OT Luke Skywalker Appreciation

Lots of bad thoughts and feelings surrounding Star Wars right now. Let's look back and talk about one of the greatest heroes in cinema.
>tfw there will never be a satisfying hero's journey across a movie trilogy ever again
>never ever

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_ayT0EZwbks
youtu.be/YDqgJye7hyc
youtube.com/watch?v=Mlom_JwdaSE&feature=youtu.be
youtu.be/en8bh60K7m8
youtube.com/watch?v=_5Iv_sazoGg
youtube.com/watch?v=i0biqMZrxJ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm taking Captain Solo and his friends. You can either profit from this or be destroyed, but I warn you not to underestimate my power.

Burp the force isn't real rey burp yoda burned all the books burp want milkies?

Hey that sounds like a compelling character
It's like the world y'know? Like its grey, and not black and white cuz the world just doesn't work like that anymore.

It never did, but we have myths and legends like the original trilogy to give us something to aspire to, instead of wallowing in the muck of harsh reality.

Holy-fucking-Shit.

From confronting Sidious AND Vader to milking some Alien's tits?

What the fuck?

>youtube.com/watch?v=_ayT0EZwbks
OT Luke and EU Luke are the true canon. Luke reformed the Jedi, married, and had a son.

>bring back main character of the OT
>he acts completely different to how we remember him
>and not in a good way

Still can't decide if the writer is that incompetent or if they just don't give a fuck that they willfully ruined one of the greatest character in cinema forever

Exactly, which makes Luke's ultimate fate of being a failure of a jedi master and being a feeble old man who sucks on alien tittays is all the more powerful. Having heroes to look up to is incredibly dumb and every single good person is just a massive fuck up waiting to happen.

This is not the time for myths, it's time to stand up against trump #resist

This. Things have got so bad with corporations buying up IPs to run them into the ground for $$$$ that it's best to just ignore it and re-embrace whatever quality there is in the EU. Official canon can not and must not be respected when it is chopped and changed only to serve profits first and not storytelling or art.

It was intentional

So is there any webms of sloth tits and the milking thereof?

Tbh, haven't even touched the EU stuff. So for me, the storybook ending for Luke and the main cast is just this
youtu.be/YDqgJye7hyc
everything else afterwards of Luke restoring the Jedi Order, help bringing peace to the galaxy that actually lasts beyond 30 years, and not being a general fuck up is just what comes natural to this ending and doesn't really need to be shown in another sequel trilogy.

I can only see children of the future recoil in disgust and revolt over Luke Skywalker and how he ended up.
I can see children telling their moms they never wanna become like Skywalker.
Whatever legacy hamill created he officially tore down now.

It was completely intentional. The only reason based Mark went along with it (other than being bound by contract) was that he saw that fans liked him in TFA even though he wasn't sure they would, and so deferred to the director because he wanted to make Luke's fans happy.

I'm a jedi, like my father before me.

For me canon is what George Lucas was involved in. At least he had oversight on the EU.

Luke was a boring virgin boy. Han was the chad SW character.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mlom_JwdaSE&feature=youtu.be

i dont blame Hamill for this one bit

>this is supposed to be the same person that never gave up on his father, a father who has fallen into the dark side of the force, who have killed countless including his own teacher, as the person who is afraid of the shadow of a mere child, his nephew, and attempted to kill him out of fear, causing nearly all the problems in the sequels and inadvertently getting his friend and brother in law killed
BRAVO you post-modernist hollywood fucks,

Disney uses Star Wars to demoralize ppl. They turned the male heroes into losers and killed them off, meanwhile pushing stupid feminist tropes and a Mary Sue. these movies are extremely depressing.

My favorite scene is honestly when Luke allows himself to be captured by Vader and they have a heart-to-heart. Vader is at his most vulnerable and human when Luke says that his father is truly dead after Vader says that it is too late for him and he should give up looking for good within him.

What happened bros?

Jesus fucking Christ.

Hero?! The man is a hermit who abandoned his family and tried to kill his nephew in his sleep.

>Disappear
>create a puzzle for someone to solve it
>just tell them you want to die on some reclusive island when they find you
>tell everyone you abandoned the Jedi but still keep and uphold the ancient texts
>still train the crazy girl
>do a fucking awkward Jedi hologram lightsaber fight

Seriously, what the fuck did he mean by this?

This.

That's what the cultural marxists over at Pedowood would want you to believe. But there was a time when he was loved. Yeah, people probably liked the cool Han Solo more, but everyone knew Luke was THE HERO.

Post modernism happened. The need for Hollywood to destroy myth and legend happened. PT were a clumsy mess, but they had world building and told a cohesive story.

No if you'll excuse me I'm going to listen to binary sunset and cry myself to sleep.

At last you woke up, user. Actually, even when things turn out right, I fucking hate this discussion on what is canon and what is not. There is no canon, you can consider and rewatch things in whatever ways you like.

Canon means basically what you'd expect official material to consider later on, but what of it?

Yeah it's kind of insane to read reviews that splooge all over the last jedi and the reviewers don't even care an ounce to what happened to Luke character wise. They got away with it because most people wouldn't care.
We'll always have the OT.
youtu.be/en8bh60K7m8

They made a sequel to "and they lived happily ever after." Nobody told them that this was a terrible idea.

Luke "I converted my father, but my nephew is another matter" Skywalker
Luke "If you have evil dream you gonna taste my beam" Skywalker
Luke "You're thinking about the Dark Side so I'm off this ride" Skywalker
Luke "All my deeds were for nothing, I better start running" Skywalker

Luke, Star Wars our childhoods are dead, and Disney murdered them

>insert laugh track

Grow up and save the western tradition. Its on the line.

>I am a Jedi, like my father before me

Such a great line. His defense of Vader's humanity was beautiful.

>muh moral ambiguity

this meme is just an excuse at this stage

I sat through TFA just going through the motions but when Luke turned around for those 20 seconds at the end I got so fucking excited and I couldn't wait to see Luke's journey.

And then this.

This. Mark is based.

>one of the greatest heroes in cinema history
>best joker
>does a shit movie to please neckbeards while making a shit ton of money
>actually a nice guy irl unlike other hollywood shitheads

>For we do not need to fear the journey alone, for all of the heroes have gone before us. - Joseph Campbell

He is truly a fucking great guy
youtube.com/watch?v=_5Iv_sazoGg

Would love to meet him

That's missing the important part where the hero just becomes a complete and utter failure because I'm an edgy teenager that thinks happy endings are gay.

I fucking hate what shit like game of thrones(just an example) did to modern media. Every fucking thing has to be in a moral gray area and we dont get anything actually fun anymore. Its great sometimes but jesus fucking christ what happened to escapism

I think that's the point with got: that it's the complete opposite of escapism, in which every single thing that's in the story must end up with maximum edginess ft. gory deaths so that you can get cliffhangers galore

desu that's probably the reason grrm came up with a gorillion characters for got: so that they could be murdered in countless grisly ways

that hit hard

Thats just kinda the thing with asoiaf. It works there since the world was written around it. In other shit, not so much.

He signed on with Lucas pre sale.

(((They))) saw the opportunity to destroy a white male icon.

Geeee (((what))) happened????? We may never know.

Reminder that even based Hamill hates the new canon

youtube.com/watch?v=i0biqMZrxJ0

you mean you're going to watch another peterson diatribe on youtube and feel like you're some sort of intellectual. stop embarrassing yourself

>In October 2012, he sold his production company Lucasfilm, and with it the Star Wars franchise, to The Walt Disney Company
>Casting began around August 2013, with Abrams meeting with potential actors for script readings and screen tests. Open auditions were held in the UK, Ireland, and the United States in November 2013 for the roles of Rachel and Thomas.[128][129][130] Casting began in earnest in January 2014, because of changes to the script by Kasdan and Abrams

One thing that sticks out of these carefully selected clips is that Mark Hamill still sees Luke as the hero from the OT. An active hero who in a story which revolved around Luke, Leia, and Han. But that would make any new hero to the new trilogy completely pointless. Rey wouldn't stand a chance in the eyes of the audience if she stood next to ROTJ Luke. Luke had to fall for the new trilogy to work.
Just let it go, Mark.

I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

There is (or was...) countless novels post OT proving you wrong. Writing a story with OT Luke without him being the hero is possible and thinking otherwise is fucking lazy.

>>tfw there will never be a satisfying hero's journey across a movie trilogy ever again
>>never ever

Lord of the Rings came pretty damn close.

user Im sorry to say but these movies are an ongoing story, they dont exist in a vaccum. Luke as a character accomplished nothing and learned nothing in his adventures, the empire somehow managed to get stronger and build a bigger death star that destroyed even more planets than the previous one, he even went back on helping redeem fallen characters and resides to just trying to kill them if they were hinted as feeling the dark side in them, the empire persists and there is an even stronger "vader" character around now, he then dies on an island seeing someone who is far stronger than him even without the training he himself suffered through, he comes to resent the jedi and the force instead of believing in hope and the power of good, and he never sees his friends again because they are either dead or he died before he saw them.

>they dont exist in a vacuum
They do if I want them to, there is absolutely no reason why I should accept Disney's Nu-Sw as anything more than shitty fanfiction

>Luke had to fall for the new trilogy to work.
he did fell, and it doesn't work at all anyway. With or without Luke the new trilogy has no legs to stand on it's own to begin with. It was poorly planned, poorly thought out, poorly directed and poorly received. Then again what else to expect from creative hacks such as JJ KK and RJ?

What is that song? I feel like I should know it and am a brainlet

>virgin
That's why Luke was waifu material. Is waifu material.

Why did they choose to go with the fucking desert-hermit outfit for Luke in both TLJ periods (Jedi Academy, Exile)? Why not some version of his ROTJ outfit, that shit was sick.
>Be wearing farm boy clothes and pilot suit in New Hope
>Be wearing a pilot suit and training clothes in Empire
>Wear a fucking Black Space Hitman Suit in ROTJ because you're a bad mother now
Was fucking perfect. Outfits don't mean anything in Star Wars as character expression anymore, goddamnit

>Why did they choose to go with the fucking desert-hermit outfit for Luke in both TLJ periods (Jedi Academy, Exile)? Why not some version of his ROTJ outfit, that shit was sick.
>>Be wearing farm boy clothes and pilot suit in New Hope
>>Be wearing a pilot suit and training clothes in Empire
>>Wear a fucking Black Space Hitman Suit in ROTJ because you're a bad mother now
>Was fucking perfect. Outfits don't mean anything in Star Wars as character expression anymore, goddamnit

Despite Didney being a massive company they don't understand toys. Why they didn't bring George on to consult and listen to him at least enough to keep him on board is beyond me. The man knew his design.

From the ending scene of gladiator.

Whatever dude. I'm sure you have shit tier beliefs but wont share them.

It’s depressing and I’m not even white or male.

This. Taking away his green lightsaber and ROTJ design elements then turning him into Ben Kenobi 2.0 was retarded.