Anyone finding it hilarious how bad DC is in trying to include black superheroes in the bat family

Anyone finding it hilarious how bad DC is in trying to include black superheroes in the bat family.

First there was Blackwing that hung around with huntress and robin from Earth Two back in the 80s.

Then years later we had Orpheus with a snazzy helmet and a cringeworthy origin story.

Then we had blackwing being re-utilized as batwing by Morrison.

Then that batwing retired and we got a totally "cool" Luke Fox as batwing. Whose costume looked suspiciously similar to Arkham Knight and black panther.

After trying and repeatedly failing to make him work we have Duke Thomas. Another black dude with a snazzy helmet. Thoughts? Do we need another Mcduffie to fix this.

Is it really hard to write a black character? Tip: Write a regular white character an then color him black.

Most blacks, especially the nerdy kind hate the stereotypes the media likes to associate with us.

Just get a future Batman and have him be black.

The very issue that image is from predates Arkham Knight by two years.

I thought the first Batwing was pretty cool, and he managed to get 21 issues and some pretty solid character development.

Duke works but not without his friends. He's kinda boring without them. They should have rebranded them as Duke and the Outsiders.

And it predates the movie Black Panther which is the only one that looks like that.

OP is a retard.

Or duke should have been robin like intended. Or just written out as one of the random supporting characters batman has. Not every one of them have to be freakin superheroes.

Morrison had the right idea, actual diversity. Africa is interesting and a mess, I hatedm American niggers in the media they are always the same character.

They often can't even write established characters well. Writing a good, new character of any kind is next to impossible.

They don't write white characters good either, it's just they have history so people give them way more chances

Because they're all the same IRL too.

>Is it really hard to write a black character? Tip: Write a regular white character an then color him black.
That's the problem

The Kingdom could have been interesting but they're too far away from Gotham to really piggyback on Batman stories and regularly hang out with him to gain more exposure. New characters can't last long in their own titles either. DC should probably go with more team comics that feature a mix of old/popular and new characters and build them up from there.

As long as they are not race bending, replacing originals and kamala tier cringe

I'm fine with it

Push for cooler original characters

Batman = $$$
Diversity = Great Publicity

Combine the two for maximum efficiency!

See: Morales, Miles. Who doesn't sell as well as others but sells a whole lot better than he would if it said anything but "Spider-Man" in the title.

How the fuck is Lark cooler? its the most retarded name in history.

Bat family is way too fucking bloated.

We have Golden age batwoman, lesbian batwoman, cassandra, steph, babsgirl, nightwing, whoever the fuck Tim is now, Red Hood, Damian Wayne, Harper fucking Row, that black oracle guy, batwing apparently, azrael eventually, gotham girl someday and Duke Thomas all as canon members of the bat family.

It's fucking ridiculous.

Harper isn't a bat anymore because literally nobody liked her but Scott Snyder, not even other writers.

Iirc she works at a homeless shelter run by Jean Paul now.

Also Morrison and canon have a shaky relationship with each other. I would not include Kathy Kane on the list.

Tim is "dead" atm, I think he's already been revealed not REALLY dead but for all intents and purposes he is. Everyone thinks he's dead and he doesn't have a book.

>that black oracle guy

I have no idea what you're talking about, unless you mean how Bruce keeps telling Duke to stay in the cave and you're too dumb to realize it's the same character.

Part of the problem is no company is willing to put in the work that it takes to get a character to be a long standing one. With comics being a dying medium you need tv and movie support more than ever to get the legacy. This doesn't just apply to blacks but 75% of DC's stock.

Their black characters in general are fucked because all the interesting ones have right issues or fanboys. Get past those issues and you still got the writers who want to write hip instead of how someone actually talks.

I liked David and his books were better than even some of the big name heroes at the time. His failure wasn't really due to the material itself, more just that no one cares about Africa.

Black heroes just are doomed to fail both because nobody cares about new things in comics, and because nobody cares about black people in comics, I suspect not even actual black people.

Noone fucking cares pol

Sage

I liked it too, it shined a spotlight on an area of the world we rarely see (unless it's Wakanda which is different). Really loved all the worldbuilding Winick was doing with the Kingdom superteam and all.

the new oracle is a black fanboy of the birds of prey rn. It's as stupid as it sounds.

It's like DC going "why would you want babs back as oracle when we have this black guy? do you hate black people?". It's scummy as hell and I would assume something marvel would come up with.

You're forgetting Onyx.

u forgot snyder's worst character talon senpai.

I liked Talon

>Then that batwing retired and we got a totally "cool" Luke Fox as batwing. Whose costume looked suspiciously similar to Arkham Knight and black panther.
To be fair, that's a a really cool costume. It just looks way too similar to Black Panther.

This, only anyone's experiences are going to be a little different when they're black. I see what you mean, though. Just write a black character with their own internal struggles, their own unique personality, their own character arcs, tics, etc.

I don't mind Luke Fox as a concept. He just happens to be written by sub-par writers like Tynion right now.

And at some point Duke is going to take up the Batman mantle so get your precious nerd-rage ready for that development.

The problem with black characters and Batman (and largely with DC itself) is that historically there weren't that many black people in Golden Age/Silver Age Batman. There isn't a historically established character to build on.

Luke Fox now just looks like Batman in Iron Man armor. You'd figure this would make regular Batman more or less obsolete in the whole crime fighting thing.

>make new characters all the time
>some of them are black
>over the span of decades
>GUYS THEY'RE TOTALLY FORCING THIS ON US

No. You have to be a good writer to do that well. Same with female characters. You get hack writers who focus too much on a certain trait and don't make a good character in the process.

They tried the same thing with Superman too, back before Batman became their flagship. The more popular a character is, the more spinoffs the character gets.

But everyone liked John Henry Irons.

Never was a fan of his costume though.

It's one of the best costumes from the 90s. Not saying much. But his 52 look was the best. The weekly comic series.

I think that's the biggest problem with diversity characters, even when they aren't legacy characters like Black Captain America, etc
If they're black and it doesn't effect their character or matter, why even make them black in the first place?
If they're TOO black and it feels really shoehorned, it could be a bad story and no one wants that either.
Renee Montoya being the Question is still a very good way of making a "diversity character" good, strong central character arc that plays off their identity, their identity isn't the ONLY thing about her

>hen that batwing retired and we got a totally "cool" Luke Fox as batwing. Whose costume looked suspiciously similar to Arkham Knight and black panther.
What bothered me about this is while she was sort of a second string character they already had an in with the Batfamily via Tamara Fox.
I found her pawing over Tim a little pathetic, but it looked like it was maybe going somewhere with her calling him out on his indifference towards her assistance.

Had they just developed her more she could have been her own notOracle or something similar to Tim's Red Robin gig.
Instead they just popped out another Fox kid to do the notBatman thing Azrael and so many others try before giving it up or falling into obscurity.

I can tell you as a nerdy black guy this is absolutely pointless. There is no purpose to even making them black if nothing about them is relatably black. Yes stereotypes are shit, but they didn't form from nothing. People are different, and that is what makes stories about different people interesting. If nothing about them relates back to who they are/how they're expected to be, you might as well just color them green for all it matters.

Just write the subject material well and with respect, but I guess that's asking too much of shitty writers.

>This is really what white people believe
It's like I'm in those /tg/ threads about how to play female characters

But Talon was good. They just didn't do anything with him.

Is it true that if you're a minority who got into Marvel or DC then they're only gonna put you on minority characters?

Strange this is, no matter how boring these characters are, theyre still not as bad as Miles Morales

As a white person who writes extensively for a job, it's only difficult to write a black character if you have your own head MASSIVELY up your ass, and unfortunately most professional comics writers do it seems.

The even harder part is getting a new black character to sell or gain popularity, which means they're around for awhile and then get ignored until someone tries the same thing in a few years.

That's true for Marvel, but not DC.

Christopher Priest, a black writer, left Marvel because, according to him, they wouldn't let him write any book with a non-Black main character.

He's currently writing Deathstroke (who's a white character) for DC.

Just stop being niggers and we won't have to deal with cringe-inducing black characters in comics.

Fuck off with that Uncle Tom shit. Newsflash: We're just as human as the white folks. We deserve to have the same range of personalities as them. A character can be black just to be black. The only reason I'm black is because my parents are.

I didn't grow up in the hood, I don't like rap, my aspiration in life isn't to be an athlete. All the retarded stereotypes associated with blacks don't apply to me and my family.

No we don't need to be constantly shoehorned into stereotypes because it makes white folks and uncle toms like you fee comfortable.

That is not at what I meant to imply, and if anything you're coming off as more Uncle Tom than me by pretending like race is just a coat of paint. Whether you like it or not those stereotypes apply to you because you live in a world where those stereotypes exist. You have to deal with ignorant people expecting them of you, people living up to them and making your hopes to be just like everyone else of your neighborhood/income bracket/social standing/etc that much harder, people like me pointing out they exist, etc. The very fact you can call me an Uncle Tom for disagreeing with you, that Uncle Tom is even a term in our culture, means these stereotypes are deeply ingrained. People are different, and people have biases, it's the foundation of how we think. Race is complicated and pretending like it has no impact on you because you don't fit whatever cartoon caricature of it is currently being promoted is being willfully ignorant of how complex this shit is. If you're going to ignore all that and still pretend like it's vaguely the same reality then it's just insincere storytelling.

You can still write a person with whatever damn personality you like; personalities don't have races. But if they're on earth, this shit will still be a part of their lives.