So is embracing absurd-ism and nihilism the only way to make a very successful "adult" animated series these days?

So is embracing absurd-ism and nihilism the only way to make a very successful "adult" animated series these days?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bIfzyYT1Oho
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yeah lol

No, it's just the way to get Sup Forums to not shut up about them.

Bojack Horseman is neither though

whatever helps you sleep well

it is the only way to live

I think you gotta have some level of casual absurdism to get "normies" to deal with the fact that it's just a cartoon. If you make it too real and too serious, people are just going to tune out because in the public view cartoons are still just silly pictures. It's blatant with stuff like Rick & Morty (as well as with some great older stuff like Harvey Birdman), but even with Bojack Horseman, which does get tend to get very real and serious, you've got the fact that it's a fucking horse to distract people from it.

The nihilism is entirely optional, but it's very popular in a post-South Park "caring about things is dumb" environment. Which is especially important because the normies looking for adult cartoons today pretty much grew up on South Park.

I think you really need to think about what you just said.

Bojack is a show that literally showcases the damage that our shallow, nihilistic, abusive city Western city culture does to our happiness and souls. Rick and Morty is a wacky show that takes the "super genius scientist" cliche to a comedic reducto ad absurdum. Basically the answer is no, but they do confront it, both seriously and as satire.

How the hell is Bojack Horesman absurd or nihilistic?

Because everything is horrible

BACK

are animal heads absurdism now?
Is a guy that has no ambition in life nihilism now?

stop throwing these fucking buzzwords around

I say you're right about Bojack. Rick and Morty tackles nihilism caused by the infinite universe, rather than western life.

I for one, find being insignificant in the universe liberating.

How about stealing the D from the fucking Hollywood sign, or building an entire broken theme park, the entire situation over fucking muffins, when the entire water city was saved from pasta via pasta strainers?

You're a fucking idiot.

is this a troll post or are you legitimately stupid?

Doesn't the show sort of play with that too, though? It's that very liberation that destroyed Rick.

Yes. Because if you don't have topics that aren't acceptable to show kids, you've made a kids show.

Yeah, it does. Just saying it leans more towards the universe than western life.

It destroyed Rick. Doesn't destroy everyone. Which is why I like one character from Bojack is handling it, forget his name, but being happy in spite of it all.

>the normies looking for adult cartoons today pretty much grew up on South Park

that is the best case scenario
worst case scenario, they grew-up on Family Guy

Mr. peanutbutter? He is such a good, good boy.

Cute bait OP

Diane doesn't deserve him

Fuck Diane

this

Bojack is literally a cautionary tale that shows the horror of a nihilistic way of life

It is because "adult" cartoons aren't watched by adults, but rather teens who can't help but feel like not caring about anything is the same as being above everything. Then they will embrace that attitude/ be a bad copy of it and waste their youth browsing the internet thinking "this is the most I'm gonna get out of life anyway" instead of figuring out what they want to make out of it. They could have asked a girl out to prom BUT THEY HAD TO BE ON AN ANONYMOUS IMAGE BOARD RIDICULING PEOPLE FOR BEING MANLETS DESPITE BEING 5'9 HIMSELF AND NOW SHE IS WITH FUCKING JORDAN AND I WISH I NEVER DISCOVERED THIS GODDAMN WEBSITE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

i don't know about you user but Sup Forums actually made me start caring a lot about things i didn't know about, and it made me politically active

it's because of Sup Forums that i chose what college degree to get.

>that scene with Captain Peanutbutter in Labrador
Dude fuck Bojack's problems, that shit broke my heart. I was bawling. Way too close to home. At least it worked out okay.
This really becomes more apparent as you stick through it. Watching it all together, you can really feel the theme of the show come through. Especially the ending of this season. It hit me pretty hard.

Isn't Samurai Jack on Adult Swimm the most viewed show of the channel?

Isn't Samurai Jack the show with the highest or second highest ratings on its demographic on all of cable television?

All of this across 4 weeks?

youtube.com/watch?v=bIfzyYT1Oho

is that an adult swin channel tan?

That is surprisingly not nearly as sad as I thought it would be.

>adult swim-tan
>not actually an adult
poetry

kinda like their audience

No, clearly not. Neither of these shows focus on either absurdism or nihilism, they just incorporate it. Rick and Morty is an examination of existentialism (which is distinct from nihilism), while Bojack is an examination of our own culture through the lens of some perceived as 'successful.'

I swear, Sup Forums just gets more obtuse every day.

Adults don't watch cartoons.

Christ, user. That's probably the most pitiful reason to waste money I've ever heard.

I fucking despise it when something I forgot/didn't pay much mind to back then comes back and everyone is hyped to the fucking max and won't shut the hell up about it.

I'm just left wondering 'holy shit, there's no way this garbage is actually this popular' because I never thought much about it as much as anyone else. happened with fallout, mass effect, and now samurai jack for me. like what the fuck else is there?

You don't know about Channel tans? We have threads about them on every weekend.

Nostalgia revival means cash. Also fallout went from niche game to normie wacky sci fi stuff

The twist: user is on a crusade to make shitposting illegal.

>Didn't know fallout and mass effect were popular

DO YOU LIVE IN A CAVE??

You're either retarded and ignorant and don't know what those alleged "buzzwords" mean, or you're trolling.

>I'm just left wondering 'holy shit, there's no way this garbage is actually this popular' because I never thought much about it as much as anyone else.
Are you actually that delusionally self-important? Holy shit, see a therapist.

You're not the center of the universe dipshit.

Nobody gives a fuck about you and your crotchety, grouchy opinions about how things aren't as great as you remember mean nothing. In all likelihood, you and your life got shitty rather than everything else getting shitty. The shitty smell you smell is your own shittiness.

It's called Sup Forumsmblr for a reason.

This doesn't have anything to do with SJWs, you're just a fucking moron.

by that logic, simpsons is absurdist too.

you guys dont know what absurdism is.

Believing we live in a purposeless and chaos filled universe where nothing we do or care about really matters?

Umm....

It's not about the SJW mentality you stupid nigger.

then why did you say Sup Forumsmblr you fucking moron.

Jesus Christ dude what?

Yes?

Nothing user. Nothing at all.

>waaaaah life is meaningless
And yet you're still here. Weird how that works.

Are you even following the conversation you dumbass?

bitch

What? Are you stupid or not following the conversation at all? The user asked if we didn't know what absurdism was.

Neither of those shows are even a smidgen nihilist.