swbooks.net/updates/release-2017.htm

>Out This Week:
Thrawn (April 11)
Adventures in Wild Space #3 (April 11)
Doctor Aphra #6 (April 12)
Celebration 2017 (April 13-15)

>Leaked Battlefront 2 Trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=gyV7O60RCPI

>Download links: (Check here for new Rebels Episodes + Books, Comics, Films, etc)
pastebin.com/nWsKtSya

>Canon Guide:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

>Legends Recommendation List:
docs.google.com/document/d/147N5EgCnZmcPaDYvnGQwl9cn7BhBroFb7mD2C4cmWb0/edit?usp=sharing

I thought it was great to see him embracing that he's Anakin

mfw watching the celebration

first for loth cats

POST A TIE FIGHTER RIGHT NOW

OR I'LL DESTROY YOUR CORVETTE

Did every EU book have soul and creativity and freedom?

The writers are given bullet points and then can write whatever they want. The only difference between now and then is that now there's a bit of oversight to keep everything in line with everything else. I don't see why that's a bad thing.

>Battlefront II
Grievous is going to be DLC, isn't he?

*teleports behind you*

Don't bring old arguments into new threads. Especially when they're blatantly baiting you.

>not using my superior version
Fuck you.

Is this photo real or is Hayden shopped? Can anyone post the original?

Yes it's real, Hayden died but came back as a ghost and he and Mark went to Endor

So did we learn anything today of worth?

Okay. Posting best TIE.

Look at that sexy profile. Holy shit it's THAT sharp.

There's a very real and noticeable difference in the decline in quality in the new canon books from the old. It is more than just a bit of oversight from the story group. They're basically the ones writing the books like a hivdmind. But they Can't do anything interesting or real with it because all of the good content is reserved for the films and Rebels gets some scraps. It's plain as day, anyone who has read most of the EU and the new stuff should be intelligent enough to see how obvious it is. It's the difference between art and a product. The new stuff is decidedly just a product, innocuous and lacking integrity and merit beyond what it can continue to sell you.

>be that kid 2nd from the right
>beg your mom and dad all year to go to SWCO
>spend all your allowance on Kylo's Lightsaber
>beg to keep your hair long so you look like him
>get the outfit as a last minute surprise from your parents
>be super proud with how you look
>strut around SWCO feeling like hot shit
>get compliments all day
>go to Ray Park's panel cuz he likes light sabers
>get called on stage
>"YES I GET TO SHOW OFF"
>have to stand next to guy who might as well be kylo fucking ren himself
>feels bad man

Ian is based and Ray Park isn't interesting.

So things we always knew
Gotcha

This is why I can't say in public I'm a Star Wars fag. Much like I won't ever say I watch anime.

Also that Warwick has the best bantz.

Ian McDiarmid is a fucking Scottish National Treasure. I love him.

So... How does the angle here help the solar panels get sunlight?

Seems like you're always going to have some shade

You should watch Life's Too Short
It's bretty good

Man's charismatic as fuck.

>Rey Park isn't interesting.
When they turned off the lights and he spinned the laser sword was pretty

Holy shit that Ren is good

I don't think those are solar panels.
But even if they are, you'd need them at several angles, since there's no directions in space. You'd want at least one facing the sun from whatever angle you're at.

I want to do certain things to Andi

>I've got aids.

Like what

Agreed! Hot damn!

I'm a newfag who doesn't know how to reply to old threads into the new, so I'll just repost this response to the user you responded to

I think this is bait, but whatever.

I still vastly prefer Legends, but I think that they've done a decent job with the nucanon, ESPECIALLY R1. I'll admit, the books are...meh. Lost Stars and Thrawn are the only good ones, really. It's pretty evident that yes, they are pandering a bit to SJWs, but not distractingly so.

Why am I not mad? I straight up went through the stages of grief. I'm long past the anger, but some sadness does still remain. Whatever, in the end, I'm just gonna try to be optimistic about whatever comes.

>ywn

>short

>only good ones
>not including catalyst

>watching 40th anniversary panel
Why the fuck is Mark's mic not hooked up right?

>Hasn't read Plagueis

user pls

I admit the beginning needs a little organizing but pls.

Have you read tarkin and catalyst yet? both god tier.

How is Thrawn for anyone who has read it? Any cool new revelations? How much dumb foreshadowing of Snoke being the 'ultimate source of the darkside' is there?

There was nothing bait about my post (the one he responded to from the previous thread). I firmly and wholeheartedly believe the EU was a significantly higher quality overall because it was less corporate and the authors had a ton of freedom to explore characters and eras they wanted without people breathing down their neck going "that spoils our plans for one of the upcoming movies, change it" or whatever. You are right that the new stuff is just "meh", and It's because of that. They simply can't tell whatever stories they want and the constraints they have to work under rob them of the ability to passionately tell stories.

Did you forget me?

Let's hope that the fans don't ruin it for him again.

>hasn't read the post
It's about nucanon books

Is that out already?

That's what happens when you're not playing a main character.

Halfway through. Not a hint of Snoke.

There was a hint of it

Well, I'm doing the audiobook and except for Thrawns pre-emptive strike stuff there's nothing that indicates Snoke specifically threatens the Ascendancy so far. Did I miss something?

>"It's good to see you guys."

I really hope he feels like he can embrace the franchise again. The Clone Wars and nucanon have done a lot for PT appreciation.

Sidw note: I wonder if his appearance at Celebration is any sort of sign that he's currently involved with something.

>They simply can't tell whatever stories they want and the constraints they have to work under rob them of the ability to passionately tell stories.
First off, they still had editors in the EU. It's not like they could just do whatever they wanted.

Secondly, I'm honestly not sure how much of nucanon you've read. You certainly don't have to check them out if you don't want to, but Lost Stars literally never felt like it had constraints. Tarkin added a lot to the character and didn't have to bother dancing around canon (in fact, it recanonized a lot of legends things). Bloodlines did a ton for Leia's post-Jedi arc.

And then you have Catalyst, which is the book that's MOST tied directly to editorial influence, being a direct RO prequel, and it's probably the best of the bunch. Hell, A New Dawn was pretty great too, and it's just a Rebels prelude.

Sure, Aftermath wasn't able to go big for the most part because they're keeping the ST stuff for the movies, but even then you had the Battle of Jakku which was cool (even if not worth 3 books of buildup). That's really the only book that ever felt weighed down by having to be careful.

I agree with your sentiment in your original post, just not the phrasing lol. But that does make sense. Not that I think new movies is a bad thing, but...I get your meaning.

nah nothing really, i thought it was the vong anyway. it could still be.

I may have said this already on Sup Forums:

Insofar, I have not seen as EU as expansive and lorefilled as Doctor Who's because they have no Disney enforcing what should be or should be not considered canon. Indeed, the creme de la creme of works come from the years in which the show was off air allowing writers to produce whatever they saw fit to produce. This created books as diverse as works centred around many extraordinarily interesting concepts including the Klein's bottle - the universe within the universe, the concept that viruses that could be used to "infect" timelines and a culture of colonists who resurrected their dead by pouring their memories into their clones and a sentient time machine come city who had resurrected every humanoid at the world's end and was tasked with the impossible task of solving a string of murders that ought to have been impossible.

Of course, DW eventually went down the same line of limiting what can or can't be said in the new canon books, making it as shit as the new Star Wars books (and arguably even more shit, but luckily they did not declare everything non canon.)

I was drawn into Star Wars EU because one individual told me that there was one SW author who could write a damn good yarn and that SW EU wasn't as restricted as one thought it was. That author was of course Zahn and whilst I greatly enjoy his works it is very evident that he is following bullet points, especially in the more recent books.

oh please force jesus please

(cont.)
The quality of a book is determined by the quality of the author and the size of the playground (as restricted by what they can or can't do). An incredibly talented author like Zahn who doesn’t appear to consider SW as just ‘a job’ runs through an incredible series of hoops to tell a story within the confines of the novel and has to constantly reinterpret events or add hooks into the plot in order to do so. Most importantly, he cares a lot about characterisation, how characters are formed and how they are developed – his characters are not static. Other authors, and in my opinion Luceno was quite guilty of this, told nothing more than worldbuilding filler mired in jargon with no real conclusion or progression in characterisation.

Now this issue of characterisation does not just encompass SW only. Indeed, in science fiction often the authors become more concerned about playing with relativistic theories (style over substance in hard scifi) or very shiny toys like laser guns and futuristic societies to focus on anything more than the worldbuilding or they are just bland filler-esque books or the prose is too beige (this is more a modern fantasy issue than a scifi one). And in books that are restricted by a franchise like Disney they not only fall into these pitfalls but have the added issue of being bland because of what the authors can or can’t do to the characters.

What forges characters?

In the words of MLK ‘The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.’

It’s conflict that drives the characters forth, it’s conflict that challenges characters. It’s conflict that boxed authors can’t have when they can’t kill any characters and everyone knows how those characters emerge on the other end. It’s conflict that can’t be creatively delivered if Disney is calling the shots.

No Vong pls
Let them stay dead forever

>they can’t kill any characters and everyone knows how those characters emerge on the other end

rogue One had all of it's characters die, though. Mostly horribly, like Baze and Chirrut

They're hot, though.

I suppose you can kill off the characters you yourselves create but not the original ones. Also I think R1 gets more creative freedom then say, Catalyst, for example because it's a tie in film but not a tie in book intended to connect things.

IT IS A GOOD PAIN

Catalyst was fucking great, though. People don't have to die to make a good story, dude. Krennic is probably one of the best written characters in all of canon. You understand his motives, they make sense, and by the end, you kind of root for Tarkin, because of all the shit he tried to pull.

Doctor Who doesn't really have a canon though. Even the show itself contradicts itself whenever Moffat deems it necessary. It was never intended to be one cohesive universe.

Fuck Vong. Pure 90s edgy cringe. Garbage.

>You understand his motives
Being gay for Mads?
Doesn't everyone?

>not a tie in book intended to connect things.
>Saw is literally a main character

I've read Lost Stars, Twilight Company, Aftermath, Bloodline, and Lords of the Sith. Aftermath wss the only one of those that was egregiously terrible, easily the worst Star Wars book ever written this side of Karen Traviss, but the others were simply dull and mediocre. Twilight Company and Lost Stars are the closest in quality to the old stuff, but still pale in comparison to much of it. Lords of the Sith could have been the best one but it is spoiled by having that retarded Cham Syndulla shit crammed in and taking focus away from the two characters I wanted to read the book for in the first place so it was ultimately supremely disappointing. You can try and move the goal posts and undermine the validity of my post by suggesting I haven't read enough, but that's just a pathetic strawman and a load of bullshit. I have read enough and I have elaborated on why I believe this to an adequate degree. It is factual to say that the quality of the new books as a whole are simply not up to the standard of the old stuff that I spent the better part of 15 years reading. It's not nostalgia or bait, and your opinion certainly isn't more valid, so stop implying it.

Tarkin looks damn weird in that shot.

>The quality of a book is determined by the quality of the author and the size of the playground (as restricted by what they can or can't do).
The second half of that sentence is such bullshit.

The quality of the people making the book is the only thing that affects the quality of the book. Zahn was able to tell a good Thrawn story in nucanon, and several other books have done a good job too. A good writer can write a good story even with the restrictions.

All the restrictions are doing is stopping people from stepping on the movies or making stupid ideas like the suncrusher.

Other than that, it's literally no different than the process for the EU. Even back then, it's not like you could write something that complete contradicted major parts of existing lore.

Root for Tarkin?

Did you not feel satisfied when he headshot krennic with the deathstar? he had it coming

>Saw is literally a main character
I wouldn't say that.

I know, right? What were they thinking

Lyra ruined everything

My point it, they included material from rebels, and he was saying that it WASN'T intended to connect it

Someone do a jojo edit

Fuck off Lyra

Vong are fine. The problem is their series went for 20 FUCKING BOOKS. Not to mention making them overpowered as fuck. Condensing their power level would make for some cool sci-fi body horror stories. That was a big problem with the EU. Series with too many fucking books. Fate of the Jedi was 20, then LOTF was 9, followed by another 9 book series. Fuck that shit.

Why does the livestream upload start up like an hour in?

He was so good looking in this uniform

Krennic had the best taste

that is worst galen this is best galen

Fuck off Lyra

Except the new Thrawn book is a steaming pile of garbage compared to the original Thrawn trilogy. I am convinced that Zahn only wrote it to have some measure of control over his most fondly remembered character and books (just like how Galen worked on the Death Star, they would have done it without him), but it's still a soulless reboot that more or less adds nothing and simply poorly emulates what people liked about the original.

I love the Vong in concept. I hate their specifics. Extragalactic invaders forcing the most bitter of enemies in the galaxy to unite to combat a common enemy? AWESOME! The're not affected by the Force and they have teh bezt weponz n bigost ships ev4r ? Fuck that.

Do you guys expect any actually shocking plot twists in the ST?

>kylo is Luke and Leia's incest baby

No it only triggered my saviour complex.

fuck you lyra is shit don't take it out on me just because a shitty character has better taste in galens than you do

It was never supposed to be the Thrawn trilogy packed into one book you moron.

Personally, I loved the Vong. Everything about them was awesome and fascinating and they made a perfect foil for the Jedi while not being yet another Sith or Dark Jedi. I adore the NJO and I'd love to see them come back.

It's been a while since I read HttE, but I wouldn't judge the new Thrawn so harshly. I thought it stood up at least on the same level as Allegiance/Outbound Flight. Also adds some great lore to the nucanon.

Noice

>he doesn't like his men clean-shaven

fucking degenerates

sounds like some edgy teenager got major butthurt that there wasn't any edgy blood and gore and needless character deaths in it

The Vong got interesting when the books started to humanise them a bit. Nom Anor and that Vua Rapuung guy were pretty cool. I mostly like the NJO books for turning the Solo kids into proper heroes and the more thorough world building. I can see why people can't stand them though.

>Characters can't die in new canon and it's SHIT for it
>Rogue One sucked because everyone died!

hmmmm

Like I said, love them in concept. Much better than yet ANOTHER Imperial remnant or Darksider faction, but their specifics were too...much.

If they brought them to nucanon and got rid of their more '90s grimdark aspects it'd be perfect. I usually stay miles away from Snoke shit but it'd be great if he has a Nom Anor-like role, maybe.