Is Kurt white...

Is Kurt white? I was just having an argument about this with someone who called him white and thus not a diverse character. But the fact of the matter is

>he isn't white
He is blue
>his parents aren't white
they are blue and red
>his adopted family isn't white
Gypsies and thus I argue that his ethnicity is romani

So why do people default characters as being white even when they are by definition nonwhite, diverse, minority characters?

Other urls found in this thread:

abcnews.go.com/Health/blue-skinned-people-kentucky-reveal-todays-genetic-lesson/story?id=15759819
express.co.uk/news/world/727263/Angela-Merkel-migrant-crisis-worsens-as-Germany-descends-into-lawlessness
express.co.uk/news/world/729402/Migrant-crisis-Angela-Merkel-refugee-Germany-tougher-asylum-smugglers-Mediterranean
gatestoneinstitute.org/9934/germany-rape-january
breitbart.com/london/2016/12/21/timeline-germanys-two-years-islamist-terror-migrant-crisis/
express.co.uk/news/world/790824/migrant-crisis-germany-deportations-hungary-angela-merkel-viktor-orban-EU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Blue isn't a real minority.

He's a German from the 70s, so white if he wasn't a mutant.

But yeah, he's blue.

How many blue people do you know? Cause last I checked most people I know aren't blue

Culture matters, but the literal color here can't really apply in the same way. We only use it with normal humans because that's actual societal colorism shit. At best his blueness works as an allegory for that sort of thing.

I don't think of most comic book characters by their race. Usually I'm able to just see them as characters.

his culture isn't white either. He was raised by gypsies

Does Kurt being culturally white make Sup Forums feel better?

For fuck's sake...

yes that's why I said the culture mattered in the argument, but the literal color can't in the same way as if he appeared as a non-fictional race

He isn't culturally white though. He is Romani. His family and his sister girlfriend are Romani

In the Xmen? at least 3

Canon alternate universe non-mutant Kurt.

Anytime he and/or Mystique lose their powers, they're light skinned with dark hair (Raven's my be red sometimes, don't feel like checking). Before Azazel was retconned as his father, Kurt's dad was a German or Austrian count.I think they're both pretty non-Romani German.

>someone who called him white and thus not a diverse character.
Then that person is dumb.

You ever see a black catholic priest?

As someone who doesn't give a shit about Nightcrawler, I always thought he was "racially" white, but culturally and ethnically Romani. He was raised by Romani in a traveling circus.

His parent's ethnicity is unknown. Mystique is a shapeshifter with mental instability, and the father thinks he is a demon lord.

The only reason I thought Nightcrawler is "white" is because he's from Germany.

He identifies as blue but prior to that he used an image inducer to appear white.

yeah, I mean Africa is one of biggest modern expansions of Catholicism in a long while.

>The only reason I thought Nightcrawler is "white" is because he's from Germany.

But with the retcon of his dad he's not really 'from' there. Thats just where Mystique dropped his ass off.

You've met the Xmen? How are they in person?

I mean, every girl I know from latin america who looks the tiniest bit white says they are white and tries to play that up. But it doesn't make them white

I could see that Kurt as Romani.

Isn't he a gypsy or a Jew or something?

Yeah the predominance of Spaniard blood makes them white.

...He's very Catholic.

Yeah...No clue anymore. Good observation.

Huh. I don't follow sex men, so I didn't know.

>iberians
>white

abcnews.go.com/Health/blue-skinned-people-kentucky-reveal-todays-genetic-lesson/story?id=15759819

he's really a giant chicken

I've had this discussion before. Today in fact. Weird. Anyway.

I wager Kurt is racially some level of brown. Why?

We don't know what Mystique is, but it begs the question. Since she can have kids how does that work? Women start out with all their eggs so does she still have them if she shifts to a man. Does she shift new eggs for whatever lady form she's in? When she shifts back to blue have the changed or whatever?

I can't recall if they tried to retcon it or not, but Azazel is a Mutant "from biblical times" who is from an imaginary island near Turkey/the middle east. So it's assume he's some kinda brown originally.

So what does that make Kurt? Some kinda brown mixed with whatever Mystique is. Probably generally Mediterranean looking.

Why does Kurt image induce as white? Well he based it on Errol Flynn whom he idolized.

Why do other artists draw him was white? Well. Pre-retcon. Also probably just basing it on the Inducer version forgetting it was based on Flynn.

Wait I had that wrong, not Mediterranean. Gulf of Mexico. So different kind of brown.

Hey, that's from the comic where Iceman was just a disembodied head and Havok had to pee a new body for him. Good times

>Havok had to pee a new body for him

No? He jerkied a bitch to get a new body,

Yes?

He's obviously white, hence why he disguises himself as a white person back in the early comics when Reed Richards created that device to make him look human in public.

But he didn't actually do it. I don't know why you want it to be a thing.

I don't remember that happening that way, especially since when they go back here in Amazing X-Men, Bobby freezes the hellscape and makes a quip about it leaving the taste of "yellow snow" in his mouth.

Is that a retcon issue? The art doesn't match.

what race is mystique it's such a 50 50 crap shoot.

2 of her kids are blue as the ocean and the other 2 are lily white

The art changes. It's not a retcon if you can't I can take pictures of the original comic. My pages fall chronologically after the part of the page you posted in the next issue.

Uncanny X-men 434

Yeah well people who bitch about diversity like to talk about genders that aren't real either so who gives a shit

>hence why he disguises himself as a white person back in the early comics when

No.

>Reed Richards
Tony Stark

Alternate universe Kurt is a BritCit Judge?

>Off the coast of Florida

Well, this explains a lot.

Tumblr must never learn of this.

condescending cunts

you know spics and portuguese literally inevnted the concept of white right?

that is errol flinns image tho, not necesarily kurt without mutation

That was the point of posting it. Proof that he's using someone's image.

He's German, so if you're talking about modern Germany then definitely not white.

Quit judging people based on the color of their skin you bigoted fuck.

The very basis of this thread is Sup Forums related if you're going to be retarded about it.

The fact of the matter is, Germans are a mixed race in the modern world due to many factors. Ignoring that fact would be just plain ignorance, you can shitpost about politics all you want.

who would you consider white then?
I mean besids pure basques

Nah don't get it all memey now, they're white in a sense but a lot of Germans have mixed races over the years with nonwhite nationalities

He's a mutant. Thus a minority. It's the entire of the book...fuck

Race has never been about skin color. In fact that sentiment is pretty much exclusively American (the super-continent, not the country) because that just happens to be where the greatest cultural divides are. And I guess South African. Most places culture clash just fine without having to rely on skin pigmentation.

>someone who called him white and thus not a diverse character.
Mugga please. Your friend is a flat out bigot. First, white people can be diverse as well.

Second, when he goes out into society, how do people treat him? Does he have white privilege? Fuck no. He gets treated like filthy mutie scum based on nothing but how he looks.

This post smells like Sup Forums ...

... BUT is actually making a truthy point:
Many of the X-Men's freakiest characters are the ones that are held up as the "normal white male".
Even the whole early Claremont era "Superhero United Nations" notion is undercut by how abnormal these characters were when you scratched the surface.
Storm - who even cares if she's a powerful black woman in charge when you think about how she's a nudist who talks to houseplants? That she's later involved with a crazy Japanese woman and goes full-on leather-lez is an afterthought to her weirdness.
Kurt is an insanely devout Catholic who looks like The Devil incarnate, irony abounds. But he's also involved in an inappropriate relationship with his adoptive sister, and his genderbending parent is involved in a lesbian relationship with an elderly woman.
Colossus - well his "normal" 'ship was with an underaged girl. We all know who he really obsesses over ...
And I dare you to tell me there's nothing perv about a little hairy manimal.

t. a person that knows jack shit about the country after 1945.

t. Hans

express.co.uk/news/world/727263/Angela-Merkel-migrant-crisis-worsens-as-Germany-descends-into-lawlessness

express.co.uk/news/world/729402/Migrant-crisis-Angela-Merkel-refugee-Germany-tougher-asylum-smugglers-Mediterranean

gatestoneinstitute.org/9934/germany-rape-january

breitbart.com/london/2016/12/21/timeline-germanys-two-years-islamist-terror-migrant-crisis/

express.co.uk/news/world/790824/migrant-crisis-germany-deportations-hungary-angela-merkel-viktor-orban-EU

This is all within the past year or two, Germany has basically committed culture suicide just to shut everyone up about the fucking Holocaust (meanwhile in China and Russia there were millions more killed that nobody gives a fuck about for whatever reason)

Mutie trash that should be purged from the earth.

why does this thread exist

People can't handle a hypothetical situation that doesn't perfectly line up with their personal politics.

little hairy manimal from the BlackOps of Marvel Canada, which is the Satan's Asshole of the world

sorry dude, you lost, his facial structure is consistent with white race. Not my fault, every fucking artist did the same and then just put him the pointy ears

Gypsies can be extremely Christian (Catholic, I think since they have roserys and shit) depending on which clan or whatever they belong to

Does the whole "white privilege" thing still work if you're not a white american?

It depends on the country's major religion. So German Roma are Catholics, Greek Roma are Orthodox and so on and so forth. And yeah, they're quite religious.

>linking the express and breitbart

How about you link something that isn't retarded brainwash propaganda.

How about you post a source that it's "retarded brainwash propaganda?"

Anything denying that the migrant crisis doesn't exist when it's happening right fucking now is brainwash propaganda.

You may as well say that the Holocaust has never happened.

He was raised in germany not ethnically germanic, where are mystique and whatshisface from orginally

Margali and Amanda aren't gypsies. Sorceresses certainly, but not gypsies.

Yes, that's called "passing".

Mystique's origins are something of a mystery, but the father hails from a middle-eastern bloodline of mutants that (it's bad canon, but it's canon) inspired the Biblical concept of demons.

Depends on what day it is if you want to talk about Azazel. He's got to have some connection to Europe. Austen's origin and Aaron's expansion on it are sketchy to say the least. Personally, I'd rather him be just a normal mutant. Not some sort of literal demon/mutant combination thing. The extended family is fine and I'm cool with him kind of setting up a cult for people who believe he's a real demon, but I'd rather keep Kurt away from that.

>yfw Kurt did whiteface
I had no idea Kurt was so racially insensitive