HE TOOK THAT SLAP RIL GUD

IN A CLASSIC MANNER ONE MIGHT SAY

MILKSHAKE

Best movie in the last 10 years right?

I DRINK IT UP

best movie of the new millennium friend

A classical manner, Paulus Dano?

IF YOU HAVE A MILKSHAKE

isn't it kinda funny how this movie could be seen as both pro and anti religion if you think about it?

>keep recommending this movie to people
>they don't watch it

PTA PUT IN A PLEB FILTER IN THE BEGINNING

HELLISH SCREECHING MUSIC FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES

THEY HAVE PROVEN UNWORTHY TO RECEIVE HIS MASTERPIECE

Actual kino is able to make nuanced points about topics and lend itself to discussion. Flicks can be boiled down to things like
>DUDE RELIGION IS BAD LMAO

When is it ever pro-religion?

>I TOLD YOU I WOULD EAT YOU
What did he mean by this?

yes I've made a deal with Union and my son is happy and safe. and you look like a FFFFFFOOL don't you Tillford

forced analingus

I say this to my cat all the time

it's blatantly anti-religious. there isn't a moment of the book or film that is pro-religion. you're demanding postmodernism from a film that was adapted from an upton sinclair novel. i know that means nothing to you but i can promise it's utterly retarded

DON'T BULLY ME PTA

DID YOU THINK YOUR QUIPS AND YOUR CGI FESTS WOULD SAVE YOU, PLEB?
I AM THE TRUE PATRICIAN
IIIIIIIIIIII AM THE TRUE PATRICIAN

LA LA LA LA LA

Church of the Third Revelation

What were the first two revelations?

Remember after the baptism (BEG FOR THE BLOOD) Daniel whispered something to Paul Dano? I think the script said "if you ever make an ass out of me again I'll eat you piece by piece"

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Maybe my mind is making up stuff, I need to re-watch this, but after the baptism didn't he just say something like "now that oil is mine," speaking to himself?

Didn't it suddenly cut to black? Quite "lost"-y, it's just missing that sudden, loud hitting sound at the time of the cut.

I'VE ABANDONED MY MILKSHAKE

Right after he had the water poured on him, he said "that's a pipeline" to himself, before saying the eating line to Paul Dano

I am a dubs man, ladies and gentlemen.

ACROOOOOOSSSS

So were Union Oil /ourguys/?

Oh fuck off.

GET THEM LIQUORED UP AND TAKE THEM TO THE PEACH TREE DANCE

What?

Did he make the right call?

is this even humanly possible

What? Of course. You can't drink a bottle of water, user?

>hEy gUyZ iS mUrDeR OK?

His drinking habits in this film are just brutal. He's always waking up on the floor looking like he almost died

That's how water was packaged back then. A man like Daniel back then would NEVER drink vodka or gin

>water
heh

Is there a consensus to what the movie tries to say?

WOAHHHHH
check my satanic six

>this movie could be seen as both pro and anti religion

Pro religion how?

>Daniel is and always was a moster
>Capitalism enables and rewards people like him
>YOU'RE JUST A BASTARD IN A BASKET
BASTARD IN A BASKET

Daniel is clearly meant to be the most despicable person in the movie and is completely irreligious.

Daniel is a tortured soul and probably could've been saved if he actually accepted god instead of pretending to, but that church was fake as fuck and the preacher was a sniveling scam artist just using religion to further himself.

I assume the book is anti-capitalist, but plainview was always a broken man in the film. Unless the message was "under capitalism, a SOB like this wll cheat you like plainview cheats people," but then it's a weird choice to have that evil capitalist as the sympathetic villain. That and anti-religion (organized religion at least).

>but that church was fake as fuck and the preacher was a sniveling scam artist just using religion to further himself.

Not really selling your argument my man. Where is the pro-religion part of the movie?

>Daniel is clearly meant to be the most despicable person in the movie

I actually don't get this capitalism vs religion shit, it just sounds like first year film student shit.

I think people miss that his desire for a connection and for a family. He adopts the son of a worker who died, and it looks like just opportunism, presenting himself as a widower, using the son to gain trust. But when he meets his (fake) brother it seems clear he's been looking for family, someone to share his work with. His brother is the only person he seems to care for and connect with in the movie aside from his fake son.

Being betrayed like that breaks him further and turns him even more of an asshole.

It's almost never mentioned in reviews though, even though it's so much clearer than the thematic crap about religion and capitalism people keep talking about.

A broken, cynical man who doesn't want to rely on anyone else or be exploited by anyone else, yet seems to want or even need a family connection and a purpose to his work.

Spot on. "I'm finished." at the end isn't some "omg capitalism defeats religion" epic struggle one liner, it's just him severing the last connection he needed to maintain with other people.

Eli could've just as easily been Tilford.

Actually coming to terms with your degeneracy, anger, and family issues, treating your son right, not being a suicidal alcoholic, and looking for salvation isn't dependant on one fucked up wanna be cult leader in some rural desert town.

When Daniel was baptized and yelled out his sins that didn't seem fake, he really admitted his issues, then there was some peace afterwards, but his son going deaf and that guy pretending to be his brother made him go back to hating God and humanity again.

There are definitely elements of pro religion just like anti religion, it's a great multi dimensional story with a lot of depth.

Don't trivialize it like it's capeshit with only one clear cut view point.

Yeah, I don't see it as both pro and anti religion, but neither. The only way religion comes into play is the church getting in Daniel's way as a separate entity, and the conflicts that arise between him and Eli as a result. Eli grapples with his commitment to God, Daniel has a bit of a god conflict of his own. I really don't see any broader commentary there, just a working plot device. It's a character study movie.

>When Daniel was baptized and yelled out his sins that didn't seem fake, he really admitted his issues, then there was some peace afterwards

I don't think you can seriously see that scene and think there's an ounce of belief or sincerity to the ceremony in him.

There is, however, regret. The "abandoned your child" line hits him hard. And I would argue that this clearly shows he's not the unemotional asshole he looks to be. He genuinely cares for his adopted son and wants him back. He feels regret over having sent him away.

Again I think this much more clearly ties to his conflict and wanting a family than any belief.

> and looking for salvation isn't dependant on one fucked up wanna be cult leader

This is the problem with any pro-religion message in the movie. Eli is clearly just a scam artist looking to get rich off religion. He admits it in the end.

No baptism performed by Eli could be genuinely religious, because he's a dishonest vessel. No salvation can come from a charlatan, and Daniel clearly sees this and Eli as such.