What's the point of movie critics when sites like IMDb and Letterboxd exist? Why do we listen to these people?

What's the point of movie critics when sites like IMDb and Letterboxd exist? Why do we listen to these people?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1b-bijO3uEw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

appeal to authority

unironically this

youtube.com/watch?v=1b-bijO3uEw

>inb4 fuck off to Sup Forums

Because the opinion of someone with advanced knowledge in the medium is worth more then that of some random retard.

>RT critic
>advanced knowledge
despite that, i don't think most people check reviews because they believe critics have more 'advanced' knowledge of the medium. they're either looking for reassurance to their own taste or are too lazy to judge for themselves and want someone to hold their hand and tell them what to think

MILKIES

>the vast majority of movie critics
>advanced knowledge in the medium

you havent read that many reviews lately, have you?

You'd think that, but then Inside Out becomes one of the best reviewed movies of all time (Get Out and Fury Road are "top 5") and it becomes absolutely fucking hilarious that anyone still shills like you do for these tasteless, herd-mentality, politically compromised, easily bought hacks

imdb is a place for people to post reviews and find information and letterboxd is a site/game where you jockey for social position and neets cum their pants over humans with two x chromosomes watching movies they like. lol.

she looks like she gives anal on first date and is on coke and h

while everyone can easily click a star or write a percentage, it still takes a few brain cells to articulate your thoughts into coherent sentences.

>a movie advocates different political stances from what my Internet echochamber says is correct therefore the movie is bad

neck yourself retard

Honestly not even sure which movie you're referencing, but regardless you're dumb as fuck and completely missed the entire point
You've got school in a few hours. Off you go

nobody said anything about rt
i never said the VAST majorities

you goal post moving fucks. There are some critics whos opinions I value more then some average movie goers. The point of critics is that if they are good they are able to form well informed opinions on a subject matter more eloquently. What'S so hard to understand about that?

>Letterboxd
A circlejerk no one reads except other letterboxd fags who want to be circlejerked too.

you implied critics have advanced knowledge than random folk and RT has reviews from such critics so it was a sensible deduction

>politcally compromised

you sound triggered. Let me guess. Mad Max is feminist propaganda and get out is white genocide. I bet the cultural marxists are behind this

SOME critics have advanced knowledge and some of those critics might even be on Rotten Tomatoes. The fact that RT is filled with shit critics doesn't mean all critics are invaluable and doesn't refute anything I have said-

id love to suck on them

>everyone who has an opinion that I disagree with is the disingenuous paid mouthpiece for a dangerous agenda

what's it like living in a tinfoil coated basement

how would a normal person go on about trying to find such critics with advanced knowledge in the medium? any recs?

Except all those movies are objectively good. Inside Out was sort of cliche but the other two are good movies. You're the perfect example of why IMDb is shit. Any retard that thinks something is bad because of their flawed personal, subjective reasoning gets the same influence as someone that actually knows what the fuck they're doing. A movie having women and black people in them doesn't make them bad, autistic faggot.

Watch more movies

>muh anti black people
>muh anti women
>muh shills
>muh hacks
>mug """"politically compromised""""
All you needed was to use the word soyboy or cuck and you could have completed the disenfranchised angry white boy who spends to much time on his hugboard Sup Forums bingo.

They build up fake hype on twitter etc.

That's it.

They give them a blue checkmark so that they are an "authority" on a subject, and then studios defer to them as if anything they say has merit.

Have a look at the media tantrum over the golden globes.

>but m-muh muh critics said Wonder Woman and Get Out were masterpieces...

The sad thing is that I know/knew some of these people personally. They have nothing to say on film that your average TV poster couldn't deliver.

They are bloggers who arrived at just the right time.

YouTuber reviewers are taking over, and most of them give even less of a shit about "film" and are just fans of corporate products.

Right, but the majority of film critics are random retards.

There's a reason they are bloggers and not film makers. The majority of them have no fucking clue what they're talking about, and the majority of their reviews are opinions or textual readings, and don't focus on the craft beyond "that looked/sounded nice".

Idk. The Av club? Roger Ebert?

It is true though - a large proportion of modern film "critics" (they're bloggers, critic implies something more worthy than what they do) are Soyboys.

LMAO holy fuck, try harder samefag
You're still completely missing the point, kiddo. I like 2 of those 3 films (Inside Out is actually lazy garbage, sry fags) the point was contemporary film criticsm literally putting them on all time Top 10 lists, you utter pleb
As for the political stuff, neither of those films were remotely offensive to me politically (talking about the 2 films I mentioned, not that shitty hacky cartoon) but you're one dumbass brainlet if you didn't pick up that that gave them a political boost. Damn, you really are just a kid, aren't you?

>AV Club
>Roger Ebert

...I'm not sure if this is b8 or you're just really fucking stupid.

It literally shows the amount of posters in the thread at the bottom right, junior

>listening to the opinions of average plebs
Yeah no thanks. Go look up the bad reviews of your favorite movie on IMDb, Amazon or even Redbox. People are fucking stupid and have shit taste in film. Letterboxd is slightly better because the site isn't that mainstream and the people that post there are at least a little knowledgeable

>the majority of their reviews are opinions or textual readings

How exactly do you do a textual reading of a film? Also every review is an opinion.

>you sound triggered

How many times do we need to go through this reddit?

what critics do you prefer?

>How exactly do you do a textual reading of a film?

That question is too moronic to answer.

>Also every review is an opinion

Sure. So when you do a test drive of a car, it's your opinion that determines how fast it accelerates from a standing position?

>b-but surely only o-one person could think I'm a total m-moron r-right
lol

>disenfranchised angry white
You don't know what that word means
Or you don't know which party controls every branch of government right now, a majority of governorships and nearly 2/3 of state legislators

At least you have Twitter. Lmao

This bitch always looks so trashy, I would love to have hot sloppy drunken sex with her.

Oh god just shut up, retard

The speed of a vehicle and a subjective interpretation of the quality of a film can't be measured in the same way at all. Unless you are talking about banal facts like the length of the movie etc., this comparison just doesn't work.

I don't read or watch critics, generally. I have read plenty of books by film critics, or stuff that's very niche and specific to my interests, like Chas Balun etc.

I don't read or watch film critics in regards to contemporary releases or to use them as a barometer.

If someone writes a retrospective of a director or similar stuff, I'm interested. But I've never read week to week film reviews.

If a movie is left and has diversity it will get much better reviews on RT though.

shut up tard

>That question is too moronic to answer.
So you can't answer it, great.

>Sure. So when you do a test drive of a car, it's your opinion that determines how fast it accelerates from a standing position?
Weak analogy. A review is more then just stating facts about something.

>subjective

Precisely. The majority of film reviews are subjective opinions by laymen on a complex craft.

Thanks for playing.

>you sound triggered

No, it's simply too stupid to answer. If you don't understand what "textual" means, there is no point trying to have an adult conversation with you.

>Weak analogy. A review is more then just stating facts about something.

No. It's 100% correct and specific. A review that is subjective opinions on a movie is worthless. Hence my entire original point.

>Educated opinions about subjective ideas are worthless

Can't even imagine the level of autism that comes up with this kind of logic lmfao

>No YOU!
thanks for the conversation, I guess

>Educated opinions

But they're not. The vast majoirty of film critics are not educated on the subject of film and have no expertise in the field.

Yes, their opinions ARE worthless - Firstly because they're opinions, secondly because they are coming from people with no knowledge of the product or understanding of the craft.

Lmao suck my balls, I don't care that there's more than one pea-brained preteen here who think it seems legit that 3 films made in the last 2 years are in the Top 10 of all time
Get fucked. Stay fucked

It wasn't a converstion. You're too dumb to keep up with a half drunk guy on an anime image trading forum. Use that realization to do something about your life.

>I d-don't even c-care
Interesting that you'd bring it up then :^)
Stay mad brainlet

she looks drugged.
perfect desu.

I'm just curious about what you think "textual readings" means. This is bound to be amusing

Sure thing, Sperg

Most film critics don't have a very deep understanding of film though. Look at RT and most of them are just random bloggers and many/most of the film critics at real newspapers are very biased. If a film agrees with them politically or has enough diversity it will get a better review. Take Kermode as an example. He knows lots about film, but his politics (he's openly a Marxist) plays into almost every review he does.

Honestly, something like imdb is less ideologically biased.

90% of people are plebs.

You are so hilariously autistic, it's just amazing
>every opinion which isn't just a banal series of provable facts is "worthless"

There's no arguing with someone this dumb lmafo

Meant to respond to

Lmaoo I brought up the films from the last two years that were on the Top 10 list RT just put out, you dunce
You assumed I had a problem with them politically. I didn't, I just have enough respect for the medium to know they don't belong there. But sure, it's probably not a coincidence that they're both overrated and progressive, I'll give you that. Inside Out is less excusable

she looks like she fucks black guys

>literally seething with anger
hahaha

I want Charli to give me an STD!!!

>This should be amusing

Sure. Hilarious.

>: a critical study of literature emphasizing a close reading and analysis of the text

>film text (text) the internal structure and organization of any one film; or simply a film wherever it is conceptualized as a system of meanings.

crying from laughter.

I didn't say that, but I do see you're almost getting to the point.

The opinion of people with no expertise in the field, with opinions that aren't backed by empirical facts are indeed worthless.

You may enjoy them. You may use them as a barometer, if you can find a particular critic who shares your views and tastes, but they are generally useless as anything other than what they are - random bloggers feelings about shit they just watched.

Technically she's a POC.

She's like 25% Indian.

100% Fuck Slut though.

Sounds like a keeper.

Idk if you're just retarded or something (seems like it), but yea, when the single biggest platform for movie criticism publishes shit like pic related on the front page of their website, people are going to be laughing their ass off at the state of film criticism, Sling Blade
(sorry if you're actually retarded or Down's)

>literature is the same as film
thanks for the chuckle retard

My first instinct was - They have higher scores because there are more reviews...however, if it's based off of averages, which it is, the fewer reviews, the higher they sould be placed, since there will be less criticism for certain classic movies (where will you find bad reviews of Citizen kane, for example).

But this means that Get Out, despite having far, far, far, far more reviews has less detractors than Psycho.

That's amazing

>Thanks for the chuckle retard

I'm not a film critic or anyone who reads and takes them seriously though? I'm literally stating that I dislike them for this very reason.

God, you're so confused.

haha look at this brainlet too afraid to point out how overrated half these mediocre old flicks are

face it, you're just as much a brainlet as the people you're making fun of, the only difference is that you're sucking the dick of old white men who tell you that bullshit like the wizard of oz and citizen kane are literally the best movies ever made

>still getting this mad over other peoples opinions

>Caring this much about other peoples opinions

But why?

no you are obviously

i want to sprinkle cocaine on her tits and ass then lick up the paste that forms when it mixes with her sweat and body oils

>I didn't say that

>Yes, their opinions ARE worthless - Firstly because they're opinions
>A review that is subjective opinions on a movie is worthless. Hence my entire original point.

Nice try buddy, no getting away from what has been written down

just stop wasting your time with this guy. He has proven time and time again that he is mentally deficient

I'm just outraged Dunkirk is on the list

Your greentext clearly illustrates that I did not say what you claimed I said, you illiterate hick.

She’s so fucking hot

There was only 1 critic out of 300 that gave Get Out a negative review who wasn't Armond White lmao

LOL go to bed kid. Don't you have midterms? Addy making you wired?

>Guy claims I said "x"

>Posts quotes that say "Y"

Yeah, I'm the mentally deificient one.

Okly Dokly friend, whatever helps you sleep at night. I'm going to take the advice of others and just ignore you, because you really clearly quite stupid. Or maybe you had too much to drink and you don't even realise how stupid you seem right now?

>lol go 2 bed kid haha xD

wow I love the wizard of oz now

Your inability to communicate at a high school level has no effect on my sleep quality.

>I'm gonna put fingers in my ears and make retard sounds because I can't handle constructive criticism

>le ad hominem

Going through life being stubborn in the face of facts and common sense is going to make things really difficult for you.

What's wrong with The Wizard Of Oz?

You seem like you're actually starting to piece together that this list is shit
Now re-read my posts and the thread title and get back to those flash cards, squirt

The latter then! Fair play. What are you drinking tonight friendo?

This guy reminds me of modern film bloggers (oh, I'm sorry, "critics").

He can't actually back up his statements with factual examples or refute arguments with logic. He simply runs on emotion and a shallow demonstration of feelings/opinions. No attempt is made to deconstruct an argument and explain why it is or isn't wrong - simply;

>these facts are different from how I feel and I'm upset therefore u r stoopid

This is reddit. This is Soyboys.

Damn, and here I thought I was done fapping for the evening.

A 5 dollar bottle of champagne that my roommate found on the balcony.

If you thought the whole list was shit you would have posted it as is rather than going out of your way to take the time to highlight specific recently made movies which in many ways are ten times better than the "classics" that are next to them

Overrated by (((critics))) because of its political commentary on the gold standard

She's such a hot, nasty slut. She just looks sloppy and dirty, but a total fuck machine.

I asked what was wrong with The Wizard Of Oz, not what was wrong with it's critical reception.

We're talking about MODERN film criticism you slavering retard. I'm assuming that I'm speaking to two different individuals - one: a child, the other: mentally deficient - but please try to keep up with the kid at least

It's fine, user. A fun movie. Is it literally the best movie of all time ever made? No it is not.