50s and 60s Movie Recommendations

I just watched 12 Angry Men and Rear Window the other night. They were pretty good. I'm looking for something else from that era in show biz.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6ZpaWOLjWx0
youtube.com/watch?v=RfPjC2Fbd3w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a few I enjoy from that era…

>Strangers on a Train
>Breakfast at Tiffany's
>Charade
>To Catch A Thief
>Dr. Strangelove
>2001
>Planet of the Apes

Try some Billy Wilder:
-The Apartment
-Sunset Boulevard
-Ace in a hole
-Witness for the prosecution.

Other old Hollywood classics I love:
-Roman Holiday
-On the waterfront
-Touch of Evil
-A streetcar named desire

Charade
Wait Until Dark
The Pink Panther movies are nice
Cool Hand Luke
Butterfield 8
Strangers on a Train

Wait until dark is pretty good. Audrey Hepburn is so Charming (as alsways).

Stalag 17 is an extremely entertaining POW movie that gets overshadowed by The Great Escape and Bridge on the River Kwai

wages of fear (1953) is REALLY good

Some Like It Hot is a must watch.

Thank you anons!

>A streetcar named desire
this. amazing film. Also:

Journey to Italy
Summer with Monika
The Night of the Hunter
Bicycle Thieves
The Third Man
Belle De Jour
Rosemary's Baby
Faces
Tokyo Story

night of the hunter is pure kino

manigga

Gun Crazy (1950). Is little well known but it holds incredible. Scorsese is a fan of this film.

The Hustler

all the classic ones are pretty safe bets, tokyo story is pretty good

Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf

Thanks again boys!

8 1/2
Midnight Cowboy
Five Easy Pieces

I disagree. I think a lot of acclaimed classics don't really hold up that well. They're interesting to watch for historical reasons, but in terms of enjoyment they aren't 10/10 masterpieces anymore. I thought this of; Seventh Seal, Hour of the Wolf, 8 1/2, Casablanca & Citizen Kane. I liked them, but they weren't amazing. They don't deserve to be lauded as 'best ever'.
I love Ozu though, Tokyo Story has aged very well. Same for 12 angry men, and many others. It's not all classics, but some.
In general I think the 70s are the golden age for film.
The Godfather, One Flew over the cuckoos nest, Chinatown, Badlands, Those are actual masterpieces. They are better than Casablanca & Citizen Kane.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

>Midnight Cowboy
THIS

Wrong.

Casablanca and Citizen Kane have aged perfectly. They are still masterpieces of great cinema. Casablanca is still probably the most quotable film of all time. I do think the 70's is the best era of Hollywood cine, with the 50's being the close second.

I agree 8 1/2 is overrated (nice tiddies tho) but citizen kane still looks amazing to this day

You think Casablanca is a better film than The Godfather?
Another way to ask that; which film did you enjoy watching more?

Casablanca holds up very well, and while Kane isn't quite my cup of tea I see why it is so lauded. If you want to see a good movie that aged, see The Maltese Falcon. Also, those were both from the early 40's, not the 50's.

Rashomon

I'd have to say I liked them both roughly equally. I was just joking when I told you that your opinion was wrong, though.

It does look amazing, and it's by all means very very good. I'm not saying it's anything less than a 8 or a 9/10. I just think as a film it falls slightly short. Film making has progressed in a few significant ways. I think the main way is how naturalistic performances are. Really good 'modern'- late 60s onward, performances are less like reading lines and more immersive. The way films are blocked (where actors stand and move) is more cinematic and less theatrical. Performances in general are less theatrical, and have adapted to the new medium. Advancing sound technology has made films better. The soundscape of films, dialogue recording is better, sound design is richer.

I would rather watch a really good old film, over the vast majority of modern cinema. I just think comparing the very best, we have made improvements.

The old films that hold up the best imo, are the most simple ones (through a glass darkly, late spring), and the ones that don't are genre films (hour of the wolf, nosferatu)

There is though, something to be said about the aesthetics of a time, and the historical intrigue. They shouldn't be ignored, but I think we should dismantle some of the mythos and get real about the GOATS

>(through a glass darkly, late spring)
through a glass darkly is verging on being modern anyway, so i'll add Streetcar Named Desire as an example of a film that holds up very well from being a simple film. It looks great. It is imo THE best ever performance on screen, from Brando. The Soundtrack is another GOAT. The direction and the other performances though, just do not gel as well as a modern film can. The Audio lets it down as well, just not on the same level as a modern film. The whole thing is just kind of inevitably wooden and theatrical.

Actual film discussion with good recs. Thank you anons.

You're right, but I don't think Casablanca really falls into that trap; sure they characters are more static on screen, but it never took away from the movie so it doesn't feel so dated. Kane has a few scenes that feel dated (the quick cuts of Kane and his first wife at the table to show the passage of time, for one). And I haven't seen enough films from the era to confirm, but Maltese Falcon definitely fits the "genre film that aged" category.

And just to give an example of a scene that is a product of its time but doesn't feel dated is the Moloch scene in Metropolis.

youtube.com/watch?v=6ZpaWOLjWx0

Do you think he hit this?

No doubt. Bergman had the best waifus

youtube.com/watch?v=RfPjC2Fbd3w

I'll give Maltese Falcon a watch. I thought Sierra Madre was pretty great when i watched it years ago (other John Huston).

Metropolis is an amazing film too. When I saw it, it felt like Dejavu because of just how much it's influenced. It's almost like it's retroactively derivative. Like 'hey, this is ripping off willy wonka!', or Brazil, or Blade Runner, or The Matrix.

I was curious about watching the thin man movies are they any good ?

Don't watch cool hand luke, its like being in prison

I liked Double Indemnity a lot.

I teared up when the warden shot that turtle
RIP snappy

Breathless

Noir with Femme Fatale are so great
Dangerous Sexy women best women

>youtube.com/watch?v=RfPjC2Fbd3w
is it wrong to masturbate to this

>I don't care if it rains or freezes
>long as I got my plastic jesus

>Try some Billy Wilder
Yes

>-A streetcar named desire
No. If you thought Vivien Leigh was annoying in Gone With the Wind, watch this and her performance there will seem tolerable by comparison.

I was expecting this to be boring, but surprisingly it was not.

>Film making has progressed in a few significant ways
Watch "It Happened One Night". It feels surprisingly modern. Only the sound quality gives it away that it's from the 30s. If somebody rerecorded it then it could pass for something from the 50s or 60s.

I'm on an older movie kick too. About to watch Rear Window. I'm up for anything that isn't romance

>streetcar named desire
Was it rape?

so many movies I would recommend. if you want American, stick with Wilder (definitive order is Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity, Some Like it Hot, etc) but watch One, Two, Three for a real hoot. If you want foreign, go for Ozu, Tarkovsky, or Bergman. It's a good introduction. Would also recommend some Buñuel, Polanski and Melville. Kubrick is also an okay starting point but I;m sure you've seen it

>Wait Until Dark

I don't get why people don't talk about this movie more. It's a really good thriller and blind Audrey is cute, cute!

They're pretty comfy with good banter. Some of the movies are better than others. I personally love how much hooch they drink in them while being entirely casual about it. Only one movie doesn't do that, and it's the only one made during the war, when they had to cut back on the drinking out of fear of backlash due to the general rationing going on, so instead Nick just drinks juice.

mah niggas. Wait until Dark is such a good movie. It was the first thriller I ever saw

haven't seen this but I will check it out at your recommendation!

OP my rec is another Hitchcock. Do yourself a favor and watch Notorious, which is my favorite by him

Spartacus