How did this honestly get past pre-production?

How did this honestly get past pre-production?

someone was someone's son

I liked it.

Both Earthsea and Howls Moving Castle show that Ghibli should stay away from adapting Western "high" Fantasy. Both were terrible adaptions and absolute messes when it came to the movie itself.

Marnie Was There and Borrowers were decent enough, but they're low fantasy stories so far easier to adapt.

>For those that don't know, High Fantasy refers to Dragons, Wizards, Elves etc where Low Fantasy refers to fantastical elements in stories that take place in our world, so for example, Casper the ghost is low fantasy, Little Red Riding Hood is low fantasy, where LotR or Warhammer is high fantasy.

I would have if I didn't love the books. It's fine as a movie but a patchwork adaptation.

The Cat Returns is worse

>Sup Forums bitches endlessly anytime a thread about anime pops up
>unless that thread is about a Ghibli movie

Actually, Ocean Waves is the least good Ghibli film.
And I actually liked that one as well.

It feels like a good AU sequel taking place after the second book.

>Howls Moving Castle

The precise moment the movie stops making any sort of fucking sense and starts to completely unravel.
It's sad because it's a good movie up until this very point, then the characters all just start acting incredibly erratically and absolutely nothing is explained.

fpbp

This is in my top 5 most comfiest film desu. I have no clue what its about or what world it is taking place but I just love putting this on on a saturday morning when Im still in bed.

I Never read the books obviously

A bit of the way through production, the director was fired and Miyazaki was brought on last moment.
It's why the movie is a complete mess, the original storyboards are far closer to the source.

Also one of the funny things about Howls in the book is that Howl is actually from our world and it's implied a lot of the "magic" he gets up too is actually just modern technology and products. Like the "magical potions" he uses to dye his hair is implied to be just normal modern hair dye products from our world.

then how the fuck does he turn into a crow or some flying shit

Miyazaki has a good sense for fairy tale magic, I'll grant him that, but Jesus so much of his movies is just shit happening with no explanation that does nothing to properly advance the story or make the audience care.

He's insanely fucking overrated.

He's still magic, but he's also from our world and a lot of the shit he does is simply technology.
In fact, in the book, there are parts of the story that literally take place in our world in the modern day in wales.

First half wasnt bad, its the worst Ghibli film by far though.

Pleb detected.

Cat Returns is great. Just atmosphere and music alone.

Damn what shit taste you have.

Why do you need an explanation for everything, have you lost your childlike wonder?

Anybody watch this gem? Probably one of Studio Ghibli's best films.

Yup. Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves, Poppy Hill and Marnie are the Ghibli films that are highly underrated imo. Marnie is in my top 5 Ghibli films easily.

"No"

The comfiest film ever made
>poppy hill
That film annoyed the shit out of me

He killed millions

To save billions.

One of their only actually good films with Whisper of the Heart and maybe a few others.

Best way to make sure that your kid will not fuck up in the future is to let him fuck up in the first place. Pain is the best teacher after all. TfE was the equivalent of Goro putting his hand on a hot stove.

But why would Miyazaki be such a dick to his own son to let him knowingly fail on purpose? I mean, obviously his first ever directed animated movie would suck. Why not instead teach him how to do it properly over the course of several projects where he is filling less important creative roles?

Nip parenting. Tough love is their motto.
>You think you betta den fatha? Ok do on your own then
>See what happen? Now forrow my read son

An hour into Tales from Earthsea, Miyazaki bolted from the theater to have a cigarette, saying, “It feels like I was sitting there for about three hours.”

Watch Kingdom of Dreams and Madness. It shows just how much of a neurotic wreck Goro is, living in the shadow of his father. It's really sad.

While I liked whisper of the heart, this one just bored me to tears.

>From now on, and without any reason or justification, I'm going to stop being bad or provoking wars.
Classic Miya