Blade Runner vs Ghost in the Shell

The title is very explicative c'mon let's start this shitstorm.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DgC52a1JRX0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

GitS is the only cyberpunk movie of 2017 that matters.

Please lets talk only of the GITS's anime i don't want to hear anything about the 017 aaptation monstruosity.

GiTS.

It handles the "What is human?" angle much more elegantly. It's not like Blade Runner, where Scott felt the need to beat you over the head with clumsy, hamfisted metaphors. Instead, the Major discusses the quandary for a couple minutes in a elevator, and they move on.

lol

Yep GITS is my favorite too.

Both are reddit core

dat jap cartoon woldnt even exist witout brade runnah

Ghost in the Shell, if I had to choose.

Ghost in the Shell is far more realistic in terms of where we think the future might go. Cyborg bodies will probably become reality within 100 years from now.

Blade Runner is more of a deus ex machina situation to make for a compelling story. Replicants don't really make much logical sense. Notably, if you could make Replicants you could do untold numbers of other things to human bodies.

Ghost in the Shell is a better sci-fi movie, Blade Runner is a more enjoyable piece of art.

That can be true but that doesn't mean that it can't be better.

GitS.

This is a bit off-topic, but I'd like to mention that GitS 2 is awful, and manages to fail in every way that GitS 1 succeeded.

By GitS 2 you mean Inocence or the live action?

Innocence. I haven't seen the live action version.

>I haven't seen the live action version.
Good don't do that. About inocence it wasn't bad but looks like if Mamoru Oshi decided to move to Abstracto Ville and never returned. At the end it has a far amount og goods scnes like the labyrinth scene.

>At the end it has a far amount og goods scnes like the labyrinth scene

Yeah, that one definitely stood out to me. I just found that overall the movie was very self-indulgent where the first showed restraint, in terms of the philosophy, action, effects, plot, everything.

You want to hear a funny thing the wkipedia page of the movie says that is necesary read two books to understand the movie i mean WTF?

What are your thoughts on Android netrunner?

GitS asks "What is human?"
Blade Runner tells you "ANDROID R HUMNS TO LOL"

This

GITS wouldn't exist if it didn't have BR to badly mimmiograph, so BR

youtu.be/DgC52a1JRX0

While I agree with him I hate him
He's annoying and wrong most of the time
Also he's fucking retarded when it comes to BR 2049

i agree with the whitewashing shit but this guy is annoying as fuck and a peabrain

>says japan completely copies hollywood
>doesnt even mention or is too stupid to know that star wars and the dollars trilogy completely ripped off Kurosawa

>GITS wouldn't exist if it didn't have BR to badly mimmiograph, so BR

From what I understand, Oshii says he was partly influenced by BR, not entirely inspired by it. Much of what's depicted in GiTS comes from other sources. The futuristic city, and a lot of the run-down outer-city parts are obviously and explicitly references to Hong Kong. The movie takes its main story and lots of its imagery\ideas from the manga by Shirow, and Shirow doesn't attribute his ideas to BR does he?

Can anyone actually list the things we're supposed to believe are taken directly from BR? There aren't giant fireball explosions in GiTS, there aren't giant pyramid structures, it's not set in LA. Are we supposed to believe the idea of a city in the future at night is somehow BR-esque or something?

Ghost in the Shell>Blade Runner
GHost in the Shell 2

Nah, it's philosophy felt way more hamfisted
I cringed at the scene with her and Batou on the boat or whatever when they heard a random voice

Blade Runner. I think GITS 2 is almost as good as Blade Runner, though, and that it is better than the first. I just wish they'd been less hamfisted with the literature quotes.

Blade Runner. As far as GitS, I prefer 2nd GIG

>I cringed at the scene with her and Batou on the boat or whatever when they heard a random voice

What's your problem with this scene? Why did it make you cringe?

Wasn't that the Puppet Master talking to Matoko? Also, what does your second statement have to do with the first?

>Nah, it's philosophy felt way more hamfisted

One thing I really liked about GitS is that the characters actually spoke about the relevant philosophical issues like human beings would, instead of most of these kinds of sci fi movies where there's some character that asks a "thought-provoking question" and the MC just stares dumbly or dodges the question.

This. Tell more more about this new franchise.

GiTS felt incomplete when I watched it. Like there were missing scenes. Did I just watch a shitty international version that was cut down? I just don't get the hype if that isn't the case, but it is beautifully animated. Haven't watched SAC.

I liked the final scenes with the tank and Majors arms ripping off, but once again I didn't understand why she did that.

I despise anime

Blade Runner > Innocence > GITS 2017 > GITS 1995 > BR2049

>but once again I didn't understand why she did that

Watch it again.

Imagine believing this, but unironically.

Yes, I do enjoy film as an art form unlike you.

I just don't understand how you can enjoy film as an art form and place GitS 2017 higher on the list than 1995 or BR2049.

muuuh waifuuuu

I know people love Blade Runner very much, but I really was not feeling the whole product. One thing I will not deny is that it's a fucking gorgeous movie, the vistas alone are worth the price of entry
GITS is smart, but not too smart, so it makes pseuds like me feel extremely special. Doesn't hurt that Oshii basically overworked the entire animation studio to push out those visuals. Also rate the poster I bought

Anime is for brainlets who think they are smart. Bladerunner outclasses gits in every single way.

Memes aside, 2017 is a very beautiful movie that's easily comparable to 1995. Thing is I don't have any particular attachment to the 1995 movie or the GITS franchise. Oshii himself made a better GITS adaptation with Innocence and it's even further removed from the manga. 2017 is a synthesis of both Oshii films which makes it more interesting than 1995 and as such more rewatchable. BR2049 is just silly and incoherent, some nice looking shots though.

>no breasts
One job

Fair enough. I found 2017 to be pretty empty, and its reuse of scenes from 1995 pretty shallow fanservice.

I couldn't understand what was going on in GiTS, so Blade Runner.

Man, I've seen GitS three times and I still couldn't tell you which factions wanted what and who was behind which conspiracies and subconspiracies by the time it ended. Thankfully that stuff is all largely irrelevant.

>as franchises
Ghost in the Shell

>as single movies
Blade Runner

But honestly, I love both, so it's difficult to choose. They also compliment each other, because I feel they tell different stories: GitS's future is more upbeat and deals with cyborgs, while Blade Runner is gritty and deals with replicants/robots.

Here's an unpopular opinion
Other than great animation and art direction GITS has nothing really going for it, it's not terrible of course, but the plot is both dumb and unnecessarily vague and too simplistic all at the same time, as someone who likes cyberpunk literature and media as well as anime, it was so underwhelming, characters were all really boring and bland, the universe it takes place in is largely unexplored which makes it all seem like a collection of references to various cyberpunk literature mixed with its own source material that just left me unimpressed.
If you want to watch GITS, just read the manga or watch SAC.
If you want a cyberpunk anime then Serial Experiments Lain is pretty much the best there is, but Ergo Proxy and Psycho Pass are also good recs.

While many of those things also apply to Blade Runner, this movie has atmosphere, it has good music and a much more interesting direction, we get to see the world more, and the characters too, the plot is really simple but serves as a great vehicle for delivering cyberpunk concepts, pieces of information about the world it takes place in and your run of the mill philosophy, while still being subtle. The noir-inspired elements of the movie also help it stay enjoyable and relatable as a whole.
Blade Runner and GITS aren't the best movies ever and are frequently overjoyed as that and as some masterpieces of Cyberpunk.
Imo

>we get to see the world more
You can have your opinions, but how do you justify this claim? Both movies - Ghost in the Shell (1995) and Blader Runner (1982) - mainly show the one city where everything happens.

>as someone who likes cyberpunk literature and media as well as anime, it was so underwhelming
Something tells me you didn't saw GitS back in 1995, or at the very least a couple of years later, with the VHS release.

No I didn't saw it lol I was born in 1998 in an ex commie country, I didn't know about GITS until 2015 and Blade Runner just a couple years earlier. Not that it matters, because watching shit in theaters is inferior anyway, and I'm not biased by nostalgia.

By seeing the world more, I don't mean the size in square kilometers, I mean the essence, atmosphere, it's more fleshed out and detailed in Blade Runner than GITS.

>watching shit in theaters is inferior anyway, and I'm not biased by nostalgia
Thought as much. Millennial opinions are automatically discarded.

Also, it's not just nostalgia, but obviously if you have seen animes like SEL and Psycho-Pass BEFORE GITS, then the impact is lost. But had you seen GITS first, you'd understand how far ahead of its time it was.

It's complete opposite of hamfisted. Batou's "everyone treats you like a human so stop with the angst" was a hundred times more realistic than any Hollywood sci-fi dialogue.

GitS 1995 > Innocence=Blade Runner > SAC 2nd gig > SAC > SAC SSS > Blade Runner 2049 > Arise > GitS 2017

why is japan to tsundere towards the west lads

>Muh millennial Boogeyman
Kys Gramps, can't wait for theatres to finally die off so everything is straight-to-netflix
>BEFORE
Calm down projector
I saw GITS before SEL, GITS was my first entry into cyberpunk, and I researched it twice since, after finishing the rest of the franchise, SEL was only released three years after GITS anyway, and a much better piece of cyberpunk media, far more creative and interesting, that really got me into cyberpunk fiction a long time ago around 2016.

*Rewatched
Not reviewed ffs autocorrect lol

Fug, hahaha
*Researched
Not reviewed kek

Ghost in the Shell (1995) is superior to Blade Runner in my opinion. I really like both though, and especially 2049 (despite some issues I had with dialogue and exposition).

A side note: the 2.0 version of GitS 1995 is a travesty.

The absolute state of millennial phoneposters...

>the 2.0 version of GitS 1995 is a travesty
Yeah, the CGI scenes are horrible. Every time I recommend people to see GITS, I need to add that they should watch the original version, and avoid the shitty rerelease.