The homespun quality is gone, and the references are much fewer and simpler...

>The homespun quality is gone, and the references are much fewer and simpler. And no longer do you even get a chance to laugh, as each second-long scene change is accompanied by a new quip. This is truly a Mystery Science for the easily-distracted, smartphone generation.

>That fact is made even more evident by the lack of any overall narrative throughout the movie riffs. Previous character iterations would actually pay attention to the film and have callbacks to earlier scenes, or even running jokes (as in the rightly-lauded Space Mutiny masterpiece). This new episode, featuring the movie Reptilicus (I think), instead peppers the viewer with incessant quips that have no relation to each other and exist in a timing vacuum. It lessens the overall experience, as even with all the jokes, I don’t think I can remember a single one, and can barely even recall what the movie was about.

>Shit, I couldn’t even tell who was talking! The voices of new host Jonah Ray (aka “Jonah Heston”) and Baron Vaughn and Hampton Yount, who have taken the reigns of Servo and Crow, respectively, are so similar as to be nearly indistinguishable, as if all three were auditioning for the same highly-contested animated show role. Even if the writers had tried to give each character a through line, I probably wouldn’t have been able to pick each one out.

I was a fool to get my hopes up. (also, puppets are Sup Forums)

>I was a fool to get my hopes up
I could've told you that the moment we learned who was behind it.

>I was a fool to get my hopes up
Yes, you were. What else needs to be said?

Mst3k is now part of the mcu?

I've only read 3 reviews of episode 1 so far (including the one greentexted by OP).

So far 2 are saying it's good and 1 is saying it's bad.

However, the consensus between all 3 is that the riffing style has been "updated" to be quicker and more frequent. It was likened to Family Guy by 2 of the reviewers. Take that as you will.

Nice blog.

>Take that as you will.
You know full damn fucking well how Sup Forums will take it.

This production died the moment Tom Serveo was not voiced by Kevin Murphy. Sure, it had other problems, and they are huge and glaring, but come-the-fuck-on, Kevin Murphy will do anything for money and he's a seasoned writer FOR THIS EXACT THING.

Furthermore, to find out that he was not even called. To think that Joel cut him loose, 30 years later, is fucking disheartening. "No, they didn't even ask if I wanted to come back." Augh.

When did Sup Forums become Sup Forums?

Well, he IS coming back for 1 episode as Bobo.

I think Mike is the only one who has said he won't be coming back. Apparently, Best Brains fucked him over on royalties or something.

Pruppets have always been Sup Forums

Around MCU phase two, when the staff began actively encouraging it for God's knows what reason.

Where can I torrent this disaster?

>likened to Family Guy

Into the trash it goes.

All I really want to know is if NuTom constantly beats the "I'm a BLACK GUY now" drum as a running gag. He did it in all the promotional stuff for the new season (the Kickstarter Turkey Day promos, the Star Wars audition short for Funny or Die, etc.).

That's something that looked like it was gonna get really old, really fast.

>This new episode, featuring the movie Reptilicus (I think)
>I think

Now THAT is quality reviewing.

Nope.

In fact, you can barely tell which one is talking during the movies. They sound exactly alike, both in voice and tone

>Felicia Day
>Patton Oswald

Oh god, they're the epitome of "LOLOL I am such a NERD! Like, Star Wars and Doctor Who, amirite? Allonsy! Fire the photon torpedoes! LOLOL God I'm such a NERD just like you people!" style humor.

Hard pass.

Which season?
This is VERY important.

FUck

Then you're just deaf dude, don't know what the fuck to tell you.

>Which season?

Uh, the NEW one? Season 11.

From a different reviewer (I know links are frowned on as spam by Sup Forums):

>a significantly faster pace — a creative decision Hodgson has explained as a response to the rat-a-tat humor popularized on the internet and in shows like Family Guy — and the fact that HD production means that the “cheapness” of the host segments and other model-driven parts of the show takes on a whole new dimension.

The rest of the review was positive, though, and framed the Family Guy thing as a good quality.

>deaf

You're a rather dim bulb, friend.

There was a revival of this? Didn't they learn after that movieriff shit from youtube?

Is there a single revival besides Jack that hasn't sucked?

And from another review (that was positive):

>As far as the riffing goes, the gags favor putting words in the mouths of the characters and obscure pop culture references over non-sequiturs and direct commentary on the quality of the film. I shan’t spoil any of the gags here (my oath of silence as a Kickstarter backer is sacrosanct!) but the writers do a fantastic job of keeping the humor flowing without talking over the movie. Small wonder with a writing team that includes the likes of Rick and Morty creators Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon!

I didn't get what he was trying to say. In one sentence he claims that the riffers are putting words in the mouths of the movie characters, but in the next sentence he says that they AREN'T talking over the movie character dialogue?

So which is it?

The Beavis and Butthead revival in 2011 was generally regarded as up to standards with the original series, even if it was short-lived.

>I shan’t spoil any of the gags here (my oath of silence as a Kickstarter backer is sacrosanct!) but the writers do a fantastic job of keeping the humor flowing without talking over the movie. Small wonder with a writing team that includes the likes of Rick and Morty creators Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon!
Did reddit write this?

Yeah, the Beavis & Butthead relaunch was every bit as good as the original series. Even some of the new things they introduced, like making fun of reality TV clips in addition to music videos, was well done.

And it only lasted a season because fuck Mtv.

Yes, anything that says anything positive about rick and morty must always be reddit no matter what

Just for reference, without linking:

Review from Adventures in Poor Taste (negative review)

Review from Comicbook.com (positive review)

Review from Kabooooom.com (positive review)

Fuck you, I liked it. The non-riffing parts need some work, had a rushed "this is a pilot" quality to it, but overall it was good

It lasted enough to constantly show reruns so MTV doesn't have to give any money or do any work with the old episodes because of the music videos.

They should have hired better writers t seems. There are fan shows that capture the spirit better

If you consider Rifftrax a revival, it's fucking excellent

its true joel is a prop comic great with puppets, mike was the one that wrote most of the good stuff and maintained a narrative for the riffs

lets be real here, MST3K took a while before it got good. maybe this will too.

Satan knows what he's talking about.

it took more than a while, it took Mike

early rifftrax, lately it's been very meh but even still, they'll get really good ones every now and then

The live riffs have been really plunging in quality.

Nobody remembers The Film Crew

not wrong. I really wish it had been him coming back somehow.

Let's be honest, we all knew this would be shit.

i need to buy all of them eventually.

You mean a reboot built on the premise of catering to PC theocrats and tumblrite feminists turned out to be bad? Color me shocked.

Most reboots are shit

i went to the live reunion, and when joel and jonah riffed that haircut short together i felt my heart sink, it was not very good. I actually REALLY liked Amy jo Phel and Bridget Nelson's riff the best, wish it was them doing these.

Get used to it. Cultural Marxism will ruin more and more of our once good entertainment until it's completely unrecognizable, fit only for lemmings.

>people hating on Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt before they see any footage, who are going to watch this anyway

Such fucking retards.

Like, take a stand. Don't watch it. But you will, so that you can complain about it on the internet, which is all your life has become, complaining about things on the internet.

You are literally the same person that complains about a superhero movie 3 months before it opens, ripping apart the trailer and whining 24/7, and then... you go see the movie opening night.

They win, you lose. The very thing that you hate, you become their bitch. That is what you are, a little cucked bitch.

MST3K was always pretty PC my dude. I'm sure you've never seen it but i assure you that it may not be for you.

>Bridget Nelson's

Birdget's kind of an unsung hero of MST3K because unlike most of the other writers, she never got to perform a major character and only got bit recurring parts here and there. She was more behind the scenes so nobody really cares about her.

But her writing was part of what really elevated the show, along with Mike and Mary Jo's writing, and she deserves more cred than she gets.

No one even mentions her as coming back for the new season or not; not even as Magic Voice or something.

Yeah, but I'm going to watch it without paying for it.

Joel and the 'bots singing AND THE WHITE RACE WILL SALUTE YOU" to the opening of Mr. B Natural isn't that PC.

Perhaps, but it wasn't as horribly forced and over the top as it is now. There were some enjoyable episodes where the lefty influence could be ignored.

It's Sup Forums. If it wasn't before, it is now. I have so decreed it.

back to Sup Forums with you

Underrated post

Back to leftypol with you. This site has no room for triggered tumblrinas.

basically, the new show can;t use any of the old good talent because they're all part of team mike, which sucks. We have to hope joel and his crew can find good talent but having been burned once i think that over cautiousness will keep it from getting any. I'm sure the target audience will be fine with it's mediocrity.

Yeah, Bridget is married to Mike, so she was never gonna come back if he was never gonna come back.

Corbett and Murphy are part of RiffTrax with Mike, so the fact that they'll even do cameos as Bobo and Observer is a surprise.

Mary Jo is the only one from that era that's off doing her own thing, but even she shows up on RiffTrax now and then and seems in Mike's camp.

Beaulieu and that shitter who played proto-Frank with the screechy voice, who gives a shit (though I did like TV's Frank proper).

epic :^)

>Beaulieu

he's the surliest of them all, initially leaving because he didn't want to be a doing that shit for the rest of his life. Whoops! He's also really racy in his comedy so it's hard to have him on a show like that, you should check out his own riffs, i can;t think of any right off the top of my head.

>It was likened to Family Guy by 2 of the reviewers
Oh god.

>family guy

no joke, i have been enjoying the youtube family guy clips where they just take one a or b plot and edit it together for a 7 min video because that "show" barely works cohesively at all. No surprise, the "plot" peters out with no satifying conclusion.

>Well stewie it looks like for no raisin your nightmare monster was secretly me because stupid reason. THE END.

I watched it. Everyone playing a human except for the Joel/Mike replacement was terrible. The quips didn't quite flow as well and it definitely didn't match up to an old top tier episode. Decent enough I suppose, but it was mostly chuckles compared to the real laughter the old show would bring out.

This will be lame because there isn't gonna be a joke like

>oh look it's Mimi Rodgers!

it's gonna be all shit they know kids will get.

>He's also really racy in his comedy

It's funny; he was the most vulgar in the KTMA episodes and threw down a lot of racial slurs in the movies where they reviewed Japanese flicks.

But if you follow him online, he was a Bern-out and is super Liberal. Never would have guessed it based on the kind of humor he goes for.

I feel like my sister may be right to worry about this reboot, because the funniest writers from the original aren't involved. They're too busy with Rifftrax.

>he was a Bern-out

You mean like literally everyone in America who isn't mentally retarded?

christ on a bike don't start this shit

>They're too busy with Rifftrax.

And Rifftrax has been fuckin killin it for years now.

Not all of their episodes are winners, yeah, but a lot of that has to do with the volume they release. Plus there's more variety in material than MST3K ever had, ranging from utter shit to major Hollywood blockbusters (the, "we're only selling a podcast .mp4, not the movie" thing keeping them from having to pay licensing fees certainly helps).

If the MST3K revival had the RiffTrax writers then it might have been amazing. But the bad blood between Mike and Best Brains pretty much meant that would never happen.

I thought Tracy wasn't showing up for this too? Something change?

>It's funny; he was the most vulgar in the KTMA episodes and threw down a lot of racial slurs in the movies where they reviewed Japanese flicks.

>Crow just sittin there watching a Gamera flick.
>Out of nowhere he just says, "Nips."

It's like watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade with your uncle and as soon as he sees a black guy on a float he growls "Niggers."

Those KTMA episodes are real fuckin awkward.

Last year was pretty meh save the MST3K reunion one. I think the last live riff I enjoyed from them was when they tackled the Miami Connection.

Still going to see them Thurs at my theater for them tackling Samurai Cop.

>that shitter who played proto-Frank with the screechy voice

Dr. Erhardt?

I doubt John Weinstein would say no to making a cameo. That guy has done absolutely NOTHING with his life since he was fired from MST3K after season 1. I bet he's dying for a paycheck.

>John Weinstein

>JOSH Weinstein

Oops.

Also, I think most people are glad he left. His voice was annoying and his absence made room for Murphy to take over as Servo.

Does that mean Alf is Sup Forums?

>est Brains fucked him over on royalties or something.
I know Joel cut a deal with him so that he could sell his episodes through Rifftrax

Do you have links to any of those?

Post one please.

Reminder that Joel is a fucking asshole who couldnt leave well enough alone and that Mike basically was the show even before taking over as host.

Went to a Comic Con recently, actually saw a faggot dressed as the new guy. I mean really, are you fucking kidding me?

Why does Patton Oswalt looks like he wants to die on every promopic now?

I mean when your wife ODs on a drug cocktail...

>Like, take a stand. Don't watch it. But you will, so that you can complain about it on the internet, which is all your life has become, complaining about things on the internet.

I resent that.

I'm going to complain about it on the internet -without- watching it first.

Because he's 48 and his wife is dead

That was in lieu of residuals for his MST3K episodes, which is a pittance compared to what he should be getting.

Yeah, but Patton's the one who fed her the drugs she ODed on and enabled her addiction.

He plays up the sad widower image for pity dollars, but the guy really couldn't give a shit. He willingly assisted her suicide.

Mike>Joel

I've seen the episode, it's not bad. Felicia Day is barely in it at all. Shows up for the invention exchange and then two really brief scenes between watching the movie.

>invention exchange

hurr durr lets drag out joel's shitty 40 year old stand up act that will attract the kids

Insult to injury, Wil Weaton makes a cameo appearance in the first episode

Doesn't Shout Factory own MST3K from Best Brains now?

>Patton Oswalt
Hope there are no sick women on set.