What happened to R-rated action flicks?

What happened to R-rated action flicks?

I'm talking about movies like Robocop, Total Recall, Aliens and The Terminator which all had a perfect blend of gore and action scenes

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2ZXSaSFrTB0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

most teenagers can't go see them

Just this year we got a second John Wick and a second Kingsmen.

CGI makes the gore so over the top and unrealistic that no one over 5 years old feels shock or scared.

What happened to old-fashioned pair of balls? Soy, that's what!

Can’t be shown in China, so Huali-wood doesn’t make them anymore

The market changed.

I wish somebody would just give Verhoeven a few million dollars to make another movie.

Bull shit. It's about execution of it. Look at green room. That split second shot of yelchin's arm was more effective than all the cgi boogeymen you could render.

Focus testing killed it

>the raid1&2
>john wick
>the expandables 1
>ninja assasin
>alien covenant
>shoot em up
>inglorious basterds
and the list goes on. There were quite a few R rated action movies in the last few years

You didnt even mention Turbo Kid and/or Dredd.
Shame.

>shoot em up
>inglorious basterds
>Last few years
A-user I...

Ah yeh dredd was amazing. Will check out turbo kid

Time is passing fast if you just sit at home and watch movies

Turbo kid is a hilarious movie, dont expect anything too serious.
I have to rewatch it sometime.

Don't you know?

Childrens movies are for adults now! Don't worry about having bad taste or growing up! Now you can watch what you grew up with: Starwars, Superheroes, and other autistic garbage.

Those movies are cool, but nowhere near as gory as Robocop or total recall.

Snyder tried and you failed him

This
Much cheaper to merge it with capeshit and take out the R rating.
That way manchild and childchild are happy. Mommy gets to see a hairless chested gay man pretend to have super powers

I think this guy was clinicaly insane

>Robocop, Total Recall, Aliens and The Terminator
Of those four films Robocop, Total Recall and Terminator were very intelligent films that discussed broader themes about the human condition. Now, there is no discussion.

pedowood just regurgitates their neoliberal bullshit for the world to see. It's not that we've run out of great artists or ideas. It's that the town doesn't take risks. Not to mention that the biggest demographic for these kinds of films are young white men.

>mfw he wrote Jeremiah Johnson, and it was almost a Peckinpah/Eastwood film but it fell through and became a Pollack/Redford film

>youtu.be/2ZXSaSFrTB0
That Le Matos OST is literally an 11/10 album.

Not enough quips, movies that aren't light and funny don't make much money.

Not Family friendly or feminist enough.
Also producer dont have interest in this genre anymore. Their interests live in the money they can make out of nostalgia, if its not transgenerational it wont be produced.

Isn't a myth that pg-13 ratings equate to a better box office?

Mad Max Fury Road, Hacksaw Ridge.

I'm sure the demise of practical effects has something do with it.

They went direct to video. Peter Hyams and Isaac Florentine are your guys.

>Peter Hyams and Isaac Florentine
Their movies aren't the kind of visceral experience that Total Recall or those other movies are still, and their films are thematically empty compared to the types of films that OP was talking about.

Even movies like Rambo (the first one) weren't dumbed down and retarded or derivative hyper-masculine bullshit . All of the sequels were that, but the first film was visceral and explored the depths of his despair after what the war had done to him and the abandonment and isolation men like him felt in society. Now it's just ironic bodybuilders and strong women taking on le bad goys. All action movies are like this. All hero stories broadly are like this.

It's gay.

they're boring schlock
I loved them as a kid but they don't hold up regardless of your weird obsession with masculinity
blood everywhere was new, exciting, and somewhat taboo at the time but now every 10 year old is desensitized to gore and titties

Women.

It was always pretty hard to make a successful R-rated movie that either didn't star Arnold or wasn't a really cool original idea. Neither of those things exist anymore.

It's really just a matter of making more money. PG-13 can make you more money, plain and simple. Theater owners want PG-13 and below movies to get more families in. Look at Fury Road - seemed like an enormous hit, people were celebrating the return of big R-rated action movies, etc. It only made $378 million worldwide. Stupid capeshit or Fast and the Furious shit can make that in like a week and a half.

Now that you say it. Even John Wick films are thematically empty. There haven't been emotionally charged action films for a lonh while.

Logan

>Not enough quips
80s R-rated action movies were full of some of the most iconic quips and one liners in history. They were notorious for them.

He is absolutely lucid. It's the world who went nuts.

True but John Wick was bordering on post-ironic in the revenge film genre. It was at least clever as a concept and very well executed. It couldn't buck the trend of thematic emptiness but it seems that no one can these days.

Movie studios should just make two versions of the movie. The R rated version and a PG 13 version. Play both and let the adults go to the R and the children see the other. It would be the best of both worlds. Movie studios already have multiple versions of the same movie. There's the standard version, the 3D version, the IMAX version, the IMAX 3D version, etc, etc. And all of those are just gimmicks. An R rated version would be much more important and profitable.

>implying this doesn't look fucking stupid

Edgy children who used to watch those movies are now soy men who value fun and quips over everything.

I think that was the point, him exploding in a like water balloon doesn't help either.