/european comics/ general

We talk about european comics. Suggestions, random talk etc. all welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

europeanclassiccomic.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-treasure-hunters.html
mediafire.com/file/emt392p12e68vbb/The Treasure Hunters_1-God's_Shadow.7z
mediafire.com/file/2hypoust1i0uazm/The Treasure Hunters_2-The_Cold_City.7z
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm pretty obsessed with David B, Stephane Blanquet, Killoffer...Black Paths by David B is great, as are Best of Enemies vols 1 and 2, Incidents In The Night volumes 1 and 2 and of course his masterpiece epileptic.
And I don't think Tengu is as bad as some have made out.
676 Apparitions of Killoffer is a masterpiece of cartooning and his stuff that was in Mome is great.
(I love de Crecy too, need more of his stuff)

Page from 676 Apparitions by Killoffer

Celestial Bibendum was a fucking trip.
It's one of those works where you want to read it again just to understand how deep the rabbit hole goes.
BTW I'm still mad about Drakka here for how it ended.

Stephane Blanquet
His Fanta book Toys In The Basement is a great, twisted, "children's comic".

I also love the Donjon/Dungeon comics

Was Voyage en Satanie ever scanlated?

I finally completed all English versions of Corto Maltese. Can I get a suggestion for any more comics set in the ocean or seas?

Eurocomics or US stuff too?

Recommend Manu Larcenet's work, too. Blast is fabulous but I really like the modern, semi-auto-bio work Ordinary Victories.

I'm okay with both.

Shilling my countrymen
Title translated is "a story"

elaborate

yurop's answer to Made In Abyss

Set To Sea by Drew Weing
It's evil cousin Black Lung by Chris Wright
The Red Grampus by Walt Holcombe, available in his Things Just Get Away From You collection.

Also on the Euro side of things Georges Pichard (who incidentally taught David B) did Ulysse (which counts, I guess?) and Candice At Sea (written by, I think, Jacques Lob, though I might be wrong on that). The latter is a bit smutty but beautifully drawn--it originally appeared in it's own album but I'm pretty sure was printed in English by Heavy Metal. Hope these help.
Ooo more Kerascoet, beautiful cover, looks wicked

Gipi is great. I have Notes On A War Story and Garage Band, kinda wish First second would print their stuff bigger (case in point the Paul Pope Battlin' Boy book)

Thanks a lot, user.

No problem, Sup Forumsmrade. The first three are all very "cartoony" but they're all Fanta books sooo...well, they don't say they "Publish The World's Greatest Cartoonists" for nothing, is my point. The latter two are among my fave comics ever, Red Grampus is comedic yet fairly dark but Black Lung is just straight-up fucking brutal, just nasty. The Blood Meridian of pirate comics,if you want a glib /lit/ comparison (though NOTHING is as brutal and nihilistic as Blood Meridian, in ANY medium, I think)!

>Blast
My melatonin enriched sibling from another female of the species.

That was quite a ride. Higly recommended to anyone that want's something unusual.

Oh shit yes! You, sir, have some fucking good taste. The art styles of Ordinary Victories and Blast are chalk and cheese, I prefer the art in Blast but I like the quietude of O.V. But, quite a fucking ride indeed. Great comic. Larcenet is so fucking versatile as a cartoonist.

The Passengers of the Wind (Bourgeon)
L'Epervier (Pellerin) (not sure it was translated though)
De Cape et de Croc (Ayroles, Masbou) (partly scanlated IIRC)
Redbeard (Charlier, Hubinon) (it's a Tintin-era classic, wikipedia says it wasn't translated)
Kaleunt (one-shot by Dimitri, this one is set during WW2 in an U-boot)

Frederik Peeters is great, have read Pachyderme(pic realted), Lupus, Aama, and Blue Pills and he has yet to disappoint.

I really have to get around reading Blast i keep hearing high praise about it.

> yurop's answer to Made In Abyss
>Made Kerascoet
How horrifying.

Forgot to attach pic.

I finished translating POWA volume 2. I will storytime it tomorrow, but i am not sure if have to storytime volume 1.
I have already storytimed it but that was one month ago.

La Vilaine Lulu

Not to be confused with Benoit Peeters, who is a writer (mainly with Schuiten, e.g. "Les Cités obscures")

Yeah man, it's great. If you like loosely autobio stuff check out Ordinary Victories too.

Dude you seem knowledgable, what's the name of the Belgian cartoonist who does all those architectural fantasy comics? His figurework is reminiscent of Moebius but he does all these huge, towering, sometimes baroque-looking, sometimes plain buildings...I believe he actually had a series of albums about an architect?

>Blast
doitfaggot.jpg
Artwise it'll be a bonus for you If you like Ben Templesmith, but it's not a requirement.

Yeah pretty sure it's Schuiten, thanks user, fortuitous bit of posting there man!

I'm the guy that proofs for phil and ouash. If you want me to proof your storytime you really ought to link it in the win-o. Mainly because I barely leave it these days.

I missed the first one, so I'd appreciate another dump.

I bought but still not read the first Blast volume. Why? It came in a horrible status, fuck Amazon.

Good thing they're on libgen then.
Some of the links in the archive might be live as well.

You're welcome, have a Druillet

I really need to check more of David B., recently read The Treasure Hunters and loved it.

Holy fucking shit, my dick is hard. Where to start with this master?

Anyone got a download for Blast? I do need to start reading it.

I don't know all his stuff, but "La Nuit" is a one-shot so it can be read independently, there's also the Lone Sloane series, with 10 albums, even if they're mostly independent.

Anybody pick up Caravaggio this week?

Set to Sea is one of my favorite comics ever. Beautiful visuals.

Thank you! An excellent choice of image if I may say so!
Is that a scanlation?! It hasn't been released in an official English version yet, has it? HAS IT?!?! Sorry. I fucking love the guy. Incidents In The Night is almost a companion piece to Epileptic, I really recommend those and I have a real soft spot for Black Paths, which is about the Italian fascist poet-warrior-commune leader Gabrielle d'Annunzio and his short lived "utopian experiment", with a love story in there. Also if you like recent history he did Best of Enemies: A History of The Relationship Between The U.S And Middle East in two volumes, written by Jean-Pierre Filieu. And the stuff that original saw light (in English) in Fanta's MOME anthology, The Armed Garden and Other Stories, is well worth picking up.
Holy shit Manara's done a comic about my favourite Baroque Tenebrist painter?! Wow. Have you read it? Does it play fast n' loose with the truth or is it a strictly historical account? looking at the cover I'm inclined to say the former (that swooning woman would be a swooning 17-year old boy, possibly younger) but you know what they say about judging books by their covers....
Agreed, it's like Elzie Segar meets...Roger Langridge?! Lovely little comic. Have you read Weing's most recent webcomic, about the kiddie detective? Forgotten what it's called and I need to catch up, what I've read was really good. Looser drawing than Set To Sea but none the worse for that. In fact I really like it, him and his missus seem to bounce off on each other really well

>that swooning woman would be a swooning 17-year old boy
I only flipped through it but he's in there.

Personally i read the official Spanish translation, but there is an english scalanation:
europeanclassiccomic.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-treasure-hunters.html

Okay, cool, thanks a lot for the info user! You planning to buy it? Derek Jarman's film Caravaggio is probably my favourite "art" film of all time. All those anachronisms and shit...still, it paints a great picture of the man himself...Dexter Ward and fucking Tilda Swinton, can't go far wrong, there!...
Ahh man you're a Prince among princes. THANK YOU! I bought (the so-far untranslated) Tengu--between my Mum and gf's GCSE/A-level French and my own stumbling grasp of the language I managed to make a crib sheet for the book, the Japanese ghosts/demons BD which I bought off e-Bay in the French edition. I did the same with the untranslated Mazzucchelli Italian Big Man (from Rubber Blanket) GN from Coconino and it's stood me in good stead. I'll check the scanlation and see if I can score a copy on e-Bay or wherever. Thanks SOOO MUCH for the info, you fucking rule, I love you. Seriously, REALLY grateful for this, user! All the best to you and yours, man!

Bump

I had several Corto Maltese threads last year that went nowhere because only one user knew who Hugo Pratt was. Good that Sup Forums is trying to shake off the capeshit though nothing good will happen until a containment boards for cartoon (network) and capeshit are created.

Though as far as Euro Comics go my knowledge is that of the classics that most people read. Would definitely reccommend Torpedo, it's outstanding, perfect double bill with Golgo.

not gonna disable my ublock to read your shitty adware blog

fuck you

got a dl link?

I have both Ublock and Umatrix and i can see the blog and the links just fine.

well it seems to be an issue with that link for me

site seems to work fine otherwise

i'm not going to apologize for being vulgar.

scratch that, again with the please disable script

fuck you and your link i'm done on this issue.

Is not my blog , can't do anything about whatever issue you are having, but in the rare case the issue is not you being a tech illiterate retard, here the links:

mediafire.com/file/emt392p12e68vbb/The Treasure Hunters_1-God's_Shadow.7z
mediafire.com/file/2hypoust1i0uazm/The Treasure Hunters_2-The_Cold_City.7z

thank you

I would like to see it, I had the opportunity to read the vol 1 in the past but being in its original language I could not read it

In fact acquired Voyage in Satanie of Kerascoet and as remember someone in /co / was working on his translation

Sup Forums hope you can help me, I remember an European comic that it was about the space adventures of a camel wearing a space suit, any of you knows the name? Thank you!

>a translation is in the works

Isn't spaceship sagittarius by any chance?