Why do nu males think because they draw shitty blob comics on a tablet they are equivalent to Tex Avery?

Why do nu males think because they draw shitty blob comics on a tablet they are equivalent to Tex Avery?

Other urls found in this thread:

theonion.com/article/expert-international-jewish-conspiracy-has-never-b-55354
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/10/131008-women-handprints-oldest-neolithic-cave-art/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't think they do, I just think they're saying that self-doubt is something all artists experience.

rly megs u tink

This isn't just nu males. It's everyone who works in a bubble without criticism. Which is an alarming number of people.

You're not an artist OP so you just won't understand

I believe I have done more for art than "Sephko". At least I've been featured in galleries - what do people like this do? Complain on twitter?

I understand that it's for the sake of a joke, but I think a lot of people legitimately seem to forget that even in the oldest recorded histories, ancient people used to talk about how ancient history seemed and how much they'd forgotten from the old civilizations and how important it was to gather relics of the past. Like, I think people legit think there was just one magical generation of cavemen that started inventing the wheel and fire and shit, instead of shit being lost and reinvented over and over until it didnt get obliterated by nature. I would argue that the entirety of human civilization isnt so much built on creation as much as the rediscovery, recreation, and recontextualization of ancient ideas (at least when it comes to art), and that subversive modernist art is a relatively new invention in comparison.

I think the joke is that the setup makes it look like it's going to be one of those "inspirational" comics that get thrown around on Tumblr, then throws an actual punchline at the reader.

people romanticising the past isn't anything new either. The Greeks felt like civilisation was just one big downward spiral and the glory days were long in the past. In the Illiad they bitch about how men are much weaker at the time than they were in the past, which is a story about that has man fighting a river so hard it stops drowning him

Right, that's why ancient civilizations already had computers and the Internet and we've just reinvented them. Oh wait...

Its almost like having something older and better to aspire to be like is a key component in driving civilization forward, or at least reinventing culture and transforming it into something better.

What exactly do you think inspired people to invent those?

It's interesting because the history of art we study in school is significantly an invented narrative and there's probably a lot to be gained by looking at older, ancient art and seeing what it actually was over this idea of cave paintings > bad art (but also the Greeks somehow) > perspective gets invented > Italians > modern era.

Well technically speaking, egyptians used the same kind of math they use for modern computer binary systems.

But you look back enough, rome had a ton of modern shit that was obliterated and took years to get rediscovered. Like, surprisingly modern shit.

What made you want to make a post this worthless? Do you not get how a shitpost OP works against actual discussion like and its subsequent replies?

Who says they were "inspired"?
Pop positivity is a modern American invention, you know.

Well, you'll always have Lemuria, Atlantis and Mu.

The bottom line is that, in technological terms, it really is "different this time". And technology means a lot, especially when you remember it's not just digital stuff but also things like medicine.

>it's a "let's distort and subvert western values until it gets destroyed for something demonstrably worse instead of building upon the knowledge of our ancestors" episode

post your work

Go fuck yourself Giorgio Vasari

>western values
That's a good joke user.

is third panel from the renaissance? Because they didn't give a fuck about old art. They liked the statues but it didn't take long for them to completely obliterate the romans/greeks art-wise in every single area

Northern Renaissance over Italian Renaissance desu.

Everything you know, everything you experience, the culmination of your civilization up to this point that makes it possible for you to be a free person not fearful of death, is western values. Everything classically good that you take for granted, is western values.

How fucking dare you spit on the grave of your ancestors.

You bastard child.

Fucking cave guy is the best though. Fuck you and your subpar shit

>it's a "user's never studied history in an academic fashion but wants to keep spouting his wrong opinions about historical progress" episode.

>At least I've been featured in galleries
Means fucking nothing. Depending on where you live, any random shmuck can be "featured in a gallery".

lol

>thinking academic history isn't biased

What, are you retarded? The Renaissance might as well have been called the "lets do what the Greeks did because we love Greece so much and are so much better than us" era. In fact the entire concept of "the old masters" comes from the Renaissance era. Hell, it took until Nietzsche for them to stop worshiping the ground that Plato walked on

>all the other artists are copying other older artists
>caveman draws what he sees, an animal he hunted, with the miniscule amount of materials available to him since, remember, this is a time when people had to make art supplies out of berries and rocks instead of going to uncle giovanni's art supply store

literally more based, more masculine, more real to life, and more legitimate an artist than any of these modern cucks could hope to be.

Hahahahahahshahahshahshhahaha

Sure user, the drawing that you made as a kid and was put on a fridge is a "gallery". Otherwise, post your site or blog here.

This may be true to some extent, but the quality of the art is seriously lacking in comparison. It's a tradeoff.

>academic history

I have a cousin who went into that, he tells me they start every course by saying they're viewing history through a modern, enlightened, feminist and progressive and PoC friendly lens.

You don't have to take my word for it, go look some of the harvard lectures up, they really do start them off like that.

I want to gas the fag who pushed "nu" as a replacement for "new".

You're right, I forgot about philosophy and law. In terms of painting they left the greeks/romans behind pretty quick. Although for sculpture and architecture they liked referencing them a lot.

>I have a cousin
Stopped reading right there.

This

theonion.com/article/expert-international-jewish-conspiracy-has-never-b-55354

I hope someday people start unironically using the neo- suffix

what part of
>you dont have to take my word for it
didnt you get

This is the case for all but the most hardcore STEM now, and even those are starting to get this treatment.

>not taking anecdotes as fact or at the very least as something worth reading
wtf?

But he did get it, and he chose not to take your word.

>google it shitlord!

user, please post at least one of these harvard lectures, or give us a link to them. Provide your own sources, and people will be more inclined to believe you.

>M-m-m-muh new mails

Try and be more subtle next time polack

Is this a series? Because I recall someone dressed just like that but like fallen face down on the snow.

Yeah, that one. Is this some esoteric japanese meme?

I think we can all agree that powdered wigs were an embarrassing misstep, though.

Hell, we have Assyrian records bitching about how the youth had forgotten the values of their storied ancestors.

Funny thing, the powdered wig fad was destroyed primarily through the efforts of a single English noble who thought it looked stupid.

is that true? who is this hero

Juss for u

not naming the file

>Midnightinparis

I'm disappointed in you.

How is stem being turned feminist and progressive? its like you can claim numbers and data is oppressive right?

They're basically banning anything that doesn't support the "cause". Even if it's empirically sound.

r/the_donald please leave

STEMfag here. Can confirm. The department rejected my proposal for a computational model of Broca's area because it didn't include anything about recognizing gendered language constructs.

nice retarded screencap?

>anecdote

post discarded

every generation had a bad fashion trend user...

>first hand account
You can't just dismiss something because it's not a research paper.

I mean I guess you can but that just makes you look like a faggot. It's not like he's saying he knows a guy, he's outright claiming his logically sound proposal was rejected on the basics of gendered language bullshit.
You'd be much better claiming he's not in STEM and just making this up than shouting anecdote at a claim to authority.

>going into psychology graduate programs
>liberally leaning but hate the progressive/if you disagree with us you are a racist bigot

..am I fucked?

The caveman paintings were done by women.

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/10/131008-women-handprints-oldest-neolithic-cave-art/

>You'd be much better claiming he's not in STEM and just making this up than shouting anecdote at a claim to authority.
Protip user, that is the implication when someone throws out an anecdote like that. I'm not even the user you're replying to (but I also think user is being satirical).

>it's a "let's pretend we like Western values despite disagreeing with every Western philosopher of note or importance and instead agree with the philosophies of deranged retards on the internet" episode

Yep, you should trust anons on Sup Forums over your lived experience of education and your degree program.

Or, you know, he's bullshitting.

But I do follow a Western philosophy, user. After all, Karl Marx was a superior German philosopher.

The implications is that he's a faggot repeating the same half assed discredit that gets thrown around all the time.
"And my dad works at Nintendo" is a less tired line than "anecdote."

I'd be less annoyed if he was actually using anecdote correctly. You don't claim anecdote against someone with a position of authority, you use it to point out hearsay and second hand information, or an incomplete story.

And yeah probably but pardon my autism at least use fucking words correctly goddamn.

He was Jewish.

So you're telling me people tell lies and over exaggerate on Sup Forums?

We're gonna lose it again. Not all of it, but a lot of it.

No, I'm saying the opposite. You should definitely trust everything you read here and base all your life decisions on it.

But he lived in the West and organized the principles of his world view in reaction to the West.

>forgetting Doggerland

you can't talk about this without elaborating

These are all wrong.

These are correct. Good job, you two!

Whether it's "my dad works at nintendo" or "this really happened to me" or - most poignantly - "I am an expert", the fact that it's an anecdote is far far far less important than the fact that it's from some asshole on the internet. Even sources can be illegitimate or outright false, which is why it's important to let your audience scrutinize them as much as your own words. I'm also in case you were wondering.

I was indeed bullshitting.

I'm actually designing a model of the inferior colliculus and haven't finished getting my proposal together, let alone submitting it. The fact that I've been a working undergrad for nine years is likely to be more relevant than any PC police.

I suspected you were bullshitting. Ultimately I didn't care.
I was again, just being pedantic over his incorrect use of the term anecdote because I'm bored and have nothing better to do before I go into work and have a little bit more of my spirit crushed.

I can appreciate that. I've come to believe that pedantry will actually be a worthwhile thing, what with the nascent-ongoing delegitimization of journalism and all.

Whatever happens at work, know that today you've done your part to keep our bloated and rugose social discourse retain some semblance of fitness.

I can't tell if you're making fun of me or not.

>lie in an attempt to prove a point
>complain about delegitimization of journalism

>I know exactly how people in a time before recorded History thought and felt.

>subversive modernist art is a relatively new invention in comparison.

Read Yeats, Pound and Joyce. Modernism isn't particularly any different from the "rediscovery" you described right there.

It inspired planking

what am I wrong about I asked a question

>An instructional example is lying "in an attempt to prove a point".

>Shitposting and professional journalism should be on the same level.

It's what people used before nu.

You were worried by the post of some autist on Sup Forums to be a genuine reflection of reality.

Why are we still doing these posts. Please stop. This is tragic.

The idea that newer is better is just as destructive as the idea that everything was better back in the days.

This the japanese planking?

but I was only pretending to be retarded.

You pretended well enough to fool me. You must now either hit yourself on the head with a brick until you actually are as retarded as you pretend to be, or end all of your sarcastic posts with a spoilered winky emote.

I'm leaving the choice of whichever's worse to you because clearly the responsibility for this misunderstanding lies entirely on your end. Clearly.

We need another Renaissance.

;)

,':-^ )