What’d you think of Dunkirk, Sup Forums?

what’d you think of Dunkirk, Sup Forums?

honestly the thing i have to criticize the most here is the fact that you never really catch a sense of the actual scale of the invasion

sure they talk about 400k Soldiers trapped and that 300k+ got saved but it seemed like a few hundred.

Yes the whole movie is pretty partially and focuses on a few characters and certain events but still. I felt Nolan could have done a better job at conveying the "epicness" behind the whole evacuation.

*scale of evacuation

Very well shot and mostly well executed war film. Seeing a big budget war film following a British event gave me patriotic feels in the cinema. Any other Bongs feel the same?

It was good I think they should have cut out the story line of the kid getting killed in the boat by the soldier.

Dunkino

Strange movie. Seemed like 70% of it was either scenes of soldiers drowning or showing the soldiers acting like cowardly jerks. I mean, its unquestionable that there were many just like that, but it would have been nice to see some more heroism and less shitheadism.

i think what Nolan is trying to say here is that there is no actual heroism in a real war except in awful propaganda hollywood movies. War is ugly, disgusting and the only way to survive this shit is by being a fucking rat.

Trying to play a hero in a war you dont even know why you are fighting it (Dunkirk was 1940 so people didnt know much about the nazis killing all the jews meme) makes no sense.

Other than that it was fine cause it wasn't the typical war movie that gives you a full rundown of the situation and where were are at right now and how big deal generals and politicians are the protagnists and pull all the strings.

While I understand what you are getting at, heroism doesn't have to be scenes of Brits and Francs running around shooting Nazis in the face. The civilians themselves were the real heroes of this entire story, just risking their lives. I think this movie would have been infinitely better if they'd made the story more streamlined instead of three different perspectives and concentrated on the civilian aspect a bit more.

It's very, very noticeable in certain scenes how sanitized and bloodless the war violence is, to get it down to a PG-13 rating. My #1 complaint with the movie.

There's a moment where a soldier on the beach gets hit directly with a bomb and, rather than getting blown to bits, he goes flying into the air in one piece.

interesting feedback, I normally see overwhelming negative responses toward this movie from this board

what are some similar war films? do you guys think this is Nolan’s best work?

It was fantastic, the sound was fantastic, both the score and effects

Great at capturing the terror of war and just highlighting an interesting moment in time.

I like that it didn't focus on the big picture

I think not focusing on the big picture is kind of a crutch though, because they also didn't focus on the small picture either. You never really go to know any of the characters in any meaningful way other than "I want to go home". It was this quasi in the middle story telling that I don't think was as strong as either depicting the massive scale of the operation or really drilling into one or two of the characters.

>I like that it didn't focus on the big picture

yes same but then again it felt really lackluster almost as if they had lack of resources to show the scale when we know they didnt cause its Nolan so it was by design.

I think it would have added more to the suspension of the movie if we at least could have seen a glimpse at the "400k". It would have made the focus on the "smaller" picture more powerful

Who was your favourite character? Mine was the Mole.

That boy done kirked his head

Nolan should've used cgi to fill the background with more troops.

There are no characters in Dunkirk, besides masketta.

That french guy, Gibson, was pretty heroic. A shame that he died while Harry Style's character got away with being a coward.

Loved it. When it ended literally everyone in the cinema started chanting "England! England.! England!" Great movie.

No they didn't.

>making a movie about a """"""heroic"""""" retreat
OI OI LOIKE FISH N CHIPS SUN NEVA SETS

that's what my friend's dog is named.

But the movie had presented the pilot as a hero, old and young boat guy as heroes to a lesser degree, but still heroes (news paper article shown at the end even says hero).

It did happen and it was kino, dunkino.

It was ok. Nothing special.

I disagree, felt like a strong 50% to me. The pilot was heroic, as were his buddies, the generals on the bridge were heroic, the sneaky mute was (in an alternative way) heroic.

I like how the movie completely skipped the part about how the british army had basically all their artillery and tanks on the beach, with their entire airforce in the air over dunkirk, and the reason the germans didn't just crush them was because it'd be a bloodbath for both sides. Because fighting concentrated opposition is fucking impossible.

And instead of historical accuracy, they decided that dunkirk needed to be completely empty with no planes flying overhead

Subjective I suppose, but I just remember immediately walking out of the movie only remembering the seemingly endless scenes of people drowning and acting like cowards. I suppose there was so much nothingness happening during the plane scenes that I completely dismissed them.

scottish pilot
>they know where you were

>newspaper article

yeah they showed that his friend went to the newspaper right before the scene with the paper. He obviously told them some fake story about what happened to give meaning to a meaningless death.

there was only one black guy in the whole film which i think is pretty distateful. how come they didnt make it about the men of color who were there or at least highlight them with a scene out of respect?

not a movie id recommend

>ugh uggg uugggghhhhh
>mmmhh mmmmmhhhhh mmmmmm
Apology in advance, brainlet here. I don't speak frog. What did he mean by this?

Too loud. told theater manager to give me refund for my hurt ears