Mark Hamill Can’t Believe How Intensely People Bashed the Star Wars Prequels

youtube.com/watch?v=bFu2IFdjCaw

>likes prequels
>hates sequels

Makes you think.

Based Mark
Loyal to Lucas until the end

the bashing only really started after the Plinkett reviews.

Get fucked, kid.

See ya round, kid

No it started right after TPM was released in theaters

Not really, the Plinkett reviews just codified all the objections so well that it's tough not to use the same arguments.

people knew it was mediocre but it wasn't until all those analysis videos went viral that normies all jumped on the bandwagon

And who made them viral? Simon Pegg, JJ Abrams butt buddy. Coincidence?

Fuck that line about Lloyd got to me

Imagine only being 10 years old, doing everything the big famous director man tells you to do and star in the biggest movie ever only to have it ruin the rest of your life, fuck everything

the plinkett reviews straight up lied about multiple things
>uhh why is everything cgi where are the miniatures and sets, like wheres the dude pouring fake lave down a fake mountain
>pictures of sets from the prequels are shown, guys are pouring fake lava down fake mountains, building miniatures and sets
>uhh like you cant remember the prequel characters uhh describe them by personality
>multiple character analyses are made about said characters. some on this very board
>uhhh like why is anakin such a shithead like lol hes such a bad character hes weird
>missing the whole fucking point of anakins character

some points are valid, but many are bullshit

>he actually believes this
Cretin. Also, the Plinkett reviews suck.
>it's not the OT therefore it's bad in so many words

The prequels WERE shit.

George Lucas is an IDEAS GUY, he hasn't been a director since the 70s.

What he should have done for the prequels and sequels was sketched an outline and then handed it to competent writers and directors.

Instead he tried to do the prequels himself and sold SW in its entirety to other people to do the sequels.

GEORGE NEVER FOUND THE CORRECT BALANCE HE ALWAYS WENT TO EXTREMES

>missing the whole fucking point of anakins character
They didn't miss the point of Anakin's character, the argument was that it was presented poorly.

This here.
I read yesrerday an old review of return of the jedi where they criticised it to be a muppetfilm with all them in it.
You can nitpick everything if you want to.

i unironically think that episode 3 was the best movie in the franchise, overall

Wtf is with that music

all the miniatures were CGI'd over, bro

You're dead wrong, though. It's the best prequel and had some nice-looking scenes but is still just OK, not as good as any OT movie.

They show the minatures and sets which were CGI'd over in the behind-the-scenes footage.
The prequel characters are unambiguously less engaging and memorable than the OT characters, particularly in TPM, except the ones who appeared in the OT.

maybe i was just too young to see it but i don't remember ever thinking that jake lloyd was a bad actor. the only thing that bugged me was his rucksack, nothing to do with his acting just thought it looked a bit out of place.

He didn't say he liked them, he said people were overreacting. He's right. Interestingly, people aren't overreacting to just how bad the Disney movies are. They are just sort of taking it in stride, and that's partially because the prequels already set these people up for disappointment and Star Wars at this point is not worth being passionate about.

i mean like overall. you know like when you are zapping and you find "that" movie, and you keep watching it even if you saw it 100x times? in that sense

Fuck you, I like the prequels. Except the third one where plot developments were a bit too convenient.

What? They had to tie everything in..

It still looked cheap. Palpatine gets his Empire too easily, Anakin is suddenly okay with killing children, Dooku is nonchalantly moved out of the plot, Obi-Wan surviving Order 66 is a dumb luck, Senator Organa is a literal who. It's the worst kind of a plot-driven story: the one that moves towards its prescripted conclusion without care for its characters.

I subconsciously try to justify things for movies I'm watching, BUT... I related Palpatine taking over to Hitler, and how it was seemingly easy for him to take over. I thought Anakin fell into the deep end pretty quick after turning on Windu, and the children were just another part of cleaning up his mess. It seemed like Palpatine no longer wanted or needed Dooku, and used him just as someone for Anakin to kill. Also, it seemed like only literal who's that died to the clones, but Yoda and Obiwan were much stronger.

Nope, empire is vastly more entertaining and rewatchable.

Because, and I know this is going to sound weird but bear with me, it actually has a lovingly crafted story filled with great acting, lots of planning, great dialogue that feels real, suspense, intrigue and to top it off it had a great twist that no-one saw coming.

>Mark Hamill Can’t Believe How Intensely People Bashed the Star Wars Prequels
Neither can I considering they are consistently better than TLJ

maybe, but i'd still rewatch 3 over 5. it perfectly capture the "if-only-thing-x-didn't-happen.." feeling that keeps you hooked

Mark is always gonna be loyal to Lucas. I liked the prequels myself, but I can understand the hate that they get. They were a big departure from what people were used to.

I can only hope that the sequel trilogy gets that much hate in the future too.

Fuck RLMdrones. PM was loved when it came out. I went on the first day and people were litteraly clapping at the end. Myself and my friends even went to see it again the next weekend.

Based Mark

OP is full of. What exactly Mark said in the Interview:
>He couldn't believe people went as far as to say "This ruined my childhood" and other super hyperbolic statements.
Totally true. He can believe people say they're bad.
>What people said about jake lloyd
100% fact too. He said the guy did exactly what lucas wanted and it's true. neither him or Hayden Christensen were terrible actors, they just got a super bad fucking script. How the fuck are they supposed to be decent with dialogue like that? Fucking Daniel Day Lewis wouldn't be able to make this script work. It's complete bullshit that people shat on that kid for years when it's 100% not that kids fault.
Fucking people couldn't accept that Lucas is a hack when you let him do what he wants, so when young anakin turned out terrible, everyone acted like Lucas had this genuis script, but young jake lloyd came on set, acted out his own fanfiction until everyone said "alright guess we'll do it your way lloyd".

Bullshit thread.

I don't know about that, but a lot of people saw the movie two or three times to realize how bad it was. Many where so overhyped the first time that they straight up adrenaline pushed trough the bad scenes, and then on the subsequent viewings they went: "uuhh... this, this is actually not that... oh wow that's straight up bad"

Qui-Gon is awesome.

> I related Palpatine taking over to Hitler,
/facepalm.exe
The SW saga (ep 1-6) is a call-back to the transition of Rome from a Republic to an Empire, not Nazi Germany.

Who

Patrician tastes desu.

That's /ourguy/

Then who are the Huns?

Because it is.

While there was always a group who hated the prequels, I noticed a strong hipster like retro anti "nu" star wars movement only a few years ago. Had a friend watch episode III for the first time say he like it and that the opening shot was "SO DENSE". obviously he was being sarcastic thinking i would ignorantly not know he was mocking it. But it made me realize he was just parroting opinions like an impressionable faggot who can't deviate.

I've been saying that for years too, see: Both Lloyd and Christensen. If you get a script that says: "alright, you're a toddler wunderkind best pilot in the galaxy, talk to this girl about angels on a fucking moon" and: "alright so yoda explained how a Jedi shouldn't have strong feelings, so you're gonna storm off angrily like a pissed of teenager not allowed to go to a concert of his favourite band and talk about how you hate sand"
THE FUCK ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THAT? There is no WAY any actor in the world could have delivered that hammy as dialogue in a decent way.
But, no Star Wars fan wanted to admit that their holy Idol Lucas could have fallen from grace. So the pointed at all these terrible moments of terrible script and dialogue and said: "look how this actor is ruining Star Wars". so for YEARS whenever they saw that fucking ten year old kid (that did a pretty decent job in my opinion) they fucking shit talked him and blamed HIM PERSONALLY for ruining one of the most beloved movie franchisees that ever existed.
The guy that played Jar Jar got fucking lucky his face wasn't in it, someone might have stabbed that guy in the street.

Lucas get shit for the prequels, yet people don't seem to know that the Clone Wars was only so good because lucas kept a relative heavy hand in it's development and invested his own money in the show. It's really noticible how the same crew creates ugly shit in Rebels under the iron (and cheap) fist of disney.

And as much as people shat on the EU, even it's worst was pretty much equal to the average of what disney has brought forth: incompetent novel writers who add gay characters for no reason, retarded post-endor storyline that gives no chance of writing anything good to take palce between the movies, etc.

>You should kill your Youngling nephew, son.

>40BC into 1st century AD
>Huns

>all the talk of the balance in the force was because george couldn't find the balance in himself
fucking hell the pottery goes deeper than we thought

Palpatine taking over was actually well orchestrated. That part wasn't an issue for me. Anakin's evolution however was. I know they show us stuff along the way to get us to think he has issues and he does...but it still just wasn't very believable when he flipped. They dind't execute it properly. IDK if it was Hayden's acting or the pacing or what. It always seems a bit hard to believe though.
>wanting to save his family
believable
>going against jedi code
believable
>thinking the jedi are not without their flaws
believable
>being willfully ignorant enough to buy into palpatine's rhetoric
believable
>kill all your jedi brothers and younglings
no honestly doens't seem like something anakin would do at that point so quickly and without hesitation.

>considering they are consistently better than TLJ
i'm more intrigued to watch this shlock now - knowing how bad it's likely to be - than I was when I thought it couldn't possibly be worse than The Faeces Evacuates...!

>I went on the first day and people were litteraly clapping at the end.

Literally my experience with TLJ.

Every SW movie gets praised at first. It's mostly delusion of the fans.

For me it ticked earlier:
>the council talks how you need to be clear of emotions to be a jedi
>anaking throws fucking tantrums under their noses
>they don't kick him out right away.
It was just so.. so not subtle. In my opinion it could have been done way better with him secretly training the sith ways under Palpatine, with palpatine teaching him to hide his true feelings (because Palpatine successfully hid in plain sight of the jedi for years) and then once he's corrupted enough THEN go for the kill. Right now it seems like Anakin is angry he doesn't get recognition calls BS on the council and kills all the kids.
He later says "from my point of view the Jedi are evil" but they absolutely fail to properly establish that or make it even remotely believable.

There's a certain cult movie like "so bad it's good" quality to it. It's a very different style of badness from TFA which was just boringly predictable fan service or the goofy old man senility and hubris of the prequels. It really kind of feels like Rian Johnson is just taking a piss on JJ, Mark Hamill, DIsney and the entire SW fandom, though it's still subtle enough to have plausible deniability.

I found myself enjoying it far more than TFA not necessarily because it's legit good but because all the surreal, bizarre shit at least was utterly, off the wall unpredictable and funny.

Over time I could see this become the Dune or Zardoz of the SW franchise. Something that has its own religious cult following though considered bad by most people and serious fans of SW.

of course Day 1 faggots loved it, everyone else was laughing at "YIPPEE!" though

Nah but the cackling space devil bits are pretty entertaining

Back when I was younger and before the prequels dropped I always imagined he just snapped and got ground down in the Clone Wars that Ben mentioned in ANH, the way Ben mentions it makes it sound like it's some Vietnam tier shit, not a bunch of robots and clones who NO ONE FUCKING CARES ABOUT mowing each other down.

One of my biggest issues with the prequels is how little before the original three it's set - I thought Anakin fell as a tired old wounded man that was half way towards becoming the old cripple he was in ROTJ, not the kid he was in EP3.

that's a good idea. If they would have shown Palpatine filling Anakin with rhetoric in Episode 2 more, the transition would have been smoother. Like in Episode 2 show Palpatine just telling Anakin stories like the Pleigas story and also giving him general "words of wisdom" that ultimately make him question the Jedi. Maybe have him reveal toward the end that he has studied some aspects of the force outside the Jedi. Not with a dark side connotation but just hey anakin, I know a little bit about the Jedi and the force...being a wise man who studies so many things. In fact, I've practiced it from time to time. Why don't you join me for some force meditation. Maybe palpatine shows anakin a force power he had not seen the jedi use. Then in Episode III we see Palpatine and Anakin training more. Anakin is slightly different around Palpatine, who encourages him and provides a space where Anakin can say things he otherwise would keep hidden...like his desire for authoritarian government or allowing his emotion out while using the force. Or how Anakin sometimes wished to use his power to bypass Jedi code to capture or kill enemies to put a more swift end to the war. Doing what needs to be done. We can see Anakin in these moments a bit more egotistical and cocky, more proud of his power and a little sneaky.

What a fuckig retarded post. Even your attempts to strawman the opposing argument to make yourself look smarter completely failed. That's how unintelligent you sound.

>Mark™ Hamill™ Can’t™ Believe™ How™ Intensely™ People™ Bashed™ the™ Star Wars™ Prequels™

The strangest thing about phantom menace was that Lucas structured it like a video game instead of a movie. More so than the other two, it viewed like he intended it to be an easy 1-1 conversion later. Don't think that was the smartest move.
I enjoyed it though, and I still enjoy it so fuck anyone who says I can't. Part of watching star wars is remembering that ewoks were a thing, and ewok adventure was a thing twice. I can handle a little yippee and a retarded alien frog.

Someone literally went out and made a movie just to take shots at them.

disney funded no doubt

Tried to trick people too. Telling people and actors that it was just a Star Wars documentary and then asking them loaded questions to make them shit on Lucas.

I don't see why you would need to do that. There's plenty of shit there without needing to fuck around like that.

I unironically agree user

It certainly is the most ballsy. The prequels as an outline aren't bad, but they're horribly executed and could have done with some more subtlety.

The point was killing his brothers and younglings hurt him, and caused him emotional pain. He didn't do it lightly. But it strengthened his power over the Dark Side.

There were some annoying things about the prequels but overall I enjoyed watching them. Not only were they fun to watch but they did a great job of expanding the star wars lore.

I watched The Phantom Menace three times in the theatre in the same week it was released, I was just a kid excited about Star Wars but even them I recognised some “problems”.

The criticism on TPM was heavy on geek forums by early 2000, I loved the Star Wars games but didn’t bother to go see AOTC and ROTS in the theatres. The movies had extremely fake look, excessive cgi, everything looked green screen, you could see this by just looking at trailers.

>new movies turn out to be shit
>suddenly all these prequelfags come out of the woodworks

fuck off with your reddit memes, those prequel movies are shit and will always be shit no matter how much you spam your shitty memes

Now that The Last Jedi is out, can we all admit that Lucas being in control wasn't that bad?

Yes, the prequels have problems but they also had a lot of good shit. The Clone troopers are badass, Ewan McGregor was a good Ob-Wan, Count Dooku was good villain and he was different from the other (movie) sith lords in terms of motive, the lightsaber battles were the best in the saga, Jango made up for how Boba Fett did pretty much nothing...

Hating the prequels is a Reddit meme. I bet you hate Return of the Jedi too.

fuck off

I actually enjoyed the prequels as a kid. they're not amazing.

Hi kid. Don't forget to buy all those action figures of classic Star Wars characters like Mary Sue and Token Asian. Make Disney proud. :^)

im agree with this man, is the only one i actually like

>The Clone troopers are badass
Eh. They're fine.

>Ewan McGregor was a good Ob-Wan
None of the actors were bad.

>Count Dooku was good villain and he was different from the other (movie) sith lords in terms of motive
He was completely underused. Concept alone won't make up for terrible execution.

>the lightsaber battles were the best in the saga
No, ESB and ROTJ are still the best bar none.

>Jango made up for how Boba Fett did pretty much nothing
He shouldn't even have been there. Boba Fett shouldn't be anywhere near that important.

If there's anything to save from the prequels is the side material and the designs, which were all overall solid because Lucas delegated them to other people.

George was a good friend

I love how the OP filename has """"by"""" Gage Skidmore in it
like pointing a camera at some dude at a comic con panel and pressing a button is something worthy of attaching your name

this but unironically
als execute dubs 66

E8, having seen it yesterday, was something Star War fans will rip apart with more passion than anything the prequels did

>hating the prequels predates reddit
>It's a Reddit Meme
how old are you?

What you guys are experiencing now is a lesser version of what most of use experienced during the prequels.
Give it about 6-8 years, when the kids are grown up and start posting here, and you'll get posts defending the new trilogy to the ends of the Earth, like some of you younger kids are currently doing with the prequels. Because you don't know any better.

Old enough to watch the 1997 editions of the original trilogy as a kid

No. If they weren't the clusterfuck they were he'd still be in control. They're not magically better because there's a newly emerging different flavoured clusterfuck.

>pretending the prequels are even comparable to Disney's Social Justice Wars starring MaRey Sue

So 15 or younger, and your parents have a copy of the 97 original trilogy?

Only redditcucks thought they were as awful as the internet memebox perpetuated

The prequels are worse, but they're both bad.
And you kids defending the prequels are going to experience the exact same thing we're experiencing now, where kids will 100% defend this new trilogy likes it's amazing.

Because you watched the prequels as kids, and they watched the Disney trilogy as kids.

Mark has been confirmed to be redpilled as fuck on Star Wars.

Lucas was an artist. Disney is a factory.

>So 15 or younger
Are you mentally retarded? When I was a kid, videos were still a thing instead of DVDs.

>hate predates reddit
>Only redditcucks thought they were awful
you must be 18+ to post on this board

>The prequels are worse
Hi Jar Jar Abrams. What are you gonna make Mary Sue do in Episode IX?

>specific electronics suddenly stop working the instant a New Year passes
>calling anyone else mentally retarded
confirmed teenager
you don't know what you're talking about, kid

There are no movies I've tried so hard to like but they got worse with every viewing. Reddit or RLM has nothing to do with it.

Hugboxers went to Reddit after their old irrelevant fan sites died/

You're showing your age, and you're letting your emotion overcome logic. Kids will do the exact same thing that you're doing with the prequels.

Whatever you say, Plinkett.

The "prequels are good" are an underaged meme

It's been confirmed on multiple occasions that the prequels are on par with and in some cases superior to OT.

>1997 was twenty years ago
>lol you're 15 or under
You don't know what you're talking about, kid

Nice false equivalence, kid. The prequels were never as bad as people act like they are now, while TFA and later Disney garbage is being called out for being the worst films in the franchise right now. In twenty years the prequels will still be memed on by try-hards who want to look cool on the internet Disney movies will still be shit with no soul.

by people who were kids during the prequels, we already discussed this

I'd say that only The Phantom Menace had good designs that actually looked like something from the Star Wars universe, and that's because it's the only movie of the prequels where Doug Chiang worked. He was trained by Ralph McQuarrie and and brought a lot of the flavour of the original movies to the Phantom Menace.