Out of the original 8 Cartoon Cartoons, which ones do you think have held up really well?

Out of the original 8 Cartoon Cartoons, which ones do you think have held up really well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rHTkVHPOjLM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Personally I think Courage was the best.

Courage, Ed Edd Eddy, and dexters lab. Honorable mention to PPG

Dexter, Johnny Bravo, PPG, EEnE, and Courage.

Also, does Ed Edd n Eddy belong on that list? I feel like that aired later than the others.

Courage the Cowardly Dog

that's pretty much it

The super-secret lost 9th one in the lower right corner.

Out of these? All of them pretty much. Don't know about the bottom left one, I recognise it but I don't think it ever aired in my country. At least I've never watched it.

All of them except Mike, Lu and Og which I hated even as a kid

>Mike Lu & Og references the twin towers once

certainly not that show lol

Agreed, Courage is the only one that really holds up even today. Probably why it's the only one to get a full DVD release (including the pilot!) IIRC.

'Cept the visual style maybe. It had that weird element of late 90's digital overexcitement

EE&E and Courage are pretty unique, and original PPG and Dexter's humor is still surprisingly sophisticated. So any of those.

Courage > EEE > DL

I liked Dexter, Johnny and the PPG.
Never cared for the rest.

Not sure what you're referring to, can you be more specific?

What is that?

Well let's see. I'll go watch an episode of each.

OK I'm back.

Dexter's Lab: still great, but dang. Dexter's a jerk.
Johnny Bravo: kek, well it's certainly easier to appreciate these characters now that I'm older, but I wouldn't call it great. also Johny Test totally ripped off the whipcrack thing from Johnny Bravo. Also his color scheme now that I think about it. And his name.
Cow and Chicken: well it was weird, but not very funny. Just tried to shotgun absurdities and hope some of them stuck.
Powerpuff Girls: eh. Couldn't get into it. Slow-paced and kind of obvious. Mojo's still fun, though.
EEnE: Oh man, this stuff's fantastic. Not a single wasted scene.
I Am Weasel: see Cow and Chicken. Some fun voice acting, but that's about it.
Mike Lou and Ogg: Ug. Start out strange, but piqued my interest since it wasn't at all what I expected, but god does it grate on all five senses if you watch it for more than two minutes.
Courage: Jesus, man. The concept of the episode was boring and made no damn sense, but it didn't matter. The atmosphere, voice acting, and music were so damn spectacular it could sell me corn starch and call it cocaine.

Courage > EEnE > Dexter's Lab >> Johny Bravo >> PPW > I am Weasel = Cow and Chicken >>> Mike Lou and Ogg

But just going off of one episode, so. You know.

Why were Megas XLR and Samurai Jack never made Cartoon Cartoons? It seems unfair.

You know, soft gradient shading everywhere, collage-type photo texturing, cheesy filters by the truckload.

Photoshop and CG in general unlocked the possibility of using that kind of stuff on the fly, and while it was an fun enough novelty back then, the results on hindsight range from mild to aggressive kitsch.

Those are from the following generation, right?

I'VE BEEN LOVING THE NEW POWERPUFF GIRLS, YOU GUYS!
SO FULL OF ACTION!
THE GIRLS ARE EVEN CUTER AND MORE ENDEARING.
WOW! JUST WOW, WHAT A GREAT SHOW!

El Joke is on you, gringos: Spanish NuPPG actually keeps the original voice actresses.

Rest of it is just as shitty tho

Seem pretty early 00s to me desu

Am I the only who didn't care or even hated the What A Cartoon + Cartoon Cartoon line-up?

I was watching Warner Brother proprietary shows and most 90s Foxkids franchise cartoons owned by Marvel such as X-Men.

I didn't get the Disney channel in my country, but I probably wouldn't have been too fond of it because it was too sappy and cheesy typical of Disney.

Ssssso why are you posting on this thread then?

Bong here, I don't ever remember Mike, Lu and Og being shown on our version of Cartoon Network, especially at the time of everything else on the list.

This. I don't think any TV kids comedy has ever topped original run Dexter's Lab for me. Not even pre-movie Spongebob.

>Johny Test totally ripped off Johnny Bravo's name
Never heard of Johnny Quest?

>PPG
>Slow-paced

Eh? Its first few seasons were pretty fast-paced with scene transitions and the humour, IMO. Season 4 did have a few really slow episodes, but thats because they decided to make every episode double length, with mixed results.

Season 5 and 6 did have a lot of "nothing happens" episodes, but who cares about those seasons, anyway.

Since I liked it so much as a kid, I gave Powerpuff Girls three different chances, all in the middle of season 2. They were even episodes I remembered fondly, but there were so many unnecessary scenes and scenes that went on forever that didn't even build the atmosphere or set up a joke or anything. Couldn't get into it.

The name was a joke. Or is Johnny Quest also plagued with whipcrack soundeffects? Maybe it is I haven't seen it in like 20 years.

>but there were so many unnecessary scenes and scenes that went on forever

Any examples?

Not really an "atmosphere" show though; I remember the pacing and comedy timing being pretty offbeat, so that might be what you're talking about, but I never saw it as an actual problem.

I wasn't really in a hurry to get done with the shows back then though.

Dexter (original seasons/artstyle only), PPG, EEnE, and Courage.

Johnny Bravo is okay, but does not hold up nearly as well as those four.

The other three shows are hot garbage and thus rightfully forgotten.

>the results on hindsight range from mild to aggressive kitsch

The usage of those techniques helped create the atmosphere of otherworld-ly oddness that defined the show's entire run. Would "Courage" have been as memorable if it had looked like all the other cartoons made at the time?

Dexter's Lab aged like milk and for a majority of episodes is not funny, won't even bother with the after-artstyle change episodes

Johnny Bravo isn't bad, Johnny himself starts to get grating but the characters around him often carry the weight

Cow & Chicken is more amusing than I remember, I Am Weasel still feels like the tacked-on pile of junk it always was

Powerpuff Girls is very good and I can see why people want it back (poor fools)

Ed Edd N Eddy I appreciate more technically because not only is it funny but a lot of the show remains better-made than a lot of modern shows since

Mike Lu and Ogg was forgettable and remains forgettable although I don't hate watching it

Courage remains an OG for cartoon standards, I wish newer ones had the balls to touch on the sort of schtick it had (genuine horror intermixed with genuine comedy)

It probably explains why you still watch Star vs. the Forces of Racemixing

My ranking

1. Courage the Cowardly Dog
2. Dexter's Lab
3. Powerpuff Girls
4. Ed, Edd n Eddy
5. Johnny Bravo
6. I Am Weasel
7. Cow & Chicken
8. Mike, Lu & Og

>Dexter's Lab aged like milk and for a majority of episodes is not funny

Strongly disagree. Most episodes still get me in stitches. More so than any of the other shows here.

Move Dexter down to 4 and move both PPG and EEnE up a spot, and you have my list.

If I had to watch all those today I would say EEE. I feel like I would get a lot more out of the visuals and humor than I would have when I was younger.

Name one, every episode I watched (and they were pretty mid season) had terrible pacing

The only one I recall not feeling this way was the arm-wrestling one

>The other three shows are hot garbage and thus rightfully forgotten.

CN never to return of those cartoons as to produce toys and dvd collection(e.g. Kids Collection Hall of Fame). They are definitely underrated cartoons user, but they aren't obscure to me

dexter, johnny bravo, PPG, EE&E, courage

mike, lu and og was like a 6/10 at best and the other two just flat out sucked ass.

Virtually any season 1 episode is pure comedy gold as far as I'm concerned. The cheese omelette one is a classic.

Also love the DnD episode from season 2.

This, desu.

Was Mike lu and Ogg the one with that
'On the island' theme song?

>shit you can easily google right now

Dude probably just has a mad on at genndy, user, think nothing of it, user.

I don't want to, but thanks.

>if you dont like my shit cartoon with poor animation, bad pacing and no jokes you're just mad

For outright comedy, EEnE is the cream of the crop. That show is a masterpiece and holds up fantastically today.

Courage is also on the top, as it tackles so many different subjects in unique ways that i can sing nothing but praise for it.

I was talking about dexter's lab, wouldn't you feel more comfortable in the SU thread with the rest of the contrarian nu-males?

EEnE and Courage came out the same year. Powerpuff one year before that.

Dexter's Lab>Ed, Edd n Eddy>Cow and Chicken>Powerpuff Girls>I Am Weasel>Johnny Bravo>Courage the Cowardly Dog>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mike, Lu & Og

Mike, Lu & Og is underrated is fucks.

I liked it better than Cow& Chicken which I remember being a Ren & Stimpy ripoff.
Why you'd rip off something as crap as Ren and Stimpy in the first place I can't imagine.

those uncanny backgrounds always gave me the creeps, also, i remember that courage was the only one not using drawn bg.

do you mean spanish from spain?

Basically the ones that are not cow&chicken, I am weasel and mike Lou and ogg

OP was so retarded so he made 3x3 chart instead of 2x4 one.

I didn't really care for any of them.

That doesn't make any of them bad, though.

Does not count

1st
It was made during the 2000s

2nd
It was never branded as a Cartoon Cartoon

Cow and Chicken is easily the worst one

Courage > EEE > PPG > Dexter > JB > C&C > Weasel > MLO

sounds about right
alto I would switch Dexter and PPG

I don't remember Mike, Lou, and Og too well. Something about kids on an island. I think I only saw one episode about them making some kind of candy or something.

I can still watch PPG, Ed Edd n Eddy and Johnny Bravo and laugh at the jokes.

The rest of them, not so much.

Courage is the most consistent, but I prefer EEnE overall. Those are the overall best of the 8.

PPG is below them, being pretty consistent itself, but not on the level of quality as the previous. Dexter & Johnny Bravo started out really great but later more modern seasons were middling so overall they're dragged down.

C&C and I Am Weasel were alright, but I wouldn't either were great. Mike Lu & Ogg is the worst of the bunch, but mostly because it's forgettable.

Mike, Lu and OG.

God damn, right in my childhood OP, right in my childhood.

youtube.com/watch?v=rHTkVHPOjLM

I still can't believe this shit was real. It was a pretty standard episode, but just the idea of "YO DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE BANNED EPISODE WHERE THEY SAY FUCK" being legit floored me when [as] put it out.

Jhonny bravo, ppg, ed ed and eddy, and dexters lab.