Why should we get so upset about a movie Sup Forums?

Why should we get so upset about a movie Sup Forums?
Lets forget its quips, its lack of internal logic and tonal shift, and think about something else
There is lots of classic Space Opera and Planetary Romance/Sword and Planet for us to enjoy instead :3

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=URsD0wqtaJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=wUfJuOp7Dck
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVQ-5tGttzR_xHhyncpEUSzurHEMspobo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Doesn't this look fun user?
youtube.com/watch?v=URsD0wqtaJ8
No studio meddling here I bet

>On Mars, tough smuggler Northwest Smith encounters a young woman being chased by a mob. Instinctively, he decides to protect her. The crowd identifies her as "Shambleau", but Smith does not recognize the name. He is surprised when the mob disperses without violence when he claims her as his own. To his puzzlement, he senses disgust, not hatred, aimed at him.

>When Smith takes a closer look at the woman, he realizes that she is not human, though she is attractive. Feeling some responsibility for her, he allows her to shelter in his room, while he conducts his illegal business.

>Smith eventually discovers firsthand that a Shambleau feeds on the life-force of others using the extensible, worm-like appendages it has instead of hair, while addicting its short-lived victims with pure ecstasy. Fortunately for Smith, his Venusian partner Yarol comes looking for him and finds him before it is too late. Unlike Smith, he knows what the creature is. Though he himself is drawn to the Shambleau, he manages to avert his gaze; then, using the Shambleau's reflection in a mirror, Yarol is able to shoot and kill it. Later, he speculates that the story of Perseus and Medusa had its origins in the activities of a Shambleau on ancient Earth.

Doesn't this sound much more interesting?

Is LOGH space opera?

>Northwest Smith heard it coming and stepped into the nearest doorway, laying a wary hand on his heat-gun’s grip, and his colorless eyes narrowed. Strange sounds were common enough in the streets of Earth’s latest colony on Mars–a raw, red little town where anything might happen, and very often did. But Northwest Smith, whose name is known and respected in every dive and wild outpost on a dozen wild planets, was a cautious man, despite his reputation. He set his back against the wall and gripped his pistol, and heard the rising shout come nearer and nearer.

Doesn't sound like there'll be any communication failures or agreement about a planets distance or requests for shirts here

youtube.com/watch?v=wUfJuOp7Dck

mostly

>Captive of the Centaurianess
>Female warriors raided the Galaxy to fill their harems on Alpha C.

Why would you want to discuss a tired old media franchise when you could instead be discussing something this lewd

>this is what women in SF used to look like

fuck trashy pulp sci-fi, post more Harlock and Lazy in general

For a second I thought the pic in OP was Space Runaway Ideon... which if you're feeling genocidal, you really out to check.

Thats not Harlock.
Leiji Matsumoto did Northwest Smith and Jirel of Joiry illustrations in the 1970s

Its Captain Future, Japan and Germany coproduced an adaptation of the old American space opera hero in the 1970s

>Planetary Romance
>Moebius, Jean-Claude Mézières, and classic 70s/80s anime influences
>no corporate fuckery

this looks great

>well cowboy, you gonna complain about a childrens movie or are we gonna go have some fun?

Can we compile an official space opera ranking? I'll start

UC Gundam>>>Herbert's Dune>>>Harlock>>>nuYamato>>>Yamato>>>OTSW>>>Hyperion Cantos>>>piss>>>Prequel Trilogy SW>>>Lynch's Dune>>>shit>>>all other Gundam>>>LoGH>>>>ur mom>>>>nuSW>>>Herbert's son's Dune

>space chopper

you couldn't do this today

What's up with retro/retrobait space fantasy and blue people? They are literally everywhere!
>tfw no qt3.14 giant blue mistress

lel, literally a cover for some Trashy Harem Isekai LN #999 minus the art style.

L-Gaim deserves a mention. Same director as Gundam and Ideon, but at lot more fun and adventurous, the mech designer went on to create his own space opera manga (Five Star Stories) based on it and Zeta Gundam, and the MC is a Chad prince fighting an even bigger Chad.

It's a pity there's no good rips of it to my knowledge.

there is no blue girl there
there is an aqua girl
possibly a mermaid?

desu senpai merpeople could not advance technologically, being under water they would not be able to smelt metal
they'd be stuck at a stone, coral?, age
so they'd have to be amphibious
and a frog or salamander type of girl just isn't as appealing
why don't you go complain about a lousy movie being made for money

>Dark Elf
>Centaur
>Cat girl
>Robot
>Mermaid
>Oni
>Robot
>Dwarf?
>Normal one
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Some of this stuff was getting reprinted a few years ago by Paizo Publishing producing an imprint called Planet Stories, named after the 1940s magazine

What are you smoking? have you even seen Fantastic Planet? Draag aren't merepeople, they live on land, are so euphoric and enlightened they kidnap smaller sentient race for lulz and to serve an organic toys for children, also they have sex by astrally projecting to the moon and warging ballroom dancing statues there, how much more based can a species be? SW's unimaginative dump of a universe with its of copypasted planets and races ain't got shit on these literal big guys.

>yfw blue people and white girls getting BLUED is probably the oldest fantasy trope on Earth
Really makes you think

Yet another reason why Shiva > Vishnu.

>there are eleven - 11 - threads on the front page whining about Star Wars
user, pls.
Just move on and enjoy something else
There are plenty of other space adventures to immerse yourself in

Damn. My goddessfu Kali may blue or even BLACK me, me wife and me wife's son anytime.
This is now Hindu mythos a.k.a. the retroest space fantasy thread

>The 'Blue' colour of the gods you're talking about refers to the term 'Dark'. Thus- Lord Rama, Lord Krishna, Indra and other such gods are dark-complexioned

If only most retro sci-fi wasn't so shit. I read Star Kings because it was recommended on some 'essential sci-fi' chart and it was literally the worst book I ever finished. I realise that it was probably groundbreaking for its time (first Western sci-fi space opera isekai or something), but today it reads like an unimaginative schoolboy's Mary Sue fic. I've also read Voyage to Arcturus and while I liked most of the imagery and concepts, and the suspense, in the end it just went nowhere without any coherent closure, and I felt sort of cheated. These two put me off older sci-fi stuff. Though Hodgson's Night Land is still one of the most impressive fantasy for me despite all its flaws (but it's offtop, because not space opera).

>that feel when this Mahabharata science fantasy project got canned

read Leigh Brackett and C.L. Moore for 30s/40s

Read Samuel Delanys Babel-17 and Nova, and M. John Harrisons The Centauri Device for 1960s New Wave spin on old pulp tropes

Roger Zelaznys Lord of Light?

Oh wait, perhaps it wasn't
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVQ-5tGttzR_xHhyncpEUSzurHEMspobo

Read it and liked. But it's still a different thing. Different in scope, in themes, basically just your average social sci-fi dystopia with the pretty generic 'evil religion/corrupt politicians abusing power' theme. What I would like is a Tolkienesque epic set in space, with powerful godlike beings fighting, causing destruction on an OT scale, crushing lesser races and their worlds underfoot. But something more decent than WH40k, because WH is shit

but user, tolkien sucks

the best shit is
>Legend of the Galactic Heroes
>Space Captain Harlock
>Space Battleship Yamato 2199
prove me wrong

Get into Vonnegut. His first book, Player Piano, was written in the fifties but is a lot more relevant today than it was then and his writing style doesn't really taste all that much

>UC that high and LOGH that low
I don't think so weeb

You forgot Cobra, fàm.

>the best shit is anime made long after the fact

I honestly only read the OP, and I thought that this thread was just about space adventure anime when I made that post.

LoGH is ok as history nerd/poltard wank fantasy but it's shit as sci-fi
>muh teleport drive which lets me teleport everywhere
>lel have to fight for some shit corridor because muh 'non-navigable space'
Just open a portal into your enemy's territory, nigga and send fuckin drones instead of manned ships with 5star restaurants, huge apartments, bridge the size of a football field, jacuzzis and what not for the spoiled noble fuccbois - but no, that way there's no drama!

I prefer the episode where Thrawn was an alcoholic space Nazi but still a better one than Hux, Kylo and Sheev rolled into one.

I didn't say I want Tolkien, I said I want a large epic with fuckin badass 'gods' akin to what Tolkien was trying to achieve with SIlmarillion, but died too soon to accomplish. But in spess. And no WH\MCU.