Solicits for Edge of Venomverse July Issues

EDGE OF VENOMVERSE #2 (of 5)
CHRISTOPHER HASTINGS (w) • IRENE STRYCHALSKI (a)
Cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
Variant Cover by RON LIM
A PINK NIGHTMARE!
The wall-breaking wunderkind we call Gwenpool gets ahold of the VENOM SYMBIOTE and turns into a sword-slinging, web-swinging master of disaster!
But it won’t all be fun and games when Gwenpool comes across something huge… something that will directly lead to the Venom storyline of 2017!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

EDGE OF VENOMVERSE #3 (of 5)
SIMON SPURRIER (w) • TIGH WALKER (a)
Cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
Variant Cover by RON LIM
THE SYMBIOTIC SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE!
Robbie Reyes was just an average, ordinary super hero with a flaming skull…
…right up until he found himself bonded with a dangerous extraterrestrial symbiote!
Don’t miss the first daring drive of the HOST RIDER!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Sauce: comicbook.com/2017/04/11/edge-of-venomverse-ghost-rider-gwenpool/

These sound like some cool one shots. Anyone have the solicits for previous issues?

>Robbie Reyes
>Spirit of Vengeance
Come on, Spurrier! I know it's an AU, but that's not an excuse.

Is it happening?
Leave it to Hastings to think of that pun.

>IRENE STRYCHALSKI (a)
Even AU Gwen gets that low tier amateur art

Correction, Spurrier.

>Hastings Gwenpool
Dammit, now I'm going to have to buy this whole series for one issue so I don't look like a waifufag.

oh, wait, I mistook her for the one who did the Blade story
Strychalski is... I won't say good, but acceptable

>Hastings is writing the Gwenpool issue
Oh thank God

>Spurrier is writing the Robbie issue
Huh. Is this the first book Spurrier has done for Marvel since his X-force ended?

she can draw better than Gurihiru. But her faces are weird

>gwenpool in an event
>spawn rider
aha

Why not releasing it as Edge of Venomverse: Gwenpool #1, Ghost Rider #1? It's like marvel suddenly changed its policy

everyone already knows

Fuck yes, the return of Venom Rider.

So what do you think the other two Edge of Venom verse one shots are gonna be about before the main event starts?

I hope we get a Poison one and an Agent Venom one

Because then people would just pick and choose based off of the character. This way, they can get people to buy all 5 issues to complete the set.

WE'LL SEE HOW THAT WORKS!
I smell an edge of failure

They're all pulling from the Venomized Variants, so it'll probably be whatever the two most popular ones of those were outside of X-23/Gwenpool/Robbie.

Because no one but the obese Gwenpool fans would buy it.

shots are fired

they can't penetrate our girth

Because of the thickness of your skulls, or because of aforementioned obesity?

Wait, is Venom the main book and Edge of Venomverse one-shots?

Still not as awesome as Ross.

WE SMASH FOR VENGEANCE!!!

They did the exact same thing with Edge of Spider-verse. It wasn't Spider-Gwen #1, it was Edge of Spider-verse #2

Hmm... thanks for explanation. That makes sense

Amadeus Cho and Moon Knight

Edge of Venomverse is a mini collecting 5 one-shots that'll lead into the Venomverse event. They did the same thing with Edge of Spider-verse -> Spider-verse.

Yes, Venom is the main book, but this is a lead up to the edge of venom verse that will supposedly happen in the main book.

The way that it worked for Edge of SPider-verse was that there were 5 one shots, one about Spider-Man Noir, Spider-Gwen, Aaron Aikman, Patton Parnel, and SP//DR. Then the main event happened in ASM while there were more one shots and minis surrounding it, like tales from the Spider-verse and whatnot

wait a minute, it's going to be this, venom series, and another mini? for fuck sake they really want to milk that edd

We don't know if there is gonna be another mini, that's purely just my own speculation on what happened with Spider-verse. For now all we know is about this 5 issue mini and the main event in the Venom book.

well, what you say makes sense. I guess that it'll depend on the success. was spider-verse selling good?

>was spider-verse selling good?
Yes. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing this in the first place.

I was just hoping because Poison was on the announcement poster, and like Spider-Man Noir, was an already established character from the multiverse.

Though I'd like to see She-Venom too.

but if we're purely going off the variant covers, Venompool probably has a good chance to be in one issue, but I wonder who else they're gonna do. I'd love to see the Captain Marvel or Man-Thing Venom

I think it'll be Captain Marvel and Kingpin.

Yeah, from what I can recall, Spider-verse sold extremely well. People love multiverse shenanigans. Me included. And I love symbiotes, so I'm absolutely gonna be picking these up.

I thought that it was nightcrawler at first
Then phoenix. Then I've read the filename

Jean Grey is also getting some Venom variants though

>People love multiverse shenanigans

You're damn right. Bring back Exiles!

This already sounds better than Edge of Spider-Verse.

>Everyone is Venom
Call it a hunch, but I have this feeling that marvel is overdoing it

They're X-Men-related, so probably nope.
But Axiles....

isn't fire lethal to symbiotes?

I mean, if it's the same concept but without the stupid inheritors, I'm down for it. I'd still argue that Spider-verse was a great concept, but it was ruined by Slott's writing and turning an intimidating villain like Morlun and turning him into a whiny family of vampires.

>Event
>Focuses on a single character and alternate realities
I bet you thought Clone Conspiracy and Superman Reborn and Monster Men were events too.

You think?

Just a reminder that in Minimum Carnage we found out symbiotes can completely unravel the fabric of the multiverse. I wonder if the big bad from this will be a symbiote doing just that.

>isn't fire lethal to symbiotes?
Well, yes, but for Ghost Rider I know it works different since hellfire isn't the same as normal fire.
Don't know about Phoenix fire though. Is it just pyrokinesis or is it special cosmic fire?

Hm.... Isn't Batman in DC?
That marvel! They venomize everything, even competition.

Not really.

For one, all of these stories are of existing heroes bonding with the regular old Venom instead of (mostly) original characters possessed by multiversal reimaginings of the symbiote.

I feel like, save for maybe Gwenpool, that's going to lead to each story following roughly the same beat of each hero reenacting Spider-man's black suit storyline.

It's "we don't need no water, let the motherfucker burn"-tier fire

>dangerous extraterrestrial symbiote
I thought the Klyntar were a peaceful loving race that never did nuffing?

It's psionic fire, not literal fire. Basically mental energy that just looks like fire, like how Psylocke's psionic knife doesn't actually cut stuff like a regular knife, it's just a physical manifestation of her psychic powers.

Yeah, shouldn't they all have that spider symbol on them too?

We better get Venom Carol then.

My bet is that it has something to do with this dropped plot point of Costa's in Web Warriors, since he''s writing Venom too.

>Not having teeth sprout out the open part of Gwen's mask.

Missed opportunity

she's for waifufags, we don't want them disgusted

Well, the actual Gwenpool variant looked like this

I could see that happening, man this comic could have been so much better if they didn't focus so much on Gwen and Ham and had better art work

I like how Gewn looks like Cletus here.

I hope they retcon Bendis's shit.

this

Literally the Pink Psycho Ranger!

Absolutely. I didn't hate Web warriors, but it was painfully mediocre, and they wasted so much time with Gwen and Ham. Gwen has her own book for god sakes. And then they put so much focus on the Electros. Like, more than half the series was about them. Give me more multiverse fun.

>ordinary super hero with a flaming skull
What about the Symbiote's weakness to fire? Or does hellfire not count?

I liked the electros, I felt that Spider-Verse was lacking in alternate versions of Spider-rogues, but I agree that there didn't need to be so much focus on them, I honestly wanted to see more of Mayday and Noir.

I'm just glad we don't have to deal with Sasuke Uchiha anymore.

The weaknesses are probably different in alternate realities, also, Carnage lost most of his weaknesses after he was powered up by the old god, it's easily possible that the presence of the spirit of vengeance (if that's even what this version is) negates the vulnerability to fire.

see
hellfire doesn't work the same on symbiotes, and neither does the penance stare

>Though I'd like to see She-Venom too.
I want this too. She is on the poster (seen here: ). So fingers crossed!

I wish someone would draw a full body shot of She-Venom in the animated series style.

If only

>I'd still argue that Spider-verse was a great concept, but it was ruined by Slott's writing

And I would agree. The sales pitch was amazing. But Slott couldn't deliver the goods. Which is generally the case for any 'event' he writes.

The story was done better in the final two episodes of the 90s animated series.

I honestly liked Spider Island, but maybe that's just me. But yeah, I've been disappointed by every single other big event he's done.

Please drawfags?

Spider-Island wasn't much of an event, at least in the original plans

It's just that it was like ten times better than Fear Itself(it took me a few seconds to actually remember it)

Do solicits come out today?

Spider-Island was better than Spider-Verse because it was actually celebrating how awesome Spider-Man is (instead of Slott showing how much he hates Peter by systematically murdering him in almost every AU and having 616 Peter get showed up by Slott's own OCs at every conceivable opportunity).

Slott didn't really start to go downhill until Alpha. You can tell that Dying Wish was his last idea.

We should get full solicits next week I think

We'll probably get a few small previews throughout this week

Naw, Spider-Island was one of the last things Slott did that I enjoyed. That moment where Peter Parker calls for the new yorkers to help fight off the spider-posers was great

I talked to Slott recently at a con, and actually had a pretty good chat with him. Got him to sign all my issues of New Ways to Die, and thanked him for creating Anti-Venom, and also some stuff for Agent Venom.

It was cool learning that ends of the earth was originally supposed to star Black Cat and Agent Venom beside Spider-Man rather than Silver Sable and Black Widow.

I miss good Slott stories. What happened? Did he let the success of Superior go to his head?

"Dead" Felicia would have been a better fate than crime boss Felicia.

>would have had Agent Venom and Black Cat
>black cat would have drowned
>Sable would have been the one that Spock punches in the face and does a heel turn
>Cat would have just recently come back in ASM
Fuck this gay earth..

This. But the writing in Spider-Island was pretty bad (Slott writes everyone with pretty much the same voice, for example. I question if he even realizes that Peter and Kaine have different personalities). And fuck the Ramos artwork. Shit was hideous.

>It was cool learning that ends of the earth was originally supposed to star Black Cat and Agent Venom beside Spider-Man rather than Silver Sable and Black Widow.
We already knew that. Did he ever explain why he changed that? I get using Silver Sable, but why the fuck would he use Black Widow instead of an actual Spider-Man character?

>And fuck the Ramos artwork. Shit was hideous.
THANK YOU

It boggles my mind that people praise that man. Not to mention at the con I went to he was one of the only people charging for signatures. What an asshole.

Eh, I don't really mind Ramos as much as others do, yeah his art work usually sucks, but I loved his Spider-Jane. As for the writing, yeah Slott has always had that problem, but that very end bit, where Kaine has to dress up in the Spider-Man red and blue and pose as spidey and how much he hated it was pretty good.

How does this even work without affecting the symbiote?

>I miss good Slott stories. What happened? Did he let the success of Superior go to his head?

He cracked under the pressure of having to write a big book. Seriously, none of Slott's Spider-Man stories are especially great. His stuff during BND was probably his least offensive and even that was pretty meh. Guys like Zeb Wells, Joe Kelly and even Mark Waid were putting out way, way better Spidey stories at the time. Hell, even Marc Guggenheim had some gems (the Raptor story, for example, was a better Ben Reilly story than anything Slott ever did in Clone Conspiracy).

Slott hasn't put out an actually good book since he was doing The Initiative.

MCU synergy

Remember in that arc the Sinister SiX beat the movie Avengers

>It boggles my mind that people praise that man.
I'm right there beside you, user. I cannot even fathom why people like his work. He is one of the worst artists in the business right now.

>Not to mention at the con I went to he was one of the only people charging for signatures. What an asshole.
I mean, that's not uncommon at cons, but if the vast majority of artists at the con aren't, you shouldn't be either. It makes the artist who is charging look pretty fucking arrogant.

>but I loved his Spider-Jane.
I assume you're referring to when she got spider powers during Spider-Island? Common user, she looked hideous, just like the rest of the book.

Eh, it's all personal preference, would I want Ramos to be doing the artwork on my favorite books? Nope. would I be turned off from them if he was? Nope. I'm going to sit here and tell you other anons that you're wrong and you just don't understand, I'm going to respect your opinion while holding onto my own, even if they clash with the majority.

Nah, he explained that Felicia was busy in Daredevil at the time, and Agent Venom was busy in Circle of Four, and he didn't want to take them outta that.

Because a character can't be in 2 stories at once?

>>I miss good Slott stories. What happened? Did he let the success of Superior go to his head?
I suspect he's under bad Editors.

He has good ideas, but he's probably one of those writers who need an Editor to keep them straight

Nah, Slott went down hill way, way before Alpha.