This did not feel like a good Dr. Strange adaption

This did not feel like a good Dr. Strange adaption.

Bring on the hate;

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eBgaMSEY_0Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no, but it was a fun ride for 2 hours
and that's all these things ever really reach for

>fun
use this word to defend shitty capeshit flicks

It really wasn't good. It felt really generic and boring as fuck, which I don't even know how you do with something like dr. strange. They relied way too heavily on the inception effects. The humor was beyond terrible. The only magic he ever actually does, is summon a sash to kung fu fight with, use his stupid sling ring thing to open portals, and fucking around with the infinity stone. The sling ring idea was dumb. I really don't like they made the eye of agamotto an infinity gem. Overall, its a good thing to point to to show people why I gave up on the MCU.

cool bro
its fucking capes, it's inherently fucking stupid what do you really want here?

Thanks for your opinion user.

Couldn't agree more.

It was the worst kind of good movie in that it was competently made but utterly forgettable. I didn't dislike it, but it was so toothless and by the book I came away from it feeling nothing.
I would have preferred something a little more ambitious, even if it came out a little more flawed.

It was an origin story that only made it halfway through the origin. He's not even the Sorcerer Supreme yet, he hasn't had his feud with Mordo over the title to succeed the Ancient One

which is retarded, they should have actually covered the whole arc and not half of it, leaving Strange in some halfway formed spot in his character.

That said, the mirror dimension shaping plot twists, the Ancient One's deal with the devil and the Dormammu fight resolution were all really well handled.

>B but my beyonce joke lolol

This.
It's similar to what happened with Iron Fist, theres this weird realization that they didn't really do anything that warranted the title, it all felt rushed and leaves you with the impression this person barely understands what they're actually doing.

Add it the pile of forgettable playing it safe marvel movies

Rotten tomatoes said it was good

*tips fedora*

Once you establish him as the Sorceror Supreme, you end up running with "my powers won't work under these conditions" shit like Professor X in the X-Men movies.'

Not to mention that the MCU likes to keep everyone's powers a bit more grounded than the comics, which allows "My hexes do anything" Scarlet Witch to be interesting rather than a plot device.

And honestly, I believe you would have complained that they "crammed too much in one movie" if they had done otherwise. You guys are champion complainers.

It was a solid Dr Strange movie.

Better to be forgettable and mediocre than unforgettably terrible.

Cool it was a ride for 2 hours, that work for you?

It's just a subpar remake of 'Iron Man' written by someone who obviously only consumes 'genre' media.

Honestly I didn't care for it much either. I wish marvel would have kept their word about not doing straight up origin stories anymore.

I don't think Benedict cumberbatch was right for the role. He always feels out of place. like he tried to make doctor strange serious but sarcastic and funny and never quite hit any of those. it feels like he's trying to be the replacemental robert downey Jr if he stops doing marvel movies and he just doesn't cut it for me.

I didnt like mordo's motivations for "turning evil" for lack of a better term. it feels like no matter what he does for the next movie it will be out of character for the movie version.
like he went mad after finding out the ancient one used bad magic to extend her life that means he can do there things in the next movie:
>join dormommu and try to kill off all the sorcerers.
would be out if character for him to join the evil side because he snapped after his mentor used bad magic.
> takes magic from people using it for selfish reasons or that are using evil magic.
wouldn't work because that would make him seem morally in the right since strange would be defending evil magic users which seems out of place.
I wish they would have had his reaction be "the ancient one used this magic to do amazing thInga like extend her life I should see what else it could do". he could've been a guy who's curiosity got the better of him and went mad which imo would fit better

My thing is they shouldve implied a much longer passage of time for his training.
I got the impression he was there maybe a year, which is kind of silly, they could have had his accident happen post-iron man, and then his training happening up to the current time where the movies plot starts moving forward
They could've used his touch of grey as a nice little sign of how much time he spent
BUT NAW FUCK IT HES TONY STARK WITH MAGIC AND ITS A MAGIC CARPET NOW

Did you not like ironman 1?

What an insightful observation

its the only movie ever that would have improved with a training montage scene

i liked the magic parts. that's it really.

>the only one who could have fixed my hands was me
>you were cured in some mystic land?
>I don't believe in this bullshit I spent a long time trying to find
>has to save the world first day on the job

It was pretty damn melodramatic. Spent way too long doing the origin and not just, doing the thing.

>Bring on the hate

What is taste?
Does it differ?
Is it subjective?

>Bring on the hate;
No, i've come to bargain

No, just stating the obvious.

it was as formulaic as you can get

What about Rocky?

>no, but it was a fun ride for 2 hours
>and that's all these things ever really reach for
Yeahm I walked out feeling like I had a good time. And then I went and got myself into reading Strange for that pulp magic feel.

cont.

As a follow up though, I do feel the complaints raised here in the thread come from a reasonable place. I'm not much of a movie connoisseur, so I'm learning a lot about the film's perceived faults with plotting and long-term franchise longevity here, as well as what the counter points to them have to say about it. It's good to see that the film had enough of an impact to warrant ongoing discussion instead of falling into obscurity.

You're a faggot OP.

I liked it

It was a fun movie, but that was about it. Certainly wasn't the worst MCU movie. The one thing that would have made this movie better would be if he used more spells. I'm not asking for much, but only the shields things and whips kinda suck.

youtube.com/watch?v=eBgaMSEY_0Y

IF you have got to learn the reasons to hate a movie, than you shouldn't probably hate it at all.

this movie was a 10/10! I fucking loved this movie!

i think op is an sjw and didn't like it because the asian dude was played by a white chick, but he would be even more mad if it was an asian dude because then all the sjw's would be crying that it was a racist asian stereotype

sjw's, not even once!

this movie was fucking great and easily cumberbatches best film so far! i loved him as doctor strange and everything that happened in the movie was bad ass and awesome!

Spoiler: I dismiss every opinion expressed on any chan board as being that of a bored child.

I concur.

It's getting fucking old the the first movie in any of these fucking series has to be a hero's journey origin story. A much better movie would have been someone needing to seek out the Dr. who is already a little known occult badass to stop some threat. Tell his origin in a 3 minute flashback. BOOM, done.

You're wrong. My father collected damn near the entire second volume of Strange while it was being printed, and he fucking loved the movie. He even liked Dormammu's look.
So fuck off.

The first third was really good. The way they handled the magic pretty much stunk on ice for me.
Sling rings? Seriously?

How much Dr Strange have you read user?

>Spent way too long doing the origin and not just, doing the thing.

>The only magic he ever actually does, is summon a sash to kung fu fight with, use his stupid sling ring thing to open portals, and fucking around with the infinity stone. The sling ring idea was dumb. I really don't like they made the eye of agamotto an infinity gem.
these

It was very Ditko/Lee Strange with a splash of The Oath.
They were right that shooting beams at each other would have been boring to watch, but I'm not sure I would have gone the full 'glowing weapons' route.

Some of the comedy bits felt out of place and the depiction of Dormammu was pretty bad, but the soundtrack and visuals were fucking stunning.

Still it felt a bit too "down to earth" for the type of shit Strange is known for getting into.

Yeah well my dad works for marvel and he says it sucks

I found it to be serviceable and unobjectionable.
I also think that while its character arc was fairly standard it was better realized than it had been in Iron Man. And the time reversal final fight was an interesting spin on the concept.

It didn't break the mold, but I don't understand this obsession with needing to. Different doesn't automatically mean good, and that's something this board has a hard time grasping sometimes.

>Better to be forgettable
Never

It wasn't even that trippy visually or narrative wise.

The only thing I missed was casting spells outloud.

People wanted Cumberbatch for his deep and powerful voice, and got none of that.

You're right, but the D*sney interns will flock in force here to astroturf your opinion. Hell it's already happening.

>I don't think Benedict cumberbatch was right for the role. He always feels out of place. like he tried to make doctor strange serious but sarcastic and funny and never quite hit any of those. it feels like he's trying to be the replacemental robert downey Jr if he stops doing marvel movies and he just doesn't cut it for me.

That doesn't sound like a Cumber-problem. He's a great actor with an astonishing work ethic. I felt it was more the producers/directors trying to mould him into a suitable Iron Man replacement.

Yeah, it's almost as if stories have some kind of formulaic approach and are actually just one single story with different details and aesthetics, right? I wonder if anyone thought of that. You're very bright, user.

These are exactly the reasons why I didn't like the movie. Whole thing felt like a generic marvel movie. Didn't have outstanding humor like Guardians or Ant-Man, or good action like the Cap movies.

The whole movie was banking on the special effects (which were admittedly good), but that's not enough to carry a whole movie on.

The thing with Mordo is that he believed in not messing with the natural laws.

When he saw that the Ancient One was using dark magic, he concluded that everything bad that happened was because of her missusage of magic.

"The bill comes to you, always." he said. He probably realised that magic itself is messing up with the natural laws, since it's using energy from different universes. Hence why he says there are "too many wizards", because magic itselfs is bad. He's probably going to steal everyone's magic then kill himself, I dunno.

Mordo's motives in the MCU are far more interesting than "I'm jelly cos AO gave Stephen the job I wanted!"

it's pretty obvious his motivation now is going to be to rid the world of sorcerers.He probably won't join Dormammu OR only target evil sorcerers. Problem solved.

they were really proud of their 3D fractal effects.

Exactly. He killed it as Smaug, it was a wonderful and powerful performance. He would have nailed "By the Hoary Hosts of Hagoth" or whether he says

He seems much more kung fu than wizard in it but still a fun movie

They really banked on it being their big thing.
I read dr. strange. The movie was nothing at all like the comics. There was a real old guy there by himself that was watching it and he left halfway through kind of disgusted.
This is the cancer these movies are made for.

DCEU magic is much much better

I was thinking they could just follow up with him beginning to form the Illuminati. Justify his absences as him "preparing" some unknown thing.

Why did they make Strange a Tony Stark copycat?

Awesome Mustache Bros

They were always very similar. Two characters created months apart, concepted by the same writer.

The traits that separate them are Tony's perpetual self-hatred and narcissism after becoming Iron Man contrasted with Strange's complete shift from rich asshole to a selfless calm man who would take it upon himself to protect the world from threats mystical with no need for the payment or recognition he valued before.
We didn't really see any of Strange's post-wealth selflessness until he came to bargain, and probably won't more until the next solo movie.

>competently made but utterly forgettable
Perfect description of every MCU movie since the Avengers. This includes Ant-Man, GOTG, Thor 2...every thing. INCLUDES Civil war. CW had exactly one scene that mattered...WS killing Tonys parents...that one scene took me by surprise and filled my mind full of the long term ramifications...and i bet it will never matter again in another MCU film.

>using Illuminati shit
>ever
absolutely disgusting.jpg

>but I'm not sure I would have gone the full 'glowing weapons' route.
If I recall, that's mooched straight out of Marvel Knights: Strange.
Which kinda sucked, too.

Mordo could well have a very legit reason/motive to kill Wanda, though.

I liked it and it's my favorite MCU movie, but that is pure fanboyism. That being said I can see why you would say that. The emphasis on the martial arts side, which seems to happen a lot with Strange, detracts from the mental nature that a lot of his best fights brought to the table. Having him show off so few spells and not having any incantations was also a big flaw. The Dormammu "fight" was more or less everything I could have asked for tho.