Can we finally admit the prequels were kinda cool?

Yes I was born in 1991 so I was 8 when TPM came out and yes I thought it was the raddest thing in the world at the time. Yes I've rewatched the prequels every few years since then and you know what? Fuck the haters, they're not TERRIBLE. They're not fantastic pieces of cinema, but as far as expanded Star Wars content goes, they're pretty alright, y'know?

Yes there's plenty of elements that are bad, like midichlorians and Jar Jar, but fuck man, look at how many cool new places and races we got to see! Look at how they expanded the universe beyond anything we ever saw in the original trilogy.

We're never going to see anything anywhere near as cool as a Blade Runner-style cyberpunk chase sequence through 3D traffic with two buddy-cop Jedi as our protagonists, EVER again in new Star Wars films. Everyone ate up the "dude sequels SUCK lmao" meme 1000% unironically, to the point where dorks I talk to even younger than me just smirk and roll their eyes at mention of the prequels, yet voraciously eat up this new "Star Wars" garbage Disney keeps shitting out

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AhRK2Stb2Qg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They're the most embarrassing thing I own on Blu-ray

The plot of the prequels is pretty amazing. The writing and execution is terrible.

They are terrible movies.

Just because the Nu-Wars is even worse, that doesn't suddendly make those shitshows good.

This. Top notch ideas. And they're done enough that I can appreciate what the goal was. There are even stand out moments where things are legitimately good. Never mind the whole ring structure they form with the OT.

I'd rather watch movies where someone swings for the fences and misses than well executed safe movies

yo tell me what was terrible in the execution of that cyberpunk chase sequence tho

Mace Windu’s death is one of my favorite Star Wars scenes ever

the prequels are like the disjointed ramblings of a child's internal fantasies, Lucas goes from cool thingy to cool thingy without linking them well. The overall plot is good but there's a severe lack of cohesion and an incredible tone deafness at times. I'd say either Lucas was autistic or...

he was doing it on purpose to troll fanboys. Look at Jar Jar. His name. Jar Jar...Jarring. That's what his character is, that's what it does. Whenever there is a tense moment Jar Jar comes in to deflate it, to remind fanboys that they're watching a fucking movie for children. Even in the 'bad ass' duel of the fates, there is a Jar Jar subplot to diffuse all tension and insult the intelligence of fanboys. In Episode II, he drops Jar Jar and uses horrible romance scenes that are almost parodies of themselves. In ROTS he uses a variety of gags and slapstick including R2's goofy antics during a fight that ends in a brutal decapitation.

I think that Lucas was doing it on purpose.

I'm a whole decade older than you and was a full functioning adult with taste when I saw those movies.

they were shit.

sorry.

fuck off virgin

that's pretty funny cause I think I lost my virginity around that time. don't worry, there's still time for you lol.

>they're not TERRIBLE
They're absolutely terrible.

>didnt lose his virginity until he was 18

holy shit lol

I think Phantom Menace really nailed the aesthetic. It looked like Star Wars, but it also looked alien at the same time. The droid enemies succeeded at being the new not-stormtroopers. It should be given that.

As a child, I'd fast forward to the podrace, then fast forward to the final lightsaber battle.

The originals I'd watch all the way through. That probably shows something.

watch some footage of II or III printed to 35mm. it starts to look like classic star wars again.

youtube.com/watch?v=AhRK2Stb2Qg

>lost virginity
>still watched star wars
Doubt.

I came within 30 seconds too. thuglyfe.

to be honest I think we were all just really spoiled in 1999 or whenever episode one came out. i would absolutely love it if a movie of that caliber was considered 'bad' by 2017 standards. the prequels would be like manna from heaven if they came right now in this desert of capeshit and remakes and 'cinematic universes'.

For ROTS I'd watch almost every scene except for the ones where Anakin is being a faggot. For Episode 6 I'd skip every scene involving Endor, and since that was the majority of the movie I guess that means that ROTS is better. I didn't even bother buying the NU-Star Wars movies.

>owning bluray
Embarrassing.

I actually agree with you. In this day and age, the prequels are actually a breath of fresh air.

>not owning the highest bitrate available
t. YIFY poster

>Darth Vader built C-3P0
>Boba Fett's dad was the template for the clone army
>Chewbacca knew Yoda, and helped him escape into exile

there's some genuine kino here and there in all of them, but I wouldn't call them good.

Better than TLJ from the sound of it though kek

This.

KEK I pirate but come the fuck on, unless you're an extreme poorfag, your job can provide you with SOME cash to spend on your hobby. This is Sup Forums, not /poorfag/ or /too underage to have a job, which everyone else has/.

>/too underage to have a job, which everyone else has/
>he says this while arguing about children's movies
lmao

C-3p0 bit was forced a bit for toy selling but it’s not too bad. It’s not too far-stretched that a custom made robot continue to be a dedicated servant for the skywalker lineage. The thing was created, customized, and upgrade over time personally from the ground up, not just some mass produced shit.

Nothing is wrong with boba fett part neither.

Chewbaca thing is a bit weird though

At least they aren't the disney movies.

>custom made robot

wut

>The thing was created, customized, and upgrade over time personally from the ground up, not just some mass produced shit.
But C-3PO looks and performs the same as any other protocol droid.

Darth Maul was a great new enemy but he shouldn't have been killed off at the end of ep1. The fights looked awesome at the time even if the choreography was nothing like the OT. I think ep2 and 3 still had their moments and as a whole I really like the PT. It expanded the whole Star Wars universe in a way that no comics or video games could. The Clone Wars tv show also added a fair bit of quality into the franchise. Sure it had some absolute shit episodes and arcs but overall it was fucking amazing. Rebels in comparison is terrible.

I’m sorry you feel that way. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You enjoyed the prequels, a majority of other did not. Be proud of the flaws those movies had, it only proves that collaboration is what makes a SW movie good, when GL is left to his own devices he puts in a lot of exposition and labors the movie forward rather than being a zippy action packed spectacle that the OT were.

Yea but imagine if your father pass a car that he cares, upgrade, and customize throughout his life to you. It would be special and different from a brand new car of current year that drives out of a dealer. The robot was kept in good, functional shape and maybe even have some minor extra features that standard mass produced models don’t have. Maybe it has more language or something

The Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels and I will never change my mind regarding the matter.

For less than a couple hundred a year you can own every good movie that comes out in the highest possible quality.

Yeah. And with the improvements in CGI he would have the ability to improve on the quality. I think he just lost his will to produce star wars after he got shat on. All while a post avatar world is the perfect space for starwars on the big screen.

Dear George,
When I was a younger and more foolish man I talked shit about jar jar. I take it all back now. If jar jar came flying in on a naboo star fighter and kill Rey in lightsaber combat in episode 9 I will cry tears of joy.

I am a broken man, george. Now for the rest of my life, when I see something as simple as a broom, anger and sadness will fill my soul...

I will now watch the holiday special just to try and remember the good times.

>who cares about the terrible plot and the shitty dialogue and the flat characters, bro. we got to see new planets and creatures! isn't that what matters most in a movie?

>Disney shills try to defend their franchise

Prequelfags are worse than sequelcucks. One things that both things aren't soulless cash grabs.

>anti Disney shills pretending George is a good filmmaker

I think EP2 is okay and EP3 is pretty good.