New Wonder Woman Writer is Shea Fontana

>Shea Fontana will take over the title in July, following a critically acclaimed run by writer Greg Rucka.
>She's already proven herself as the writer responsible for the lives of DC Entertainment's DC Super Hero Girls, and this summer, Shea Fontana is stepping up to the big leagues — or the Justice League, at least — as the new writer on DC's ongoing Wonder Woman series.

>Fontana has signed on to write five issues of the twice-monthly series for the heroine, beginning with July's No. 26, with a storyline that will introduce a new villain into the DC Universe. The move comes fresh off the success of her DC Super Hero Girls work (in addition to two graphic novels to date, she's also written animated adventures and a digital comic series for the property).
>"Having worked on DC Super Hero Girls for the last few years, I have a great sense of Wondy, a teenage Wonder Woman in a high school setting, and it's an honor and an adrenaline rush to be writing her now 'all grown up,'" Fontana said in a statement from the publisher. "Many of her core characteristics continue to remain routed in peace, justice and equality, but as an adult she’s seen a lot more war and tragedy, and is dealing with her world from a wiser, more experienced point of view."

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-super-hero-girls-writer-takes-wonder-woman-summer-993490?utm_source=twitter
dccomics.com/talent/shea-fontana
dccomics.com/blog/2017/03/29/dc-reveals-covers-for-‘wonder-woman-day’-special-edition-comics
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>The artist for Fontana's first two issues will be Mirka Andolfo, whose work has previously appeared in the DC Comics: Bombshells series.

>Calling the chance to collaborate with Andolfo "a delight," Fontana added that the artist "has an incredible visual storytelling talent to create cinematic superhero action sequences while capturing the complexity of the characters' emotions [and] maintaining a clear focus on the evolving relationships between characters."

>The pair will follow a critically acclaimed run by writer Greg Rucka and artists Liam Sharp, Nicola Scott and Bilquis Evily. Announcing his departure Wednesday, Rucka wrote that his final issue will "set a table for who is to follow, and provide for them as much room to work and explore and grow. Diana's future is bright, that's what I'm saying."

>Fontana and Andolfo's first issue of Wonder Woman, No. 26, will be released in comic stores and digitally July 12, with No. 27 released July 26.

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-super-hero-girls-writer-takes-wonder-woman-summer-993490?utm_source=twitter

So, who is going to replace her after the five issues?

Wait DC used a smaller book to see if someone has chops and test them out before putting them on something bigger?

That doesn't sound like DC

>introduce a new villain into the DC Universe.
Every damn Wonder Woman writer does this. This is why her rogues are a mess

>This is why her rogues are a mess
I thought it was because she killed them all.

Phil Jimenez will have another go

She writes all of the webshow and movies. The only thing she doesn't write is the books.

My two suggestions have been Andreyko or Valentine. The current artist on Valentine's Xena would also be very appropriate.

Probably the best choice, since he's only understood Wondie more and more as time goes on and he's still disappointed about the editorial meddling in his own run.

Please don't talk about comics you've never even read. Every single Wondie run has tackled her classic villains, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with creating new villains when literally every run of EVERYTHING does that.

Also don't try to parrot that bullshit about every run trying to reinvent her or her having no consistent supporting cast.

Johns pls

Geoff johns excuse for why they always dissapear each time a new writer shows up

New artist seems nice
> Fuck Prude Rucka Intensifies!

Yup, sure is a total prude.

DC Super Hero Girls is an incredibly well received book; one of the few comics for kids that actually sells to them. I've no problems with the choice as long as she's able to adapt to the book, which I think she will.

>Devastation
>Rucka's Veronica Cale
>Simone's Genocide
>JMS' Morrigan
>Azzarello's First Born

And nobody else ever uses them after the writer leaves

Oh shit, I didn't realise this was posted in that other "Rucka is off" thread. My bad

Mirka is a pretty big pick-up, has a bunch of eurocomics IIRC.

>Andreyko

Well, Diana does already have a villain who can mind-control people into thinking they are other people and sleeping with them, so he is a good fit

He thought the bottoms she has had for 70 plus years obscured slightly by the battle skirt was too sexual & a "panty shot" despite it covering virtually her whole cheek.

Was it actually any good? I remember watching one bit, which was dull, but I'm not exactly the target demo.

Actualky he just hated Frank Cho senpai.

Anyway you are right, MA's comics look like pure sex.

actually, most of her works are American Capecomics-

she started as colourist at Disney Italy, then published an independent comic based on a series of webcomics she did which apparently gopt her noticed by Marvel and especially DC who got her fisrt for covers then for various books as fill-in artist.
I think Bombshells is her only regular book?

She kept making her own independent comics, though, even starting a new one with Panini Comics- she stated last week said book was going to be late and out in Autumn and not next month because she hurt her hand, though.

That said, she's the artist behind Rapeface!Kamala

Is that the shot when Kamala jumps into that girls bedroom?

I don't dislike the idea of giving Wondy new villains but it always feels like they always toss her actual rogues gallery off to the wayside.

Someone needs to do for her what Geoff Johns did for Green Lantern.

It's good but it's for little kids under the age of 10 so there's not much there for older people.

This. He also just generally doesn't want Wondie to be depicted buff and constantly brandishing weapons, which Cho probably vehemently disagrees with.

Cho's a great artist with the best cheesecake out there but he doesn't fit with Wonder Woman at all.

Still Rucka's wrong for wanting Diana's sexuality to be downplayed, it's an absolutely essential part of the character. Part of why I love Jiminez so much, he gets Wondie more than literally anyone in the biz right now.

Yes, and how is that any different from any other run on any character ever?

>Nobody from Tomasi's B&R
>Wraith from Snyer's Supermain Unchained
>Girder, Peek-a-Boo, Cicada, and Murmur from Johns' Flash

Batman alone has more forgotten villains than most other characters have villains period.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with creating original villains, everyone does it and always have.

Every Wondie run has Cheetah and Circe and most have Ares/Mars, Dr. Psycho and Silver Swan.

>Someone needs to do for her what Geoff Johns did for Green Lantern.
Jesus fucking christ no.

Also ironic you're asking for someone to come in, throw out all of her existing villains and create a bunch of OC ones for her, which is what Johns did for GL.

>Every Wondie run has Cheetah and Circe and most have Ares/Mars, Dr. Psycho and Silver Swan.
Eh.

>Also ironic you're asking for someone to come in, throw out all of her existing villains and create a bunch of OC ones for her, which is what Johns did for GL.
He reused a lot of older villains no one cared for in new, cool ways, made them frightening and intimidating again, and repurposed some others as well.

>but he doesn't fit with Wonder Woman at all.
Oh fuck off, he draws her fucking perfectly.
And fits perfect for action & mythology oriented arcs.

yes

Maybe because those characters were shit

And what makes you think whoever Fontana creates won't be shit?

Tell me, Sup Forums. With how much every writer changes and undoes/redoes wondie, do you have your own version of how her and her universe should work and progress?

I do.

>Shea Fontana

10/10 would wife.

the artist for those variant covers is really good
hope she doesn't leave

>Mirka Andolfo
8/10 would nerd.

Jenny Frisson. If the rumours are true that Gail Simone is being courted (again), then Frisson will probably stay. She has drawn the covers for every issue of Simone's Clean Room

Does she have any credits to her name other than children's series? I'm a bit worried by that.

dccomics.com/talent/shea-fontana same

It's 5 issues so it might be worth a shot, a short lighter tone arc could be nice

It's only for 5 issues so the REAL writer and artists can get more in the backlog in prep for double shipping

it's crazy that for when the Wonder Woman movie is out in theaters, we'll be having one team leave and filler team take over.

you would think DC/WB would have put some of the big guns on the book.

No, she's only written for pre-schoolers and little kids. I mean the only notable thing she's written that isn't DC Superhero Girls, is Doc Mcstuffins.

dccomics.com/blog/2017/03/29/dc-reveals-covers-for-‘wonder-woman-day’-special-edition-comics

They're advertising their comics, at least.

Can we get a new writer in Action Comics because Jurgens is mediocre.

>Announcing his departure Wednesday, Rucka wrote that his final issue will "set a table for who is to follow, and provide for them as much room to work and explore and grow. Diana's future is bright, that's what I'm saying."

>The artist for Fontana's first two issues will be Mirka Andolfo

So, this is the end of the Skelenton Wonder era?
I'm finally going to buy WW comics again?

When does G. Willow Wilson's Marvel exclusive end exactly?

Oh god no. She's a one hit wonder at best and Ms Marvel is awful now

Only if you're a Marvelfag.

Looks like it'll be Gail Simone after her. At this rate, we'll have Messner-Loebs and Byrne in the next five years.

Pretty interesting. Hope she's another Fisch (good at both kid stuff and more mature stuff).

Maybe WW is shifting focus and trying to edge in on the Champion's audience?

Her Vixen mini was fine

If WW is still under the bat editorial, hopefully the bad taste from her time on Batgirl keeps her away.

>Shea Fontana
Kinda disappointed. Hoped for someone better.

I stopped following Wondy after the Azz run ended and it was replaced with that garbage husband and wife team or whatever.

Was Rucka's run really great? When did he start?

Actually, Nobody's daughter appeared in DCYou's Robin series and recently in the current Superman book. I hope she shows up in Super Sons.

>They ignore it and start retconing everything they don't want

The Wonder Woman cycle continues

>Mirka Andolfo

YESSSSSSS. I love her art in Bombshells

Like who? Seriously who? She's fine for what she is: Filler until DC gets a better team or people like her enough to keep her.

Time to get bullied.

They put out a Vol 1 and one called Year One around the time for the movie, she's fine.

Where is Evely going? She's fucking fantastic but has been stuck with mediocre scripts. Please let her work with good writers.

>DC changes the cover artist for Bombshells
>one guy doing them all up until this one

This upsets me desu

>Shea Fontana will take over the title in July, following a critically acclaimed run by writer Greg Rucka.
>She's already proven herself as the writer responsible for the lives of DC Entertainment's DC Super Hero Girls

Oh, Jesus Christ. That's like saying the writer for G3 MLP has proven herself capable of directing the live-action Luther Strode movie.

Actually Bombshells, at least the digital weekly version of the book, have had different cover artists throught its run.

Azz closed the book on the First Born himself.

>>Simone's Genocide
Oh god, don't remind me. I love Simone but this was pure shit. It all started off so awesome with Beowulf

>Wraith from Snyer's Supermain Unchained

Didn't he die senpai?

I did exactly the same but picked up with Rucka again. It has been ... OK. Not even close to his past run. The plot points and action seem pale compared to the flair with which they gay. You can skip but is decent comic in era of bad comics.

Gay importance is driving me away from comics in general. Gays are people. Yeah, no shit. Gays have rights. YEAH, NO SHIT!! Gayness is so fucking important.

She also writes the graphic novels for DCSHG.

Shea Fontana writes an okay Wonder Woman in DC Superhero Girls. I'm excited to see how she writes a normal version of Wonder Woman. At the same time I'm worried cause Shea is still new to writing comics. Writing the graphic novels for DC Superhero Girls is her first time writing comics. She's mostly writes for cartoons.

"critically acclaimed run by Rucka"

:^)

Is she a feminist?

This is becoming disturbingly more and more relevant , later.

They obviously weren't expecting Rucka to drop out

Not trying to Sup Forums it up but would it be a bit awkward for a Muslim to write a series that is so involved with pagan gods?

>Nobody from Tomasi's B&R
Damian killed the guy, user.

>feminist writer
>writing an inherently feminist character

Oh shit, maybe next they'll hire a crime writer to write Batman, or someone who understands technology to write Iron Man, how terrible.

DC did it to Evely

Wonder Woman is an inherently female domination-fetish character. Marston wanted men to submit to women which isn't really codified in any wave.

what audience?

he's just trapped, that a lot less than most comic book 'deaths'

She's primarily a pre-school or little kids writer. It's not likely she's going to shove politics in her book.

>t.TRIGGERED