King on New Gods

Are you ready for existential angst on New Genesis Sup Forums?

Yes. Yes I am.

Is that really Gerards? He's not a good fit for New Gods. Also fuck them for not getting on Sheriff of Babylon.

Kirby's own material isn't canon to the New Gods righr now. So fuck all new comers.

This seems like something King actually wants to write so I'm interested. It feels like DC offered him Batman and he went with it because it's writing DC's biggest book.

Let them take their time with Sheriff. The monthly grind isn't good for that type of comic.

Delicious

I think the biggest problem with Batman is that he has no end in sight. So far all his other comics he had a story with a beginning and an end in mind and that's something a character focused writer like king always needs. You cant' have a meaningful character arc for a static character like Batman.

Doing other projects together isn't "taking their time". Also, it's been half a year since it ended. If this series will be 12 issues then that;s a year, then you get another half a year between projects so that means there will be 2 years between the first Sheriff series and the second. That's fucking retarded.

Look at the helmet, it's different than the new52 one. Also given how much of a continuityfag King is and the general vibe of Rebirth, I think it's safe to say we're back to the original story.

New Gods aren't really effected by Flashpoint.

Only Morrison writes them like that. After Johns continued raping them with Darkseid War and considering Johns is in charge...

This is honestly really exciting. A New Gods series was my most wanted comic from DC for a while now, and Tom King is one of my favorite current writers. Love Gerads' art too. This is exactly what I've been asking for.

DC's celebration of Kirby this year is looking really great with this, Kamandi, and Forager.

Don't forget the big fucking omnibus reprint

From the getgo we had a new Orion in Wonder Woman and Big Barda and Scott appearing on a Earth for the first time in Earth 2. Kirby's own run was scraped.

>we had a new Orion in Wonder Woman
Shit
>Big Barda and Scott appearing on a Earth for the first time in Earth 2
One page cameo

This feels right.

I am hopeful away from the big franchise Batman we can get back to Omega Men/Vision-tier King.

I feel like King is a perfect writer for Orion's character. I'm very interested in seeing how he works on him, and the rest of the New Gods pantheon.

What kind of focus would you all want? A larger-scale, New Genesis series? An Orion & Friends book? Jimmy Olson the viewpoint character?

Honestly, I'd prefer small-scale focus and personal stakes. And boy would I love to see some meaningful depth and emotional exploration, which is generally rare for the big two.

I hope this is a true succesor to omega men and vision in terms of quality

The lack of shit posts suggests a good thread. Also what comics would you recommend of this guy?

I've been waiting for some genuine focus on the smaller, more one-off New Gods like Lonar, Forager or Fastbak.

Speaking of, that Bug! series by the Allred Family answered a good part of that prayer immensely. A classic, pop-art romp through the bizarre corners of the DCU with Forager, maybe developing the societal schisms between the New Genesis gods and the Bugs is just divine.

I really hope it's not as pretentious as all these quotes he's posting on twitter make it out to be.

not too big on king's batman, but if omega men is anything to go by a news god book by him will be amazing

Vision
The Omega Men
The Darkseid War GL special

Omega Men and Vision both had 'pretentious' quotes

Forager looks stupid. I hate Allred's shitty wowza style no substance humor shtick of holy molly type expressions and lame jokes. It seems that after raping the Silver Surfer he's back to raping some more Kirby characters. His art's great though.

A New Gods book is a fine place for pretension.

Jack Kirby's Fourth World saga, which is comprised of his run on Jimmy Olson Superman's Pal, The New Gods, The Forever People and Mister Miracle.

JLA by Grant "G-Money" Morrison

Orion by Walter Simonson

and he also has a pretty good supporting role in Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman.

That looks like some Sienkiewicz stuff to me. Definitely not Gerads unless he's done a complete style overhaul

I wasn't convinced it was Gerads from the previous teaser either, too stylized and not overly referenced and stiff like his work usually is

And their tones aren't right for New Gods.

>A New Gods book is a fine place for pretension.

I'm not going to get my sweet, cute, optimistic Barda x Scott, am I?

>and he also has a pretty good supporting role in Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman.
Fuck you he was terrible. A pathetic manchild.

Vision. It's probably the best marvel book in the past 20 years.
Sheriff of Babylon. If you wanna read about the war in Iraq.
Omega men. If you wanna read about the war in Iraq in spaaaaaaaaaaaaace.
Grayson which he co-wrote with Tim Seeley, though his solo issues were a highlight.

meant to reply to

Morrison wrote the original New Gods as being recovering in Earth-51, separate from the New 52 versions. Although who knows if anyone else will follow up on that.

This looks fairly stiff to me, but it's scratchier and the coloring is definitely not what Gerards' stuff usually looks like.

>It seems that after raping the Silver Surfer he's back to raping some more Kirby characters. His art's great though.

Silver Surfer is being written by Dan Slott. You're right about Slott fucking Norrin up, though. God damn do I want to Marvel Method that book and just strip it of all text and start from the artwork and go from there.

Can't do anything about the Doctor Who tier sidekick though.

What's wrong with trying to be grandiose in a book about cosmic gods that war on a realm higher than reality?

Orion's whole schitck is having a super short temper and being all kinds of brash and emotion-driven. The very first issue of New Gods is him running off on his own to fight Apokolips out of anger. How was his characterization by Azz improper?

I don't see how that negates anything he said.

>Vision. It's probably the best marvel book in the past 20 years.
Fuck off with this shit.

>What's wrong with trying to be grandiose in a book about cosmic gods that war on a realm higher than reality?

You can be grandiose without being angsty and needlessly introspective. Kirby himself did that.

I'm sorry that my opinions are different than yours.

>that quote
Ah, so King is going is full pretentious mode for all the pseudo intellectuals. Fuck yeah, at least this series won't be boring as fuck.

Viz was really damn good, definitely a contender for best Marvel book this decade (2010+), but it certainly has competition. Si Spurrier's X-Men Legacy, for example.

"Angsty" and "needlessly introspective" can be done well too. Pic related.

Quick Sup Forums what dark aspect of King's history/personality will he map onto a B-List character?

Vision was existenalism
Omega Men was idealism/reality
Grayson is closeted gayness

What can he do with Orion? Something involving worship or strength?

>God damn do I want to Marvel Method that book and just strip it of all text and start from the artwork and go from there.
Maybe they are. You think Allred would still be on that comic if he wasn't satisfied with eh writing? I saw a tweet from him calling Slot a fucking genius. He just likes that shitty type of writing, iZombie was like that too, and Madman also. The only thing drawn by him that I liekd was X-Statix, rest have been a waste of good art.

>hurr opinions
Seriously eat a dick

You just have shit taste, bro. Madman is fucking great.

>What can he do with Orion? Something involving worship or strength?

A desire to do good merged with rage against an evil so imposing it is monolithic.

No, Kirby's Orion wasn't annoying and stupid. He had anger issues, but he also had friends and was above all A WARRIOR. Azz Orion was Diana's bitch and overly obnoxious.

>I saw a tweet from him calling Slot a fucking genius.

Because he has class and you don't insult your co-creators on twitter if you're an actual professional.

>Grayson is closeted gayness

no just husbandoism

Grayson until the original team leaves
Darkseid War: Green Lantern
Vision
Omega Men
Sheriff of Babylon
I'm recommending the former two because I really want people to see King's range as a writer. Also don't fall for the Batman meme, it's not good. Art is shit and writing is mediocre at best and intellectually offensive at worst. Read at your own peril.

I'm glad we had this conversation.

It's some of the most boring garbage I've ever read.

King really tries so fucking hard to ape Moore it's not even funny. Anyone who has familiarity with Moore's style would agree.

Doesn't mean you have to praise them out of the blue, and it sure as hell doesn't mean you have to call him a fucking genius.

'kay, that won't change the fact it's one of the most acclaimed cape books out there, beloved by tons of other creators (to the point even Alex Toth did a pin-up for the series), and you're just some random literally who who's opinion is irrelevant.

Or, in other words, you just have shit taste, bro. Madman is fucking great.

Fuck off retard. Fucking Bendis and his garbage are critically acclaimed.

>hurrr just because thing X is acclaimed means thing Y's acclaim is invalid
>hurrr only my worthless opinion counts
>hurrr also random ad hominem because I'm a literal teenager
'kay

Bendis' most critically acclaimed work, his Daredevil, is worthy of praise.

Tom King is a critically acclaimed writer as well :^)

Are you retarded? You just tried to prove that something is good because of critical acclaim and when I point out that it doesn't mean shit you sperg out with useless shit like
>hurrr just because thing X is acclaimed means thing Y's acclaim is invalid

No, it's not.

Darkseid's dead though

well kinda
If
>critically acclaimed comic
is to be treated as a title indicating worth, it must only be given to worthy stuff.

Ergo, if it's given to a steaming turd, it's no longer a worthy title.

What book was this in?

Multiversity

Multiversity Guidebook, nah?

It's cute that you think that'll stick.

Plath's work highly delves in the themes of depression, despair and death. The author herself committed suicide after being depressed. We in for a wild King ride again.

>aren't really effected by Flashpoint

Somebody should've said that to their costume designers.

Or maybe it's just a quote related to Orion? A quote that has something to do with the theme of the book? Not everything different, specially if it requires more research, is pretentious.

Singular manifestation in an isolated universe of an entity that operates on a scale larger than the multiverse.

Think prisms. One light shines through one end, gets split into a bunch of different lights out the other, but they're all the same light, even if they look different from the originator and even the other lights on that end.

What a time to be alive.

I thought so too, but that explains that darkseid is the same guy on every earth and exists on a plane above them.

But what if pre-flashpoint was a different darkseid (who also appears as a different light through a prism to every pre-flashpoint earth) and the flashpoint altered the over-darkseid?

This gets into the question of what the impacts of Final Crisis are with the Rebrith-retconned Flashpoint.

My answer is we don't really know, but the idea of Darkseid that works best is a larger-scale one than just Rocky Mongul.

Desu I'm a lover of King's work but I would never deny it comes with certain pretentions. That's not really a bad thing in general since most acclaimed works of this genre do come with it but it's wise to acknowledge them. Also the literature quoting in King's work reeks of King's intentional homaging/copying of Moore's style. I really don't mind it though, it's good.

Much much happier than it's New Gods in general rather than just Big Barda and Mr Miracle

I'll wait for trades, 1000+ pages is just ridiculous. Can't imagine the gutter loss, also no way they're going to use the good paper stock from the smaller collections. It's going to be glossy shit

Kirby's The Demon is getting a TPB reprint and we're supposed to get paperback collections of Simonson's Orion

He definitely doesn't. Moore is much more comfortable being lighter in tone and Moore's repetition is much less spelled out than King's. King also doesn't have nearly the wide reference base that Moore does. He doesn't draw on the same variety of characters or have Moore-isms in his work. Gillen is the guy who apes Moore.

I like the New Gods in general, but there is totally a place for Scott & Barda couple stuff.

There is but I was iffy on King writing it. Whereas New Gods in general, I'm totally for that.

>works are based on/refers to literature
>self referential and repetitive nature of dialogues/quotes/narration
>panel structure is very much Mooreish (frequent use of ditko panels, character models being cut up in multiple panels, use of zoom in and zoom out)
Looks very much Moore inspired to me. And the fact that King himself admitted that Omega Men rips off Moore/Moore being his favorite writer and inspiration.
Also what Gillen works are Moore-like in nature? I might actually give Gillen's work a chance.

Phonogram, Wikdiv.

I don't think King's works are 'based' on references to literature and the integration of the references is completely different. You can't shore up The Vision or Omega Men vs. LoEG or Providence in terms of how the referencing is done. And in terms of recurrence King spells it out on the page whereas while this is definitely a theme through out Moore's stuff even if you go back to his early Time Twisters it's handled more subtly. Panel work is trickier because there are significant differences across works (certainly for King, who has less out there). Zoom in/zoom out I'll definitely give you.

>I might actually give Gillen's work a chance.
Save yourself the time and don't.

Gillen's only truly awful comics are Warhammer tie-ins. 'Not for me' is a different thing to bad.

>I don't think King's works are 'based' on references to literature and the integration of the references is completely different.
By referenced/based on I meant in terms of themes. Like how Moore's Miracleman certainly draws from Nietzsche's Ubermensch theory and Thus Spoke Zarathustra or how the monkey King issue refers to Goya's painting, same way King's Omega Men draws thematically from Williams James' thesis or Vision is inspired by Shakespearean play. King obviously doesn't have the sublties of Moore's work but there are some heavy stylistic similarities.
Also how is Gillen's work Moore-like?

Nah, the guy shits out stinker after stinker. Young Avengers an Wicdiv in particular are pieces of shit, but that's maybe because he's working with his talentless buttbudy on them, Mckelvie.

I really don't mind a pretentious tryhard hipster writer as long as the work itself intrigues me and has some artistic merit. I know people hate Gillen here but I really won't know until I try.

Read Phonogram ;^)

There was that "300 done right" comic that was pretty bad.

So happy I have a complete shelf of the DC Kirby hardcovers. Just waiting for Boy Commandos 2.

I wish they'd do the non Kirby Kamandi in that format.

This shit is stupid. The New Gods have never worked like this until twisting logic to retain Kirby's original characters became necessary.

Big Two cosmologies continuously get larger-scale and more complicated. It's just some alterations so that the New Gods keep their relative position in the story. Nothing wrong with that.

>More Iraq War allegories with New Gods as stand-ins

Yaaaaay....

I have a feeling he's going to be focusing on Orion and Scott's upbringing's and true parentage.

Marvel has been absolute dogshit for nearly 3 decades now - he's not exaggerating. It really is the best thing they've produced in a long time.

well, that's a truly great proposition

>What can he do with Orion? Something involving worship or strength?

The seemingly futile fight against corrupt, violent religious extremism.

Yeah that sounds about right. And Mr Miracle is going to be a pacifist or something.

I think every human being can relate to Orion a bit, user. It's the urge to work towards something with the knowledge that you could just burn it all down instead.