Is there any quantifiable reason why this movie flopped?

Is there any quantifiable reason why this movie flopped?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DsWklwCFOoI
youtube.com/watch?v=SvJ9lZfaDBg
ew.com/article/2000/02/11/road-el-dorado/
youtube.com/watch?v=4fRdwJch6uo#t=13m48s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bad advertising and the premise is maybe a little too much for kids to handle. Also despite having Elton John doing the music it was pretty lacking and not very memorable. Chell got them hips though.

Needed more Chel. The Road to Chel Dorado would have been a huge success.

I´m the only one who thinks that Flynn Rider looks like a fusion of those two?

>Also despite having Elton John doing the music it was pretty lacking and not very memorable
you and I are enemies now

Two male protagonists would lead people to thinking they were gay.

No, only in your oversexed mind.

They weren't?

Not only the looks, the personality too
The horse is also very similar, being stolen from an officer

>Implying this isn't GOAT

youtube.com/watch?v=DsWklwCFOoI

They were both clearly into Chel. I think they were bi.

Pretty sure the blond was just hungry for adventure.

And the chief's fat redskin cock

there were literally no commercials from what iremember being a kid and i watched alot of tv.

I hate this picture. Not because it's shit, but because it's how I drew when I was 16. And I hate 16 year old me.

I hate current-me too, but there's only so much hate to go around.

that one bottom center chel.
gotta superbad

It wasn't a kid's movie.

I honestly think it might have done better as a live action, if they could tone down on the magic stuff near the end.

dat pacha chel bottom center.

Same issues as the emperor's new groove. Not funny, no music and a shitty non-adventure that only exists to set up sarcastic comments from the two main characters who barely even care about what's happening.

Although this is the exact thing Shrek did, and people loved that. Because it was 3D. So ultimately it flopped because it was 2D.

Not enough advertising, along with it being released during the rise of 3D animated kids films.

It's still definitely my faves though

you're just trying to make me mad

>no music

I think that if animated movies like these were released now with enough marketing behind them they would be more successful.

I can relate

>not funny
dude

the part where prisoners on the ship still has me in stitches

Damn, these are hot AND interesting.
>8/15/98
damn i'm feeling old

Not enough ass

too smart for the room

I wish they were gay lovers as they were originally written to be. They're already oractically there in the final product.

I dunno. I'd say both Tulio or Miguel is better than Flyn on their own.

>gay lovers as they were originally written to be

[Citation Needed]

>no "cool" character to market to young boys
>no white princess to market to young girls
>cute animal is an armadillo

this isn't complicated

They were gay for cocks, but also gay for pussy.

They were gayest of all for adventure and gold.

>bad advertising
I'm always skeptical of this. It's such an easy excuse to drum up.

>Emperor's new grove
>Not Funny
>Road to El Dorado
>Not Funny
>Road to El Dorado
>No Music

reminder that this concept art didn't become the final design.
though this might have been for the canceled sequel, but I can't remember

It wasn't cgi

LEWD

Having watched it recently I thought it was fine but nothing amazing. The songs are good and the main characters' friendship really carries the movie

It was 2000. A time after which 2D movies were starting to be seen as generic (especially in 1998), but before the big CGi boom in 2001.

zones chel animation was to late

They were in the original script.

they were bi. Chel was still a love interest

youtube.com/watch?v=SvJ9lZfaDBg
This is the only advertising I remember for it. I think I got the Priest toy with my meal.

Director of Tangled is a DreamWorks copycat, Zootopia could be a DreamWorks movie too if it had less sublte jokes.

I loved it as a kid. Still do. Then again I'm Mexican

They were gay in the original draft of the film, some scenes that hint at their relationship still remain though, like where they run naked through the woods to that hot spring. Dreamworks nixed anything further though and had Chell added to make sure it was clear.

>fishingpole.jpg

Disney was flopping at the same time.

It was just a really bad time for 2D animation regardless of quality.

>Miguel and Tulio were originally written as gay
Okay, I googled this because I would love for it to be true, but I was skeptical. It seems like it'd be a rumor that got amplified through the years. But I found this:

>”There was a lot of me saying to Kevin [Tulio], ‘What’s the plan now, darling?”’ says Branagh [Miguel]. ”But they cut the ‘darling’s out, actually. Jeffrey would say, ‘I don’t think you can say ”darling.” I’d say, ‘It’s affectionate.’ He’d say, ‘Yeah, yeah. Different kind of audience.”’
>ew.com/article/2000/02/11/road-el-dorado/

So we know that the script included a lot of pet names and that they were cut to make it seem less romantic. That's decently gay for a family movie from 2000. Although I would like something even more explicit. Does anyone have any more evidence? Perhaps a "Word of God" statement about this from the screenwriter or directors?

Seeing Chel's thighs for the first time was an enlightening experience. There's a time when you go from a boob guy to a boob and ass guy.

The movie was simply to intelligent. And that is lethal sin for producers. Audience wants to be entertain first, taught morals last. El Dorado got it all reversed.

>Also despite having Elton John doing the music it was pretty lacking and not very memorable
I'll fucking fight you IRL

Here, take this taste, since you obviously have a serious and terminal lack of it.

Dreamworks 2D arm shriveling up with El Dorado was the early warning sign that 2D animated theater releases were dying in America because of completely arbitrary and stupid reasons.

Japan still makes 2D movies that print money and all Disney execs think is "audiences don't want to see 2D, let's recycle Tangled's artstyle again"

Trail We Blaze and Tough to be a God are the only good songs in the OST. Certainly the only memorable ones, and even them some of Tough to be a God's lyrics are a bit iffy. Compared to Lion King, the last animated film with Elton John songs, only two good songs is a fucking joke. Unless you want to post all those other great and memorable songs from the soundtrack that literally no one remembers or cares about.

>Tangled artstyle

if it ain't broke, why fix it?
-Disney

>Western theatrical animation shifting over to 3D,
>No snappy pop-culture references like Shrek
>No princess
>The character's problems and conflict is too adult

white boys cannot deal with HIGH TEST girls.

I wish gays wouldn't try and project their fantasies onto things that are decidedly straight.

I wish straights wouldn't try to project their delusions onto things that are decidedly bi.

Can we have a moment and appreciate how much of a bro Chief Tannabok was?

You arn't clever or interesting, your comment was a waste of time.

1: it was released when CG was taking off, people wanted CG movies.

2: The "natives think we're gods" premise is cliched as fuck

3: they spent a fucking fortune making it and it didn't really show.

4: It was funny but lacked any real 'magical' quality like you get from the best Disney and Don Bluth

4 Too many winks to adults watching, not enough for the profitable kids.

5. didn't really have a hook, wasn't unique, wasn't based off of a well known tale

it's not gay if its in the three way

But there were only 2 good songs in the lion king, too.

Seeing chel as a young kid gave me so many confusing urges. She's probably the reason I'm so into Spanish girls

> real magical quality

The fuck is this imaginary metric you're applying to animated movies? You're seriously gonna say dumb shit like the Disney animal mascots are "magical quality"?

The horse was a ripoff of the one from El Dorado for sure.

Also, I think the issue with the movie's success was that it wasn't exactly a kids movie, but was animated and had some more out-there stuff like the stone monster. So you have parents who don't want their children to see it, but you also have adults who think it's for children.

I've heard rumors that Disney threw away all the equipment for handdrawn animation after Frozen was a hit.

>youtube.com/watch?v=4fRdwJch6uo#t=13m48s
They still hand animate some things. Concept art and Mini Maui for instance.

But not final animation that's to be released to the masses, even though it is so much cheaper than creating models from scratch and animating them and creating new tech for it.

I won't deny that Moana is a good-looking movie, with it's focus on water and such, but the it does leave a bitter contrast with the Steamboat Willie lip service.

Chel was the first and possibly only animated woman I fell in love with. I genuinely wanted to marry that character. It was sad.

I still do.

If you say another bad thing about the music, I will fucking end you.

come on the soundtrack was absolute shit