Western SoL

Why is there such a lack of SoL and romance comics?

Other urls found in this thread:

bato.to/comic/_/comics/karakai-jouzu-no-takagi-san-r13108
twitter.com/udon0531
pixiv.net/member.php?id=61937
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There isn't. The Big Two just don't publish them. Go look at indie published stuff or webcomics (or Archie) and you'll find plenty... and shockingly, it doesn't all feature same-faced 12-year-olds.

They do. Marvel and DC don't publish them. Usually they're really shallow, but talk about a deep topic to mask it. Or they'll just be about fags and bash a conservative ideal. The gay stuff is really just fetish shit that nobody has the balls to really do.

You can read early Spider-Man which was about a young conservative learning about his responsibility to his home. Peter was a fucking asshole.

go read Giant Days, or Dad (it's european but translated)

They're fairly decent.

the problem is that you aren't looking for them, cause they are definitely out there. Out of all vaguely hidden "east > west" threads popping up here, this has to be the oddest

Indie/web comics are like 80% SoL
I recommend Eye of the Majestic Creature and My Favorite Thing is Monsters

Does The Loud House qualify as SOL? Maybe if you ignore the Dexter's Laboratory girl...

Does Steven Universe qualify as SOL? Maybe if you ignore the Crystal Gems and other Aliens...

Mainstream american comics don't really hit the wide demographic that Japan does. Even popular independent comics are rife with genre fiction over anything else.

You're looking for Fantagraphics, Drawn & Quarterly, Koyama Press, etc. It's not hard to find but you're not going to find it on Sup Forums.

keep lurking

Why do you want to read a sjw romance comic?

Most western web-comics are comedic SOL, 4-koma with a different layout basically.

Women are primarily interested in romance comics, but there isn't anyone to create them in the West. The combination of artistic + female is usually a person who views traditional male/female relationships as "problematic". So forms of romance with mainstream appeal are absent in most Western comics about love or sex.

of course there are exceptions (as with pretty much all human behavior you insufferable "that's a generalization!" assholes). The exceptions are too few, so OP's statement about romance comics is still true.

Area's Between Friends is one of those exceptions. Female artist drawing a NSFW comic about romance and foreplay. No poly, no homo, no trans, no queer, no politics, etc. Just vanilla sexuality and romance.

Octopus Pie is ending, now's a good time to binge.

It's one of THE most consistent long-running comic I know aside from Scary Go Round.

SoL is a nip thing.

Cuz you aren't looking hard enough/there's no market for reading shit you could do with your friends in real life

Because girls stopped reading them.

Google and iqdb give me nothing, source? Artist?

nah, there are plenty of Sup Forums SOLs. people just don't obsess over them

i too need sauce

it's by the same artist in op

King of the Hill is basically SoL

>SoL
American Splendor, although since you like anime SoL your brain is probably too small to appreciate stories about a 50 year old hospital clerk with cancer.
>romance
Love and Rockets
Strangers in Paradise

But be warned, the characters in these comics have real, identifiable emotions that may be too much for someone used to SoL anime.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
bato.to/comic/_/comics/karakai-jouzu-no-takagi-san-r13108

Author's twitter: twitter.com/udon0531
Pixiv: pixiv.net/member.php?id=61937

His twitter is in japanese, but so worth following for the art. Not lewd, but such an appealing art style

There used to be lots and lots of these from the 20's to the 70's but then they stopped when the silver age heroes got to be the biggest thing in comics.

There were almost as many girls comics at the time too

Thank you user. It's very appealing

Probably but it's horrible SoL. Especially recently

>Slice of life
500 km per second
Giant Days
Ghost World
Shortcuts
The Rabbi's Cat
Back to Basics
Vampire Lovers
This One Summer

I was gonna make a separate list, but many of the ones i listed have romance as well, so i will just leave it at that.

>*shortcuts
Messed up, the name of the comics is Shortcomings not Shortcuts.

By that logic, you could say almost any cartoon is a SOL if it isnt explicitly action.

But there is alot great SOL anime and manga. People always dismiss it as that it only is just cute girls doing cute things even though it is not true

it's because of the fucking comics code and lack of widely published (as in super-market checkout isle newstand) comic anthologies.

Anthologies are a key thing here because they allow for new content to be created and "tried out" rather than only recycling the same brands and characters over and over again

>It's another "Sup Forums is so uncultured that they can't even make jabs based on facts or reality" episode

WHO GAVE YOU PERMISSION TO POST MY DAUGHTER

I don't know what shit outa luck means and I'm tired of googling your shitty japanophile fetishes. No, I'm not asking you to tell me because I don't care.

Since OP posted a rom-com manga we can assume he's not looking for the strict definition of slice-of-life. Just mention some gag strips.

feet

>Why is there such a lack of SoL and romance comics?

Because unlike Japan, the majority of westerners aren't undersexed, socially stunted autists.

Yeah -- they're oversexed, emotionally stunted psychopaths!

>oversexed
Good one. /sarcasm
>emotionally stunted
Negro have you been to a local Wal-Mart? You can't go 5 minutes without a fight, argument or someone crying.
>psychopaths!
Nice use of an exclamation point, you really got your point across.

>tfw no one will ever look at you like this

There is nothing wrong with SOL. It is great genre

Nigga are you stupid? You can't detect his sarcasm? Sure he wasn't witty enough to type /sarcasm like you but damn, it seemed pretty obvious.

It exists but not in comics, it's more present on cartoons aimed at children.

I first came across this, I dunno when, but I started reading it for the humor. It was genuinely entertaining. Now I read it for the blue balling sadomasochism.

There used to be a time when romance comics were big because they were marketed towards girls. But they weren't interesting and girls started becoming more interested in superhero comics especially since more female heroes started getting page space. In the 60s the market for romance comics collapsed. There are still some people making them but it's definitely a niche market.

>SoL
Calvin and Hobbes. You're welcome.

No one in the west like SOL

The problem would rather be to find a western SoL without some hamfisted drama.

Does batoto have sn extremely shitty web design or do they really only have 2 chapters of that mango?

Because slice of life sucks.

>Talks about blowing Flash's brains out.

>Beats up the Fantastic Four because he thinks they have money.

>Yells at someone for getting shot.

Peter was a fucking savage as a teenager.

It's normal for girls and young women to read comics in Japan. It's not normal in the West. That kind of demand doesn't pop up overnight.

Apart from that, men in Japan are accustomed to regard young women in an affectionate way. In the West you either ignore them or want to have sex with them. A character like Chiyo from Azumanga would be considered pedophile-bait. This diminishes cross-gender appeal, because everything's so fussily dick-oriented.

Giant Days is cute and legit the best book currently going.

So Japan do better, action, drama, sci fi, romance and everything else better than the west... why do people read western comics then?

Is this a lesbian joke?
This is an honest question

I'm more interested in finding long series that aren't superhero/fantacy/sci-fi or indie SoL where everyone's an asshole. More stuff like Urasawa.

>Is this a lesbian joke?
>This is an honest question
Well, it isn't much of a joke, but yes.

Perhaps it is just inexperience with them, but I get the idea that French comics tend to be fairly good with SoL situations.

Yes, and so is this.

Technically all comics are slice of life.

Most of them are just lives more exciting than yours.

>Usually they're really shallow, but talk about a deep topic to mask it. Or they'll just be about fags and bash a conservative ideal. The gay stuff is really just fetish shit that nobody has the balls to really do.

So like the eastern stuff, got it.

>Octopus Pie is ending
Holy shit!
Haven't read this in about 2 year, letting it build up
So i guess it is time to get back to it.

Also 10 more webcomics to pic back up

Nope. It is best genre

I dont think japan does that at all in SOL manga or anime

Is this more romance of SOL?
i would consider SOL

>middle school
>draw characters as children

What did the author mean by this?

Blaster Nation and Devil's Candy are fucking great westen SoL

>nobody look at the sink. that makes the plumbing go hot.

Fuck, I've lived in that apartment.

>and lack of widely published (as in super-market checkout isle newstand) comic anthologies.

could checkout aisle comics ever make a comeback? I read most of my shit digitally nowadays but if America had its own version of Shonen Jump I'd probably pick one up every month.

Dark Horse Presents, Cinema Purgatorio, Image+, Heavy Metal, 2000AD, Drawn & Quaterly.

Cinema has a wonky schedule, I'll give you that, but it's not like anthologies doesn't exist.

Best Post

>this thread
>almost no mention of Archie aside from

Probably the oldest SoL comic series in America.

>and lack of widely published (as in super-market checkout isle newstand) comic anthologies.

could checkout aisle comics ever make a comeback? I read most of my shit digitally nowadays but if America had its own version of Shonen Jump I'd probably pick one up every month.

Slice of life is shit, fampai

Shit taste

Not enough animu moeblobs for these faggots

Hey i just like cute girls but i also like manly men too