Why doesn't he get the same level of respect as Gaiman, Morrison, Ellis, Ennis et al Sup Forums...

Why doesn't he get the same level of respect as Gaiman, Morrison, Ellis, Ennis et al Sup Forums? Is it because he looks like a former heroin addict?

He's too hit and miss.

>Ennis
>Ellis
>not hit and miss

Ellis wrote Planetary; and his Authority was edgy crap but at least influential. Milligan... what does he have?

I don't know... his fanbase isn't as rabid maybe? Ellis for example does not belong in the same category as the other three, Milligan does, even Carey or Delano deserve it more. Ellis is juvenile trash.

Oh wait, I know, he hasn't had a long critically acclaimed run on a superhero. Morrison has Batman and Superman, Ennis has Hitman, Ellis has Authority...

Not enough cult of personality in Sup Forums unlike the others you mentioned.

Also most of the people only remember him for Shade and X-Statix.

>former

Shade the Changing Man
Human Target
X-Statix
Hellblazer
Bad Company

What does looks have to do with anything? Ellis is fat, has a beard an unironically wears fedoras.

Ellis sounds like an average Call of Duty player judging by that description.

>Shade the Changing Man
>X-Statix
I'll give you these two, but the rest are either little known or, in the case of Hellblazer, crap.

also Engima and the further Adventures of Cyclops/Phoenix

He also has two penises.

His Hellblazer was better than Ellis.

He might be. Though he doesn't have a groo.ed beard, one if those ugly ass long ones.

Human Target got two seasons on Fox

Looks have nothing to do with anything. I don't even know how Garth Ennis looks.

in his mouth.

It was a very loose adaptation.

He is also responsible for creating Toxin.

Man I was bummed that character didn't go so far, at least the first host anyway. I liked the idea of a symbiote user that was genuinely heroic, and he came before Agent Venom.

He's a 9 foot tall mutant Scots/Irishman from a dystopian future.

...and? Ellis' claim to fame is RED

Casual here and I haven't heard of any of those in my 5 years on this board

>Casual here
Oh, it shows...

Most of his work was/is not collected. Doesn't promote himself the same way as Morrison and Ellis.

Which isn't saying much, especially when it was supposed the finale to the ongoing series.

Top o' the bloomin' marnin ter yer user, 'oy are ya?

>Gaiman
He's a book writer and has Sandman. Really not on the same level of popularity as others.
>Morrison
Serious House and JLA are ten years apart yet sold similarly HUGE. Smartly caught the momentum both times and ran with it. Serious House made him "that weird hip guy" and JLA cemented him as the guy who can deliever on superhero action.
>Ellis
He was one of the first major comic writers to make himself openly available on the internet and cultivated a whole community around himself (including yet-unknown future major writers). His work is pretty smart yet easily digestible.
>Ennis
Crossed is a semi-known thing among normies but I don't think he really is as popular as the others on this list, he's just very distinct in his writing and sensibilities. When DC or Marvel announce Ennis on Firestorm or Nomad you already have certain expectations and quality, when they announce someone like Nicieza or Pak, it's "what-fucking-ever"

So Milligan:

- barely has/had prescence in the "community"
- doesn't consider superheroes the be-all and end-all
- too hard to get into and doesn't offer an incentive to do so based on previous two points

It was also a character from the 70s that had already had a TV show in the 90s.

he's not at their level

True, he is above.

He had Shade the Changing man, which is more of a superhero comic and more well known than Hitman.

Name any misses from Ennis and Ellis? When Milligan misses, he misses really bad. His recent shit has been bad, from Vertigo and Boom to the big two. Britannia being the only decent thing he wrote this decade. Meanwhile, Ennis and Ellis both have written good things for the big two as well as creator owned stuff. If anyone is underrated, I'd say it's Ennis because he doesn't write for fancy publishers like Image or Vertigo or big name capeshit for the big two.

He's good. He's just not that good.

>Ellis is juvenile trash.
Almost all of Ellis' short stories, just just one off trades, are spectacular. Look at Orbiter, it's a fantastic short story that has a very specific point and is executed very well. Ellis shines in his contained stories. I don't think Milligan, Carey or delano compare. Although I think Delano is the best of those 3

Carey has Hellblazer, Unwritten, Lucifer...

Ellis hasn't been spectacular once.

Ellis: Karnak, Jack Cross, Supergod, No Hero, Trees. And that's not counting the painfully mediocre in betweeners.
Milligan's recent work like The Names or The Discipline are good
Ennis' Caliban wasn't very good and All Star Section 8 wasn't that great(Hard Travelin Heroz is a return to form though). I haven't read that much Ennis stuff in the past few years because he's settling into a specific type of comic and usually has crap artists, Johnny Red was great though, Keith Burns is cool.

Man, Ennis is anything but underrated. In fact his fanbase in Sup Forums must be one of the most rabid ones losing only to Morrison's fandom.

For Ennis I would also include the first Fury MAX mini that he wrote. The jokes are painfully crude and it is a tad ham-fisted with politic commentary.

I also heard from some people that Where the Monsters Dwell was average.

This is a great crude joke though.

He'd probably be more relevant if Vertigo didn't take twenty fucking years or whatever to reprint his most important work

He spend too much time on nonsense like the upcoming Hammer adaptations for Dynamite.

None of those are as bad as Red Lanterns, New Romancer, Shadowman or terminal hero. Speaks volumes how bad Milligan has fallen. Also considering that Names and Discipline are used as examples of Milligan's best comics. Nothing Milligan has written in this decade has been half as good as Ennis' War Comics this decade.

That's not even a recent series.

Jack Cross is by far the worst comic mentioned in this thread. And Red Lanterns was an editorially controlled shitfest that quickly got roped into a bunch of crossovers. And Shadowman wasn't even bad, just rushed. If him and De la torre would've been on it from the start instead of Jordan and Zircher maybe they could've had a genuinely good run. Either way, his short stint was better than Caliban or Supergod or Karnak.

As a fan of much of both of their work, I can say for certain that half of what both Ennis and Ellis produce is unreadable.

As the guy whose post you replied, I agree.

Fury MAX v1 wasn't good but that panel is gold.

2 was fucking great though

He never had that definitive incredibly popular run on a book that the rest of them did. Shade was overshadowed by the other Vertigo books and never got the love it deserved. X-Statix was too left of center for a lot of fans despite how good it was (The first X-Force trade literally had a bad quote from a reviewer on it).

That's to take nothing away from the quality of his work, he's a fantastic writer, but popularity isn't always determined by skill.

No idea, Milligan is great.

He needs to do better press, I think.

Oh forgot to add: Shade, his biggest work, isn't even fully published. Only the first bit of his arc has ever been collected.

>(The first X-Force trade literally had a bad quote from a reviewer on it)
Lolwut?

It was with some other quotes that said good things but I just remember the guy from X-Fan's said "Below Average"

Milligan/Allred X-Force was intentionally antagonistic since they took a pre-existing book and gave it a completely different cast and direction. Of course fans of the characters would get mad, and that anger gave them publicity. Marvel tried this approach again with Thunderbolts with failing results.

I always thought Milligan´s Hellblazer was the worst...but then I read Azzarellos...Felt like recycled scripts for a completely different series.

I want to like Milligan and I like some of his ideas but well...It isn´t always there. How is The Mummy btw ?

Not bad.

>Why doesn't he get the same level of respect as Gaiman, Morrison, Ellis, Ennis et al Sup Forums? Is it because he looks like a former heroin addict?
He does.
Now look at your thread.