Part 4 - Taco Whiz
Part 5 - The Contest (pre-Crisis)
Part 6 - The Contest
Part 7 - The Challenge of Artemis
Part 8 - Paradise Lost + 1988 Bonus Books

And heeeeere we go

>is called Bird of Prey
>Huntress and Black Canary appeared in earlier arcs but not this one

Hey I'm actually kind of early to this one. Hi OP.

Howdy friend

I bet Doctor Psycho's files are really disturbing to read.

How goes it on this Saturday night?

I really like mom Hippolyta. And even more how Diana reacts to her like most daughters do with their moms at that time of their life.

And everything gets fucked

Hey Tex.

Poor Vanessa. ;_;

Not much. You are fortunately sparred from having to put up with me trying to force a conversation about whatever latest game I'm into.

Sonic powers in comics tend to basically just be really big lasers.

There's a costume that feels like it should have been drawn by Deodato.

I literally don't get to talk about games any time except in storytimes so it's not a bad thing at all.

>stipend the amazons gave you
I'm actually super interested in how this works.

Rucka's run was pretty much the first entire run I wanted to read of Wondie after I first got into her, and right in the first arc of that it has Vanessa Silver Swan.

After I read that I started Perez's run, and did a double take when Vanessa was introduced. So basically reading that whole run and then WML's and Byrne's I was expecting Vanessa to become the Swan at any moment, but didn't get to actually read this run till waaaay later.

Byrne actually showed it as them handing her some gold coins on Themyscira, IIRC. No explanation of what the coins actually are, if they're used as currency on Themyscira which has never seemed to have an economy, when they were made and by who, no, they're from ancient Greece, therefore they just have pockets full of gold doubloons.

So I imagine Diana going down to a pawn shop, dumping an armful of giant gold coins on the desk, and going "how much can I get for these in American currency?"

Then the Pawn Stars dude looking at them for a minute and going "I can give you fifty bucks for them".

That's weird enough but how it translates to regular world cash has to be an odd process too. Does Diana have a regular pawnshop she goes to? Is there some agency connected to her supporting cast or capes in general that'll handle cashing it to US dollars? Do the Amazons have front companies in the regular world?

I would imagine some kind of selling off of artifacts myself, or maybe even just selling the location of ancient Greek treasure sites.

"But these are coins found solely on the island of Themyscira that only a handful of men have ever set foot upon, they are historically unique and forged from solid gold"

"Sixty bucks, that's the best I can do"

>WW asks them to explain the name of the show

The Amazons own amazon.com

That would be fantastic.

Insert bara furry joke here

WonderSupes GET OUT REEEE

At the risk of undermining the tragedy of the situation, because I do genuinely like Vanessa and it hurts to see her like this, but I've always read her with a heavy Boston accent. I mean, Vanessa has always been Diana's cute semi-comic relief teenage pal. This is like, the first time readers were expected to take her seriously. It's kinda like when Raiden showed up as a badass cyborg ninja. Like, okay, but you're still that same dweeb from before.

I believe that is actually a thing somewhere. It's either the Dresden Files or American Gods. Can't quite recall which.

I read her with a slight one too, actually.

While she's Swan I picture her with a robot-y voice and it makes it easier to take her seriously.

Can't say at all I'm a fan of the decision, though. It'd be like if they took Catwoman's kid friend Holly and tried to make her into a serious edgy superhero and surprise, they did just that in Countdown

Didio said that Jiminez was the modern equivalent to Perez back around Infinite Crisis, and this page definitely supports that theory.

This man has no dick.

>Circe
Aw shit, the best Wonder Rogue is here at last!

With Cassie, she was pretty much a superhero from the beginning, so seeing her in the silly little school segments isn't as weird as re-reading Vanessa's school segments now.

He probably has like, a sheathe.

I'm sure this has been explored in detail on deviantart

I wonder who they're going to go with when Swan finally shows up in New 52.

Yeah, while I do like it as an idea, it's one that's going to require a lot of skill to pull off. Vanessa is more or less the WW equivalent of Jimmy Olsen, so imagine him as a tragic, tortured villain, only replace the "Gee wilikers!" with "Pahk da cah in Havahd Yahd.". Yeah.

>1.73 MB JPGHow goes it on this Saturday night?
Church in a few and you.

I've Got a Buddy Who's an Expert”

This whole issue feels unbelievably similar to Perez art, really.

Jimmy would have been a much better example than Holly, don't know why I didn't think of that.

Tragedy of Jimmy turning into a giant turtle kaiju thing that Superman must throw into the sun when?

Italian family is coming down from New York and will be here in the next couple hours, they make the most bomb ass food so I'm excited.

"tragedy"

>Italian family is coming down from New York and will be here in the next couple hours, they make the most bomb ass food so I'm excited.
Nice

Just in case you hadn't noticed so far, being interrupted by crossovers is going to be a theme in this run.

;_;

Jesus christ, man.

Short coffee/cry break.

Protip: if you rub sugar under your eyes and cry into your coffee, you don't need to sweeten it.

Imperiex, he who is totally not the Anti-Monitor! No wonder nobody talks about this event.

Whoa! It's that daxamite chick from the Space Pirate Diana arc. That's a deep cut right there.

Depends if Rucka's fanboying has rubbed of on anyone. Hopefully Fontana will draw from the well instead of making up some new gal.

I've never even read the event, I just have no interest whatsoever.

GENIUS

It's funny because that arc is like the most universally hated of all of WML's run. Not that it's bad per se, IMO at least. Just people don't like Diana in space.

And the thing with Darkseid was aaaalll the way back in Action #600.

Oooof.

Also hoping Invisible Jet makes it back since it was in DCSHG!

Paquette's design is my absolute favorite I've ever seen it, but it may be a bit too... vulval?

Thanks for the summary of the event we're not reading.

>Space Pirate Diana
>hated
... Are you sure? Because that's baffling to me.

>People just don't like Diana in space.
Said people are almost certainly the same retards who just want some low rent Xena knockoff. Fuck 'em.

Wait, was this Worlds At War? I found a torrent for that recently with 0 seeders, which seems oddly fitting if this is that event

Artemis been gettin' her hair did at the Jersey Shore.

Precisely, the same folks who didn't like that Perez's run was mythology focused instead of superhero-y.

Honestly man if you decide that plane is too sexual for comic books you have a shit ton of questions to ask yourself. It could be taken for a seashell as easily as a vulva.

I'm not saying you are, to clarify. Just that I find the argument ridiculous.

Our Worlds at War, yeah. I have never had any idea what it's about except that it introduced Imperiex, and that there was a really fun JSA tie-in where they had to take down a spaceship that had a planet INSIDE OF IT

I shouldn't find this funny, but:

>"Our Worlds At War" came to a close just weeks before the attacks of September 11, 2001. Adventures of Superman #596 was released one day after the attack, featuring the image of Lex Luthor's twin LexTowers heavily damaged by alien attacks on the issue's second page. The book's writer, Joe Casey, could not have intentionally referenced the attacks on the World Trade Center, as the story was written well before September. DC acknowledged that it mirrored the devastation so vividly that they made the books returnable without penalty to retailers.

15 years later, Mike Deodato traces the ruins for his own shitty Iron Man book

Maybe this is reaching, but I think I just figured out Artemis's weird codpiece.

She's Egyptian, yeah? It's a pharaoh beard.

Well, I mean that as Morrison specifically said it's designed to be that way.

I'm really into the Amazons having lots of vaginal imagery. But as Jimenez said:

>She has been at her strongest, and most interesting, as Grant Morrison and Mark Waid have argued (I believe), when she is about sex, domination, feminism, and power — but those are insanely uncomfortable topics not only to many readers but to creators themselves (trust me on this.). Maybe because I’m gay, but more likely because I’m interested in socio-sexual politics (because of Wonder Woman), I’m awed at how uncomfortable people are of the bondage and what it represents, because it means tackling their own ideas about sex and bondage.

Highly sexual imagery (other than just cheese/beef cake) is not something big companies really want in their potentially billion dollar franchises, and a lot of mainstream readers just don't want to face with that kind of thing in their funnybooks.

But again as we saw in the last thread, the amount of sexual imagery they'll allow in comics can sometimes really surprise us. I tend to have a cynical view and assume they'll avoid it, but who knows, maybe they'll totally embrace the idea.

That's a sheathe for her giant dick

I'm laughing my ass off. Takes "bearded clam" to another level.

I just feel there's a difference between imagery and the explicit depiction of genitals, and the invisible plane design in WWEO definitely falls on the former side of things.

>That's why I'll always love you.
I hate to keep harping on Trial, cause I am not a Morrison fan by any measure. But yet another thing I like about that book is that the Amazons were, for once, allowed to be explicitly shown to be gay as hell. It wasn't no vague reference, or a wink wink nudge nudge joke, it was warrior women getting into a drunken orgy as you would full well expect. Seriously, that scene was gayer than Life is Strange, and LiS makes Top Gun look hetero. And that's how it damn well should be, dammit!

Absolutely. Really I doubt I would have even seen it as one necessarily if I hadn't read so many Morrison interviews about it beforehand. So maybe I'm projecting here.

Hey man, LiS is like the Sims. It's only as gay as you make it but they totally did design it to make you think it was gay, and did give you those options

Something I've been noticing while re-reading Perez is that almost every major Amazon has a "partner" or thinly veiled lover, and Hippolyte had at least one character other than Phillipus referred to as her "consort".

>it was warrior women getting into a drunken orgy
This has to the extent the text would allow been around since Marston, so it's really just Morrison (as usual) reaching far back and bringing it forward. I'm in agreement that this is an interesting side of Diana and Themyscira and one that ought to be addressed, like I think the big thing with Life is Strange is Max's character arc feels a lot more satisfying personally and as a player if you choose the gay option at the end. It doesn't feel like a coincidence that the straight (or just 'not gay') vs. gay choice is one of restriction vs. freedom. Even if that freedom is destructive.

Family's here so I'm probably not gonna be able to give much commentary and have to dump the rest, unfortunately.

Got a little mildly explicit (though still thinly veiled) in one issue of Perez's run:

So the next issue will be autodumping but after that, thread will be on "hiatus" till I get back, sorry folks

Max and Chloe are so transparently thirsty for each other, and it's adorable! The pool scene alone...

Oh, plenty of writers have done their best to imply it, either because it makes logical sense, or it's hot, or because it's an interesting angle to explore. Rucka 2.0 basically flat out stated that Diana is tapping nearly every piece of tail on the island. Except Io, because she's not allowed to be happy.

Again, not a Morrison fan, but I really appreciate what he did with Trial. Gotta give credit where it's due.

>The Narcissus line is fantastic.
Can't make an Onan reference if your culture has never had exposure to an Abrahamic religion, I guess!

It being thinly veiled in that page you've linked actually works well because the questioning is also couched in polite/reserved terms so it comes across more like the Amazons are humoring Cartwell while still getting their point across.

The whole extent to which Artemis, Athena or the mythical Amazons play into the DC Amazons is kinda of fun to look at. They don't match up and sometimes that's more complicated on one end or the other, sometimes it's simpler. A bunch of famous mythological Amazons are the daughters of Ares for example, and there's no problem with that, but Diana herself is kind of close to a mythic Amazon heroine in that she goes out and adventures in the wide world (and in fucking dudes, too).

It reminds me a lot of All-Star Superman and All-Star Batman & Robin in that it clearly would not work in modern mainstream continuity, but brings forward a lot of elements that could perhaps be worth re-exploring or bringing back to the mainstream.

I feel like I remember a image of Diana making a joke about getting by without men at some point, but I can't place where it was from. I feel that it was posted around the "Diana is Bi guys" "news"