What's your opinion on Rugrats, Sup Forums? Was always a big fan of late 90s/early 2000s Nick/CN as a kid...

What's your opinion on Rugrats, Sup Forums? Was always a big fan of late 90s/early 2000s Nick/CN as a kid, but I always passionately hated this show.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X5O_GPV7qLk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

early seasons were good cause it focused more on the parents

then it just became a rehash of the same shit over and over again and this show about babies became a show for babies

The animators are pretty adamant that they didn't want to make it cute, so I understand why it could be a challenging show to enjoy.
But as a show about the messiness and ugliness and ambiguity of life, about how kids aren't helpless and innocent and adults don't have a much better handle on life, it's pretty good.
Especially the pre-movie episodes.

I binged it while on a depression kick and it was cozy as fuck.

otherwise meh tier cartoon

It was ok when i was a kid. Even had the ps1 game.

I liked Doug better

It was one of my favorite Nick shows growing up. At least until Dil showed up and all that other shit. I haven't seen it in a long ass friggin time so I don't know how well I'll be able to articulate why, but I really liked the dual narrative of the child and adult perspectives. It managed to be an imaginative fantasy romp and a suburban slice of life at the same time (a real slice of life, not that goofy shit that Japan and Japanophiles try to pass as slice of life).

I actually admittedly enjoyed the Rugrats movies. I think when you have a show with a somewhat realistic premise (a bunch of young parents and their curious kids) heartfelt moments that are usually forced into typical kids films actually work very well through Rugrats because they hit close to home.

>trips

Doug is the superior show confirmed

The movies are okay, I just meant that the TV show got a bit bland after the movies

I remember half the Kimi-era episodes were the Rugrats fucking up some guys' life because they wanted to go exploring. Like one episode where a librarian just wanted to read a book about a caterpillar to little kids, but the Rugrats ended up wrecking the entire library and he got fired.

I enjoyed the show, even after Dil and Kimi were introduced. It had it's ups and downs post movie but definitely not a bad show. Heck, the Babies in Toyland episode is a must watch for me during the Christmas season (just wish the Halloween episode was as good as that one) .

Much like Spongebob, it should have ended at Season 3 (it technically did anyway). No movie, though. I'll make an exception for the Hanukkah special as the only post-3 material that should have existed.

>a librarian just wanted to read a book about a caterpillar to little kids, but the Rugrats ended up wrecking the entire library and he got fired
Christ, what little shits.

Whether or not it was intentional, the art was very unappealing. I remember tuning away whenever I encountered this show with the exception of two episodes. I reacted much more impulsively as a kid and I don't doubt I missed some good cartoons this way, but ugly art made me uncomfortable. I swear even today, looking at this makes me think of dried spit and sour milk.

>implying 5 wasn't Spongebob's prime

youtube.com/watch?v=X5O_GPV7qLk

Pretty good

Was born in 1990 so I literally grew up with it.
Loved the show, though I did notice I was less entertained by newer episodes sometime after the first movie and onward.

Then they made All Grown Up and I started to gravitate to that more since it felt like they put more effort into writing that, now. But even that I lost interest in fast cause it was teen drama and I wanted more comedy/action stuff.

>tfw the guy from DEVO made the soundtrack

Really well directed pre-movie.

If you grew up during the late 90s rather than the early 90s, you probably saw a lot of the later episodes (which tend to incorrectly get labeled as "post-movie", even though there was an entire season of them before the movie). Those were rubbish clearly aimed at a younger audience than the early episodes.