JSA Storytime: Manhunter

Good evening owls,

This might be enough to finish off the Last Good Kate Story

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_AVkVe765jY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

so what have I missed?

also, when did the sheer physical design of RAM become so fucking ridiculous?

When Razer and gaming stuff got super big

dang it Kate

HEY OP!

Legionaries 1 trade comes out tomorrow. Feels good man

Marvel had another day in the Very Bad No Good week, with the X-men Gold art secretly having anti-Semite and anti-christian background details in it. It seems to be totally resolved now, but that probably won't stop people making threads about it

Hello, Storyteller.

Life is Strange has an owl in it!
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_AVkVe765jY

Speaking of things with pain in the ass heroines who are ultimately endearing, let's bid fond farewell to Ms. Kate Spencer. May she come back someday, cause let's be real, we kinda need her.

I think the only news has been the Syaf shit

the aesthetics of gaming stuff is fascinating me as I continue to shop for 1337 components to overhaul the entire box

I saw that, that was fucking amazing in the sense of "do you think people don't have the internet" life-ruining self-owns

I also saw someone today bitching about Deadpool Kills the MU Again, not realizing or caring that the original was the #2 trade for Marvel last year

X-Men Gold fired their artist for supporting Indonesian ISIS, and the Ragnar okay trailer was pretty good (but I still doubt how well Skurge turning face will work without 20 years of him as bad guy muscle)

that last panel is everything

I don't even get why there were so many threads considering there was basically nothing to say about it.

I really regret getting a case with glass on the side because the dumb lights on all the components keep me up at night.

There were the March sales too but nothing really noteworthy there

My reaction to that Syaf stuff was lol owned

Spencer was talking on Twitter about how insanely great Deadpool Kills sells

My basic-ass case has some nice little blue lights on the front but that's it, but I always turn it off at night because fan noise bugs me

well, he's right. and the dude puffing at that was basically comparing the best-selling diversibooks to the worst selling Mercs for Money spinoffs, which is cherry-picking at its finest.

Sup Forums's been pretty shit lately desu. Mind you maybe I've not been paying attention because I thought we'd finished Manhunter.

The X-Men controversy amuses me because I've got an Indonesian friend who apparently has her own thoughts on the matter, despite likely never reading X-Men.

Unfortunately, most of her thoughts are written in Indonesian.

Every time a movie trailer comes out you gotta brace for a tidal wave of shitposting.

>the aesthetics of gaming stuff is fascinating me as I continue to shop for 1337 components to overhaul the entire box
It's an embarrassment, right? Even the laptop I have has fucking a EXXXtreme light-up phrase on the back and flashing bits.

I knew a guy really into tuning up his cars who had this water-cooled rainbow LED thing going on and it was the exact same attitude for cars and comps.

OP is a nice poster.

best boy

easter eggs are one thing, but I do remember going, at a glance when it came out, "What the fuck is on his shirt? Is that some Quicksilver logo?" Way, way, WAY too blatant, and on a touchy topic.

I'm looking for new RAM to fit a new motherboard because I wanna upgrade the CPU and it's all gotta go then and it's like spiky and red, half of it???

Except for Shade continuing to fall like an anvil...

I really hate this huntress costume. the belly window is stupid. leotard, whatever, but belly window???

Deathstroke vol 1 was 8 for trades and Flintstones was 24, that's pretty cool

Kate, pls.

Hm. The comparison to Max was more apt than I thought.

It was a dumb thing to put in and the guy is clearly at least partially off the deep end from his responses. No idea how he figured he wasn't going to be fried for it other than, uh, god I guess and GOD DOESN'T LIVE AT MARVEL ANYMORE.

The Kitty Jew thing is less easy to read into the art than the direct references but alongside those references it is absolutely going to drive people towards a certain interpretation and honestly, that's an interpretation I believe. The shop could have been named anything, I feel that was deliberate and that's a different thing than just putting in scripture.

yeah the belly window looks fucking stupid

didn't Simone try to defend it as "Helena is just really confident" or some nonsense like that

Not too blatant to be missed by Marvel editors though.

One more arc would be nice.

>the dude puffing at that was basically comparing the best-selling diversibooks to the worst selling Mercs for Money spinoffs

A difference there was that Foolkiller was actually living a poet, despite its low sales.

Not really concerned there. I think it's still doing better than anything Vertigo.

I'm sad that Elektra has already fallen so low. The only #2 from that Daredevil-Family push in the Top 100 was Kingpin.

Some marvel books actually got bumps this month, though there is almost no way to tell if shit was overhsipped or not. There have been no announcements about that from what I know, but it is pretty weird that Mighty Captain Marvel gained 4K sales (24,172 to 28,649). With Mighty, I think there was some overship because it sold 6K higher than Planet of the Apes: Green Lantern, but the latter is ahead of it by four spots in the dollar rankings (same price)

Yeah, when you consider it as "the artist could have drawn any sign there" it's just entire TOO coincidental.

any eurocomics readers here? is romance really a subgenre in BDs, as a genre unto itself, not like "arty shit that has relationship plots in it"?

Khouri had some comments about how many moving parts are involved in making books and how fast it all has to go

Marvel not having the Gerber available at all was a total kneecapping of the book, too

Way said he'd prefer a healthy line of 4 ongoings instead of constantly launching and canceling stuff. I'm still holding out hope for a 40 issue long run but... it'd be real hard to justify it with those numbers...

If they had to do something there it should have been a different styled top with some cleavage rather than the ab window.

Though I think the thighs alone sells the sexiness anyway and you don't need much more than that.

>Marvel not having the Gerber available at all was a total kneecapping of the book, too

Well it's not like Marvel hasn't screwed the man over before. Why not fuck him over one more time, just to see if he'll roll in his grave?

It's made for TPB.

Now if only critics would get to singing its praises already.

Whoops, ignore that little bit about Planet of the Apes, I was looking at February, not March.

This month, Mighty Captain Marvel(82) and Justice League Power Rangers(85) sold almost the same amount, but JLPR is ahead by 3 spots in the dollar share rankings

I think people also miss that the latest batch of failed Deadpool spin-offs is part of a chain which even in the current Marvel U started a while ago with Squadron Supreme spin-offs and right now is made up of Kingpin spin-offs.

I'll need to double check but I think Astro City sells better. Lucifer should too. A 1k drops this late is really damn bad though and bringing in "the usual Vertigo numbers" isn't good considering most of them end before #20.

Right, a leotard can be sexy enough and let me tell you at least IME every woman alive would rather bare her legs than her abdomen.

And they make the same mistake each time--they put ALL the subsidiary books out at once and thus pit them against each other.

>so what have I missed?

Oh, I thought of another thing: Gorillaz are getting a 10 episode cartoon!

Sure, and I guess the fact it was Indonesian readers that caught it is sort of a pass for the editors.

>is romance really a subgenre in BDs, as a genre unto itself, not like "arty shit that has relationship plots in it"?
Not a eurocomic reader, but I think a major reason romance comics aren't a thing in the States at least is because, well, they're usually boring as fuck.

Like seriously, how many good romances in fiction have you ever seen in your life? Probably not many. The romance genre needs help.

Do you or anyone know if there was some sort of starting point for the Squadron Supreme stuff? Hyperion was around with Hickman's big arcs but you can point to the Mercs for Money story and the Kingpin Civil War mini being well received for the others (and I guess the movie and TV shows too, but that's not exact in terms of dates).

But yeah Marvel doesn't thread these books at all.

Apparently Gail Simone addressed the UN, but literally nobody is talking about it

>Way, way, WAY too blatant
Seriously

The dude may have gotta away with it had it been 5:51 instead of QS 5:51, and had he not put so many at once.

bleedingcool pointed out that he HAD put 212 in Superman Earth One and put the leader he likes in Batgirl.
Both went unnoticed because they were very out there and sparse, and who knows how many other references he put in other books.

He got way too cocky and put too many in one issue.

I was listening to a retailer podcast the other day and they pointed out that if nobody's coming in to pick up Marvel staples like Cap/Avengers/X-men/etc they sure as fuck aren't going to the shop to pick up Great Lakes Avengers or Solo (also a problem DC had during DCYou)

and yeah it doesn't help at all that Marvel dumps out a bunch of D-lister books all at once then cancels them all five issues later when they inevitably sell like shit (unless it's something they can also shill at Scholastic bookfair like Moon Girl)

We live in the global comics village and there's no excuse for shitty Google Translate versions of real languages either

Andyreko likes the sharp open-->flashback style in these backups

Well, romance is a fucking huge genre in books that sells a huge amount to voracious readers, but I don't think comics are good at doing the specific things people read romance novels FOR

I'm super-curious if Hyperion and Nighthawk were pure pitches, solicited, or what. But I'm very curious about the level of dictat vs. pitch on any book, ever

>so what have I missed?
Injustice 2 #1 just came out

It was basically Harley as a main character and synergy and c list fodder at the end.

Hoping for more NAAARGHs and Bulterings because I'm not caring about it so far

My knowledge of BDs is secondhand but adventure seems massively the most popular genre.

Isn't basically everyone dead in Injustice? Are they opening it up to a new universe?

I just started reading The Unwritten (the entire thing this time), and I found some of the sales. This was the last long Vertigo series I could think of:

10/2009: The Unwritten #6 -- 15,314
10/2010: The Unwritten #18 -- 12,273
10/2011: The Unwritten #30 -- 10,481
------------------------------------
10/2012: The Unwritten #42 -- 8,881 (- 0.7%)
11/2012: The Unwritten #43 -- 8,791 (- 1.0%)
12/2012: The Unwritten #44 -- 8,532 (- 3.0%)
01/2013: The Unwritten #45 -- 8,465 (- 0.8%)
02/2013: The Unwritten #46 -- 8,352 (- 1.3%)
03/2013: The Unwritten #47 -- 8,267 (- 1.0%)
04/2013: The Unwritten #48 -- 8,226 (- 0.5%)
05/2013: The Unwritten #49 -- 8,234 (+ 0.1%)
06/2013: The Unwritten #50 -- 10,124 (+23.0%)
07/2013: The Unwritten #51 -- 9,143 (- 9.7%)
08/2013: The Unwritten #52 -- 9,033 (- 1.2%)
09/2013: The Unwritten #53 -- 8,982 (- 0.6%)
10/2013: The Unwritten #54 -- 8,871 (- 1.2%)
6 months: + 7.8%
1 year : - 0.1%
2 years : -15.4%

I wish Shade did better, but it does not look good

Higgins likes to talk about that--he can sell niche DC to people who are coming in for tentpoles, but when no one's buying Avengers, they're not giving Foolkiller a chance either because the aura around Marvel is not good

A real question for me is "when do they decide that they have enough Ms. Marvel to sell forever in trade", like they did with Marvel Adventures.

A background prime minister isn't like quoting what's apparently a highly contentious and reception-history plagued verse, so yeah. dumbass.

They added a bunch of new characters

Like Jason is most definitely going to replace Dick eventually

Solo was also really fucking bad. I was actually interested in the hook but fuck, it was bad.

>Well, romance is a fucking huge genre in books that sells a huge amount to voracious readers, but I don't think comics are good at doing the specific things people read romance novels FOR
Well, assuming(probably incorrectly) that people read romance works to see a pair of interesting and well defined characters hook up, I'm not really seeing how comics couldn't do that.

I'm actually kind of interested to see how the set pieces end up in place for Injustice 2 (stuff like Barry un-retiring and Hal getting his green ring back) but now I'm pretty sure Injustice 2 is just going to be a Harley book with a tangential look at anything that's actually interesting

so yeah, good for Harley fans I guess but probably nothing interesting for me

Ollie is from a different universe, everyone else is characters that aren't dead

It's definitely a thing in webcomics but what isn't?

>Not too blatant to be missed by Marvel editors though.

Well, as blatant as it is once you know what he was doing, if you don't know shit about Indonesian politics, 212 wouldn't mean jack to you.

Like if you were reading something by a Chinese artist with a conspicuous 64 or llama or something.

>Like if you were reading something by a Chinese artist with a conspicuous 64 or llama or something.
New Super-Man has a Chinese WRITER, user.

The Unwritten received a lot of publicity in the first few years so it had that going for it despite being mostly ignored for it's last few years by comic book sites and critics.
Shade's sales just serve to remind me just how much I hate the comic boom industry right now.

The thing is Unwritten also sold great in trades and I doubt anything that isn't already established is gonna sell great, especially since Dc rarely shills things hard

I'm just hoping for 22-24 issues to make a nice 4 trade set desu

>It was basically Harley as a main character
Cancer.

Hurm. What novels can do is a really deep dive into the interior feelings of a character with a close 3rd person narration. The limited space of the comics page isn't so good at that many words, and it takes an exceptional artist to translate the same effect into art.

GRASS MUD HORSE

>A real question for me is "when do they decide that they have enough Ms. Marvel to sell forever in trade", like they did with Marvel Adventures.
I'm curious about that too, nothing lasts forever and Ms. Marvel is probably going to be a high seller in trade for a while yet but relaunching it hurt its numbers and every new volume is selling less plus the floppies are almost selling as bad as Captain Marvel usually does

>he makes a trebuchet out of straws

heh nice

Manhunter Rebirth could be pretty great with e.g. Christopher Priest. If Captain Atom can get a mini...

>Double Espresso

Haha, of course that'd be what Harvey drinks.

>romance is a fucking huge genre in books that sells a huge amount to voracious readers

Almost entirely women, though. which sets it against the majority population of Sup Forums for the most part.

>I don't think comics are good at doing the specific things people read romance novels FOR

Hot Dickings?

>Wanna see where he put mine?

Do not want

Bendis is finally going to be done with GotG, which is up there with Earth-2 for me.

The Unwritten got shilled HARD and got tons of publicity and as a result ended up selling very good in trades

I mean just looking at 2013

>Unwritten Vol. 7 The Wound 4,600

That's vol 7 and how much all YA books minus maybe Doom Patrol can strive to do on the first volume lol

>Unwritten Vol. 5 On To Genesis 6,100
>Unwritten Vol. 6 Tommy Taylor War of Words 4,200

>A background prime minister isn't like quoting what's apparently a highly contentious and reception-history plagued verse, so yeah. dumbass.

The Christian Governor everybody apparently hates for being Christian is currently on trial for Blasphemy for questioning that exact verse after they used it to try to invalidate him getting elected.

Like this fills me with incandescent rage pretty much:
>“I think the amount of time that I spent on Avengers, and being the longest-running ‘Avengers’ writer ever, that I should have gone out with a big blockbuster ending,” Bendis said of why he planned such an explosive end to his GotG run. “I was reminded by someone at Marvel, I’m the longest running ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ writer ever and I’m going to make the effort to go out really big, with the help of the writer who’s coming after me.”
Fucking Bendis.

I had a weird dream where Kevin Smith killed off Manhunter in a comic and then explained to an angry internet that she totally wasn't dead even though she got punched through her stomach by a shark-man (?). So... thanks for that I guess, OP.

That preview has got to be Bendis taking the piss. Like Dillon doing Frankface.

He can't NOT know!

>he HAD put 212 in Superman Earth One

I saw someone say that 212 apparently wasn't a thing until years after that was published, so it might just be a coincidence. But I haven't researched shit.

Oh gosh, I'd like to see Priest's take on it. Even though Andreyko would kill to pick this back up, a good character needs to roll through multiple hands

also a great panel

That one fucking page with that fucking "pity the letterer" bubble on it

I hate Bendis

Seriously though, why HASN'T Jim killed the Joker already?

I feel like he's got to have killed someone in the line of duty before (it's Gotham) and the Joker keeps fucking with him personally.

>“I think the amount of time that I spent on Avengers, and being the longest-running ‘Avengers’ writer ever, that I should have gone out with a big blockbuster ending,”

He did that with the end of the first New Avengers series.

Then he kept going.

I've been waiting literal years to post this

>I'm actually kind of interested to see how the set pieces end up in place for Injustice 2 (stuff like Barry un-retiring and Hal getting his green ring back) but now I'm pretty sure Injustice 2 is just going to be a Harley book with a tangential look at anything that's actually interesting
same
I like how much c listers they're using because already killed so many other characters, but I'll care less if every other interaction they have is with Harley. Especially since all of them but Deadshot and Cold are gonna die within 2-3 arcs.

Same with Batman and the other side.

The Batman/Harley focus kinda killed a lot of Injustice for me

>It was in the back of her head

whew I thought this was going places I didn't want to see

He thinks it's both funny and effective.

i miss my doggus

Taylor's Harley is cancer

>Hurm. What novels can do is a really deep dive into the interior feelings of a character with a close 3rd person narration. The limited space of the comics page isn't so good at that many words, and it takes an exceptional artist to translate the same effect into art
Makes sense. I suppose then one would have to learn to make good use of narration boxes, or really get good with facial expressions. Or both, ideally.

Or hell, you could just call Andreyko. Kate's his OC after all, he'd probably leap at the chance to give her another go.

I really like Jane Doe as a Bat villain although I'm not sure about this look. I like all Slott's Arkham Asylum villains actually.

Uuuuuuuuuugh

I honestly just wish that Marvel would give Bendis 4-5 books in their own damn universe a la Ultimate just so he'll FUCK OFF

And it's full of semi-explained Chinese internet anti-censorship stuff.

If he was writing, like, Batman and sticking that shit in there, no one would probably notice unless, like Syad, it was blatant and topical.

Shit man, that is fantastic. No wonder DC decided to put out a deluxe hardcover this year. I wonder why I almost never see it mentioned on Sup Forums. I mean, it is kind of a joke that Sup Forums does not talk about good books, but seriously.

yeah I have zero interest in Harley in general nor do I see the point in watching the Cannon Fodder Squad die off (minus the obvious exceptions)

the solicit for July has Ted Kord on the cover so Injustice 2 might be worth a skim every week but the first issue plus the interviews being entirely about Harley put a damper on my interest

>Robot dog poops

That seems needlessly complicated

I am too angry at Mike Carey for the Felix Castor books to ever pick up his comics

when it was running i tried to shill it on Sup Forums, i really enjoyed the thing

I don't even want to think about how it works

Hot Take: Unwritten is like if Sandman wasn't shitty and boring

The Unwritten is mostly just okay desu.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been picked up for a tv pilot.

Even the more obscure Vertigo books like The Kitchen got picked up.

And there's only so many Vertigo books out there that aren't connected to DC universe.
Still mad Coffin Hill didn't end right desu

Miss America #1 actually sold for less than I was expecting (given the hyping and media attention for it). There are rumours of heavy overshipping on #2, so we will have to see how that turns out.

Comics media is a mess. The same kind of articles that were written about America (Female Lead, Young Adult Fiction writer) could have been written for Shade instead

I thought it was a reference to a protest from last December, so yeah, Earth One is probably a coincidence unless he owns a time machine.

Never read his novels but he's an outstanding comic book writer, he should be getting more work. Would've loved a Dr. Strange ongoing from him instead of the retarded Axe wielding Aaron shit.

That hurts OP. Lucifer/Constantine and Unwritten are fantastic, and I have read that his X-men was pretty good as well.

Shade isn't empowering enough user :^) I mean how many nazis has she even punched? She's not even brown!