September 28, 2014.

Wow, that animation is not great

My personal theory is that it was pulled because it was a really shitty show that nobody watched.

>Not wanting to watch Slade become Bruce's best friend just so he could betray him

It's nothing new. CN and DC had beef and CN was totally willing to murder a Batman show just to get back at DC.

It would've been cool to at least let the show finish airing in regular hours, though. They could've even burned off the rest of it like they did with Mystery Inc.

Maybe it's because they turned Alfred into Vinnie Jones, tried to shoehorn in Katana instead of Robin & they tried to just use every shitty character that no one's ever heard of instead of going for something "cliche" that's been done before...You know...like a sub-par Batman show.

Magpie is just a discount Catwoman
Anarky was just a discount R'as al Ghul
Prof. Pyg was never going to be good because in the comics he's literally a serial killer, which isn't going to make it onto the show
Hugo Strange has almost never been an interesting character.

shhh of course not

>tried to shoehorn in Katana instead of Robin

It led to the creation of the Outsiders.

>Magpie is just a discount Catwoman

If Catwoman was a psychotic would-be murderer, sure.

>Anarky was just a discount R'as al Ghul

That comparison makes no sense.

>Hugo Strange has almost never been an interesting character.

I took the bait, didn't I?

And all of my points were how they sold them as in the show though. Despite these characters being markedly different, they sold them the same way. Anarky was portrayed as being some intricate mastermind & not just a dumb kid wearing fake shoulders. Magpie being a threat at all & not constantly holding Uzis. The Outsiders never went anywhere in the show.

>Anarky was portrayed as being some intricate mastermind & not just a dumb kid wearing fake shoulders.

None of his plans worked and he pretended to be the instigator of major stuff when he didn't really do anything.

>Magpie being a threat at all & not constantly holding Uzis.

Magpie was portrayed as a threat in her early comic appearances. Not a massive threat, obviously, but she gave Batman and Superman some trouble. She wasn't a jobber like Condiment King was.

>The Outsiders never went anywhere in the show

The show served as their origin story. They formed to foil Deathstroke and save the day. They were obviously setting up more for them for the following season, but got cancelled. It's like saying the Fourth World stuff in YJ or Sinestro's appearance in GL:TAS went nowhere because those shows ended.

Yeah, the show got cancelled, which means that NO they DIDN'T go anywhere with it, because they didn't get a chance to. Yeah, maybe bringing up Terra in the last episode of TT was a poor idea considering they didn't get another one, bad idea! Magpie was at worst a thief with a gimmick for bad haircuts & "shiny" things who occasionally shot at people because she's "edgy" & late-80s.

That's why Anarky is a poor man's R'as in all this: it never really went anywhere. Setting things up that don't go anywhere because they're getting canceled is something only Lynch was able to do well & is used by everyone else to try to be a instigating factor to "Come on back! We never got to THAT part!"

I'd like to keep Batman 2D animated...but at the same time, I don't want the show to reek of Korea like the latest Batman animated films. They are too stylistically "anime" looking imo.

/thread

Wasn't Anarky more of a discount Joker?

Disney crushes WB because WB can't get all it's camps in line. A Network they own should be airing cartoons made by another company they own. There's nobody at the top cracking the whip

>Vinnie Jones
ITS GOING TO BE EMOTIONAL

It wasn't a great series but I applaud them for at least trying some different things instead of just another Batman show.

A little bit. He never felt insane enough, though, and he seemed more content in watching over what the actual main villains were doing.

This show was criminally underrated, had great characters, a nice storyline,and used some lesser known characters.
Unfortunately CN being dickheads never advertised and only showed it early on weekends.

Every Batman show has been different, this one was also just bad.

>Yeah, maybe bringing up Terra in the last episode of TT was a poor idea considering they didn't get another one, bad idea!
This, more than anything else, proves that you're a simpleton. Things Change was always intended to be the finale.

I liked the way it looked except the never seemed to be any civilians around in the bits and pieces I saw. That bugged me

This picture sums it up: Bad guy uses chess as a metaphor for intricate planning & forethought. The Joker doesn't think these things over, he just ACTS & the closest he gets to "big plans" are usually campaigns like "I'll become the ambassador from Qurac" or "I'm gonna dress up as THIS guy!"

Oh, I'm a simpleton for thinking bringing up a mysterious return of a dead character & a SUSPICIOUS new monster that is never explained is perhaps not a faulty idea or a cheap excuse to try to be like "Folks, right? You wanna find out what happened right? Vote with your wallet & tell them studios who was wrong, eh?"

You are definitely a simpleton and did not understand the episode.

the various 'embargoes' the batman cartoons have to put up with is quite seriously retarded

of course kids didnt want to see nobodies like pig and toad as RECURRING villains

This. They should have just focused on one or two of the smaller villians and put effort into them if they wanted them to become popular

Just like BTAS did with Mr Freeze

Then please, Gizmo, explain the deep intricacies of bringing back a dead character and how it somehow ISN'T just an interesting twist for its own sake or for cheap thrills. What was the true deep purpose of this huge monster that shows up out of nowhere & the sudden reappearance of Literally Terra, but she doesn't remember anything though (Which is weird, you think someone would recognize a member of the Teen Titans considering they are Jump City's big heroes & HAVE A HUGE STATUE OF HER sitting around.)

Sigh. For TV animation that isn't that bad but it still looks way too snappy and poppy to be very watchable. And the colors are awful.

>>Kids don't want to see a guy bat costume beat up a pig man and a talking toad.

Now that's just false.

The only good thing to come from this series was the new costume they gave Magpie. Also Anarky should have been Killer Moth, think about it

Teen Titans was never the show that worried about finding specific answers. We never found out Slade's deal or what was in the briefcase in the racing episode. They didn't care about HOW Terra returned and if it even was her. They cared about the overall theme of moving on with your life. The girl was happy where she was and Beast Boy had no right to try and drag her out of it. He needed to learn, move on, and accept that he won't have all the answers in life or get who he wants.

Part of me wonders if he did have a greater scheme in mind. He wasn't a catalyst like he wanted to be. When he was involved in greater stuff like the League of Assassins or Dent's arc, he seemed more like a bystander than someone affecting the plot.

It wasn't on an embargo. It was a creative decision not to use famous Batman villains too often. They did get to use guys like Ra's, Killer Croc, Two-Face, or Man-Bat, and a lot of them had their own twists on them.

Magpie was the show's Mr. Freeze. A tragic backstory that made the villain more compelling, an iconic design that is being used more often, and raised her overall profile.

So let me get this straight, you're shitting on it because it's using the lesser known parts and characters of Batman's history?

They're lesser known for a reason. How excited would you be for a Clone Saga cartoon?

not that guy, and i dont have a problem with the lesser villains AS LONG AS you still throw some big fish at us too. you cant let the D-list rogues gallery carry the show

Beware The Batman is a good Batman cartoon that lost potential because of:
-lack of legal rights to use certain characters
-limited budget (Cartoon Network not interested in funding action shows)
-censorship (removal of guns, rewriting Magpie's origin story and making the show less dark)
-forced to air the show before creators were done making background characters and finishing up city

That's what it did, though. But they were part of the larger storylines, while the others were mostly villain-of-the-week fodder except for maybe Anarky.

You forgot the part where Cartoon Network sold the rights to the government as a tax-write off and didn't tell Toonami until like a week before they lost the rights. So they had to marathon the final 7 episodes in a single evening, or else those episodes would have never aired on television.

The Outsiders, Penguin, Two-Face were meant for Season 2 which never happened . I agree that the lesser known characters should have been portrayed more like their comic portrayals rather than just replacements for familiar characters.

>Cartoon Network sold the rights to the government as a tax-write off

does that mean it's public domain? or the government could air it on PBS?

It's refreshing seeing other comic book characters getting the spotlight. The Arkham games do fine without only using the overexposed villains. There's more than to Batman than just what showed up in The Animated Series.

Did you work on the show or something or are these just guesses over what happened? It sounds like some behind the scenes info there.

Yeah, what the fuck was up with that? They couldn't even let the show die with some dignity. That was some surprising lack of professionalism.

I don't believe it works like that. It's more like the rights are being held hostage, and the only way they can be reacquired is if someone were to pay back the same amount of money that CN got for the tax write-off.

This doesn't mean anything for the home video or streaming rights, by the way. Just the TV rights.

First half season of Beware Of The Batman had almost no background characters and lots of background characters were reused for multiple scenes. The same goes for background vehicles. 2nd half of the season seemed a lot more polished and showed more people.

It's sickening how much hate Beware The Batman got without people even watching it. Not every Batman has be B:TAS

so i could pay the government and start a 24 hour batman and megas tv network?

I for one thought it was a very progressive show to feature a Batman who is handicapped with the Zika virus.

The part about the removal of realistic guns was widely reported at the time. Beware the Batman was in production when the Aurora cinema shooting happened, so they changed all the guns to lasers in response.

They did the same thing with Megas?

Yup, even when Prynoski wanted to buy back the rights. Fuckin dicks

>at least Brave And The Bold had a series finale
>even The Batman had a chance to have more than one season and end with the Justice League

Along with Sym-Bionic Titan and Thundercats 2011 (and potentially other shows, but only those have been confirmed).

>Thundercats 2011

NOBODY WRITES OFF MUMM-RA THE EVERLIVING

It means Cartoon Network can't air the show unless they buy the rights back.

DC/WB does own the overall rights, though, and can do with it as they please. They just can't air the show on CN again.

Slade's deal changed all the time. First, he wanted an evil apprentice, then he wanted to kill the Titans, then he wanted to just not work for Trigon.

Ding-Dong Daddy was a joke character on a joke episode. I mean Red X was there too (I'm surprised you didn't bring him up, considering they didn't explain him either.

The problem therein is it's also, inadvertently or not, creating a metaphor that WE need to move on from the show being over as if they weren't just cancelled out of nowhere. The obvious idea is that "Yeah, it's not Terra" or "She's happier without this life being forced on her," but the show was also big on its own continuity with huge spanning arcs that lasted whole seasons too.

>and making the show less dark

Which is funny, because the show got quite dark already.

>kill count only rivaled by Batman Beyond and Brave and the Bold
>fanservice outfits and camera shots
>two cannibalistic villains
>overall tone was gloomy, more akin to B:TAS

>I mean Red X was there too (I'm surprised you didn't bring him up, considering they didn't explain him either.

I kicked myself right after I made my post for not bringing him up as well.

I think of the producers said they had some idea on who he was, but they didn't care about revealing it and they likely forgot about it by now.

Red X was more or less a Red Herring.

>kill count only rivaled by Batman Beyond and Brave and the Bold

I recall all the Soultaken people, but was anyone else killed off?

Silver Monkey kicked a goon in the face after a failure that was dragged off afterwards, rather than carried like you would an unconscious person.

The previous commissioner was killed off-camera by the League of Assassins.

how many people died in Beware The Batman?

I'll admit, my reception of this show was soured by the fact that GLTAS and YJ were cancelled right before ANOTHER Batman show was made, instead of any other DC IP. I'm a Batfag but even I'm tired of him. I applaud the show writers for trying to mitigate this by using obscure villains but they were just not executed well enough to carry the show. They're D-listers for a reason. Plus Batman's design and the abandoned city was distracting. Only Magpie caught my attention but that might just be my penis talking.

It's not that they were D-listers, it's that they were nothing like thy are in the comic books. Instead we get Professor Pyg as Poison Ivy, Magpie as Catwoman, Lady Shiva as Bane, etc.

Katana's soulstealer sword wasn't Katana enough. Katana's design was very plain. She looked more like a female Nightwing.

>All this talk of Anarky and Magpie
>Nothing about the shitty-not-Mad-Hatter Professor Pyg and Mr Toad

These Wind in the Willows motherfuckers were terrible -- Eco-Terrorists? Really? C'mon now...

And yet, Humpty Dumpty was pretty fucking good despite being in this shitty series, almost BTAS tier for me personally

While yes, but ratings were actually decent until it went on hiatus.

>Magpie is just a discount Catwoman
>Anarky was just a discount R'as al Ghul
>Prof. Pyg was never going to be good because in the comics he's literally a serial killer, which isn't going to make it onto the show
>Hugo Strange has almost never been an interesting character.
3/4 isn't bad

>Magpie goes on crime sprees while just wearing underwear and a corset

At least six.

>Magpie as Catwoman

When will this shitty meme end?

Yes, the other user is a retard.

That too.

Almost as fun as Prometheus letting Midnighter fuck him so that he could betray him later

Did Bruce and Dane ever fuck?

Why does CN hate WB/DC?
They literally are owned by the same company.

>the first time he and Katana fight Lady Shiva they can barely manage to touch her while fighting together
>the next time they meet, Batman solos her

This series was inconsistent as fuck about how good Batman was supposed to be.

They have to divide profits with DC. They're obligated to air the shows, not renew them or give them good times to air.

Probably a brojob here or there. All part of Slade's keikaku, of course.