How were the main characters appealing?

How were the main characters appealing?

I'm watching this with my wife on Netflix and I continued to watch because I'm just waiting for the main characters to get some sort of comeuppance, BUT THEY NEVER DO!

It's like they take reason and accountability out back and ventilate their skulls.

Are all women targeted shows like this?

Lorelai is much more appealing than Rory. Her relationship to her parents gets very emotional from time to time, plus she is a much better actress. Even though Lorelai tends to destroy her own hapiness all the time too...

my gf watches this shit sometimes and I'll usually do something else when it's on but I did notice that every single character speaks exactly the same way, men included. every interaction is the same fast cadence dripping with little sarcastic comments. fucking awful.

Lorelai is actually calling out her daughter at some points, and it always feels good when Rory get's dumped on by someone because she's a selfish child. She clearly has been raised to belive she can be everything and is the best of the best, as it is reinforced by everyone in town all the time. This bites her in the ass the first time when she dumps Sam from Supernatural

>tv shows men will never understand

I watched it all and I enjoyed it. My wife hates it. Hates the characters, hates teh way they talk. Everything. Personally Lorelai and Luke are the reason I enjoyed it. Rory can fuck right off, she is a brat and pretty fucking crazy. Luke and Lorelai make the show for me. The cadence of the show, the quips and references, the stories. Love em.

For reference in case anyone gives a shit I am a 35 year old hetero male, married, with a daughter.

DUDE

VAGINAS

LMAO

white women from CT are what everyone desires in life
their lives are perfect

I am not this show's target demographic, but I've always found the characters extremely unlikable. All of them.

100% agree with this. I always had the feeling that they thought people liked Rorys character so much, that they wouldn't notice all her flaws. BUT I have to say, there are reasons for why she is how she is, so I wouldn't say it's a bad character. just an unlikable one.

Yep. Character wise she isn't bad, she is just developed into someone who is just downright unlikable. Especially in the new netflix season. She is even worse in that one. I wanted to reach through the screen and choke her. But to me it was also kinda part of the appeal. Watching her grow up into a trainwreck of a human being was part of the show for me as well now that I think about it more. All the characters have some flaw/flaws, but they are all redeemed in some way with the exception of Rory.

Incidently, I just finished watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel which is Palladinos new show. Pretty damn good.

Unironicaly this

Honestly, I loved watching the show, because it's humor really appealed to me. Sometimes they went a little over the top, but most of the time it hit very well. The supporting characters pretty much all great too, I am so so glad they kept Paris around for example. She was pretty much the mirror image or Rory the entire time, as she was unlikable in the beginning, but grew on me very quickly when her character developed.

The worst part was usually Rorys romances for me... I don't remember the name of her last boyfriend, but I just couldn't understand what he ever saw in her...

My wife shares the same sentiments with me about lorelai. I guess we don't understand Western culture and their disdain for parents who actually want to help.

>OMG mom is the worst she tries to give me money
>Leave me alone mom I'm 16 I can raise a child on my own
>Lol my decisions are the best because I have such a quirky personality

DESU I only started hating Rory when she started shitting on Dean's marriage.

For me it started when she cheated on Dean. But my god was it glorious when Lorelai called her out for it.

In the end, it was a complete writers decision, because they thought their relationship was stale and wanted something fresh, but unfortunately, her chaqracter went all downhill from that point on

Yep. I wonder if we are intended to really like Rory as a character, because even her mother and other characters begin to really point out how fucked up she is in her choices halfway through the main series.

The humor for me was always spot on, which is why the show grew on me so quickly. The supporting characters where all good. Paris was a very good example.

If I had one gripe with the show it would be this. Her unwillingness to try harder to connect with her parents. But, it is a believable character flaw, and they do show enough of her parents pushing in a manner that gives credence to her disdain towards them.

The conflict with her mother is one of the strongest emotional points in the entire series if you ask me. Every time the mother showed some emotion I felt genuinly bad for favoring Lorelai and ended up at kind of a middle path between the two

I think the writers wanted us to like Rory, and they still do until the end. I wonder if they thought it would appeal to women though, because every woman I know who watched the show hates Rorys character too. It really doesn't help that I don't like her actress though, in comparison to Lorelai, she butchers a lot of the quick and witty lines and makes them fall flat

SASHA BEST BUNHEAD

I've always thought that palladino intentionally wanted audiences to hate lorelai even though she bills her as the "cool mom" and then later on she wanted us to hate Rory as well. To make us hate them further, she built a cast of delusional characters that show unwavering support and worship the ground they walk on.

If that really was the intent it would be borderline satirical. No, they want you to like the characters, it just turns out if you write them as Mary Sues, the audience will start to dislike them at some point

what an amazing plot

Rory gets a bit of karma towards the end of the series.
To some degreee I respect Lorelai for trying to support herself independently, however she's a bit stupid at time for not accepting help (i.e. Raising a baby in a hotel instead of a mansion )
Dean was the epitome of beta pussy tbqh