What went so horribly wrong?

>best cartoon cartoon CN had at the time
>literally millions of people worldwide love them
>backpacks, T-shirts, shit whatever you can think of was being sold with this three little girls on it
>total box office bomb, to the point that it put CN in a serious financial issue and ended PPG as we know it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xCTcUUYCoBk
youtube.com/watch?v=ick7CTjVsyM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Horribly underpromoted, and it got crushed in the competition by Like Mike and Men in Black II, both of which came out that same weekend.

Warner Animation can't into films. Sad, because this one is great.

Honestly? I have no fucking clue.

Movie was incredible, too. And it's competition?
Fucking sucked. And I remember seeing adds fucking everywhere. So really I don't know how they fucked up this badly.

Honestly? Might have been parents refusing to take their children to see it. They probably thought it was too violent for girls and too girly for boys. I remember my dad used to laugh at me for watching it, and still to this day cites it as an example of me watching a girl show, so maybe it's own mold breaking shot it in the foot.

THAT'S

WHAT

GIRLS

DO

Yeah, but to the point that BARELY made any money back? One thing is that you have competition but another thing is that hardly anyone went to see your movie
I felt that the story was a little bit rushed, like the attachment of the girls to the professor and viceversa but, eh its OK i guess i still liked it

Your dad is a pleb, PPG is cartoonkino.

My dad is a pleb. He still refuses to acknowledge animation as anything but cartoons for kids, despite enjoying several "kids" movies I've showed him before.

Then again him and my mom are the type of people you always hear liking shit like Grown Ups and Paul Blart, so I'm already barking up the wrong tree here.

Classic Baby Boomers.

To add to that, the promotion that it did get made it seem like that it was more girl-oriented, so much so that potential male newcomers would be turned off of it despite it being more than what it seems.

That being a good example.
Even the show made fun of the whole "Girl power" stigma, but it was completely played straight in the promotions for the movie.

>violent superhero show
>can't talk to people about watching it without getting called a fag

Fuck this gay Earth.

>There will never be a collection of critically acclaimed, financially successful, theatrical comfy CN movies

Jaysus Christ, why even live?

It's an origins episode where it takes the PPG 40 minutes to finally land a punch. It's also a 60 minute "movie" instead of a respectful 90-120 minute one.

Because it's an origins episode which we don't care about (Mojo Jojo is a shit villain and we already knew his backstory) we end up not caring about the PPG because the whole movie they're doing nothing but crying themselves to sleep and feeling miserable about being the new kids in town who don't know their strength.

Am I the only one with this argument?

Anyway I think the problem was obviously the script and if we had a movie made for the people who already watched the show then we could cut the bullcrap and start pitying the girls against HIM instead of that ugly green monkey or the gangreen gang.

Maybe Boogeyman, the zombie magician and the entirety of Monster Island. Don't forget post-apocalyptic words, time travel, space travel, blood noses, Deathstar explosions. The rowdyruffboys or the punk girls from the comic books.
Instead we get stuck with Mojo, the most boring villain ever next to the Amoeba boys. His "turn the PPG to dogs 2.0" episode was just a pain to sit through.

The girls do go at one point in space, but they only go there to weep and cry about how daddy doesn't love them anymore. Give me a break.
That's not what I watched the Power Puff Girls for.

I watched the PPG for everything they wouldn't allow on TV and the parents of 8 year olds would cover their kid's eyes and get them out of the theater by force.
youtube.com/watch?v=xCTcUUYCoBk

>Storytelling quality is determined not by emotional content, but by how much kewl stuff you can cram in
You have actual plebeian taste, mon ami.

>total box office bomb, to the point that it put CN in a serious financial issue and ended PPG as we know it
No it didn't. It actually made a profit, just way lower than expected.

>Instead we get stuck with Mojo, the most boring villain ever next to the Amoeba boys.

what the FUCK am i reading

Fine, let's switch scripts. You take PPG movie's script and I take Dexter's Laboratory movie's script. :^)

Fuck off Max

The truth, monkey.

It was a prequel/origin story.

No one cared.

What went so terribly good?
>>best cartoon cartoon CN had at the time
>literally millions of people worldwide love him.
>Was a better show and a better movie than the Power Puff Girls.

Didn't most of the critics bash this film into oblivion too. That might have helped in its failure.

Also, I think the show was still running around that point. And it already explained the origins in the opening. So I don't think people were really clamoring for a longer version of it.

Honestly, both Dexter and The Powerpuff Girls were equal on quality with each other, even though I like PPG a little more. Both shows were basically the most popular shows Cartoon Network had at the time, along with Dragon Ball Z, Scooby-Doo, Tom and Jerry, and Looney Tunes

This is right, you know.

I honestly think that the movie lacked backstory and depth into the characters, i think the same as you, i liked the action and the blending of the comedy in the show but i think that in the movie, if they were going to go for the prequel thing the writers and animators should have shown us a more decadent and desperate Townsville, like what specifically drives the professor to make the perfect little girl
I don't know if im expressing myself right

> should have shown us a more decadent and desperate Townsville, like what specifically drives the professor to make the perfect little girl
At first you think the professor wants to create heroes to stop the scum and villainy from townsville, especially after he gets beaten by the gangreen gang and looks at townsville saying something about hanging in there.

But then he starts falling in love with the girls, giving them birthday presents, getting them to school, treating them like average normal little girls(which the cartoon show kept hinting at, especially that Feel Me Gnomey episode).

Then the PPG destroy half the town more than their giant ultrabot and the cops gets right on it, despite all the villainy floating around.

I've heard Siskel and Ebert reviewed it in the show and they both hated it. I wish I could find the episode tho.

Oh you mean the Mojo Jojo movie, not the PPG movie.

Seriously they might as well make a movie about Fuzzy Lumpkin.

As a child, I thought Dexter's Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls were about equal, but after rewatching as an adult, I notice a lot more flaws in the former than the latter. The former feels a lot more lolsorandom and isn't as deep.

I saw it with my parents but the real reason is 90% of the guys were too embarrassed to ask to go.

fuck that episode was disturbing

Aside from the lack of marketing, it was just an hour long TV special that somehow became a theatrical film. It did nothing to attract casual viewers who don't give a fuck about the cartoon.

Who?

You're complaining?

Mojo jojo is great as a funny villian, the problem is that they forgot to put humor in the movie

Craig's talked about this subject many times. CN was experimenting with trying to appeal to older audiences. During production, new executives came in and did not want that direction. They purposely did not market the movie so it would sink. The end.

They forgot to add a coherent REASON behind everything
What could have been a good movie with an interesting plot about how morally destroyed, and sunk in crime Townsville was they rushed up too fast to the point of creating the girls.
They also should've presented us more affection and interaction between characters, i mean we have the series and OK but how are we supposed to know what happened between them bein complete freaks to the loved saviors that they are in the series?
Seriously this had a LOT of potential, it is completely an animated shame

Just sounds like you want some edgy movie and thats not what the ppg were either

Also
>Actually wanting a movie with the rowdyruffboys instead

You can't be serious

But why did they bash the film?
It was a pretty good movie

CN was something I watched when I came home from school, not some shit I went to the cinema for.

Anyone remember this promo for the movie?
youtube.com/watch?v=ick7CTjVsyM
Shit was bizarre.