Annihilation

The teaser had me really hyped about this but the new trailer has me worried that it’s going to be shit

is that a spoon? Is she gonna take a sip of alligator saliva?

looks like garbage. Alex Garland seems to have jumped the shark already

Why shove your head into the alligator mouth even if it’s dead? What if your weak-armed female companion lets go of the head?

Worth noting it's a trailer and they gotta put people in the seats. Remember Drive? I saw an interview with the author saying the film was more surreal than than the book so I have some hope.

>Why shove your head into the alligator mouth even if it’s dead?
Because it's dead?

Yeah it’d probably smell like shit though, you could just reach your hand in to get the sample...

it's supposed to make little girls go "gross"

fuck off

I'm pretty interested honestly. Having the Ex Machina director doing something a la The Mist is a recipe for fun

>I saw an interview with the author saying the film was more surreal than than the book so I have some hope.
The books wouldn't work on screen without more overtly visual surrealness. Yeah, lots of weird shit goes down but a lot of it just isn't visual at all.

Natalie Portman is box office poison.

Were they all women in the book?

Yes

oh cool so it's not a Hollywood feminism cash grab

Nope

do they kill each other the descent style

Is this supposed to be all three books rolled into one film?

If so thats fucking stupid, what made the series cool was each was different in tone/structure

I was a huge fan of Alex Garland as a teen and was sad to see him abandon novels for Hollywood. But I've enjoyed everything he's had his hands in since then. Thanks OP, had no idea there was a new trailer.

Can you break down the concept/tone of the three books? I'm interested in seeing what the story's overall theme is aiming at.

No, just the first one

>women
lol

Annihilation book is GOAT.

But the sequels are kinda shit in comparison imo

Haha take it easy there. the previous expedition was all men

The book was awful, and the sequels unreadable.

I have zero hope this movie will be halfway decent.

The sequels were so fucking unnecessary.

Book 1: Stephen King meets House of Leaves in the worst ways

Book 2: John le Carre meets le literally who cares generic man with parent issues at spoopy Langley

Book 3: kys if you have any interest in it

Book 1 at least had some promise but was so utterly sloppy and dumb. Trilogy is an incoherent bore.

Better off running your face through a meat slicer than reading it.

Couldn't agree more my friend.

So what's the general plot here? Just a bunch of people disappeared in this mystery zone so we're investigating?

1. The book is shit

2. The casting is terrible

3. You can tell from the trailer it's not a close adaptation. That could be GOOD, considering the book.

4. The casting is REALLY bad. Not just Portman, but the second book in the series (which is the only decent one) features a character who is half hispanic. Handsome. Kind of arrogant but also kind of sad. Basically tailor written for Oscar Isaac.

That character is being played by some fat chinese guy in this movie and Oscar Isaac is playing the husband role which is essentially a completely nothing character from flashbacks.

Also, this really does just look like an adaptation of the first book. It doesn't seem like it's pitched as part of a trilogy.

The first book goes absolutely nowhere, and going by the casting and trailers, they aren't rolling in parts from the other books, so this is going to be interesting. Wonder if he just completely made up a new ending or something.

Mystery zone appears. Gov organization sends expeditions in "past the border" to explore/collect data. Also it (area x) is slowly expanding

>The Mist

eh, if it's like the book, it's more like Stalker via tumblr.

The first book follows the Portman character and an all woman team who go on the mission. The women are all backstabbing unpleasant cunts, especially Portman's character.

The second book follows a dude, who is undermined by strong independent women, who turn out just to be cunts.

The third book follows both of them and another woman who is a cunt.

I flew through 1 and really enjoyed it. 2 took me twice as long to read because it's mostly an unnecessary slog.

I've been working on 3 for a couple weeks now. Can't even force myself to finish it. 2&3 should never have been written imo one is fine. Fuck people who need answers for everything.

>Plot

That's generous.

Le Spooky Stalker like area appears. If you go in spoopy shit happens. There's a pretentious poet giant Lovecraftian monster who makes portals, but no one goes through them because that would be too interesting.

There are clones of people running around, and they have autism.

Nothing is really resolved or elaborated on.

Why is Hershalg even doing this?

Shekels

>steal roadside picnic but make it germs
>steal stalker but put in the exact dishonest film making tarkovsky hated
>add in all women ghost buster squad

(((American creativity))) everyone

She's fertilizer for my dick, though.

Big director/writer coming off the back of a great film. Best selling book. Great cast.

On paper this would be a no brainer to take on as an actress.

The finished film...who knows at this point.

series sucked. this movie's all that's going to matter.

Will be Sup Forums core?

>going straight to netflix internationally
hmm

cherry blossom antlers look dope af

Starship Troopers is pure reddit

WTF i'm a reddito now!

that's because the teaser trailer was one of those masterfcully crafted trailers that doesn't tell you anything about the movie so it looks like the most sophisticated shit ever. Like that thing about the kid genius that came out earlier this year.

This is actually pretty accurate. The first was interesting but badly executed. The rest sucked.
The movie could go either way. The fact that it appears to be diverging from the book isn't really that much of a problem given the book was a good idea in a shitty package.